Sony Prices XBR-A1E OLED TV Higher Than LG, Starting at $5,000

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Time will tell whether this is just brand taxing at work or the display’s unique features truly justify the premium, but prices for Sony’s OLED efforts are out and they ain’t cheap. While LG’s lowest 2017 model can be had for $3500, Sony’s starts off at $5000 due to special video processing, speakers built into the screen, and a stand-less form factor. Regardless, I am glad to see more than one company releasing OLED TVs now.

The storied Japanese TV maker will start shipping its first large-screen, mass-market OLED-based TVs this April in the US, and they're available for pre-order now. The A1E series will come in a 55-inch size for $5000 and a 65-inch size for $6500. There will also be a 77-incher, but pricing and availability were not announced. Sony will announce pricing for the A1E series in other countries, including Canada, next month. Those US prices are quite a bit less than what LG, the principal OLED TV proprietor, is charging for most of its 2017 OLED TVs. LG Display manufactures essentially all of the world's OLED TV panels, including those used by Sony. Panasonic and Philips also sell OLED TVs in Europe.

Video processing that has yet to be seen, probably gimmick, 3,500 or 5,000 for a TV, who gives a shit about built in speakers, if you are spending that much on a TV and using built in speakers, you are doing it wrong. Standless? No, it has a stand, a bad one, because the TV has to lean backward to be supported, and to give the "standless" look, the panel sits on whatever supports it, meaning higher chances of reflections and/or blocking of the lower part of the screen depending on angle. If you want a clean look, mount it on the wall etc. Try again Sony.

Isn't Sony using LG's OLED panels?

Sounds like unless you are space constrained spend the extra money on a decent receiver and speakers

Isn't Sony using LG's OLED panels?

Sounds like unless you are space constrained spend the extra money on a decent receiver and speakers

Reminds me of the guy with a nice car who lives in a crappy eight hundred square foot apartment.

But Sony... so much for competition.

Sony's Android TVs can take a 120hz input at 1080p. Will this end up being the first true 120hz OLED TV? That might be interesting. They also support strobbing for blur reduction... but that might be more difficult to implement here. Will be curious to see if any of these features make it.

That kickstand is stupid. The price is a bit much too. At times, I love some of the things Sony does. Other times, I'm hating what they are doing. There really doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground for them.

Sony's Android TVs can take a 120hz input at 1080p. Will this end up being the first true 120hz OLED TV?

Some of their TV's could, AFAIK the 2016 sets did not. Possibly because they sourced 60Hz native panels but also possible they used potato's for scalar chips/firmware. I think 1080p 120Hz was more of a happy accident like the grandpa Seiki 4K rather than a feature choice/design feature.

I like more brands going OLED, but that price, ugh. I was considering a 4K upgrade this year, but at closer to the $1500 mark for a 65" (liking the Samsung KS8000 at the moment). Maybe I need to limp my "old" 1080p set along until OLED becomes affordable... but that could take years, boooo.

I like more brands going OLED, but that price, ugh. I was considering a 4K upgrade this year, but at closer to the $1500 mark for a 65" (liking the Samsung KS8000 at the moment). Maybe I need to limp my "old" 1080p set along until OLED becomes affordable... but that could take years, boooo.

I bought a 55" Samsung KS8800. Not sure what it is about that tv, but it makes me feel sick. Like the days of high refresh rates. The refresh rates are suppose to be fast, but maybe it's the random blur, ghosting, or something. I don't know. I never had this problem with my Samsung whatever it was 47" 1080p LCD.

Some of their TV's could, AFAIK the 2016 sets did not. Possibly because they sourced 60Hz native panels but also possible they used potato's for scalar chips/firmware. I think 1080p 120Hz was more of a happy accident like the grandpa Seiki 4K rather than a feature choice/design feature.
Right it's only the 4K tvs that can do it (2015, 2016). And so far the "feature" has been retained with the update from Android 5 to 6. I don't believe it's mentioned anywhere officially by Sony and you do need to add a custom resolution. Just like with the old Seiki 4K.

Video processing that has yet to be seen, probably gimmick, 3,500 or 5,000 for a TV, who gives a shit about built in speakers, if you are spending that much on a TV and using built in speakers, you are doing it wrong. Standless? No, it has a stand, a bad one, because the TV has to lean backward to be supported, and to give the "standless" look, the panel sits on whatever supports it, meaning higher chances of reflections and/or blocking of the lower part of the screen depending on angle. If you want a clean look, mount it on the wall etc. Try again Sony.

From early reports of first impressions from professional review sites, the video processing is a great addition and has been something Sony has a stellar track record with when it comes to their other displays (projectors especially).

But yes, the price is a bit less competitive than hoped. Still interested, yes, but not as feasible for 99% of people who just want the benefits of OLED and can't quite afford to buy into at LG's former MSRPs (now slashed in half on their 2016 models, which is increasing adoption ten fold).

Back