Sony MDR-V300 Tip Broke. need new headphones

2[H]4U
while trying to unplug my headphones from the back of my computer, i used a little too much force and the first tip before the green ring broke on me, it just fell off. now i looked at the tip and it was bent, now its broken and cant me used... i need new headphones.. got any suggestions? i dont do serious hardcore gaming for music, just to listen fro IMs and occiasional gaming. I want somthing sub 50 dollars, the old headphones i got were 49.99 but i had a 75 dollar gift card for best buy. got any suggestions?
thanks

i was thinking of geting the MDR-V150 for 19.99 from Sony.

you cant fix it, i tried super glue, when you plug it in, the medal thing in the port bends it back and pops it back out

and dude... i said no more than 50 bucks

0810 said:
you cant fix it, i tried super glue, when you plug it in, the medal thing in the port bends it back and pops it back out

and dude... i said no more than 50 bucks

Sorry man, I can understand the money thing, but I had the MDR-V300's, I decided they weren't good enough, so I saved. But yeah, you can prolly fix those by going to a radio shack, picking up a stereo mini plug, and stripping the wire and putting the new plug on. If you want to buy another set of headphones in the >50.00 range, I would go with the new logitech gaming headset, comfy pads, sounds good, and it has a mic.

lol. you guys are funny.

You can fix it if you have a old crap set of headphones... cut the cord and rewire it. But if you are trying to spend < $50 or even > $50.. stay away from the V700's. (just from personal experience) If you can, get the Sony V6's... if Best Buy is all you got to work with.

i actuallly already tried taht, i cut the wire on some old 2 piece speakers and cutthe cord on the headphones and tried to rewire it, but the headphones wire was weird, there was barely any actualy wires, it was like string! then i justgave up, i dont mind spending on a new set just as long as its not abouve 50 bucks

i do plan in the furture to use my new headphones as my headphones for oprtalbe audio, so i dont wanna walk down a street with a microphone on my headset

magnetik said:
lol. you guys are funny.

You can fix it if you have a old crap set of headphones... cut the cord and rewire it. But if you are trying to spend < $50 or even > $50.. stay away from the V700's. (just from personal experience) If you can, get the Sony V6's... if Best Buy is all you got to work with.

Why would you stay away from the V700's? I have them, before those I had a set of V600's and they lacked mid-range, so imo the V700's are prolly the best in the price range. I use them currently from a reciever, which my computer is hooked up to via fiber.

0810 said:
well if you look here,,,,
http://www.petitiononline.com/sonymdrv/petition.html

the v700 sucks and people paid a lot to get it fixed

Wow, didn't even know about that, I've had mine for like a year, with a lot of hard use. I have no problems with them. Maybe I have a batch after they fixed the flaw. I don't DJ or anything, but I do cart them to LANs all the time, and they've been dropped A LOT.

FlatLine84 said:
Why would you stay away from the V700's? I have them, before those I had a set of V600's and they lacked mid-range, so imo the V700's are prolly the best in the price range. I use them currently from a reciever, which my computer is hooked up to via fiber.

I had the V700's also and think that you could get a better set of cans for the price. (ie V6's) I don't know about the durability since I didn't dj or anything. I actually liked the design and how they folded up tho... but the sound quality was lacking. They are no where in the league of some $100+ cans. They sounded like all midrange to me.

so... got an suggestions? maybe some other brands besides sony?

0810 said:
so... got an suggestions? maybe some other brands besides sony?

The Sony V6's are great for the price... but since you said you were going to use it for your portable.. that counts out any larger headphones.. Maybe some Sennheiser HD201's?

Have you considered getting some decent earbuds? You can get some good sets in the $50 range.

Anyways.. there is already a thread titled.. "Headphones Under $50" that might help.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=934875

but notice the price difference between the 100 and 200, only 3 dollars from an unknown site?

0810 said:
but notice the price difference between the 100 and 200, only 3 dollars from an unknown site?

Personally... I wouldn't buy it from there... only because I never heard of them before.. They have decent resellerratings but there are only 6 votes.

Did you say you had a gift certificate from Best Buy that you had to use?

Maybe you should get them locally with your gift certificate just in case they break or if you don't like em.

Well, if your going to cheap out, there really is'nt "too" much point in nit picking with headphones. Or so I see.

I personally have the Sennheiser HD497's. They are cheap, and lack a lot of musical involvment found in higher end headphones, but for someone like you who may not need good music form the headphones, they fit the bill (especially at like 40$us). I have not heard anything in the under 40$ range that I liked better, they edge on the high frequencies and lack defined bass.

I use them with my laptop, and for things like going on vacation to use in the plane (can't stand the in the ear headphones they give out). If they ever got lost or stolen, no biggy.

As always, check out your local audio stores and see if you can listen to them before buying.

On a plus side, they can be driven by portable devices. And are lightweight, but are very small fitting around the ear. If you have big ears, try them out before you buy them.

~Hope this helps

towert7 said:
Well, if your going to cheap out, there really is'nt "too" much point in nit picking with headphones. Or so I see.

I personally have the Sennheiser HD497's. They are cheap, and lack a lot of musical involvment found in higher end headphones, but for someone like you who may not need good music form the headphones, they fit the bill (especially at like 40$us). I have not heard anything in the under 40$ range that I liked better, they edge on the high frequencies and lack defined bass.

I use them with my laptop, and for things like going on vacation to use in the plane (can't stand the in the ear headphones they give out). If they ever got lost or stolen, no biggy.

As always, check out your local audio stores and see if you can listen to them before buying.

On a plus side, they can be driven by portable devices. And are lightweight, but are very small fitting around the ear. If you have big ears, try them out before you buy them.

~Hope this helps

i was thinking about getting these but from pictures, they look pretty huge.

what about the 457s?

0810 said:
i was thinking about getting these but from pictures, they look pretty huge.
They are not nearly as large as the full sized headphones (Sennheiser HD550/590/580 & beyerdynamic dt770, dt990pro).

Really though, for protable devices like laptops or MP3 players, they are very good.

The headband is the only large thing, the earpads are rather small, but they do "cup" the ears......... so a little larger then those that rest directly on the ears. They are also light. They don't fold up, but the earpads do come off totally.

Check it out at your local computer store or audio stores, and you can get an idea of the size.

how about you take a picture of your ear and another pic of you wearing em? lol :D

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_HD497/4014-6468_7-20145920.html?ccmd=add&tag=bc&zip=94110

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...kw=SEHD497&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=265001

okay, WHY IS IT SO EXPENSIVE at a RETAIL STORE? its like 75 bucks at COMPUSSR??
i dont even have a credit card! Im only 15! Ive used my sisters credit card too many times

will bestbuy pricematch an online dealer? especially one like BHP? and if they do, do i have to buy it from Compussr first before i can get the price difference or can i show it to them at the counter?

EDIT: Found their low price policy

CompUSA’s Retail Store Low Price Guarantee.
We'll match any local retail competitor's advertised price on every technology product we sell, either at the time of purchase or within the following 21 days. Our low price commitment covers all new, factory sealed products of the same brand and model number that are available, and in stock, at any local retail store. Our commitment does not apply to Internet offers or any one-of-a-kind or other limited-quantity offers, discontinued or close out items, refurbished products, trade-in sales, or special financing.

does that exclude online dealers?

im worried that the cushioning on the 497 would make my ears warm and really hot, cause my mdr-v300 did that a lot and it had the same type of cushioning, how about the 457s?

0810 said:
im worried that the cushioning on the 497 would make my ears warm and really hot, cause my mdr-v300 did that a lot and it had the same type of cushioning, how about the 457s?
The cussion will get warm becaue its a fake leather type material, but it will "cup" your ears and your ears won't get the hot "swamp effect" as an on the ear headphone will. Maybe ask your local compussr if you can open one up and try it on your head. The box opens up really easy. But your right, I went to compusa, and they were pricey compared to the 40$ i paid at newegg.

I'll see if i can take a quick picture of them on my head ;)

size in respect to my head http://home.comcast.net/~towert7/pics/hd497-4.jpg
hd497-1.jpg

hd497-2.jpg

hd497-3.jpg

The lengths ill go to help a person out :cool:

bump, sooo im planning to order tomrrow but still cant decide on the 457 or 497

I do like the belt clip on the 457 but i do like how is says "extreme comfort" on the 497 instead of "comfortable" on the 457. also, the 497 is more popular and has slightly better ratings. But im not sure how i like hot ears from the 497 but the 457 will cause moist ears.help.

Back