Sony of Europe - PS3 = 500-600 euros ($600-700US!)

man, IF that is true.. no way in HELL would i EVER pay that much. thats insanity.

*cartman voice*

I said, how would you like to suck my balls, Mr. Kutaragi?

Anyways, in that interview with Fumita Ueda I posted, he said that his next game could come out on PSP. Let's hope that's what happens.

The price does not suprise me at all, but I bet that even at that price they are still going to lose alot of money per system.

I remember telling someone during the hardocp live weekend that i dont think sony is going to price this thing much lower then cost. Sony never seems to take a hit on hardware, so if it costs $800-$900 to make, i wasnt too far off base :p

I think a price like that will open more doors for nintendo to get a good jump into the game this round also.

For that price it better come with a lifetime supply of rimjobs from Carmen Electra...

But seriously...

That is way to high a price for a gaming console, even with next-gen optical technology and media-center capabilities. Unless it can be used as a full-fledged home computer, $600+ is too high.

I think this is the flaw in Sony's reasoning for including Blu-Ray in the PS3, they want the PS3 to jump-start Blu-Ray. IMHO, I think MS went a more preferable route with the 360 in allowing for future expansion of the console to next-gen optical. Charge $300-400 now, then let those that want/need the accessory pay the $300 premium for it.

Shame really, I was hoping it (the PS3 price) would be in the same range (or less) than the 360, I would have liked both in my HT.

JSC450 said:
I think a price like that will open more doors for nintendo to get a good jump into the game this round also.

Especially during the holiday shopping season, a price of 600$ would really help out nintendo and microsoft. When Soccer Mom goes the store to buy Timmy that PS3 on his wishlist...then see's the price tag, she will look to the left and right and see "Revolution 250$, X360 400$". Then she will think: Timmy doesn't need a PS3, one of these others will do just fine.

I dont doubt that the PS3 will sell even at that insane price, I just think it will hurt its ability to get strong market penetration early on.

Erasmus354 said:
I dont doubt that the PS3 will sell even at that insane price, I just think it will hurt its ability to get strong market penetration early on.

However, at that price they are guaranteed strong rectal penetration.

I spent around $600 for my videocard lol...thats not that bad for PS3...but I doubt itll be that much. Sony isn't stupid.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I spent around $600 for my videocard lol...thats not that bad for PS3...but I doubt itll be that much. Sony isn't stupid.
I think you'll be surprised to learn that Sony truly will be that stupid and more. The PSX and PS2 were perfectly timed, priced, and were decently powered. The PS3 will be as one of the above posters stated, a Blu-Ray push for mainstream market mass.

Vildayyan2003 said:
I think you'll be surprised to learn that Sony truly will be that stupid and more. The PSX and PS2 were perfectly timed, priced, and were decently powered. The PS3 will be as one of the above posters stated, a Blu-Ray push for mainstream market mass.

I guess we'll just have to wait and find out by Sony....anything else is pure speculation.

$600 isn't as high a number as it looks considering all things.

Like the gentleman above stated, he spent that much on a video card which is needed almost exclusively for gaming.

But, to comment on another [H] poster...sure Sony isn't stupid, but they also have past experience with selling higher priced products that still manage to get deep into the market. Their computers, electronics and prior consoles/portables are a testament to that. Sony has always been more expensive than the rest, yet they are still amazingly successful, even with products that are not always above and beyond. Brand loyalty is a beautiful thing that way. They also have the attitude that "its about the quality, not the price. People WILL pay for the quality”. We don’t know if that will end up hurting them this time. Then again the PS3 might be the best selling piece of entertainment equipment when it comes out. We know they will market it as an entertainment system, and not just a console machine; and they have every right to do so…as does the 360.

Or maybe those are the production costs that Sony will have to pay per-system and our prices will shave $100-$200 off that? That would be nice.

I for one, still think this system will sell just fine (Yes even at $600)…and on top of that I think there is a good chance Sony will still be the #1 in consoles once again, by a good margin too. Me, I hope XBOX catches up and Nintendo does something other than Mario Party 15….good competition is always nice for consumers=)

You can definitely count me as a PS3 owner when it arrives. No Doubt about that.

Sadly, I'll likely get it regardless of the cost just because I tend to be one of those early adopters that always does. The first Xbox is the only system I didn't get in years.
Considering how much PC video cards and upgrades have become, $600 doesn't seem that much. At the same time it hurts me to think about dropping that much when consoles were 1/3 that a few years ago.

I'll still be getting it if its 600...but who knows how much its gonna be. Dont believe anything until it comes out or its officially announced by Sony itself.

Carbon_Le said:
I'll still be getting it if its 600...but who knows how much its gonna be. Dont believe anything until it comes out or its officially announced by Sony itself.

Erm.... this time it did. Sony of Europe. SCEE. Though, theoretically the SCEA US branch could take more of a hit on the hardware and sell it for $500 or $550, how likely is that?

steviep said:
Erm.... this time it did. Sony of Europe. SCEE. Though, theoretically the SCEA US branch could take more of a hit on the hardware and sell it for $500 or $550, how likely is that?

Oops...sorry i might SCEA.

Why wouldn't you pay $600 for the system?
I see people paying from $500 to $1500 for a video card or video cards for thier PC's.

I'm guessing that the US arm of Sony will take the hit. My guess is about $450-$500 USD. Anything above that will alienate a HUGE number of people buying it. Especially, as stated above, when the 360 and Revolution will be considerably cheaper.

If you view the PS3 as a high-end gaming PC/HTPC, then at $600 it's a steal, considering a high end PC would run double or triple that. BUT, will the PS3 come with a web browser, email client, and all the other doo-dads that a high end PC come with? Can't say I know the answer to that question yet.

i think its madness i cant see them actually trying to push it. i meab bluray is cool and all but its not the next answer for media yet. its ONE of them and people dont really feel the need to upgrade right now when most people just got on the dvd bandwagon within the last 2 years. i think its a real bad move on there part and i hope they make it really competitive to the 360. i mean ms has already said they are going to drop the price with the ps3 comes out and sony is saying it will be this big of a price tag.... that is crazy when the avg family has a budget of 6 or 7 hundred for everyone.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/ps3-euro-pricing-not-what-it-seems/
Joystiq speculates, based on X360 pricing in Europe, that the US will sell it for the same as the Euro equivalent ($500-600). That's still way too much for what SHOULD be just a damn game console. These console makers need to stop with this convergence device bullshit and concentrate more on games. Otherwise the PS3 could end up like the PSP :rolleyes:

Vinster said:
If you view the PS3 as a high-end gaming PC/HTPC, then at $600 it's a steal, considering a high end PC would run double or triple that. BUT, will the PS3 come with a web browser, email client, and all the other doo-dads that a high end PC come with? Can't say I know the answer to that question yet.

average joe sees a gaming console, average joe will tell sony to piss off.

Playstation 2 at launch here was fl1200. That's €550, plus a bunch of years inflation would be over €600. All things considered, the PS3 is cheaper than it's predecessor. It's predecessor sold like crazy despite the price, I imagine the PS3 will sell just as good.

(I don't know the launch price of the PS2 when it was launched in the US, so our launch price might've been insane compared to that of the US...)

i bet the 360 drops to $300 and when people see the graphics are the same sony will get pwnt(especially if they miss this holiday season)

paranoia4422 said:
i bet the 360 drops to $300 and when people see the graphics are the same sony will get pwnt(especially if they miss this holiday season)

MS will not do a price drop on the 360, especially considering that they can't even get the units out there after they stated there would be no longer a shortage.

Im guessing the PS3 will be $499 in the US. Still a better deal then the X360 considering it includes a 60GB HD and a wireless controller by default. Oh and Sony's online system offers FREE online gaming.

I can't recall for sure, but the PS2 was around $299 over here on launch. Considering the Ebay listings went upwards of 2K for the machine...demand was pretty high. It was a lot like the Xbox360 was last year, only fewer places did pre-orders so off the wall places tended to actually have it.

WS6 said:
Why wouldn't you pay $600 for the system?
I see people paying from $500 to $1500 for a video card or video cards for thier PC's.

Thats asking a bunch of hardcore pc gamers... Why don't you go around asking the average 20 something year old gamer who doesn't even own a home pc, and isn't in the market of investing hundreds more on a console that has a media format they know little of or will hardly ever use.

Seriously.. the AVERAGE consumer is NOT going to pay > $500. <--- Period.

|MaguS| said:
MS will not do a price drop on the 360, especially considering that they can't even get the units out there after they stated there would be no longer a shortage.

Im guessing the PS3 will be $499 in the US. Still a better deal then the X360 considering it includes a 60GB HD and a wireless controller by default. Oh and Sony's online system offers FREE online gaming.

MS has had HUGE shipments just this week, in fact most stores are stocked now. How do you know MS will not do a price drop ? Can you tell me the winning lotto numbers while you're at it ? MS is announcing a 100gb standard HDD in the Premium 360s.. at E3 (watch). Also MS offers FREE onling gaming also, you know little about the facts young padewan.

theNoid said:
Thats asking a bunch of hardcore pc gamers... Why don't you go around asking the average 20 something year old gamer who doesn't even own a home pc, and isn't in the market of investing hundreds more on a console that has a media format they know little of or will hardly ever use.

Seriously.. the AVERAGE consumer is NOT going to pay > $500. <--- Period.

Bingo. I am 19 and in college and unless mom or dad is buying it for me, there is no way i plan on getting ps3 if it is over $400. I bought a 360 core and usually buy used games. Money is tight to me, especially when i need things like clothes and beer. (Not to mention text books! :mad: )

I want to get a PS3 for it's advanced capabilities and some of it's exclusive series.......but for $700? It better be fucking amazing for me to pay that much. It will also take a lot of courage for me to pay that much for it. It better win a lot of people over in a VERY HUGE way-otherwise Sony can kiss their asses goodbye.

theNoid said:
MS has had HUGE shipments just this week, in fact most stores are stocked now. How do you know MS will not do a price drop ? Can you tell me the winning lotto numbers while you're at it ? MS is announcing a 100gb standard HDD in the Premium 360s.. at E3 (watch). Also MS offers FREE onling gaming also, you know little about the facts young padewan.

How is it FREE? MS 100GB HDD?...why b/c Sony is putting in a 60GB HDD so now MS gotta upgrade it?

theNoid said:
Also MS offers FREE onling gaming also, you know little about the facts young padewan.

The free version of Xbox Live (Silver I think) does not give you the ability to play online, you must upgrade to gold to have the ability to play online.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/memberships/

Myabe you should learn the facts before opening your mouth.

I wonder if its ever possible for these types of threads to not turn into MS vs. PS3 or Apple vs. PC or whatever.

It would be a good psychology paper=)

CopyCat said:
I wonder if its ever possible for these types of threads to not turn into MS vs. PS3 or Apple vs. PC or whatever.

It would be a good psychology paper=)

Yes... Just find a forum where everyone is a mature adult.

...actually that probably wouldn't work either. Actually there is at least one games forum where people don't argue over petty crap.

Back