Sony: PS4s Are Going To Be Hard To Find for a While

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Unless you live in Japan, where the PS4 was just released on Friday, your chances of snagging one of the hot off the press consoles will be slim to none in the near future. Sources say the PS4 will be in short supply and high demand until sometime in April.

Why do I have the feeling that this "short supply" is intentional?

I know, right. That makes so much sense. Sony clearly wants to stop competing and selling more than Microsoft on a console with not many games out. That would do so much for it.

Hopefully it's because they are in the process of making a revision? I haven't been following too closely, but heard/read enough reports about launch issues that I'm waiting for a new hardware revision before going out and buying a ps4 myself.

I really think there is truth in that

The only thing you have going for that idea is conspiracy-theoryitis. If you look at the numbers of units they're moving it would be hard for them to manufacturer them any faster than they are. Not only that the risk of over-manufacturing is really big, just ask Blackberry how that $1 billion BB10 inventory write-down felt.

I think Sony and Microsoft both bought in to the idea that people wouldn't be interested in new consoles because of tablets and phones. Trust me, if they could put a unit into every single prospective customer's hands immediately they would.

Me, I'm playing a longer-term game. I'll wait for those golden releases to stack up before I buy one of these consoles.

Only places where such things are hard to find is if you're not looking very hard, ie online stores or the common store to buy it in such as gamestop... Both really that's not unique to ps4 it's the same with everything. If you're not trying to look you're not going to find in demand items.

If you don't have one by now, you're probably waiting for a price drop.

I'm going to pull an answer out my ass. It probably has something to do with AMD. AMD always has problems delivering in quantity.

I'm going to pull an answer out my ass. It probably has something to do with AMD. AMD always has problems delivering in quantity.

Seems reasonable enough, but I had no idea PS4s were flying off the shelves either. Then again I don't go into the "video game" section of the few B&M stores that I do visit so what do I know, right?

Given that they are going to launch in Sony's Home Market, it makes sense that demand is going to jump which will makes serving everyone and the pent up demand in Japan will be harder.

Given the amount they are able to make a month and the current numbers sold to customers it's about right. They have sold close to 6 million units by now in 3 months. There is nothing intentional about it, they just can't meet demand.

The Japan launch from the sound of it was alright, I'm expecting 300k or so it's first week which will likely go down from their. Apparently they have a ton of units over there, most everyone knew they would be having trouble for a few months after the Japan launch.

My big question is were the fuck are all the PlayStation cameras at?

The perception of low stock in peoples minds always make demand higher trick them out its isn't like that's never been done before.

Its also possible that Sony doesn't have the manufacturing capacity of Microsoft.

I could give a shit less this is why I preorder stuff got mine launch day but didn't buy that stupid camera and can't find one now they should have included it I hate when you dont get everything with a system. Would have rather just paid 470 for the system.

But order now, supply is limited.
Limited!? . . . Do you have any of those microphones left?
Yeah, a couple.

radiobart2_thumb.png

Unless you live in Japan, where the PS4 was just released on Friday, your chances of snagging one of the hot off the press consoles will be slim to none in the near future. Sources say the PS4 will be in short supply and high demand until sometime in April.

Jack Tretton in the house ? I can't find the funny quote by him where he would offer money if you could still buy PS3 at launch time :)

By the way if you google "Jack Tretton ps4 shortage" there some nice articles popping up :)

You are fooling yourself. This is the absolute most important time for a console. The foundry is cranking these things out.

Whenever someone says it's in short supply, it ends up being the opposite. Why? Because if the company says they're nearly sold out, then in consumers heads you think it's that good. Company sits back and watches as their sales go up.

The PS4 maybe better then Xbox One, but that's not saying much. Which boring game selection are you waiting for?

Hmm. Time to ebay the PS4 and buy another one when more games come out / prices drop? But I just ordered Tomb Raider, dammit.

The lack of games is disturbing though.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I bought both systems at launch and the XBOX One's after Christmas were stacking up on the shelves, I've only seen one store so far with PS4's in stock while I was shopping there. It was a Walmart on Christmas Eve, been sold out every trip since.

I live in the Philadelphia area, obviously not rural in the slightest.

You are fooling yourself. This is the absolute most important time for a console. The foundry is cranking these things out.

While it is the most important time for a console that doesn't mean a company can not or will not create an artificial supply shortage to increase demand. While the launch of the PS4 in Japan will stretch out their manufacturing the fact is PS4s are not flying off shelves right now. You can go to nearly any B&M store and pick one up without waiting.

Those consoles are not going to sell any faster just because of a launch in Japan.

What is more important for consoles in it's early months are two major things. 1. Generating the want for the console so consumers will buy it. 2. Develop a large enough game selection so people want to buy the console to play the games.

Right now, Sony should be focusing on getting some exclusive must have titles known as "system sellers" on the lineup. That is what will create a supply problem.

While it is the most important time for a console that doesn't mean a company can not or will not create an artificial supply shortage to increase demand. While the launch of the PS4 in Japan will stretch out their manufacturing the fact is PS4s are not flying off shelves right now. You can go to nearly any B&M store and pick one up without waiting.

Those consoles are not going to sell any faster just because of a launch in Japan.

What is more important for consoles in it's early months are two major things. 1. Generating the want for the console so consumers will buy it. 2. Develop a large enough game selection so people want to buy the console to play the games.

Right now, Sony should be focusing on getting some exclusive must have titles known as "system sellers" on the lineup. That is what will create a supply problem.

Are you talking about B&M in Japan or anywhere? In Japan right now they still have units on the shelves, no one knows how many units Sony sent to the region but if they only sent 300k or so it'll have some poor numbers over there.

I'm not expecting much tbh in Japan, the country has seen a decline in YoY sales for all platforms for awhile now save the Vita last year (which is ridiculous).

If you mean B&M anywhere else though then I don't know what to say. If you have a general idea on how many consoles they are shipping a month you'd know they are not sitting on an extra 4 million consoles in some wear house somewhere.

My big question is were the fuck are all the PlayStation cameras at?

The perception of low stock in peoples minds always make demand higher trick them out its isn't like that's never been done before.

Its also possible that Sony doesn't have the manufacturing capacity of Microsoft.

I could give a shit less this is why I preorder stuff got mine launch day but didn't buy that stupid camera and can't find one now they should have included it I hate when you dont get everything with a system. Would have rather just paid 470 for the system.

If they launched with the camera they would be in the same boat as Microsoft is to an extent. They never cared about the camera and from my understanding a lot of the cameras went to Japan for package deals.

There is no reason to have the camera other than to have your video shown during streaming atm

If they launched with the camera they would be in the same boat as Microsoft is to an extent. They never cared about the camera and from my understanding a lot of the cameras went to Japan for package deals.

There is no reason to have the camera other than to have your video shown during streaming atm
Plus the playstation caemera isn't even close to the same level in terms of quality of sensory array that microsoft's kinect has. Hell that camera is just the old PS2 eye higher resolution with a mic times 2. Honestly it's nothing more than an after thought, the kinect is more like a pushed idea that they thought would be great but unlike nintendo they can't even themselves make it work great in games. Can complain about unconventional controls all you want with nintendo but at least with 1st party games they get some great control scheme's worked out unless you have parkinson's and lack full body control.

Playstations aren't in short supply, games that make want a Playstation are.
Same with the Xbone.
No compelling reason to purchase yet.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I bought both systems at launch and the XBOX One's after Christmas were stacking up on the shelves, I've only seen one store so far with PS4's in stock while I was shopping there. It was a Walmart on Christmas Eve, been sold out every trip since.

I live in the Philadelphia area, obviously not rural in the slightest.

In the Philly suburbs,plenty of them available here.

But order now, supply is limited.
Limited!? . . . Do you have any of those microphones left?
Yeah, a couple.

radiobart2_thumb.png

When The Simpsons was great. Thank you for this :D

And I agree, mostly because:

A) this is a well-known marketing tactic to urge consumer demand
B) Sony has already pulled this story for PS2 and PS3

Playstations aren't in short supply, games that make want a Playstation are.
Same with the Xbone.
No compelling reason to purchase yet.

I have to disagree with that. Ryse and dead rising were good games, the people that are into forza got that. Titanfall plants vs zombies are also out really soon.

That might be a good idea IF they want to inflate the price, but that doesn't make as much sense since game sales for them AND 3rd parties would be affected by a lower availability.

Also, no matter what you tin-foil hats want to believe, demand does out-pace supply. I've worked retail long enough to see weather-related issues have people take a mad rush on stores in the area. People still cry foul on ordering, even though you can't put out enough nor have enough available supply to meet demand. Same with Sony. There's no way they want to leave a sale go. I suspect that part of the US problem is them taking care of home base first before the international market, not to mention, the PS4 isn't the only electronics device they manufacture.

They are in stock, and have been for a month or two now, at Amazon. I think I saw a couple in stock at Wal-Mart too, but I'm not sure.

They are in stock, and have been for a month or two now, at Amazon. I think I saw a couple in stock at Wal-Mart too, but I'm not sure.

They still get sold out. They have never been in stock consistently for over a week.

Yeah I just checked and they aren't in stock. But thet are in stock more often then not it seems like.

We were out shopping most of the day. The GF was looking for some sort of hard to find laundry detergent and I wanted to check out gaming headphones at Best Buy so we ended up at several Walmarts and a few Best Buys. Also, one Target. All of those places were sold out of the PS4. I did see lots and lots of Xbox Ones.

I doubt it's a tactic. I've not been seeing any PS4's for weeks, especially this Saturday and my GF drags me everywhere.

If Lou Reed wasn't already dead he would have died hearing this version of Perfect Day.

Snooze until games..

Gosh...people who want to buy it might have to wait a *whole month*...! What a tragedy! [not.]

I nominate this article for the "Mountain out of a molehill award" so far in 2014. I'm certain, though, that this won't be the only minor "news item" that gets exaggerated all out of perspective in 2014, though.

Yeah hopefully they come back with some games.......the PS4 Library is a total wasteland & the worst console launch in history for both MS and Sony IMO.

Strider just came out, Final Fantasy a Realm Reborn just came out, Thief launching in a few days. From what I am reading, Indies and PC devs are scrambling to get their games on the PS4. The biggest reason is they don't have to optimize their titles for the PS4 .. the Xbox One, they do due to it being so under powered. There is also a lot more red tape from Microsoft in getting titles on the Xbox One. There are a lot of reasons, good reasons why the PS4 is sold out / or hard to find.

I have to disagree with that. Ryse and dead rising were good games, the people that are into forza got that. Titanfall plants vs zombies are also out really soon.

Ryse got a 60 out of 100, and users gave it an even lower score.
Dead Rising 3 was just as bad according to user reviews.
Forza has the worse discrepancy amount these listed games. Critic reviews was an 80, but user reviews was a 5.4?

None of these games are worth piss. Titanfall is up in the air, and seriously Plants vs Zombies? Really, a mobile game? Have we gone that low to justify the purchase of one of these systems?

Back