Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Intel Bring Premium 4k Movies to PCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) and Intel Corporation today announced that ULTRA, SPHE’s 4K movie streaming service, will debut on computers powered by 7th Gen Intel® Core™ processors beginning Q1 in 2017. Coinciding with the expanded availability of the service, ULTRA will add new features like 48 hour rentals and free 10 minute previews, allowing customers to experience a sample of any film on the service in full 4k resolution before buying.

With its new 7th Gen Intel Core processor, Intel is bringing 4K content to mainstream PC users. This latest processor sets a higher bar for richer experiences and incredible performance and responsiveness, with long battery life and true 4K entertainment. More than 100 stunning new devices powered by 7th Gen Intel Core will be available this holiday season, and some will be available as early as September. By leveraging new hardware security technologies in its processor, computers powered by 7th Gen Intel Core will be the first PCs to provide secure access to premium 4K movies and television content through Sony Pictures Home Entertainment’s ULTRA 4K service.

Not really surprising, I would bet you won't be able to fully use their service without a Kaby Lake processor not because current PCs can't deal with 4K content, but because Kaby Lake has built in hardware level DRM.

Not really surprising, I would bet you won't be able to fully use their service without a Kaby Lake processor not because current PCs can't deal with 4K content, but because Kaby Lake has built in hardware level DRM.

And you will need to be running Windows 10, since Microsoft will not be adding support for the DRM to Windows 7.

I won't be bothering with this service, since my HTPC is stuck on Windows 7 due to Microsoft dropping Media Center in Windows 10.
And yes, I need media center for the cable card tuner support since my cable company scrambles every channel, and I don't want to the big $ for their DRV solution.

Not mainstream, its confined purely to 7th gen Intel CPUs only, no AMD at all !
Effectively no Intel either.

They must use a different dictionary :p

Back