Sony Sells A Million PS4s in 24 Hours of North American Launch

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The numbers are in for the first day of sales in North America and to no one’s surprise, Sony hit one right out of the park with totals of over one million units sold within a 24 hour period.

The million in 24 hours number means that this is Sony’s fastest selling console ever, surpassing the PlayStation 2′s launch in Japan which had units flying off the shelves back in 2000.

Probably would have been more if there were more units.
Then again, part of buying something like a PS4 is exclusivity, having one when no one else does.

No they sold a million units from preorder sales + the first 24 hours.
Yup i fully expect very similar numbers for xbox1 hell i expect both of them to sell out till like February of next year. Anything less then call me surprised.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sold near nothing in the first 24 hours because almost all the people who got them were preorders.

Probably would have been more if there were more units.
Then again, part of buying something like a PS4 is exclusivity, having one when no one else does.

Not really, people buy them as they want the new console. I would have preordered a Xbox One had I wanted any of the games that will be out for it when it first comes out. Only game that I would be interesting in playing right now is Halo 5, but that doesn't come out for another month and even at that I'll probably just rent the game so I can wait.

But what you said about numbers is true. People that have a PS3 and like the PS3 are going to most likely go out a buy a PS4, same for Xbox 360 owners going to buy the Xbox One. Gamers have grown up, they have money and they can buy new toys. Plus parents like to spoil kids. So If they had more they would have sold more. That is one of the reasons they did better. They are comparing the PS2 sales to now, where they have many more ready on day one. I think at first they only had like 500-750K of them ready, they sold all those and so pumped up production to make more to get 1 million of them ready. Had they had more ready they would have sold more.

I think Nintendo and Microsoft learned their lesson last time of not having enough systems at launch and hopefully that would have taught Microsoft to get as many systems out the door as fast as possible this time around. In a way I am surprised Sony did knew to be ready as the PS3 didn't start off selling strong. A lot of people buying them were doing so as they thought they could turn around and make a quick buck when they sold out, then it ended up with most stores still having them on the shelf so people returned them. the day after they launched you could find them anywhere you looked. But while it started off slow, they did get their numbers up and get a following that actually were looking forward to the PS4.

And that is they should want. They lose money on the consoles and make it back on game sells. You would want as large of a base as soon as possible to start selling games and other accessories to start making back money as fast as possible.

No they sold a million units from preorder sales + the first 24 hours.

yup, but saying it like that doesn't sound as great.

As I stated in a different thread a few days ago, I had thought that both sides already announced that they had 1 million systems pre-ordered, so in that case nobody should be surprised by the numbers as they were already known from pre-order numbers.

Of the 2 I think Sony has a hand of on MS this time. Nice start!

I'm sure the Xbone will sell just as well or there abouts but a million units in 24 hrs is a million units in 24 hrs. Compared to any other console release in history it blows them right out of the water by far. It's not like they didn't have Pre-orders for consoles 7 years ago.

So many people downplaying this, we should be thrilled that both these consoles are selling in record numbers.

I'm sure the Xbone will sell just as well or there abouts but a million units in 24 hrs is a million units in 24 hrs. Compared to any other console release in history it blows them right out of the water by far. It's not like they didn't have Pre-orders for consoles 7 years ago.

So many people downplaying this, we should be thrilled that both these consoles are selling in record numbers.

You are overlooking one thing though. They don't have unlimited preorder. They can only make so many in a given amount of time. Both Microsoft and Sony sold all their preoder systems, then figured out how to make a few more in time and opened up more for preorders.

Yes the numbers are very nice, but that just shows that companies are actually getting better at preparing, Last time around they only had a few hundred thousand set to go at launch. This time they had a million. It wasn't open for everyone to just order what they wanted and they make them. Pre-orders of both systems have not been possible for awhile now. Also as stated it wasn't over a 24 hour period because people would have preordered months ago. It is 1 million units released on day 1 of their availability to the public. Next time around they could both make 2 million units and probably sell those with little trouble.

I saw a bunch at Costco yesterday. Not selling that fast in my area.

Yup i fully expect very similar numbers for xbox1 hell i expect both of them to sell out till like February of next year. Anything less then call me surprised.

I don't know if xbox one will have 1 million to sell.

I don't know if xbox one will have 1 million to sell.

They already said they do. From an article from a person at Microsoft when it was brought up about now many preorders the PS4 had.

“When I saw reports of Sony having a million or 1.5 million pre-orders for the PS4, I didn’t even think twice about it. We’re not disclosing pre-order numbers at the moment for accounting reasons but I know for a fact we have just as many."

So they should have just as many to sell.

But what you said about numbers is true. People that have a PS3 and like the PS3 are going to most likely go out a buy a PS4, same for Xbox 360 owners going to buy the Xbox One.

Not so sure about that. Everyone I know that I used to game with on the 360 ended up ordering a PS4 this time around. There's definitely been a shift because of the initially consumer-hostile plans Microsoft had for the Xbox One before the backlash became too strong and they relented.

I won't touch an Xbox One either because the hardware is less powerful than the PS4 and Microsoft expects people to pay $100 for their marketing & engagement metrics camera. I'll just until there's a must-have game available on PS4 thats not available on PC and then I'll grab one.

Guys lets clear something up there is NO SUBSIDY ANYWHERE. A subsidy is when someone gives you money to promote something, IE the government pays interest on your loan to get you to goto college. And NGO gives you money to make it cheaper to vaccinate poor kids. It ain't a freaking subsidy if there is no benefit to you its just a damn contract. Do you all walk around talking about nice it is for your apartment complex to give you a subsidy because they let you pay by month instead of for a whole year up front? lol.

LOL ... BF4 can have 64 players multi-player ... Xbox One can only have 32 players

Xbox One is more for Soccer Moms, Tweeners and Clueless Fanboi's

Guys lets clear something up there is NO SUBSIDY ANYWHERE. A subsidy is when someone gives you money to promote something, IE the government pays interest on your loan to get you to goto college. And NGO gives you money to make it cheaper to vaccinate poor kids. It ain't a freaking subsidy if there is no benefit to you its just a damn contract. Do you all walk around talking about nice it is for your apartment complex to give you a subsidy because they let you pay by month instead of for a whole year up front? lol.

What?

On ebay Canada this evening, final auction prices vary between $610 and $630, including shipping. After taken out the eBay and Paypal commission as well as the cost of shipping, we are talking a reasonable and easy profit here.

On ebay Canada this evening, final auction prices vary between $610 and $630, including shipping. After taken out the eBay and Paypal commission as well as the cost of shipping, we are talking a reasonable and easy profit here.

Not as bad then as the last time around. People were seeing Xbox 360s and Wiis going for 3x the retail price. But still not a bad little extra money.

LOL ... BF4 can have 64 players multi-player ... Xbox One can only have 32 players

Xbox One is more for Soccer Moms, Tweeners and Clueless Fanboi's

How come the Battlefield 4 Showdown between Team Europe vs Team USA was 32 vs 32 on Xbox One? Pretty sure that adds up to 64. If you wanna be a fanboy, we can talk about the restrictions Sony busted out a week before launch to force you into their online services and making you install games even if it was a retail disc. They don't exactly have large HDD's and the games are 30 to 50GBs. Add to that you can't use external memory and they are as much if not more anti consumer than MS has been. I lean towards more so because they just threw it out there right before launch. I cancelled my pre order because of it. Plus, you know, all the launch games I can get on PC or they are pretty terrible. At least MS has exclusive games coming out in 'large' (comparative to PS4 anyway) quantity in the first couple of months. I'll pick up a PS4 eventually so I don't only support one system. I just think we need to be fair here.

Since all the other console launches were heavily limited by supply for several months, this seems like more of a supply chain accomplishment than a sales accomplishment.

I don't know what the rush is. None of the launch games look like they are worth a crap. I don't understand why they don't launch these systems with their big franchises. I know you want to sell a bazillion copies of the big franchise so you throw it at the end of the last gen instead, but if you can move a million units on day one maybe give us something worth buying it for. No metal gear no uncharted. Who cares about killzone?

I'm not sure the xbone will sell 1 million, it is a $100 more than the ps4. But we'll see.
Also I see the ps4 doing even better worldwide.

I'm getting both systems because the ps4 won't have the racing game I want, and xbone will have Forza (might be skipping 5, but forza 6 for sure).

Anyways, gj $ony, I don't want to be giving all my monies to M$! :D

I'm not sure the xbone will sell 1 million, it is a $100 more than the ps4. But we'll see.
Also I see the ps4 doing even better worldwide.

I'm getting both systems because the ps4 won't have the racing game I want, and xbone will have Forza (might be skipping 5, but forza 6 for sure).

Anyways, gj $ony, I don't want to be giving all my monies to M$! :D
Pre orders are sold out, if you assume that microsoft and sony has had similar production they will sell as much as sony. PS4 doesn't really have a world wide release they have token releases with jacked up prices and a few units in counties outside of the US and EU.

What about in Japan? That is Sony's stronghold, I'm betting they have good numbers there as well.

I think Japan gets PS4 in Feb 2014.
There's really no reason for Sony to rush in Japan, since Sony's pretty much guaranteed to dominate there.

Yeah, the local Gamestops around here in Kansas City said a lot of people have been cancelling their Xbox One pre-orders and going with the PS4. One girl said she was alarmed. Another guy said the district manager had told them in a brief meeting to try and push the Xbox One as they had a lot of stock they didn't expect to have.

Not surprised

In an attempt to break the chain of fanboy bullshit on both sides. Let's just simply say, Congrats Sony on a successful launch.

Now please jump on your developers and get them to pump out some games so I have a reason to buy one as well. :D

Enjoying my 1 out of a million ps4. Games are actually better than I thought they would be.

I don't know what the rush is. None of the launch games look like they are worth a crap. I don't understand why they don't launch these systems with their big franchises. I know you want to sell a bazillion copies of the big franchise so you throw it at the end of the last gen instead, but if you can move a million units on day one maybe give us something worth buying it for. No metal gear no uncharted. Who cares about killzone?

They don't launch with their super polished A++ games because they will sell almost every game they can put on the shelves without the extra effort anyways. Also, publishers realize that the PS3/360 market is huge compared to the potential PS4/Xbone market of about 2-4 million systems by the end of 2013, so they develop for the last gen and port to the new gen.

Holiday 2014 should be a different story as the install base of these new systems should be much larger and devs would have another year working with the new consoles.

Back