Sony Online Entertainment Having Rough Day

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A day before SOE was going to take down the PlayStation Network (PSN) for scheduled maintenance, a hacktivist group executed a Distributed Denial of Service attack against PSN. Reports say that the same group also DDoS'ed Battle.net, Path of Exile, and League of Legends. The flight SOE's president is on was recently diverted due to a bomb report from the hacktivists. I'm going to watch this story as things are getting pretty interesting.

Finally off from work after pulling a 12 day stretch and was hoping to get in some quality Diablo 3 ultimate edition game going on my ps4 so I tried to export my ps3 save to psn which gave me a bunch off errors but after a few attempts it finally said successful but who knows? only to jump on to the ps4 and get the stupid psn down error. fucking damn it. There are times i wish i had control of predator drone.

Hmm. From the looks of it, there's a lil bit of an internet fight about this one. Lizard squad claimed responsibility (and saying that they're with the ISIS Caliphate) but this Famegod (anon) has claimed that he's the one that did it, while accusing Lizard squad for taking the credit from him.

Their twitter said they invite the FBI to arrest them...I wonder how many of these dickheads actually get caught...I mean if they are getting fights redirected due to bomb threats, surely they won't last that long

Not Lizard Squad this time?

Well, the bomb threat may be their work, although the DDOS may be another story. Famegod there posted IPs of Lizard Squad members while talked up a little bit of smack, with Lizard Squad being awfully quiet over the accusations.

Never mind the DDOS, which ever idiot called in the bomb threat is surely getting looked into.

I just logged out of Planetside 2 and the servers were as overcrowded as ever. Stupid server merges. Either everyone is making up for lost time or the ddos didn't have much of an effect.

DDOS against game service...feds might care a little bit. Maybe.

Bomb threat on aircraft? Fucking Eye of Sauron.

If you servers are vulnerable to a DDOS then you clearly are either not a large organisation or have sit IT people.

These pieces of crap get no sympathy from me. I cannot understand how so many people can literally have no life, and thus they make it their mission in life to piss other people off.

Hope they enjoy jail. Any bomb threat from Twitter or any source results in Jail time these days. This is uncalled for and make a DDoS attack which is terrible to a terrorist threat. These script kiddies likely a bunch of stupid Teens will find out that the world doesn't take kindly to bomb threats.

Personally, I'm getting tired of the logic that has these groups trying to get at a company and hurting the users. I'm supposed to have access to this service, yet I can't because the only way to hurt a company is to attack their customers who know it wasn't the company fuck up.

A day before SOE was going to take down the PlayStation Network (PSN) for scheduled maintenance, a hacktivist group executed a Distributed Denial of Service attack against PSN. Reports say that the same group also DDoS'ed Battle.net, Path of Exile, and League of Legends. The flight SOE's president is on was recently diverted due to a bomb report from the hacktivists. I'm going to watch this story as things are getting pretty interesting.

This is why people who fail to secure their computers should face liability. Botnets wouldn't be possible without the millions of idiots that know nothing about computers putting insecure computers on the internet.

When I heard those idiots grounded a plane I was SOO happy. No one cares if they interrupt some games for a couple days but you claim there is a bomb on a plane and divert air traffic? They are going to Federal pound me in the ass prison for sure. It was like hearing the local bully went up a cop and spit on his face, I just want to grab some popcorn and sit back and wait for their scared shitless mugshots to be released if they manage to survive the swat raid.

I dislike using the term Hacktivists for these people ... they are not activists (who generally promote peaceful and non-violent forms of protest) ... these Hackers (and I use the term loosely) are simply Anarchists and Vandals ... they are almost universally sociopaths and have nobody's interests at heart except their own :mad:

QFT. They haven't used any of their increased sub money to build up their network.

I would say so. I get full speed downloads from them almost 99 percent of the time. MUCH better than the PS3 speeds I would get for full game downloads (like maybe 2-3Mbps).

Sony has done a lot to improve but obviously it still needs to invest more.

Master [H];1041046439 said:
Personally, I'm getting tired of the logic that has these groups trying to get at a company and hurting the users. I'm supposed to have access to this service, yet I can't because the only way to hurt a company is to attack their customers who know it wasn't the company fuck up.

I've been saying this for a while. Two wrongs don't make a right. In these cases while they are causing grief to the company involved for whatever reason, they are not getting the positive attention for whatever interest they have by disrupting the customers.

If you servers are vulnerable to a DDOS then you clearly are either not a large organisation or have sit IT people.

Current technology to resist an DDOS attack is at BEST lackluster. And at worse rife with false detections. Even a good IDS device will give out at some point. If you can pump enough requests you could DDOS a backbone router. It would just take a phenomenal amount of traffic.

Even to DDOS PSN and Blizzard takes an real effort of a lot of compromised systems to do it. To say a shitty security team to not stpp a DDOS is actually inaccurate. Stopping a DDOS is easy. Doing it while maintaining service to your actual customers is the tricky bit. I would advise not arm chairing this one until we know how the attack was ran. THEN you can arm chair and employ your omniscient hind sight.

Current technology to resist an DDOS attack is at BEST lackluster. And at worse rife with false detections. Even a good IDS device will give out at some point. If you can pump enough requests you could DDOS a backbone router. It would just take a phenomenal amount of traffic.

Even to DDOS PSN and Blizzard takes an real effort of a lot of compromised systems to do it. To say a shitty security team to not stpp a DDOS is actually inaccurate. Stopping a DDOS is easy. Doing it while maintaining service to your actual customers is the tricky bit. I would advise not arm chairing this one until we know how the attack was ran. THEN you can arm chair and employ your omniscient hind sight.

Not once did I get disrupted by this attack on Xbox Live even when it was effected (for about 20 minutes). Yet PSN stayed down for quite a while..

Sony obviously still isn't prepared as well as they should be while Microsoft again proves that while paying for MP service is a downer at least you get the stability that Sony seemingly can not provide.

Every time a major game comes out as well PSN shits the bed. It goes down to pre broadband speeds for me at times and only through preloading can this be avoided. Microsoft handles day 1 downloads like a champ , zero slow down.

There is a level of difference between the two and now that Sony is charging for service its time for them to step up the stability of the service.

Makes it worse that all it takes is a script kiddy who knows where to look online to buy himself time with a botnet. Way too easy to do vs how hard it is to maintain service.

Back