Sony Press Release: N.A. availability/pricing for PSP revealed..

$250 for the system, a mem card, the carrying bag, and what an adaptor? Heck yea id say its worth it! Not to forget to mention the quality of the games that will be coming out at launch or close to launch.

You also get a Demo Disc and Spider-Man 2 the Movie on UMD. Im sold! :D

I'm very disappointed they couldn't keep this under $200 but I will still get one. I don't know how much the memory sticks run for separately but i have no use for a demo disc and hated spiderman 2. Probably won't have much use for an AC adaptor. I'll use the carrying case but I could have come up with one around the house anyway. So basically it looks like i'm paying $50 extra (extra meaning over the assumed $199 launch price) for a memory stick.

greenhorn1 said:
I'm very disappointed they couldn't keep this under $200 but I will still get one. I don't know how much the memory sticks run for separately but i have no use for a demo disc and hated spiderman 2. Probably won't have much use for an AC adaptor. I'll use the carrying case but I could have come up with one around the house anyway. So basically it looks like i'm paying $50 extra (extra meaning over the assumed $199 launch price) for a memory stick.

They kept it under $200. It's been under $200 since its launch in Japan. What you're paying for is the value pack, which is similarly priced with the Japanese value pack. This isn't a big deal.

Go look up the contents of the value pack. There's far more in it than a simple Memory Stick, though I do wish I could upgrade to a Sandisk 1GB stick.

Terpfen said:
They kept it under $200. It's been under $200 since its launch in Japan. What you're paying for is the value pack, which is similarly priced with the Japanese value pack. This isn't a big deal.

Go look up the contents of the value pack. There's far more in it than a simple Memory Stick, though I do wish I could upgrade to a Sandisk 1GB stick.

Yea exactly. If you dont want all the goodies then dont pay for them...You can buy yourself a plain old PSP for $200 np (dont know why you wouldnt want a ac adaptor though...you to good for free power? rather pay $20 in batteries every week then hey thats your perogative i guess).

As for complaining about the movie? I hate when people complain about a good quality give away. Its not like they are giving away House of the Dead or some other auticious movie of the sorts. They are giving away a high quality block buster smash, FOR FREE! Hate it or like it that movie is worth $20-30 alone. And no they cant please everybody but then again they arnt charging you for the movie.

Me personaly though...i might have bought a PSP for $250 if it had the software to back it up. Since my orginal game boy and the good old game gear there really hasnt been much of anything in the hand held department worth getting excited about (oh...maybe those old school Tiger hand held games those things rocked back in the days). Since my orginal game boy from back in the 1990's game boy has done little in the ways of advancement. Its still more primitive than the Game Gear. It took them like 10 yrs just to add color and now they have "high quality sprites" with the game boy advance ANDDD they got pointless dual montiors, yet I guess thats worth $200 :D

To each their own to each their own.

Except that they aren't releasing anything EXCEPT the value pack over here, so no I can't just go buy one for under $200.

And i'm not complaining about them including spiderman 2 in the pack, just saying that if there were a choice between buying just the system for $199 or the "value" pack for $249 i'd definitely go with the $199 package.

And the AC adaptor might be useful but honestly the only places i'll be playing are at work where I will try to make it a bit covert and not want wires attached to me, or places without power outlets.

They probably will release a non value pack version later on, this is probably just to get a good initial sales out. Plus on launch most people go out and buy allt he accessories anyway... if not most retailers force a bundle on you...

greenhorn1 said:
Except that they aren't releasing anything EXCEPT the value pack over here, so no I can't just go buy one for under $200.

And i'm not complaining about them including spiderman 2 in the pack, just saying that if there were a choice between buying just the system for $199 or the "value" pack for $249 i'd definitely go with the $199 package.

And the AC adaptor might be useful but honestly the only places i'll be playing are at work where I will try to make it a bit covert and not want wires attached to me, or places without power outlets.

LOL at the covert mission you got going on over their. I briefly thought of that as a reason but was like nah that couldnt be it LOL.

As for them not releasing just a plain old PSP by itself thats quite intresting. You'd think that they would :confused:
Oh well that sucks for people who dont want to buy all the "extra stuff". I mean I can completely understand how somebody couldnt give to...somethings about a carrying bag (sounds so girlish) a free movie/demo disc and whatever else they plan on adding. I guess the only thing from the value pack thats a neccesity is the memory stick, but even then maybe you wanted to spend that $15 on buying a 256MB stick instead of some small ass useless 32MB stick.

I can completely agree with you from this point of view

$250 is to much, they will not compete or even come close to Nintendo DS sales, At the same price the DS still outsold the PSP except for 1 week.

Its not going to happen and its not worth it,

Nintendo DS>PSP

Nintendo has better games, better fan base, famouse charatcers which cant be matched. The Nitendo system is better

Who can beat Zelda= Nobody

unearth01 said:
$250 is to much, they will not compete or even come close to Nintendo DS sales, At the same price the DS still outsold the PSP except for 1 week.

Nintendo DS>PSP

Nintendo has better games, better fan base, famouse charatcers which cant be matched. The Nitendo system is better

Don't forget about the touch screen. :)
I really hope both systems do well so that Nintendo will have some competition in the handheld market because we all know that competition is good.

Can anybody tell me about the flash memory sticks that the PSP uses? Are they commercially available now for other devices (like SD, Compact Flash, etc.)? If I buy a PSP one thing I would use if frequently for is watching movies I've ripped from DVD and 32 megs isn't big enough. Can I got out and buy a 1gb or larger memory stick that will work in the PSP for a reasonable price?

-Ace-

AceTKK said:
Can anybody tell me about the flash memory sticks that the PSP uses? Are they commercially available now for other devices (like SD, Compact Flash, etc.)? If I buy a PSP one thing I would use if frequently for is watching movies I've ripped from DVD and 32 megs isn't big enough. Can I got out and buy a 1gb or larger memory stick that will work in the PSP for a reasonable price?

-Ace-

It's simply the Sony Memory Stick Duo. Other companies make compatible versions.

AceTKK said:
Can anybody tell me about the flash memory sticks that the PSP uses? Are they commercially available now for other devices (like SD, Compact Flash, etc.)?

PSP uses the Memory Stick Pro Duo. Companies like Sandisk offer cheap Memory Sticks (they charge about half compared to Sony's prices), and the current maximum is 2GB.

My personal plan is to use the included 32MB stick as a memory card, and to get a Sandisk 1GB stick for mp3 playing.

make it $2.00 USD and able to fit on my keychain, and I am sold. Until then, I am sticking with my keychain Tetris and keychain Etch-a-Sketch (personal side note....the Etch-a-sketch Zooper is an abomination to humanity)

By the end of the day, you are spending between $310 and $320 (including tax) to get the console, a case and AC adapter, some crappy trial disks, and one single game. Not to mention, if you really want to put any large files on a Duo card you will want at least 256MB, which is another $50.

I think portable gaming is pretty idiotic, I cannot imagine times other than interstate travel that I would want one of these. And for those times, my iPod suffices.

Erfus said:
By the end of the day, you are spending between $310 and $320 (including tax) to get the console, a case and AC adapter, some crappy trial disks, and one single game. Not to mention, if you really want to put any large files on a Duo card you will want at least 256MB, which is another $50.

II think portable gaming is pretty idiotic, I cannot imagine times other than interstate travel that I would want one of these. And for those times, my iPod suffices.

Ditto. Well said.

$250 seems a bit high for the value pack. I was expecting it to be 225-235, but I am still going to get it anyway :D

for you guys thinking you won't use the AC adapter...i think that's how you recharge the battery, since it has a battery just like a GBA SP. and that ac adapter does come with the normal package as well as the value pack, the listing on the value pack lists off everything it comes with, some of that stuff also comes with the normal pack.

i already have my psp pre-ordred and more than half paid for, i'll be getting the normal pack and buying myself a san disk 1gb memory stick at launch, along with untold legends, and possibly ridge racer, depending on how much the games are, which i've heard is starting at $50, which pisses me off.

Um.. Nintendo DS = $100 less. $150 for a DS or $250 for a PSP. Personally, having witnessed nothing but trouble with all my friend's PS2s (blue discs don't work here, or no CD formats working, or controllers just randomly dieing - DualShock2s, here!), I'll stick with Nintendo - their shit keeps working. I've got an original NES that just won't die. :D

After playing both, there's no way I could buy a DS over a PSP, even with the $100 difference. Touch screens are for managing your to-do list, not gaming.

CreamySoupUSA said:
After playing both, there's no way I could buy a DS over a PSP, even with the $100 difference. Touch screens are for managing your to-do list, not gaming.
Have you tried the Mario DS mini games? Fun with the touch screen. Friends and family love the mini games.

CreamySoupUSA said:

Yup QFT

That touch screen thing really sucks. It looked stupid in pic's and its stupid when you actaully use it. Id go with a D-pad or analog stick or the "analog thumb pad" anyday of the week. However I do like the 2 D-pad's that was pretty good to bad they put more emphasis on the touch screen.

The launch lineup was also somewhat revealed. 24 titles will be available within the first month of availability. You can read the full list here, but some of the standout titles would be Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Acid, WipEout Pure, Twisted Metal: Head On, and Dynasty Warriors. The games will sell for $39.99, however some may be lower in price.

Erfus said:

I think portable gaming is pretty idiotic, I cannot imagine times other than interstate travel that I would want one of these. And for those times, my iPod suffices.

I can't imagine how anyone could question the pricing of the PSP and follow that up by supporting the iPod, but I digress...

unearth01 said:

Nintendo DS>PSP

All this coming from someone who has likely never even seen a PSP, let alone played one

:rolleyes:

You really have to see and use one, it's a really really nice unit, the pictures and video don't do it justice. I use it to play movies and obviously games, the price isn't too high when you consider that and the fact Sony will likely release a firmware upgrade to give it PDA capabilities (word processing, e-mail, browser). The screen is amazing.

dude at a games store here in amsterdam has a import japanese psp and i have to say, i am so sold on it. I mean, yes, DS is nice and all, but the psp, yeah baby.

The screen is gorgeous. Flat out. I was playing Ridge Racer on it and it moves at a fair speed...I actually can't wait for Burnout to make its way to it, then I will be set.

The only gotcha is the analouge controller, its a bit wierd and will take some getting used to.

but the screen...drooooool

It doesnt matter becouse you cant beat the games

Nineten will always have better games than anybody

You cant beat Zelda, Miyimoto is a genius

I dont like sony products becouse they have horrible warrenty, its just the worst of any el;ectronics manufatuerer

That's really up to preference though, you can't say Nintendo consoles have better games because that's your opinion (and not fact). Personally, while I enjoy Mario and Zelda games, I think they're somewhat overrated (I know, heathen, lol).

The PSP will have Viewtiful Joe, GTA, bunch of other good games, it has the backing of a lot of big companies and will get a lot of good games in time.
Only time will tell which is better though, because it all boils down to what games are released, but the PSP itself is a beaut. I'll probably buy a DS when it's out here though, best of both worlds :)

The games are supposed to retail for 39.99

I am also a bit disappointed at the $250 price point, I was hoping Sony was gonna charge $180-225 for the goodie version to make a big splash. I was considering getting an ipod later this year, but this might make a passable substitute (not to mention that whole games thing :p )

Its funny how the exact same thing comes up with every nintendo system, as people claim it has the best games when none of them are even released. Yes, metroid and zelda are coming...but they're not here yet. If you want to play the waiting game, PSP has Square RPGs and portable GTA, which stack up pretty damn well with metroid and zelda nowadays. Yes, prime and windwaker were awesome, but I spent way more time on any of the 3 gtas than either of them, and most people can say the same. Right now, PSP absolutely destroys DS in software. PSP will have more games in its first month than DS has in 6...go look at EB's coming soon list for DS, the 8 games on the list stretch into March. Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, Ridge Racers are all amazing...and if you haven't taken a look at Mercury or Untold Legends, you seriously need to. As for power...well, lets wait til both systems have Need for Speed: Underground, then we can do a fair comparison. You get what you pay for.

these nintendo !!!!!!s are seriously over hyping Zelda like its the Second Coming or something :rolleyes:

Halo, Halo 2, Any of the GTA's, the list goes on..

All these games have outsold Zelda time and time again you need to wake up little ones this isnt 1990 when Zelda was like the only rpg around and so it obviously rocked. No this is the 21st century Zelda isnt all that. Good game and all heck its a very good game but its no second coming.

Oh and about the DS only being outsold during week 1 of the PSP...theres this thing called supply and demand. Sony didnt have the supplies to meet the demand and thats not a short coming of Sony b/c I cant remember the last time a console was released and they had the supply to meet the demand.

I would have to diagree with the whole part about outselling zelda, maybe here in america but certainly not on a world wide basis

and if a company cant produce a system thats not an excuse for not selling bigger numbers

All I'm going to say about Zelda is that I wish Ocarina of Time would get remade with the upcoming Zelda's engine and graphics. I still can't play the N64 version due to the blurriness.

unearth01 said:
I would have to diagree with the whole part about outselling zelda, maybe here in america but certainly not on a world wide basis

and if a company cant produce a system thats not an excuse for not selling bigger numbers

As much as I want to rip your !!!!!! arguement to shreads im not going to even bother with it. Whatever dude if you really care what everybody else across the world likes (and Halo, GTA:VC, and MSG still outsold zelda go check a game list some time, the only zelda that outsold them was OoT) and not what matters in the states then thats your perogative

Every Final Fantasy (Maybe except chronicles and the GB/A Titles) title to date have outsold any zelda title to date, some FF games have even sold more then double that of a zelda title.

While Zelda is good, its not the best game created and nintendo needs to really stop relying on the same 3 games all the time...

Back