Sony: It Will “Probably Be Some Time” before We See PS5

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Will we be getting another version of the PlayStation 4 Pro? That doesn’t seem out of the question: Sony President and CEO Shawn Layden suggests that there will a substantial wait before we hear anything about a true next-generation PlayStation, unofficially killing those rumors of a PS5 debuting as early as the end of next year. Based on previous generations, we may not see it until 2020 or 2021.

“With the PlayStation 4 Pro we have for the first time implemented this kind of innovation within the life cycle of a console,” said Layden, according to a rough translation in Google Translate. “The Pro is really only to offer advantages such as 4K resolutions and HMD for players who can and want to use that. Add to this a more stable image rate and larger hard disk space. But [PS4 owners have] no real disadvantages. Each of our games will continue to run on the classic PS4 and possibly slightly better on the Pro.”

I like my ps4 pro, i feel as if they failed at marketing it though. So many people I know had no idea it existed, and now with the dropping price of the regular ps4, how do you justify its advantages to the consumer?

Only reason I got it over a regular is I didn't already have a ps4, so it made sense to pay the extra $100 for it.

"possibly slightly better" this is not how you sell the revamp console.

It really is best they are realistic about what the upgrade delivers. Nobody wants another fail in the likes of that other 4-letter-starting-with-an-S console dev...

It's been less than 5 years since the PS4 launched. Give it another year or two. It was six and a half years between PS2 and PS3, and six years between PS3 and PS4.

Next week is "some time." They'll do just what every other corporation does: whatever their market analysis shows will make them the most money. If their spreadsheets showed that releasing the PS5 next Monday would make their stock go up a few percentage points, they'd do it (not that they could in that time frame, but you know what I mean) and not give two fucks about having just reassured everyone that the PS4 was alive and well for the foreseeable future.

Next week is "some time." They'll do just what every other corporation does: whatever their market analysis shows will make them the most money. If their spreadsheets showed that releasing the PS5 next Monday would make their stock go up a few percentage points, they'd do it (not that they could in that time frame, but you know what I mean) and not give two fucks about having just reassured everyone that the PS4 was alive and well for the foreseeable future.
To add to your statement. If they announce that they will be releasing a new PlayStation it will hurt sales of the current models. They will wait until the last possible second to announce a new version.

If only it had the 4K UHD drive included in that $100 price premium. But nope. A slightly maybe better or slightly faster but still the same thing, really, for $100 more. Uh.... what marketing genius coughed up this crap?

Sony and MS both need to get ready for screen resolutions doubling every 5 years.

some time= 2019

I think winter 2019 will be the year. The system is not even 4 years old yet. The refresh was to drive some sales and interest for the bigger spenders on the console side of things. Believe it or not, there are still many big gamers who don't play PC games that have plenty of money to spend on slightly better console versions. 6 years would be right around the time for a replacement. Right now they're killing it in sales (60 million sold in 3 1/2 years), and I don't see why they'd nix that early.

Considering the launch dates of the PSVR , the ps4 "slim and the ps4 "Pro", I'd say they are likely to put out a revised PSVR as their next hardware revision along with some game tie-in bundles and maybe a price drop for the ps4 "pro'

Sony has the position to undercut some Xbox One X sales this holiday season while still making more profits before it launches a whole new generation ( which arguably the xbox one X kinda would have been is years past) and Sony should wait for AMD to put together a cheaper "Zen" / "Vega" based solution to either match the Xboxone X performance or beat it while costing less and by then maybe HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh will be standard on consumer TVs too.

One of the things that surprised me about the xboxone x is microsoft was hinting on Free-sync compatibility but they didn't seem to confirm it would be ready for HDMI 2.1 because while I could possibly seem some gamers getting a free-sync monitor just for their console, I don't see any TV makers implementing free-sync versus doing HDMI 2.1 variable refresh and I'd want HDR and variable refresh and currently HDR on monitors is a joke compared to what you have available on consumer TVs for much less than a free-sync HDR gaming monitor is going to cost.

Sony can do a revised HDR PSVR well before a PS5 is needed and have them be better placed to sell than if it tried to rushed out a xboxone x competitor that still probably wouldn't handle "4K" gaming @60fps and alienate current ps4 owners.

Microsoft was already in a better position to put out new hardware because they are trying to play catchup but Sony can wait longer until it is "forced" to react and still be making plenty in profits from a much bigger install base for a few years.

If only it had the 4K UHD drive included in that $100 price premium. But nope. A slightly maybe better or slightly faster but still the same thing, really, for $100 more. Uh.... what marketing genius coughed up this crap?

Sony and MS both need to get ready for screen resolutions doubling every 5 years.
People would cry if it came in at $500.

It's really ridiculous that we would get a new console that can't natively render 4k in 60fps with next gen poly models, textures and such. I don't see it being done with less than 12gb of video memory and something similar to current gen 1080ti power. However, if they can wait long enough, they will get much more than that as nvidia and AMD have started to rachet up the graphics R/D Anny in the last few years.

Honestly no one gives a shit about playing mass effect andromeda in 4k and no one is going to buy a console if that is what they think next gen looks like. Current ps4, more so with pro is adequate for current console demands. It trounces the handheld from nintendo which is a non compete, and has a MASSIVE install base compared to XBOX that seems to be curmudgeonly trudging along.

I haven't bought a ps since ps2, and with the number of pc ports, and access to many of the once exclusives being released later down the line on pc, I don't see myself buying one anytime soon. I'll keep buying my son nintendo gear and raging hard on pc.

Given the PS4 still has quite an amazing line up in the works, the system has no real need to change or to release a new console. The console has alot of life left in it, unlike XBOX who shunned games for a glorified "Fastest system ever" and released next to nothing for it.

Considering the launch dates of the PSVR , the ps4 "slim and the ps4 "Pro", I'd say they are likely to put out a revised PSVR as their next hardware revision along with some game tie-in bundles and maybe a price drop for the ps4 "pro'

Sony has the position to undercut some Xbox One X sales this holiday season while still making more profits before it launches a whole new generation ( which arguably the xbox one X kinda would have been is years past) and Sony should wait for AMD to put together a cheaper "Zen" / "Vega" based solution to either match the Xboxone X performance or beat it while costing less and by then maybe HDMI 2.1 and variable refresh will be standard on consumer TVs too.

One of the things that surprised me about the xboxone x is microsoft was hinting on Free-sync compatibility but they didn't seem to confirm it would be ready for HDMI 2.1 because while I could possibly seem some gamers getting a free-sync monitor just for their console, I don't see any TV makers implementing free-sync versus doing HDMI 2.1 variable refresh and I'd want HDR and variable refresh and currently HDR on monitors is a joke compared to what you have available on consumer TVs for much less than a free-sync HDR gaming monitor is going to cost.

Sony can do a revised HDR PSVR well before a PS5 is needed and have them be better placed to sell than if it tried to rushed out a xboxone x competitor that still probably wouldn't handle "4K" gaming @60fps and alienate current ps4 owners.

Microsoft was already in a better position to put out new hardware because they are trying to play catchup but Sony can wait longer until it is "forced" to react and still be making plenty in profits from a much bigger install base for a few years.

Freesync is a non-factor; TV manufacturers aren't going to abandon HDMI, nor bother putting another port that people aren't going to use.

What's going to happen is the new HDMI Spec (2.3) is adding VRR, making both Freesync/Gysnc obsolete.

Which a hardware refresh can do just as easy as a new console. What does a PS5 give you that a PS4 Pro doesn't? With the hardware refresh approach they can give you better hardware every 3 - 4 years and your old games still work. Just like your computer. I don't understand why everyone wants to have to throw away all their PS4 games (or Xbox in that case) and rebuy everything all over again.

All based on strength of PS4 sales. Once they start to roll off in a way that jeopardizes game sales. PS5 announced.

Freesync is a non-factor; TV manufacturers aren't going to abandon HDMI, nor bother putting another port that people aren't going to use.

What's going to happen is the new HDMI Spec (2.3) is adding VRR, making both Freesync/Gysnc obsolete.
OP was correct it's HDMI 2.1 (spec here) that includes VRR, which is a variable refresh rate technology based in part on Freesync if I recall correctly. At least it shouldn't require the display side hardware that G-Sync needs so should be a lot more likely for TV manufacturers to support it.

I'm very much hoping to see 120HZ 4K OLED TV's supporting VRR in the next 2-3 years. Current 2017 LG OLED TV's support 1080p@120Hz so no reason to think they won't support 4k@120Hz when the HDMI bandwidth is sufficient.

More stable image rate? Lolwut. Slightly better on pro? That's if it is supported at all, and when it is, often marginally better.
So many games barely break 900p or 1080p and there are literally no high quality new 1080p TVs made new now. Stuck with upscaling for freaking forever. If this was a CRT it wouldn't be so bad.

That is cool, I am getting the One X anyways, thanks for the heads up Sony.

Which a hardware refresh can do just as easy as a new console. What does a PS5 give you that a PS4 Pro doesn't? With the hardware refresh approach they can give you better hardware every 3 - 4 years and your old games still work. Just like your computer. I don't understand why everyone wants to have to throw away all their PS4 games (or Xbox in that case) and rebuy everything all over again.

I see your point but consider this... band-aids like this slow down the development and release of the next gen. Not that I'm advocating a faster console cycle (I recently made a post elsewhere on here about the 10 year cycle).... but I think the ever increasing technology evolution demands it. Ultimately it comes down to the studios/devs and what they produce, not what hardware we're shooting for.

OTOH, screw all that. Screw consoles. I'm perfectly OK with the $200 peasant consoles while I sip cocktails on the party deck of the PC Master Race mega-yacht. Pass the champagne!

I see your point but consider this... band-aids like this slow down the development and release of the next gen. Not that I'm advocating a faster console cycle (I recently made a post elsewhere on here about the 10 year cycle).... but I think the ever increasing technology evolution demands it. Ultimately it comes down to the studios/devs and what they produce, not what hardware we're shooting for.

OTOH, screw all that. Screw consoles. I'm perfectly OK with the $200 peasant consoles while I sip cocktails on the party deck of the PC Master Race mega-yacht. Pass the champagne!

You didn't answer my question. What makes it a new console generation? Other than them not calling it one, why isn't the Xbox One X a next gen console? The Wii U still used all the Wii accessories, played all the Wii games, but did so with better hardware. However that was a new generation the Wii was gen 7, the Wii U was gen 8, and the switch is the only thing I guess that people consider gen 9 although that depends on who you ask as other say that it is still gen 8. What is different between The Wii and Wii U that is different between the Xbox One and Xbox One X or PS4 and PS4 Pro? Outside of a term that is. Had they named it the Xbox 4 would it suddenly be next gen? The whole concept of generations has always been very flexible. Some times you had multiple systems in one generation as they never really said when making it that this is the next generation. there never was a clear we are in gen X. Instead it started to revolve around when there was a massive shift. To which, a jump to faster hardware and the inclusion of new media and higher graphics is a shift. They just didn't tell everyone that it was a new generation. Instead it was we are creating a new console that still plays all your old games that you are playing on the current console along with new better games. Which isn't that what every bitched about not having with the Xbox One and PS4? So we got it this time, the new system perfectly plays your old games only better... just like your computer does and what everyone has been saying should happen... So why are people so pissy that Microsoft and Sony listened to people?

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Back