Sony Rating Cut To One Notch Above Junk

HardOCP News

[H] News
While Sony makes some nice items, most of their products are deserve the title junk

Here's the question: Does the observation affect the results?

Does a respected firm like Moody's giving a downgrade to Sony mean that people (correctly or incorrectly) perceive Sony to be failing, thus making them a bad investment, thus making people sell stock or refuse to deal with Sony as a business partner, thus making it even harder for Sony to get financing or revenue, which in the end results in Sony becoming junk-rated?

In other words, does a meaningful downgrade result in a self-fulfilling prophecy if people respect the ratings agency too much?

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1039311238 said:
Here's the question: Does the observation affect the results?

Does a respected firm like Moody's giving a downgrade to Sony mean that people (correctly or incorrectly) perceive Sony to be failing, thus making them a bad investment, thus making people sell stock or refuse to deal with Sony as a business partner, thus making it even harder for Sony to get financing or revenue, which in the end results in Sony becoming junk-rated?

In other words, does a meaningful downgrade result in a self-fulfilling prophecy if people respect the ratings agency too much?

i can see and agree with that to some point. If investors use all the data at their disposal, seeing a downgrade will certain chase some away as both potential investors and consumers.

now that also said, Sony has been dropping the ball on product quality for a while now. I have sold old receivers from them that will probably outlast a lot of my current audiophile equipment...yet some of their newer stuff i've worked with have been downright shoddy and poorly built.

It's a sad state we are in now.

TV demand has fallen, just like that of PC's.

people these days prefer watching shit on smallass tablets and even smaller smartphones. Tablets are killing everything.

people these days prefer watching shit on smallass tablets and even smaller smartphones. Tablets are killing everything.

I prefer getting my TVs cheaper than what Sony sells them for.

FOr me I stopped supporting Sony in hardware or media right after the root-kit fiasco. While that may not the main reason for most, it was for me.:mad:

Yeah Sony makes nice pieces of technology but they royally suck at price points.

Oh crap, now the History channel is probably going to start a whole new series on this with a whole bunch of nutbags coming out of the wood work with all kinds of theories of extra terrestrials. Maybe Big Foot put it there.

I like and buy Sony hardware. Sometimes their prices are just ridiculous and do not warrant the tag.

Oh crap, now the History channel is probably going to start a whole new series on this with a whole bunch of nutbags coming out of the wood work with all kinds of theories of extra terrestrials. Maybe Big Foot put it there.

There's an echo on this board! :D

Yikes..

I knew they were not doing as well as they had in the past, but I had no idea it was THAT bad...

FOr me I stopped supporting Sony in hardware or media right after the root-kit fiasco. While that may not the main reason for most, it was for me.:mad:

Yep. Since that BS I've tried to avoid Sony products like they have the plague.

Mediocre products at high prices
Rootkits
SecuROM
RIAA/MPAA
Extra DRM on top of DRM

A long time ago I use to buy Sony products, now I try to avoid them.

Maybe Sony should buy some junk mortgages to get Moody's to up their rating. Those things are AAA in Moody's book.

There's an echo on this board! :D

haha yeah whats with this guy? :confused:

from this thread:

from another thread:

history channel vendetta? :p

I laughed

Maybe stop fucking overpricing your stuff SONY like its made out of Solid Gold, and maybe you'll start selling stuff again.

Your TV's are twice the price of Samsungs in some cases, and the Samsung ones are literally almost the same quality. That's not right, that's not right at all..........

Two years ago I was looking at 32" 1080p televisions. I got the Hitachi for under $400 while the equivalent Sony was running for around double that but the Samsung was comparatively priced at around $500 and gave more features than the Sony, with more inputs (it was either 4 or 5 HDMI versus the Sony's 3). Sony was the byword for quality 20-30 years ago with Trinitron monitors/televisions. But, since the mid-90s they've been rapidly less viable as a premium brand. Once Samsung proved they could offer Sony quality at a fraction of the cost, that was the death knell.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we are living in an anti-cyberpunk world, where technology is a large intricate part of our lives, yet it it exists in such a matter that it is not necessarily utilitarian, but rather a device to promote techno hipsters and wannabees.

Our future should have been this:
cyberpunk.jpg

Not this:
hipster2.jpg

Damn hipsters.....

And yeah, bye Sony, thanks for your rootkits and other brilliant anti-consumer ideas from the last 8 years or so.

TV's can only go so far because they last so long. I haven't had a TV last less then 5 years, I replace computer components every 2-3 years.

Sony out prices themselves, doesn't offer anything viable over competition other then looks.

Question is: Did Sony actually invent the root kit or did they steal it from someone else?

One notch above? Well, that's certainly better than what I regard Sony products as. Happy to have a completely Sony free house.

I said it before and I'll say it again, we are living in an anti-cyberpunk world, where technology is a large intricate part of our lives, yet it it exists in such a matter that it is not necessarily utilitarian, but rather a device to promote techno hipsters and wannabees.

cyberpunk.jpg

Not this:
hipster2.jpg

its just a grim reminder of how vain the world is

Question is: Did Sony actually invent the root kit or did they steal it from someone else?

Doesn't matter to me. They implemented it.

If and when others are found out, I will abandon them also.

cyberpunk.jpg

Not this:
hipster2.jpg

So basically you're upset that your brand of anti-social lifestyle is replaced by another anti-social lifestyle.

I own a Panasonic Plasma and Samsung HDTV, I told a friend to buy a Samsung, but because he got what he thought was a good deal on a SONY HDTV, he ended up with a real turd compared to my older TV's.
Samsung is the new Sony anyway.

How ironic, from 2 days ago:

Sony DVR Useless After Rovi Stops TV Guide OnScreen
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=15646&p=42468#p42468
Not even a software patch to set the clock so the DVR can at least retain 1980s VCR functionality will be provided.

Just another reason to throw on the fire as why I loathe Sony. It seems as if they want to constantly refresh my hatred towards them. It's almost as if they are actively trying to make people hate them.

So basically you're upset that your brand of anti-social lifestyle is replaced by another anti-social lifestyle.

Honestly I hope that top screen doesn't happen. Not that I would EVER adopt that lifestyle, it would just be another thing to SHM at.

I think TV makers and big content kind of missed the last few years. Seeking more profit no doubt. 50+ inch 1080p panels for how many years now?

If my memory serves, they did steal other people's intellectual property in the design of their rootkit.

Quite ironic that they infringed on other people's work to try to keep people from infringing on theirs.

Tablets are anti-social? Since when?
Techno hipsters are anything but anti-social. :confused:

Back