Sony Issuing Takedowns for Leaked PS4 Software Development Kits

monkeymagick

[H]News
So it seems Sony is up to some shenanigans. The company is trying to pull the plug on PS4 Software Development Kits from the Web by way of DMCA's "Safe Harbor" provision, 17 U.S.C. 512. From Ars Technica, Sony is preventing any leaks of its current SDK, version 4.5 which includes files and any information regarding the kit. By issuing these takedown notices, websites and other unofficial open source-homebrew SDKs such as Cturt's PS4 SDK are getting contacted by their legal team as mentioned on wololo.net. You use to be cool, Sony with the Net Yaroze.

The situation as it currently stands shows the perils of letting copyright holders cast too wide of a legal net in trying to squash the leaking of confidential material. While few would begrudge Sony its effort to try to recork the bottle containing its proprietary PS4 SDK after it leaked, extending that dragnet to mere reporting on the leak, and to the posting of unrelated homebrew projects, seems like an abuse of the law's intent

Last edited:
I do, I think EULA's are too far reaching. It's a situation that's seriously becoming a landslide.
This isn't a EULA issue. Sony does not offer development kits to just anyone. Developers have to sign none disclosure contracts to be able to purchase a development kits.on top of other things I am sure. Having SDK leak could lead to cracker being able to by pass Sony security and allow pirating on the PS4. So it is a big deal to them.

Everyone who isn't butt-fucking retarded knows by now that any "Take-down requests" simply results in the Streisand Effect. Good job shooting yourself in the foot I guess?

This isn't a EULA issue. Sony does not offer development kits to just anyone. Developers have to sign none disclosure contracts to be able to purchase a development kits.on top of other things I am sure. Having SDK leak could lead to cracker being able to by pass Sony security and allow pirating on the PS4. So it is a big deal to them.

Not Sony's SDK

unofficial open source-homebrew SDKs such as Cturt's PS4 SDK

Someone else made an SDK for Sony's hardware.

It doesn't matter. It's already out there. It will be found, it will be shared, it won't be buried. I didn't think I had an interest in it until now.

Not Sony's SDK

Someone else made an SDK for Sony's hardware.

It doesn't matter. It's already out there. It will be found, it will be shared, it won't be buried. I didn't think I had an interest in it until now.
Made from Sony's SDK.

It's a big deal to me who doesn't want his account stolen or have rampant cheating appear.

Nothing good can come from letting those sdks run wild.

I do, I think EULA's are too far reaching. It's a situation that's seriously becoming a landslide.
I do not like where the consoles are going so I voted with the wallet and said no to all of the current gen stuff

Back