Sony Pictures CEO Claims 'We Have Not Caved'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Ladies and gentlemen, could I have your attention, please? I would like to announce that Sony's CEO has taken the position of Information Minister. :D

While President Obama has joined the voices criticizing Sony Pictures for its decision to pull The Interview, its CEO claims he " In an interview with CNN set to air tonight during Anderson Cooper 360, Michael Lynton tells Fareed Zakaria that "We have not caved. We have not given in." In the pieces CNN has teased, he even says the company would still like for people to see this movie.

Sony CEO:
We have not caved. We have not given in. We would still like for people to see this movie. Next week, we will be removing all remnants and references to this movie from the internet. But trust me on this when I say we will never give in to terrorists and hacker. Btw, can you delete this interview after we are done, can't have it floating around on the internet too.

You aren't fooling anyone mr sony ceo. Please kindly take that bs report of yours and kindly stuff it in your mouth because what your spewing is complete nonsense.

"Removing all references and remnants from the internet"?

HTF will they do that? Steve, you and Kyle ready for a DMCA takedown?

Its kind of easy though for Obama and Hollywood to point at SONY and say..."You caved in you pussies", but Obama and Hollywood arent the ones being directly threatened by the hackers/terrorists so its pretty easy to play "tough guy" when you arent the target.

The entire mess looks a whole lot different when the bullseye is on your back.

They caved so hard because of vague references to 9/11? These are the North Koreans we're talking about. Every time the US and South Korea conduct training ops nearby they threaten to unleash some hellstorm of fire and brimstone. Who the fuck knows...they're technologically stuck in the 1980s. Insignificant and about as terrifying as a 5 year old.

I love the talking heads, sitting behind their camera's and twitter making these comments. There are people that are "in the know" and there was obviously a reason for Sony to make such a drastic move.

Seth Rogan shut the fuck up. That is a man that literally has no filter and will state his mind endlessly on any controversial subject. Since pulling out of all promotional appearances Monday, he has not tweeted a word.

What it comes down to is this move by Sony was done by accountants/management with much more information than the Hollywood or the President have. No matter what the actual threat was; violence, IP leaks, or further "HR" leaks, this is an attempt to limit reputation risk.

"Removing all references and remnants from the internet"?

HTF will they do that? Steve, you and Kyle ready for a DMCA takedown?

I don't think he said that, I think it was a joke.

They apparently have been shopping it but no VOD people are willing to take it as they know their networks will come under attack. I'm thinking Netflix might be able to survive it, since they have a wide network of cache servers. Amazon doesn't want to risk a DDOS during holiday shopping.

That is a man that literally has no filter and will state his mind endlessly on any controversial subject

You say that like it's a negative thing.

He has a point. No sense in releasing it if nobody is willing to show it.

if only sony had a box in millions homes where they could stream it too or some sort of network that people pay for in their homes.

President Obama has joined the voices criticizing Sony Pictures for its decision to pull The Interview

Like you give a shit.

if only sony had a box in millions homes where they could stream it too or some sort of network that people pay for in their homes.

They are looking at that...so far nobody wants to touch it for fear of be targeted by hackers. Try to keep up.

See I would have agreed that they didn't cave if they only pulled it out of the theaters, I mean yeah if theaters won't show it then there really isn't much they can do about that, but they didn't even fight back by for example going direct to disc or on demand. If no one wanted it via VOD, then direct to disc with an announcement saying it will be released direct to video would have been at least a little something. A theater release with a threat like that I can understand, liability wise it would have been stupid to release it even if there was a very low percentage they could carry out the attack. Just look at the Batman shooter lawsuits. That was a completely unknown random act of violence, and the theater that was hit is still in court now because people are saying they didn't have enough security to prevent it.

They didn't cave into the threats of "terrorists", they caved into the threats of people even worst...the lawyers. Can you imagine the lawsuits if something were to happen in a screening at this point in time no matter how trivial? They would be completely liable and claiming "freedom of speech" would get laughed out of court.

Sony should not have given in to those terrorist threats, they are afraid of the information that the terrorist group will release, makes sense that the CEO be afraid of that stolen information. If he wants to remain CEO, better not have any of his private e-mails leaked out to the public :)

It's easy to say Sony shouldn't have given in but the reality of the situation is that, they are already getting sued by former employees in regards to the leaks. The last thing they need on their hands is more leaks or potential acts of violence in the name of a really stupid movie.

He has a point. No sense in releasing it if nobody is willing to show it.

And that part is true. When it comes to the theater release. If nobody is willing to play it, then having a release does no good. My issue however has been that they have since stated a few times that the movie will never be released in any way.

The problem there is that they are is more than just a theatric release for a movie, some are direct to DVD (vod/digital). Now given that they were not planning that route they wouldn't be ready for it just yet. However, if they started working now they could get the movie out pretty quick. Normally a movie hits home release about 3 - 5 months after it is in theaters. However not all of that is due to time to create said content but is just them trying to hold off some for it to run its course through 1st run theaters in the US, then go overseas, then hit the cheap 2nd run theaters. Once they make all the money they can from its theatric run then it hits dvd. So push that forward and they could start having that appear online quickly, then followed up shortly by a physical copy. So a solution to all of this would be to make it a direct to dvd movie and skip the theatric release if you can't go that route.

Also as pointed out they do have their own media distribution platform in place. They made a series Powers that you can only watch if you have a PS4. Well, now even if nobody else wants to touch the movie for online release you have the Sony network.

Its kind of easy though for Obama and Hollywood to point at SONY and say..."You caved in you pussies", but Obama and Hollywood arent the ones being directly threatened by the hackers/terrorists so its pretty easy to play "tough guy" when you arent the target.

Because no terror group would ever dream of taking out a sitting US President or members of his family.

The US and Hollywood always wears a bullseye.

Well it wasn't Sony's fault the theaters backed out of showing it in the first place. But it was certainly their fault for not securing their shit.

I somehow doubt these hackers care about chubby Un. They are probably already looking for a new target

Raise your hand if you give two fucks about seeing this movie

No hand. Zero fucks are given. :)

After watching the trailer, 'smelly dick' jokes and all, I want to personally thank Kim Jong-un for suppressing this depressingly stupid, vulgar film.

I just want The Interview to be released so I can see that fatass Kim Jong Un will react, North Korea thinks they are the top shit, they are only good at making idle threats and nothing else. Really disappointed that Sony "bowed down" to these hackers, which they most likely will do nothing.

I had no interest in the movie until all this crap. Now I want to see it!
Cowering to the demands of terrorists creates a very dangerous precedent.
Do you spineless fruit cakes who side with Sony really believe the hackers are happy and won't bother anyone now?
Oh the naivety of our young. :(

This is a pretty interesting situation... Direct Government policy is to not give into terrorist demands... Private corporations have given in privately... This is a major public give-in to terrorist threats.

While I believe any physical threats are bunk... There very well could be more info from the hack...

I understand not showing in theaters, the liability risk for a cheap movie that is probably insured wouldn't be worth it.

Yet imo Sony gives in if they DON'T release it in some form, heck it might happen anyways just to mess with other productions...

There is definitely things we don't know about...

Well it wasn't Sony's fault the theaters backed out of showing it in the first place.

They didn't all back out. There were a lot of theaters, especially here in the vigilant(e) south, that were still willing to show it. Sony pulled it from those too.

They do, it's where all their release end up as cams -- the boxes are PCs and the system is called torrents. :rolleyes:

Hollywood is tasteless and will do anything for a quick buck over the holidays. Some movies are ok like Grumpy Cat I suppose but there are way too many movies that just plain suck.

Because no terror group would ever dream of taking out a sitting US President or members of his family.

Because every Sony exec has secret service protection and a military to defend them right?
QUOTE=felt;1041306088]Sony should not have given in to those terrorist threats, they are afraid of the information that the terrorist group will release, makes sense that the CEO be afraid of that stolen information. If he wants to remain CEO, better not have any of his private e-mails leaked out to the public :)[/QUOTE]

The north Koreans already have leaked a lot of the info they stole. See articles about Sony bribing and conspiring with a state attorney general recently. These terrorists and rogue nations will do what they want regardless, get real.

I had no interest in the movie until all this crap. Now I want to see it!
Cowering to the demands of terrorists creates a very dangerous precedent.
Do you spineless fruit cakes who side with Sony really believe the hackers are happy and won't bother anyone now?
Oh the naivety of our young. :(

Absolutely not, only a drugged up idiot in a magic dust haze would think they will ever stop until they have destroyed the USA and any nations remotely like it in ideals, freedom, or beliefs. These people are absolutely crazy and want us all dead and everything gone we have ever done from existence, even the history books.

Where I have to disagree though is on Sony being wrong to not release the film. Remember the Batman shootings a long time ago? No foreseeable way to know it might happen, normal security present, nothing done wrong by the theater whatsoever, and they're still doling out millions and in extensive litigation. Sony would have been sued into oblivion if the north Koreans followed up on any of their threats had they released it, by American citizens. It's not like Sony wanted to dump hundreds of millions in potential profit and already spent production costs, trust me ;).

Wow, does anyone else think it was just a bad idea to make this movie? I'm definitely not in the PR business, but when I first saw the movie trailer, I thought, "I bet this doesn't go over well". I mean Kim Jong-un is loose cannon/whack job leader. He has openly threatened China and South Korea over publicly announced missal tests on their own soil. Who in their right mind would sign off on a Hollywood comedy script depicting his proposed assassination while he's still the leader of North Korea? Imagine the backlash if another country released a Hollywood movie depicting the proposed assassination of our President. While I don't think Kim Jong-un, or his followers, are in the right to hack into Sony's infrastructure and/or threaten us with violence, I find it appalling that Sony would even consider releasing a movie of this nature to begin with.

So ten bucks says this is a publicity stunt to take a mediocre movie to a higher financial gain.
"Gee, what's all the fuss about, let's go see it"

I personally think the movie subject is in poor taste and would not be one that interests me, however I feel that by no means should another country should dictate what can be shown in our theaters. That's our gubments job.

the-interview-lizzy-caplan.jpg

Why didn't they hack LC's phone again for more pics?

Back