Sony LISTENS to Voice Chats to Scan for 'TOXICITY' in Latest PS4 Update?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a gaming environment it's always trash talk the onus is on no one to explain.

LOL aggresion over the internet. A fine sense of humor you have sir.
See, and that doesn't work within civilized society. In real life, I would have stepped up to your face for your LOL comment. Just because you can hide behind a keyboard shouldn't allow you to not face the consequences. And that's the problem with the lack of enforcement of rules. (Now this is an example--I'm not really the type of person that steps into a fight, but it illustrates the point.)

The one consolation and sad corollary is that when you meet the biggest baddest trash talkers in real life, you are shocked at how powerless and feeble they are in real life and realize the talk is just massive compensation. And it's sad actually that there are so many people like this in the world--truly sad. :( It sucks that all this technology that was supposed to allow us to enjoy things together instead has become an outlet to make others miserable as a relief for our own issues. This is the proverbial 'dark side of the force'--giving into hate.

See, and that doesn't work within civilized society. In real life, I would have stepped up to your face for your LOL comment. Just because you can hide behind a keyboard shouldn't allow you to not face the consequences. And that's the problem with the lack of enforcement of rules. (Now this is an example--I'm not really the type of person that steps into a fight, but it illustrates the point.)

The one consolation and sad corollary is that when you meet the biggest baddest trash talkers in real life, you are shocked at how powerless and feeble they are in real life and realize the talk is just massive compensation. And it's sad actually that there are so many people like this in the world--truly sad. :( It sucks that all this technology that was supposed to allow us to enjoy things together instead has become an outlet to make others miserable as a relief for our own issues. This is the proverbial 'dark side of the force'--giving into hate.

Civility is merely a facade and could end at any minute.

Very few people 'step up' in real life, case in point you. The reality behind your fasade is that you don't know just how far that other person will go, and since you like many others are not prepared to inflict physical violence, you don't step up.

You claim every IRL trashtalker is just a empty wind bag, I can tell you that reality is very different. They might be compensating, but they are more likely to resort to violence than joe/jane public. Which is why almost no one steps up to the aggressive crazy person on the street.

Do you not see the difference between trash talk while gaming and slurs in a forum post?

If you can't then I can't help you.

There is no need for trash talk in competition, gaming or otherwise.

You can compete like a civilized adult.

Best gaming community I was ever a part of was Red Orchestra. Voice comms were generally on topic, used to coordinate team play, and most people were courteous to each other, even the opposing team.

Occasionally we'd have a Steam free weekend, which would bring in the riff-raff yelling obnoxious shit, but a few quick bans, and that was not a problem anymore.

I'd argue that if you can't play a game, even a competitive one, without trash talk, then you have a lot of growing up to do.

if you cant take some trash talk, you have a lot of growing up to do.
I go back and forth with this. It's like the anti-bullying stuff I see in schools. Part of me thinks we are coddling the kids. But the, I think, sensible part of me rightly asks the questions, "wait, am I just LETTING a bully beat up a kid, just to help make him tough? surely there's a better way"

And by the way, when I think of "toxic" I don't think of traditional trash talking, "haha take this bitch!" but more like the league of legends community. I was a grown ass man but any interest I might have had in that game was destroyed by a whiff of just how toxic even a 'casual' game can be. I wonder if that's what Sony is trying to prevent here

I don't see why this is a problem. If Sony reviews complaints and it goes against the TOS, then begone. Griefers and trolls can go somewhere else.
Today what you think is appropriate is ok

Tomorrow what you think is appropriate is suddenly hate speech.

The slippery slope is not a fallacy and people who call it that always have an agenda.

Today what you think is appropriate is ok

Tomorrow what you think is appropriate is suddenly hate speech.

The slippery slope is not a fallacy and people who call it that always have an agenda.

Slippery arguments have been classified as logical fallacies for a long time. You wanting it to be different, in order to fit your own agenda, does not make it so. Those same logical fallacies have been used for ages to try and argue against progress and treating different people better. Yes, there are extremes and yes some people and groups take it too far, but don’t fall into the brainwashing trap of thinking that all of it is bad or somehow ruining the world or whatever inane nonsense is being spread these days.

Slippery arguments have been classified as logical fallacies for a long time. You wanting it to be different, in order to fit your own agenda, does not make it so. Those same logical fallacies have been used for ages to try and argue against progress and treating different people better. Yes, there are extremes and yes some people and groups take it too far, but don’t fall into the brainwashing trap of thinking that all of it is bad or somehow ruining the world or whatever inane nonsense is being spread these days.
Horseshit.

As pendragon1 said 6 months ago "Sexual preference" was ok.

Now it's hate speech.

geewhatsthat.png

https://www.merriam-webster.com/medical/sexual preference

What's that? Couldn't hear you over the irony.

Added 3 days ago.

So what is ok today is verboten tomorrow.

Slippery slope achieved.

Not really the slippery slope you claim it to be. It’s as stupid as claiming the pushback against the n-word was a slippery slope. Being respectful of people and understanding them and trying to use better terminology over time is not a “slippery slope”. It’s called not being an asshole. We should all strive to be better and to make sure the people after us have a better, more understanding and caring, world than the one we were born into. A group saying “this term is kind of bad, gives the wrong implication, and can be kind of offensive” isn’t censorship, it isn’t a slippery slope, it isn’t anything the idiot extremists claim it to be. It’s a request for people not to be assholes and to treat their fellow humans as humans and not the “other”.

Edit: And, yes, things do change over time. Words change, word usage and meaning changes, the terms we use to refer to one another change, and so on. Life is all about change and adaption. As we learn more about ourselves and about each other change happens. This is natural. We often re-examine our lives and what we think about the world, this leads to change.

Not really the slippery slope you claim it to be. It’s as stupid as claiming the pushback against the n-word was a slippery slope. Being respectful of people and understanding them and trying to use better terminology over time is not a “slippery slope”. It’s called not being an asshole. We should all strive to be better and to make sure the people after us have a better, more understanding and caring, world than the one we were born into. A group saying “this term is kind of bad, gives the wrong implication, and can be kind of offensive” isn’t censorship, it isn’t a slippery slope, it isn’t anything the idiot extremists claim it to be. It’s a request for people not to be assholes and to treat their fellow humans as humans and not the “other”.
You mean a group made a word someone they didn't like said, a word that was ok before but not if you say it hate speech?

That didn't happen?

Are you sure it didn't?

That is a slippery slope in action.

Can't wait to see what Sony's "code of conduct" people decide what word they don't like this week.

It's not even pushback it's "we don't like you using our words."

Words for me not for thee.

You mean a group made a word someone they didn't like said, a word that was ok before but not if you say it hate speech?

That didn't happen?

Are you sure it didn't?

That is a slippery slope in action.

Can't wait to see what Sony's "code of conduct" people decide what word they don't like this week.

It's not even pushback it's "we don't like you using our words."

Words for me not for thee.

Point to me EXACTLY where it’s defined as hate speech? Those EXACT words. Not offensive not “we don’t like this”. Actual, legit, hate speech and mass banning and punishment for using it.

Care to prove that the term came from the LGBT community? Care to prove that it’s considered acceptable within the community at large? Care to provide anything but scaremongering fucking bullshit nonsense?

Point to me EXACTLY where it’s defined as hate speech? Those EXACT words. Not offensive not “we don’t like this”. Actual, legit, hate speech and mass banning and punishment for using it.

Care to prove that the term came from the LGBT community? Care to prove that it’s considered acceptable within the community at large? Care to provide anything but scaremongering fucking bullshit nonsense?
It's only been 3 days.

You got to let lefty lawmakers write a bill for it first.

For the time being they'll call it hate speech.

Like all speech they don't like.

It was acceptable we know that.

Leftys use it even some up for election and a judge who just passed.

Last edited:
It's always rightwing people who want speech laws.... sure there.

Of course they do. Both sides do. The extremists on both ends want to control everything about who we are, what we think, what we say, etc. You’re blind if you think otherwise.

Of course they do. Both sides do. The extremists on both ends want to control everything about who we are, what we think, what we say, etc. You’re blind if you think otherwise.
That's news to me considering the state of the current censorship of certain BIG tech companies against a certain political party.

Sigh...that devolved quickly.

I guess I'll toss my 2 cents in: I don't care. I use Discord.

EDIT: How do I do it on a PS4? I keep the app open on my phone.

That's news to me considering the state of the current censorship of certain BIG tech companies against a certain political party.

The state that can easily be proven false because both sides claim (with so-called evidence) that the companies are against them? Confirmation bias isn’t fact. We’re often blinded by confirmation bias, we expect something to be one way and ignore all evidence to the contrary because we’ve blinded ourselves into thinking that something has to be the way we see it.

Now because this is heading deeply into the Soapbox realm I will no longer participate in this discussion since the whole thread is essentially political.

Last edited:
Let me just leave you with two quotes. The first is the literal text of the First Amendment of the United States Constitution:

Second, is a definition of the modern understanding of freedom of speech in the U.S. as eloquently captured by supreme court justice Thurgood Marshall in 1972:

Again, it's all about the goverment. It is crystal clear. No one can compel a private enterprise or individual to carry someone elses speech.

Unquote me please. I have deleted that response already before you posted yours. I am not wanting to be in this thread at all. I have been warned and nearly banned for participating in soap box topics before. It isnt that I wouldnt want to discuss this with you. Just not on these tech forums where poltical threads are essentially banned, which according your earlier point is private property. I respect [H]'s property. So please just unquote me, not that you have too, only my request.

Unquote me please. I have deleted that response already before you posted yours. I am not wanting to be in this thread at all. I have been warned and nearly banned for participating in soap box topics before. It isnt that I wouldnt want to discuss this with you. Just not on these tech forums where poltical threads are essentially banned, which according your earlier point is private property, which I respect [H]'s property. So please just unquote me, not that you have too, only my request.

While I strongly disagree with you on some of these issues, I will respect that.

Posts deleted.

Unquote me please. I have deleted that response already before you posted yours. I am not wanting to be in this thread at all. I have been warned and nearly banned for participating in soap box topics before. It isnt that I wouldnt want to discuss this with you. Just not on these tech forums where poltical threads are essentially banned, which according your earlier point is private property. I respect [H]'s property. So please just unquote me, not that you have too, only my request.
You should get a genmay subscription so you can participate in the soapbox :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back