Sony Sends Pre-Emptive Threat Letter To Journalists

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know the best way to get people talking about stuff? Tell them they can't talk about it.

Yes, it sucks for Sony that its emails were hacked. It would suck for just about any company, I'm sure. But that doesn't change the fact that the media has every legal right to report on those emails if they find it newsworthy. Threatening the media is not just counterproductive, it makes Sony look incredibly clueless and thin-skinned while at the same time just adding more life to the story itself.

If they keep this up people will just assume theres something they dont want found and search harder.

Isn't it more against disclosing the contents of the emails than the fact the hack occured? I somewhat agree if that's the case.

Clean up their image? Please, the Internet absolutely fawns over Sony. They don't have an image problem.

Not sure which internet you are on, but since roughly around the time of the root-kit debacle Sony has been taken a beating. Both in their image and their performance as a company.

Sony has bad PR, like the rootkit debacle. I think they have the right to protect their products and IP. They do not, however, have the right to damage my property in doing so. Unfortunately, that combined with clumsy and/or bad PR and other press, it doesn't exude anything svelt.

"Stop putting our peoples personal information online"
"HOW DARE YOU THIS IS FREEDOM OF THE PRESS"
Yeah eat shit

Sorry, this isn't a freedom of the press issue. Sony's image aside, if I break into your house and steal all of your things, I can't then make money off photos and articles about all the stuff I stole, then sell your stolen stuff and make more money - posting Sony's stolen property simply perpetuates the likelihood of these things occurring in the future.

-ZAM

I came here to issue the standard "Oh sony, you are your own worst enemy" statement, but read the actual letter first. The reality of what Sony is asking is very different than what most are thinking. They are well within their rights to demand what they are as they are demanding the contents of those emails not be reported. That is not protected speech and the media is probably going to find itself in very hot water over this if they do so. Sony is basically saying, "Hey the contents of those emails are confidential and stolen, hands off". They are in fact correct as the emails do qualify as stolen property and possession and divulging the contents of them is going to get the media in a heap of problems.

They are in fact correct as the emails do qualify as stolen property and possession and divulging the contents of them is going to get the media in a heap of problems.

Or, maybe not:

Bartnicki v. Vopper is the most protective of journalists and sets out the primary “test,” holding that a broadcaster could not be held civilly liable for publishing documents or tapes illegally procured by a third party. The court set out three criteria for legitimate first amendment protection: (1) the media outlet played no role in the illegal interception; (2) media received the information lawfully; (3) the issue was a matter of public concern.

http://www.cjr.org/the_observatory/the_legality_of_publishing_hac.php

Angry much? did you actually read the letter? Or did you just want to come in here and herp derp bag on sony? I said according to the law they were technically correct in how that letter was worded and nothing more. I initially came here to bag on Sony as well, but that little thing called reading got in the way. Sorry but your comments are completely uncalled for.

Hard to say for certain what will happen. But like I said, "technically" sony is in the right here and for once aren't being the douchebags..Not terribly often that happens. That said even if it is ruled in favor of the media, in this instance we can honestly say they are certainly the dirtbags.

Besides, just give it a month or two and Sony will do something monumentally stupid that we can rail on them for. I'm pretty sure it has become a habit for them at this point.:D

I'm on the fence. On the one hand, damn if privacy isn't going out with the dodo.

On the other, if it's in the public domain anyway...seems a facetious distinction not to allow the media to report on it. And also, sets a more dangerous precedent, IMO, if in fact there were nefarious deeds the e-mails disclosed that the public should know about.

Back