sony PSP worth it?

I love mine Im usin it right now 4 this message but ya def need the xtra memory

with todays apps u can no longer brick a psp, and if u do, u can always unbrick it

do you guys encode your movies to 320x200 or to the native res of 4xx x 2xx- whatever it is, can't remember this moment.

Most software let you choose the resolution. And I heard divx is coming for it, so no more converting..(about time). When I first got mine, when it came out, if you'd have asked me is it worth it? I'd have said....eh....but now, looking how far it has come....well worth it. 3.90 firmware now has skype...internet phone, internet radio....which is great, not to mention homebrew, DVD's that now have files of the movie ready to slide onto the psp, I can throw a ps1 game in my ps3 and play it on my psp. How cool is that? By far the best portable media device. And it keeps getting better.

Woah, what settings do you use for that? I have usually come out to about 900mb for a ~2 hour movie on the PSP. Are you encoding at the full PSP screen resolution? I used XviD4PSP to do the encoding. (disclaimer: this was a while ago, the encoders may have gotten better)

I just encoded a 1hour TV show and the file came out to ~160mb. It's encoded at 480x272 which is the PSP's full resolution.

so, i've been doing a little more research on the homebrew scene, let me see if i have it straight:

psp slim (2000) requires the pandora battery/magicstick mod in order to downgrade to fw1.5. once downgraded you can install m33 3.9 which basically works as a hacked fw which gives you the upgrades of the official firmware (new features, increased memory card capacities, etc) but still allows you to run homebrew apps.

are those pandora battery/magicstick combos on ebay worth the money? i'd like to be able to repair my psp incase of a shitty homebrew install that hoses it.

so, i've been doing a little more research on the homebrew scene, let me see if i have it straight:

psp slim (2000) requires the pandora battery/magicstick mod in order to downgrade to fw1.5. once downgraded you can install m33 3.9 which basically works as a hacked fw which gives you the upgrades of the official firmware (new features, increased memory card capacities, etc) but still allows you to run homebrew apps.

are those pandora battery/magicstick combos on ebay worth the money? i'd like to be able to repair my psp incase of a shitty homebrew install that hoses it.

PSP-2000's cannot run FW1.50. What you will have to do is use Pandora to down/upgrade straight to FW3.90 M33. You'll need Despertar del Cementerio to downgrade a PSP-2000.

http://exophase.com/files/psp/despertar_cementerio4.rar

I personally wouldn't trust the combo's off eBay. I would recommend trying to find someone locally that has a hacked PSP that can help you out. If you're anywhere near Detroit, MI I'll help you out.

It all depends on many factors to decided if buying it on ebay is worth it. I got mine off of ebay becuase I have a full time job and a wife so I don't have much free time and creating the battery would have just taken too much of my time. Also 50 bucks isn't much to me I spend that much on dinner all the time. So it was very much worth it for me.

But if you have free time, no money, and are intuitive then buying it might not be for you. My brother just made a battery and magic card and said it took him about 5 hours total which includes information gathering and buying the stuff needed and 5 hours of my time is worth much more than the cost of buying it online so again for me it was money very well spent.

acascianelli is under the notion that buying it on ebay has a direct correlation with retardation so be careful if you buy it online you might catch retardation or the HIV. But he is correct the best way to do it is to find someone who has one and get in contact with them.

PSP-2000's cannot run FW1.50. What you will have to do is use Pandora to down/upgrade straight to FW3.90 M33. You'll need Despertar del Cementerio to downgrade a PSP-2000.

http://exophase.com/files/psp/despertar_cementerio4.rar

I personally wouldn't trust the combo's off eBay. I would recommend trying to find someone locally that has a hacked PSP that can help you out. If you're anywhere near Detroit, MI I'll help you out.

damn, more variables, haha. just when i thought i had it figured out someone introduces a new tool that i need, hehe. Unfortunately i live near washington DC and no one i know has a psp, let alone one w/ a custom fw.

Remember, you can only use a PSP Phat (non-slim PSP) to create the battery/magic memory stick. And it does take time...it took me 8 hours to change firmware from 3.72 official to 3.90 custom.

Remember, you can only use a PSP Phat (non-slim PSP) to create the battery/magic memory stick. And it does take time...it took me 8 hours to change firmware from 3.72 official to 3.90 custom.

Takes time? The entire process, including making the memory stick, battery, downgrading, and upgrading takes no more than 15 minutes.

Trying to figure out how to do it properly without killing my new PSP slim took the other 7.5 hours :D:D:D

Actually took me longer because the 1st battery I tried to change to Pandora wouldn't work. Also, I had to change flash programs to Dark Alex's to make it flash the custom bios

I had a PSP, but was disappointed with the very high number of ports along with the $39.99 price tag many games carry... I just don't feel any portable game is worth $40.

Wasn't a fan of the low battery life either.

IMO, the DS brought something new to the table, but with most of the PSP games except a scant few (and I had over 30 games before I sold it) I felt as if I'd already played many of these games before.

I had a PSP, but was disappointed with the very high number of ports along with the $39.99 price tag many games carry... I just don't feel any portable game is worth $40.

Wasn't a fan of the low battery life either.

IMO, the DS brought something new to the table, but with most of the PSP games except a scant few (and I had over 30 games before I sold it) I felt as if I'd already played many of these games before.

Lies I call it. If you don't feel any portable game is worth 40 bucks then how the hell did you have over 30 games? Also Brand name DS games are 35 bucks which is damn close to 40.

I don't even think there is 30 games worth playing on PSP so maybe you should be more selective with your game buying and not buy crap (not that you ever owned a PSP).

You lie and your post smells like the lies.

Lies I call it. If you don't feel any portable game is worth 40 bucks then how the hell did you have over 30 games? Also Brand name DS games are 35 bucks which is damn close to 40.

I don't even think there is 30 games worth playing on PSP so maybe you should be more selective with your game buying and not buy crap (not that you ever owned a PSP).

You lie and your post smells like the lies.

Clearances, sales, coupons, used copies, b2g1 free at EB / GS, amazon, Ebay... cmon, you can't possibly be that stupid. You think all games stay at $40 forever? And only Nintendo games are $35, most regular DS games are $30 or under, except for SE's $39.99 DS games and surprise, I don't buy those either unless it's a good deal.

It was just too long a wait most of the time for the really good ones to go down from $40. I found myself saying a lot "Gee, if this game was $30 at release, I'd probably snag it". As it stood, my PSP collected dust because I didn't feel the majority of ports were worth $39.99 (and I had to wait for them to drop in price to what I felt was an acceptable level), the same cost that I buy all my new release PC games at. Just because *you* don't think there are 30 games worth playing, doesn't mean there are, also. Hell, I can probably name 10 Capcom games alone that are worth playing on the system, granted you've never played them before because most of them are ports.

I never owned a PSP? I wonder where those PSP games I just sold on Ebay came from, espicially the used ones. I guess I just enjoy buying copies of common games to stare at because I never owned the system.

PSP fanboy's are still as defensive as ever, it seems.

I also forgot to mention another big factor in me dumping was it seemed every big game I was interested in was getting ported to PS2 with better controls... Twisted Metal, Silent Hill, Syphon Filter, hell I have even heard God of War is being rumored to get ported to PS2.

I don't really feel portable games are worth $40 either. Nor do I feel most console titles are worth $60. I buy a few AAA titles here and there, but for the most part I rent.

still smells a little fishy I love the psp and you owned 3x more games than me. I also love the ds and have had it since it came out and I only own 16.

Alright, keep this on topic please. No discussion of PSP game pricing et al. if you can't keep it civil.

PSP Slim: $170
8gb MSPD: $100

$270, Gets you an decent 8gb movie/music player that can also play close to PS2 graphics level games and has a somewhat limited but still capable internet browser.

Depending how important games are to you, you might just want to save up and get something like an iPod Touch.

I just bought Datel tool battery from CodeJunkies, & planing to install PVNC among other things once it gets here (should be wensday). I'll update once I get it done. But so far I'm happy with it.

no great games
No great games is a big time myth. IMO, PSP has the most quality games out of any platform released since late 2004. There are many great games which are non-ports. I own over 50+ PSP games and love all, with many more I would want.

RPGs
Brave Story: New Traveler *
Breath of Fire III (Euro Import)
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Final Fantasy (If you like the original one and don’t already own it, best version)
Final Fantasy II (If you liked II before and don’t already own it, best version)
Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of Lions
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure *
Jeanne D’ Arc *
Monster Hunter Freedom * (for U.S.)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 *
Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner * (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
PoPoLoCrois * (for U.S.) (I personally love it, but not for everyone)
Princess Crown (Asia Import)
Riviera: The Promised Land
Tales of Eternia (Euro Import)
Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology * (The dungeon exploring may turn some off, but combat is fun)
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse

Fighters
Darkstalkers Chronicle
Guilty Gear Judgment * (Judgment is)
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Heroes * (If you are into Naruto)
Powerstone Collection
Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
Tekken: Dark Resurrection * (Several PSP exclusive features)

Puzzle
Bomberman
Crush *
Every Extend Extra (short, but fun)
Exit
Gunpey (This game is tough, but interesting concept IMO)
Lumines
Lumines II *
Me and My Katamari * (controls are weird at first, but still good IMO)
Mercury Meltdown
PQ Practical Intelligence Quotient * (It can be tough, but cool concept)
PQ2: Practical Intelligence Quotient 2 *
Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords

Racers/Driving
ATV Offroad Fury Pro
Burnout Dominator
Burnout: Legends
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (Those who like the first Crazy Taxi may love this, but worth $20 or less)
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Pursuit Force *
Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice *
Race Driver 2006
Ridge Racer (or import 2)
Sega Rally Revo
Wipeout Pulse *
Wipeout Pure *

Action
Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles *
Dead Head Fred *
GTA: Liberty Stories
GTA: Vice City Stories
Killzone: Liberation *
Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X * (in remake form, yes)
Mega Man Powered Up * (in remake form, yes)
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops *
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Plus *
Medal of Honor Heroes * (some like it)
Prince of Persia Rival Swords
Socom: Fire Team Bravo *
Socom: Fire Team Bravo 2 *
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP one has online)
Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow *
The Warriors
Twisted Metal Head On
Ultimate Ghosts ‘n Goblins *

Survival Horror
Silent Hill: Origins

Flight Shooter
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception *
After Burner: Black Falcon *

Platformer
Daxter *
Death Jr 2: Root of Evil * (not for everyone, but definitely better than the previous one)
LocoRoco *
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Tokobot (not for everyone, but fun IMO)

Sports
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee *
MLB 07: The Show
Virtua Tennis World Tour
Virtua Tennis 3
Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

Music
DJ Max Portable * (import)
DJ Max Portable 2 * (import)
Gitaroo Man Lives!
PaRappa The Rapper (The game may be too old school for some, but if you liked the series in the past, you may like this)

Strategy
Field Commander *
Lemmings *
Metal Gear Acid *
Metal Gear Acid 2 *
Sid Meier’s Pirates!

Classical Compilation
Activision Hits Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded
Capcom Puzzle World (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo makes it worth it)
Gradius Collection *
Metal Slug Anthology (load times are terrible, and some slowdown, but the collection is excellent)
Namco Museum Battle Collection (IMO, best Namco collection)
Parodius Portable * (import)
Salamander Portable * (import)
Sega Genesis Collection
Taito Legends Power UP
Twinbee Collection * (import)

Download (I still need to play more):
Beats *
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (If you choose to not by Castlevania Chronicles) (PS1)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
Crash Badicoot 3: Warped (PS1)
Go! Puzzle
Hot Shots Golf 2 (although getting HSG4 is the better option) (PS1)
Syphon Filter: Combat Ops *
Wild Arms (PS1)

In the future:
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core *
Final Fantasy Dissidia *
God of War: Chains of Olympus *
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2 *
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep *
MLB 08: The Show
Patapon *
Secret Agent Clank *
Star Ocean: First Departure * (complete remake is)
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
Wild Arms XF *
Yggdra Union

*Only on PSP

Thanks acascianelli,

I have the necessary program to format the memory stick under windows (via Pandoras GUI v1.5). I'm following the steps from a video, other then Im using the tool. http://youtube.com/watch?v=tpYBzq8GxLI

Hmm...

Learn something everyday I guess. Even though it is illegal to distribute those flash files included with that download, I guess it is possible to get homebrew up and running without another PSP.

Just modded my psp slim. Super easy and quick using the upms .cso file. My old psp gave out...(Don't drop them!!) I love my psp. Best money I've spent in a while.

It all depends on many factors to decided if buying it on ebay is worth it. I got mine off of ebay becuase I have a full time job and a wife so I don't have much free time and creating the battery would have just taken too much of my time. Also 50 bucks isn't much to me I spend that much on dinner all the time. So it was very much worth it for me.

But if you have free time, no money, and are intuitive then buying it might not be for you. My brother just made a battery and magic card and said it took him about 5 hours total which includes information gathering and buying the stuff needed and 5 hours of my time is worth much more than the cost of buying it online so again for me it was money very well spent.

acascianelli is under the notion that buying it on ebay has a direct correlation with retardation so be careful if you buy it online you might catch retardation or the HIV. But he is correct the best way to do it is to find someone who has one and get in contact with them.

Better ways are coming out all the time. I used UPMS installer and made the battery and ms in like 5 minutes. Five minutes to mod my friends psp, he corrupted the firmware. Five minutes to do my new slim. All I did was hit x and follow the prompts.

I just ordered a PSP slim. I am in Afghanistan and I accidentally broke the screen on my old PSP.

Does the battery of the old PSP work on the slim?

What else can I do with my old PSP?

The old batteries work, but you need a new battery cover. You could try repairing the old PSP, replacing the screen isn't too hard.

Thanks...45$ for the screen on amazon, not bad. Could give it away to some friends.

I loved my psp(s) I had two of them. I had one that i downgraded and put ROM/Emulators on and one that i kept updated to the latest firmware. I wouldn't even use the one that i kept the firmware updated.

What i am saying it, it's worth getting if you are going to downgrade the firmware then put ROMs and Emulators on it. You can even put an OS on it, something along the lines of Linux.

mitch, you no longer need to downgrade firmware to run emulators. Just grab Dark Alex's firmware.

I'm gonna get mine modded soon, just so I can play my games without the damn UMD laser moving back and forth all the time.

It has been a very long time for me, i sold those psp's a long time ago. I haven't updated myself in a long time. I'm glad it's way easier nowa days! lol

Does anyone else in here have a hard time sending video to the PSP? I use PSPvideo9 and it locks up every time I send a converted file to it using either the video9 interface or the windows gui. Does anyone know of a simple way to convert video (and DVDs) to the PSP? All of the wizzard based apps I have tried fail.

Back