Sony PlayStation Meeting 2013 Live-Stream

am i reading this right?

I'm reading that ps3 gaming on the new system will be provided by gakai streaming service..... it cannot play ps3 games otherwise. Same with ps2/psx games....

so basically what sony is saying to their previous users is.... "buy your games again because we know most of u will do it."

Or keep your PS3? :eek:

Honestly I'd rather Sony move forward and not worry about games from a system released ages ago.

am i reading this right?

I'm reading that ps3 gaming on the new system will be provided by gakai streaming service..... it cannot play ps3 games otherwise. Same with ps2/psx games....

so basically what sony is saying to their previous users is.... "buy your games again because we know most of u will do it."

Or you could keep your PS3/PS2/PS1 and hook it up when you want to play it again. My old systems are just collecting dust in the closet.

Well, after all that no look at the console it self. Just the new controller and a glimpse at the stereo camera aka Kinect copy?

Games look decent, but nothing mind blowing, pretty much what every one has been expecting considering the hardware, etc..

5 out of 10 in my opinion. Something new but meh...

Seeing the plastic shell that the hardware is going to be stuffed into at this point is so irrelevant. You know what it's going to be? A black box with a disk drive that sits near your TV... surprise.

Don't really care about PS4 but... very excited that PC ports will look better :)

LOL Bungie said they're going to turn the FPS world on its head by having a persistent world that will blow your mind with it's co-op play.

Doesn't every MMO shooter promise the same thing?

maybe I'll buy one of these rather than spend $300-400 on a single card for the PC... they went from 256MB of ram, which I thought was too low even back then, to 8GB now.. nice... no doubt this streaming service is meant to milk money from people a second time, but if you are smart you will just keep your old PS3 to play any games you want.

PS2/PS games I just use emulators.

i think they actually showed the controllers cause a picture of it was leaked.

I love that they added all the features I thought it really needed. They needed a better way to do headsets like the 360. I could never get the Bluetooth headsets to be 100% reliable. They also seem to be trying to implement cross game chat. Also I have always loved the pause feature of the PSP and the PS Vita glad they are implementing here. I dont care for the share feature but I like the "spectate" feature. The ability to "try" games practically instantly is pretty damn amazing. It will get me to buy A LOT more games on the PSN (Probably PS+ too) since I dont have to go out and I can try it relatively easily. I think more platforms need this. Overall a solid improvement, price is meh to me as long as it lives up to the promises $500 is nothing since the consoles last for so long.

Reposting what I posted in the games forum thread

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a.pdf

Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon™ based graphics engine
Memory GDDR5 8GB
Hard Disk Drive Built-in
Optical Drive
(read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV
I/O Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
AV output HDMI
Analog-AV out
Digital Output (optical)

The PS4 system architecture is distinguished by its high performance and ease of
development. PS4 is centered around a powerful custom chip that contains eight x86-64 cores and a state of the art graphics processor.
The Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) has been enhanced in a number of ways, principally to allow for easier use of the GPU for general purpose computing (GPGPU) such as physics simulation. The GPU contains a unified array of 18 compute units, which collectively generate 1.84 Teraflops of processing power that can freely be applied to graphics, simulation tasks, or some mixture of the two.
PS4 is equipped with 8 GB of unified system memory, easing game creation and increasing the richness of content achievable on the platform. GDDR5 is used for this memory, giving the system 176 GB/second of bandwidth and providing a further boost to graphics performance.

From the PDF I linked above:
搭載されている18個のコンピュートユニットは全体で1.84テラフロップスの演算能
力を有し、その性能をグラフィック機能やコンピューティング機能、またはその二つに自由に割り当てることが 可能です。

18 CUs free to be dedicated to graphics or compute efforts as developers like.

i'm just going wtf over the lightbar...sure its an alternative to the camera for move i guess but quit taking queues from the wii already sony argh you already failed with move just stop :(

as for hardware i'm just going ugggggggh over the underpowered amd apu used

P.S: 18 GCN CUs comes out to 1152 shaders, that's 90% of a 7870.

Another uninformed statement without any empirical evidence. It's an 8 core CPU based on next gen unreleased AMD tech and the GPU is based on current gen Radeon graphics very close to a 7870.

I know this is a PC forum, and console bashing is the norm. However, I actually think the specs for the PS4 are pretty impressive, and they are on the higher end of what was speculated and "leaked." Sure, it's still not going to compare to someone running an OC'd i5/7 paired with a top-end video card, but I'd be willing to bet it is better than the AVERAGE gamer's current PC.

The PS4 will likely release for around $500.

I challenge anyone to build a PC for $500 that will out perform the PS4 for the first year of its release.

Another uninformed statement without any empirical evidence. It's an 8 core CPU based on next gen unreleased AMD tech and the GPU is based on current gen Radeon graphics very close to a 7870.

i would love to be proved wrong of course :)

Didn't Sony say something about letting MS go first?

Because this announcement seems kind of pointless. Tell your opponent your specs, have your buyers stop buying PS3, but don't start selling PS4.

It seems it would have been smarter to wait until they were actually closer to launch.

i'm just going wtf over the lightbar...sure its an alternative to the camera for move i guess but quit taking queues from the wii already sony argh you already failed with move just stop :(

They failed with the Eye Toy on the PS2 as well, but that doesnt stop them.

Didn't Sony say something about letting MS go first?

Because this announcement seems kind of pointless. Tell your opponent your specs, have your buyers stop buying PS3, but don't start selling PS4.

It seems it would have been smarter to wait until they were actually closer to launch.

Yeah, someone from Sony did say they were waiting on MS to make the first move not long before they announced to PS4 conference.

I disagree about the timing though. They are shooting for a Q4 release this year, so there's only about an 8 month timetable before the console launches. That's just enough time to slowly trickle more info about the console and start to build hype up until release. They also likely wanted to show the PS4 at E3 this year but felt that the actual announcement should get it's own conference to ensure it get's 100% of the attention. I expect MS to do the same prior to E3.

just out of curiosity, did they mention if the hard drive was SSD based or not? Would be a nice addition imo.

just out of curiosity, did they mention if the hard drive was SSD based or not? Would be a nice addition imo.

only would be useful if they used a fast enough controller, i just hope they don't keep the maximum drive height 9.5mm and step away from fat32

As far as I can tell, the only thing said about the hard drive is that the console would have one. I would seriously doubt the one they include with the console is SSD based though. Prices have come WAY down on SSDs, but they still aren't low enough to put them in every PS4 out of the box. Maybe the hard drive will be user replaceable like the PS3's. If that's the case you could throw a SSD in your console if you wanted. People have put them in PS3s, and IIRC they do make a difference in terms of texture pop and whatnot. Nothing as massive as a PC going from mechanical to SSD, but apparently there is a difference.

Or keep your PS3? :eek:

Honestly I'd rather Sony move forward and not worry about games from a system released ages ago.

a game that is released.. oh.. this year isn't considered to be released ages ago. Also, this is the first system since they switched to optical media to not have any BC.

The only thing i'm hoping for are better ports but.... i have a bad feeling about that :/

Any word on the whole "no used games" rumors? I really have no intention of buying any more consoles, but I'm interested to see how that whole drama plays out.

the jaguar cpu by amd is being made for tablets/ultra low power laptops(the cheap ones). and yes this is a fact, look up amd's cpu forcast for 2013.
having to always be connected to the internet is fail. noticeable frame rate drops and pausing when stream to the vita on a game that looked horrible. not a lot of talk about what they are doing with cloud gaming and cloud gaming blows for so many reasons (just for older games and demos?). and whats with predownloading games it thinks u will like without u telling it to, facebook taking over ur console.

the jaguar cpu by amd is being made for tablets/ultra low power laptops(the cheap ones). and yes this is a fact, look up amd's cpu forcast for 2013.
having to always be connected to the internet is fail. noticeable frame rate drops and pausing when stream to the vita on a game that looked horrible. not a lot of talk about what they are doing with cloud gaming and cloud gaming blows for so many reasons (just for older games and demos?). and whats with predownloading games it thinks u will like without u telling it to, facebook taking over ur console.

it reminds me of onlive.....only its sony so they have some capitial

with the psn being slow at times i have my doubts even with the gaikai deal as servers can only run so much at a time

The game\software is probably still in development so the whole vita thing is most likely still in the works. Pretty sure their will be a setting to turn the feature off if you don't want it to automatically download games for you. I don't use facebook or any other social media but it would be nice to have a [H] ps4 gaming list to see what you guys are upto and play with you guys instead of having add people one at a time. I'm sure you can choose not to have any friends if that's what you like.

ForeverAloneBlackTextSS.png

only would be useful if they used a fast enough controller, i just hope they don't keep the maximum drive height 9.5mm and step away from fat32

The PS3 uses Exfat not fat32. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to have large files at all.

Well, just wanted to chime in and explain why there were too few claps.
The thing is that Killzone, we had already seen, same as "not Assassin's Creed" WatchDog, the Square Enix demo, we also knew of Destiny, so we knew of the "graphically impressive" games from E3 or earlier... capcom's CGI was, well, CGI.

The GPU is extremely doubtful to be anything over a 7700 in power, and even the 7700 power is less probable than 6700's level. Everything had to run on a "similarly specced PC" because those are the development kids that have been around and confirmed.

I stand corrected on the GPU, apparently they claim that it is all that powerful... we will wait and see, but i will remain an skeptic on it just due to the pricing of the console alone...

If this was speced near a GTX 680 or 7970, then I would be impressed, other than that it's old hardware in a new shell. :rolleyes:

[RIP]Zeus;1039634548 said:
If this was speced near a GTX 680 or 7970, then I would be impressed, other than that it's old hardware in a new shell. :rolleyes:

Yes and Sony was in a position to sell a 900 dollar console lol. They have thermal envelope they have to meet and cost restraints.

TFLops comparison puts the GPU just slightly above a 7850, which certainly is much better than the 7800GT in the PS3

TFLops comparison puts the GPU just slightly above a 7850, which certainly is much better than the 7800GT in the PS3

Being that it's in a console you can safely add 50-100% (sometimes even more) to its performance in the PC landscape.

People forget that PC benchmarks != console benchmarks. Consoles have the added benefit of developers giving a shit what's inside and coding very close to the metal. As a result of that approach, they can make shitty hardware look incredible. The 8GB of GDDR5 is better than you'll find on any high end GPU.

Update: I've confirmed that there are 8 Jaguar based AMD CPU cores inside the PS4's APU. The CPU + GPU are on a single die. Jaguar will still likely have better performance than the PS3/Xbox 360's PowerPC cores, and it should be faster than anything ARM based out today, but there's not huge headroom going forward. While I'm happier with Sony's (and MS') CPU selection this time around, I always hoped someone would take CPU performance in a console a bit more seriously. Given the choice between spending transistors on the CPU vs. GPU, I understand that the GPU wins every time in a console—I'm just always an advocate for wanting more of both. I realize I never wrote up a piece on AMD's Jaguar architecture, so I'll likely be doing that in the not too distant future.

The choice of 8 cores is somewhat unique. Jaguar's default compute unit is a quad-core machine with a large shared L2 cache, it's likely that AMD placed two of these together for the PlayStation 4. The last generation of consoles saw a march towards heavily threaded machines, so it's no surprise that AMD/Sony want to continue the trend here. Clock speed is unknown, but Jaguar was good for a mild increase over its predecessor Bobcat. Given the large monolithic die, AMD and Sony may not have wanted to push frequency as high as possible in order to keep yields up and power down. While I still expect CPU performance to move forward in this generation of consoles, I was reminded of the fact that the PowerPC cores in the previous generation ran at very high frequencies. The IPC gains afforded by Jaguar have to be significant in order to make up for what will likely be a lower clock speed.

We don't know specifics of the GPU, but with it approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870. Update: Sony has confirmed the actual performance of the PlayStation 4's GPU as 1.84 TFLOPS. Sony claims the GPU features 18 compute units, which if this is GCN based we'd be looking at 1152 SPs and 72 texture units. It's unclear how custom the GPU is however, so we'll have to wait for additional information to really know for sure. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example). I'm quite pleased with the promised level of GPU performance with the PS4. There are obvious power and cost constraints that would keep AMD/Sony from going even higher here, but this should be a good leap forward from current gen consoles.

Outfitting the PS4 with 8GB of RAM will be great for developers, and using high-speed GDDR5 will help ensure the GPU isn't bandwidth starved. Sony promised around 176GB/s of memory bandwidth for the PS4. The lack of solid state storage isn't surprising. Hard drives still offer a dramatic advantage in cost per GB vs. an SSD. Now if it's user replaceable with an SSD that would be a nice compromise.

The TDP of the CPU is likely quite minimal, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's under 30W for all 8 cores

Back