Sony PlayStation Meeting 2013 Live-Stream

Okay listen im a Diehard gamer, i bought a Japanese Playstation for $799 just so i could say i had it a year early, Im excited and i cant wait! I just decided im not buying 2 Nvidia Titans and putting money towards the new Consoles this year.
I'm not sold on what I saw.

That was it?

Honestly though, with the hardware argument taken off the table (both the Xbox next and the PS4 are watered down PCs) the only thing these guys will have to talk about now is game exclusives. :(

Wow, Sony just got two hours of my time and didn't even show the console....epic tease!

First product introduction I've watched where they didn't even show the product itself.

Ready by Black Friday 2013? I doubt it...

First product introduction I've watched where they didn't even show the product itself.

It's going to be a white or grey or black box with some rounded corners and a disk slot and some USB ports. :p

That was it?

Honestly though, with the hardware argument taken off the table (both the Xbox next and the PS4 are watered down PCs) the only thing these guys will have to talk about now is game exclusives. :(

Which I can do without.

If somewhere in EA studios they're working on a PC Madden, I will not give the new consoles a second look.

they all look like old ass pc games from 3 years ago and the skin techdemo is always the same

throw all the power at one fucking head and nothing else it is not that impressive and the fucking PC did the same techdemo years ago.

They always do the fucking head and face demo and no faces ever look that good because they have to put a bunch of other crap on the screen.

I doubt they've even come up with a price. Hard to do when the console itself isn't finished.

I'd guess Sony is holding back something big to introduce at the same time MS announces/shows the next Xbox. Showing everything now leaves little to generate big headlines in the next several months.

If Sony says 2013 is the schedule, that's something pretty solid.

Anyone else curious that since the new playstation will be non-proprietary hardware that emulators for PC (to play those exclusives) will be made in record time?

Oh and the nvida tech demo is based on the same fricking head shader mental ray has been using for years on maya and 3d studio max for mental ray and it don't even look as good as the mental ray render .

196225638_f4fa7f61d0.jpg

Lee-MR-02a.jpg

http://www.ir-ltd.net/mental-ray-skin-phenomena

Everyone can hate on everything about hte PS4 all you want but what I think you're really pissed about (just like me) is that PC developers are severely lacking in game development. That is who all the hate should be directed towards.

Overall, I'm left with more questions than answers...

Why was there no actually hardware presentation, ie: controllers, connectors, etc?

Why are they still showing tech demo's ½ a year old?

Why are half these tech demo's still just TECH DEMO's?

Why does this presentation remind of me the Oscars?

Why is Blizzard so intent on damaging its credibility further, just to please its shareholders?

Why no pricing?

Why no release date?

The questions go on and on and on... but what really disappoints me even further is I specifically remember Sony stating exactly that they were waiting for Microsoft to announce their console first before them, and then they jump the ship? For what? Secondly, if any of you fools think Microsoft is gonna impress anyone here with their presentation, well be prepared to have your fragile hopes crushed. And don't get me started on PC gaming, that ship sailed the minute everything went to consoles. What I'm left here is a disappointed look at the future of gaming. Something needs to happen soon because the mentality of this industry as a whole has become one that's eerily similar to the banking system of this country. All profit and greed, they don't care about making good games or pushing the boundaries of technology, if its good enough for them, they expect it's good enough for us....

Pretty unimpressed with the announcement. A lot of shared PS3/PS4 titles... and Blizzard coming on there to announce the vomit called Diablo 3...

Most of it looked like a bunch of interactive B movies/Uncharted. The only thing that looked mildly interesting was Destiny and that's going to be on the PS3 as well, so... ???

And arguably the most fundamental question nobody has bothered to address; why is everyone who presented bald????!!!!!

Why was there no actually hardware presentation, ie: controllers, connectors, etc?

Why is Blizzard so intent on damaging its credibility further, just to please its shareholders?

Why no pricing?

Why no release date?

The questions go on and on and on... but what really disappoints me even further is I specifically remember Sony stating exactly that they were waiting for Microsoft to announce their console first before them, and then they jump the ship? For what? Secondly, if any of you fools think Microsoft is gonna impress anyone here with their presentation, well be prepared to have your fragile hopes crushed. And don't get me started on PC gaming, that ship sailed the minute everything went to consoles. What I'm left here is a disappointed look at the future of gaming. Something needs to happen soon because the mentality of this industry as a whole has become one that's eerily similar to the banking system of this country. All profit and greed, they don't care about making good games or pushing the boundaries of technology, if its good enough for them, they expect it's good enough for us....

Yup, all good points and questions.

It's a glorified prick tease tonight to "put it out there" and that's about it.

It sounds like a decent system but I'm extremely doubtful of Sony's lofty network goals. Sony's PSN is a mess , its constantly going down , it was able to be hacked into submission because Sony didn't bother to tell their IT's to make sure that the server side software was always up to date. I find it really hard to believe that they will be able to provide a solid network for streaming and social media as they claim they will be.

The games announced where mostly ..meh. Diablo 3 was unexpected but D3 is a corpse of a game considering how much of a disappointment its been on the PC ( I tried like hell to enjoy it , but I just couldn't in the end).

Destiny looked good but Bungie snubbing PC gamers they way they did a few days ago makes me NOT want to bother with it. If Bungie thinks gamers prefer joysticks for first person shooters than they are all high and fucking wrong.

Since there was no price point announced I can't really comment on that. If its anywhere north of $350 though Sony is going to be in for a big disappointment in terms of sales. No one I know who exclusively games on consoles will be willing to dump $400+ into just the console its-self much less buying the usual stuff during launch day (couple of games , extra controllers and various other accessories).

The only smart thing Sony did was stick with a simple hardware structure this time versus some overly complicated custom setup that frustrates programmers and never lives up to its potential. The bullshit "enhanced" over PC structure crap made me laugh , we all know the PS4 can't even compete with a decently equipped gaming PC yet its presented as a superior solution.

However unless Sony can produce some better games to show off I'm going to pass on the PS4 as I pretty much thought I would.

If Naughty Dog had come out tonight showing some hot shit Uncharted 4 footage and promised it as a launch day title that would have turned some heads. That's the kind of thing that was missing here tonight.

Why no pricing?

Why no release date?

Announcing price is not to their advantage until very close to the launch or after their competitors announce their prices ... same thing with detailed specs ... they are in a battle with MS for market share so no need to give MS any more ammo than they need ... what they did is probably enough to interest their stock holders (and with their stock in the toilet they need something)

I am an avid PC gamer and haven't bought a console in more than a decade but we (the PC gamers) have become our own worst enemies in some ways ... we complain about companies wanting to make profits and money off of our hobby but WE generally don't like to work for food money (at least I don't ;) ) even though we expect our game programmers to do so ... WE complain about DRM but then we find ways to justify pirating and torrenting (even when we don't do it ourselves) ... WE complain when people buy games at launch or pay full price (common occurrences on consoles) ... WE complain if a game has good graphics but bad gameplay ... WE complain if it has good gameplay but bad graphics ... WE complain if it is too expensive, even when it has both good graphics and gameplay ... if the game takes too long to launch we are unhappy ... if it launches quickly but has bugs we are unhappy ... we can claim the developers have lost their love of gaming but then so have we in many ways

It will be interesting to see what MS has to offer ... I would imagine both systems will be close in terms of capabilities this round and launch much closer together ... pc gaming isn't going anywhere but we do need to find ways to give our favorite developers some love and not always be whining Wendys about all things gaming ;)

Oh well, I guess so far I am leaning to investing that money into my PC lol.

8GB of RAM and an AMD APU powering it.... My system will be 3 years old by the time it's out and it will still be more powerful than it.

In 2 or 3 years time 8GB of RAM is going to seem like a really small amount, and no doubt that will cause PC games to suffer as they get held back by developers concentrating on consoles.

I'd still buy a next gen console if I could use a keyboard and mouse with it though.

If they release at that price they are crazy ... they can lower the price but not increase it over time ... unless they think they are going to sell 30-40 million units the first quarter a price like that would suicidal ... both consoles will be launching with lots of games dedicated to their platforms only (which is expensive) ... if they are losing too much money on the console costs they might just go bankrupt (which is very bad for the stock price) ... if they wanted to be aggressive they could launch at 449, but the PS3 launched at 499 and its lack of success wasn't as much do to price as the fact they gave the marketplace to MS for a year before they launched ... if they launch concurrent with xBox this time the 499/599 price should be reasonable (especially at Christmas)

Now of course the other option is, if they really want to lose that much money on the console with a 429 price, to increase their licensing fees and drive game prices up by 5-10 per title ... if they truly do have features designed to kill secondary sales then they could make their profit off of the software instead of hardware ... but they need to be making profit somewhere or they will have problems ;)

Hooray for outdated PC tech in a console... I saw the old man demo and went hey, hasn't my PC been capable of that for years? Except devs are focusing on consoles and purposely handicapping games? Thafuck dude. :(

how long was that? 2hrs?

honestly, i doubt they could cram everything we wanted to see in 2hrs.
all the big players had to be on stage, and theyre just teasing us for more.

ppl are so hard to please these days, its rediculous. everyones a reviewer and psuedo-professional critique it makes me sick. just enjoy the ANNOUNCEMENT and go about your day. they have to save some for E3 and the many other shows and events scattered through the year before the holidays.

people just dont stop and think, they wanna jump on the negativity hate bandwagon.

The creepy guy just blew a load in his pants over the custom hardware of the ps4.

loved that they didn't muck up the dualshock for the sake of gimmick (ahem...wii u).

I tentatively agree..It depends on if that touchpad becomes mandatory or not. If I can completely ignore it in any mainstream game, then I like the new design. If I get forced to use it, then the PS4 joins the wii on the not buying it list.

So Ubisoft confirmed that the Watch Dog's demo was running a PC with "similar specs to the PS4"...

I wonder if any of the other demos were on PC.

I do have another XBOX 360 and PS 3 in my Movie room, 108 in Carada Screen with my Panny 1080P projector in 7.1 surround sound :)

That was it?

Yea, loving that PC I have with 8GB of GDDR5.. oh wait. :rolleyes:

For a console it was impressive and some of the cloud features and remote play looked great.

Maybe with 8 cores we'll start to see more games made in parallel. The only problem I have with console ports is the UI of those games. Some are just horrible for the PC.

am i reading this right?

I'm reading that ps3 gaming on the new system will be provided by gakai streaming service..... it cannot play ps3 games otherwise. Same with ps2/psx games....

so basically what sony is saying to their previous users is.... "buy your games again because we know most of u will do it."

Yea, loving that PC I have with 8GB of GDDR5.. oh wait. :rolleyes:

For a console it was impressive and some of the cloud features and remote play looked great.

Seriously.

How can it be a watered down PC when it's based on a custom 8 core PC CPU based on AMD's yet to be released Jaguar and with graphics comparable to a current generation GCN based Radeon specced between a 7850 and 7870 and with 8GB of memory to boot.

Back