Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

According to Sony they've sold more PS5 pre-orders in 12 days than PS4's in 12 weeks. While a lot are delayed, this still means they opened up pre-orders for multiple millions of units. The PS4 sold-through (as in, got into customer's hands) over 4.5m units by the end of 2013. They plan to sell 7.5m units by the end of March (for reference, the PS4 sold somewhere between 6 and 7m in the same time frame). That's a pretty significant uptick in demand.
Yeah, I wonder how much preorders were actual legitimate customers and not scalpers. This gives me PTSD about communism. That was the time when people sold their places in the queue for "pre-ordering" cars. A 1-2 year old used car cost more than a new car, because for a new car you had to wait years.

A 1-2 year old used car cost more than a new car, because for a new car you had to wait years.

Book a new car. When you get it after 2 years, book another car.

When second new car arrives, sell first new car for a higher amount & book another car.

Rinse.
Repeat.

Book a new car. When you get it after 2 years, book another car.

When second new car arrives, sell first new car for a higher amount & book another car.

Rinse.
Repeat.
They were communists, not stupid, you had to put up most of the money when you ordered the car, not when you got it. And if you were lucky the car was in the color you wanted, sometimes you had to take whatever was on the lot, because if you didn't you go to the end of the queue again.

*looks around*

You can't be serious right? 0 consoles at stores on launch day... 0 consoles. You think there isn't a supply problem lol.

Sony’s supposed targets for PS5 production were still higher than any previous six-month ramp, and any adjustments the company has made may be strictly nominal.

They gave reasons for that, COVID whether we like it or not. They don't think the same as US companies when it comes to that. Sony has more than just the US launch to worry about. Also, online orders are sky rocketing this year. I

Last edited:
They gave reasons for that, COVID whether we like it or not. They don't think the same as US companies when it comes to that. Sony has more than just the US launch to worry about. Also, online orders are sky rocketing this year. I

I don't disagree.

this isn’t a surprise to anyone, is it?

they don’t make 1440p TVs. Why would a game console support a display mode that literally doesn’t exist on the display device it is most likely to be used with?

Probably more of a surprise due to that MS has supported it since their Xbox One X (and announced support pretty early with the Series X).

And, I dunno. I know its mostly a PC gaming resolution, but one way to make inroads with PC gamers is to make their console compatible with a popular monitor resolution (especially if games can hit higher refresh rates). That way its easier to sneak a Playstation as a secondary console. With that said, I'd still take PC ports of Sony's software versus requiring to buy their hardware.

Eh, I guess I can see that, but early on with ps4 and Xbox one there were comparisons of games showing something running at like 900p on one and like 720p on the other, even though both were 1080p, so the output resolution and render resolution didn’t need to be the same.

I assume that just because it’s set to 4k output doesn’t mean the render resolution will be forced to 4k, and these consoles would just lower render resolution to maintain framerates.

lowering further to specifically improve performance is a PC thing, not a console thing. If they can hit 30fps at 4k that’s probably what they’ll do. If they want higher they’ll target a lower render res but I don’t think Sony is interested in the market of people who buy a game console to connect to their 1440p monitor and run it at native res.

lowering further to specifically improve performance is a PC thing, not a console thing. If they can hit 30fps at 4k that’s probably what they’ll do. If they want higher they’ll target a lower render res but I don’t think Sony is interested in the market of people who buy a game console to connect to their 1440p monitor and run it at native res.

Yar, true enough and I'm sure Sony would've at least looked at the numbers and figured it wasn't worth investing in (1440p resolution).

Crap, I got shipping notified for Demons Souls Nov.12 delivery but I'll have no way to play the damn thing.

If you now order a ps5 you might get one sometime in 2021Q1, that's what I saw at a local retailer.

If you now order a ps5 you might get one sometime in 2021Q1, that's what I saw at a local retailer.
That's what's messed up, you can't order one. If I want a new car, i put my money down, and wait for the backlog to catch up. They aren't even giving people a chance to do that, which is insane if you ask me.

This is the latest news I can find....does not look promising unless you take vacation for a week and wear out your F5 key. :(

Don't give up hope just yet though. We're on hand to give you updates on where to buy PS5 pre-orders or launch day stock online as we're used to checking around retailers on a daily basis. So bookmark this page and drop in every now and then to see if you get lucky. Be sure to check the retailers linked below, too.

We're checking up on the situation every day right now, and while it's been a thankless task so far, we're confident (OK, with fingers and toes crossed) that more PS5 pre-orders will be available... at some point this year, at least.

That's what's messed up, you can't order one. If I want a new car, i put my money down, and wait for the backlog to catch up. They aren't even giving people a chance to do that, which is insane if you ask me.
Well, e-Bay is your savior in this case, but it will cost you.

I was in line for 12 hours at a best buy to get a Wii.

It was a big line too, a lot of people behind me didn't get one.

Console lines and heavy demand are nothing new, technology has just made the process different. There were fistfights, empty shelves, and toy store workers holding NES consoles for people going back to the mid-80's. I was personally in an all-day release line for the PS2 that turned into a near-riot. That seems to be the closest thing to what we're seeing with the PS5. Those sold out and weren't readily available for 4-5 months. eBay gouging was absolutely a thing back then, too.

Console lines and heavy demand are nothing new, technology has just made the process different. There were fistfights, empty shelves, and toy store workers holding NES consoles for people going back to the mid-80's. I was personally in an all-day release line for the PS2 that turned into a near-riot. That seems to be the closest thing to what we're seeing with the PS5. Those sold out and weren't readily available for 4-5 months. eBay gouging was absolutely a thing back then, too.
And now the average gamer has BOTS scewing them over for a chance at getting one at retail prices.

I waited outside BBY for about 30 minutes(i was at end of the line), walked in, walked out with a ps3. PS2 was same story, but Walmart. PS4 and Switch were ridiculously easy, casually went to amazon and pre-ordered, didn't think about either again till launch day.

If you want a proper comparison to 2020 PS4, i would say 1988 Super Mario Brothers 2. Took me 8 or 9 months to get my copy. The reasons behind the shortages are indeed different, but the struggle to get one feels similar.
You were lucky. They were very hard to get, because in addition to being a new console, they were by far the most economical Blu Ray player and you knew they'd get software updates for new disks without having to install new firmware. As I recall, it was also considered one of the better Blu Ray players.

Last edited:
You were lucky. They were very hard to get, because in addition to being a new console, they were by far the most economical Blu Ray player and you knew they'd get software updates for new disks without having to install new firmware. As I recall, it was also considered one of the better Blu Ray players.

It was considered the best for awhile because it had better specs and was insanely cheap compared to others. It also about killed Sony lol.

It was considered the best for awhile because it had better specs and was insanely cheap compared to others. It also about killed Sony lol.
Sony's turnaround for the PS3 fascinated me. The company started as notoriously arrogant, with beliefs that people would pay any price to own its console and that developers would bend over backward to offer support. Sony took a deserved thrashing for that, but it turned things around such that the PS3 became a success and offered some great exclusives toward the end. The company realized that it should never take its audience for granted.

Frankly, part of why Sony clobbered Microsoft in the PS4/XB1 era was that Microsoft was still a step behind in learning lessons. Microsoft was very much in that Ballmer-era "all humans are biologically pre-programmed to love our products" mindset and thought it could force Kinect and media center features on customers that didn't want them. It's much better about the Series X/S, but its delay in wising up really hurt. In that regard, the PS3 might've been the best thing to happen to Sony.

Yeah, I wonder how much preorders were actual legitimate customers and not scalpers. This gives me PTSD about communism. That was the time when people sold their places in the queue for "pre-ordering" cars. A 1-2 year old used car cost more than a new car, because for a new car you had to wait years.

My wife’s parents endured this. Every night they would remove the gas, battery, and windshield wipers. When they were allowed to visit East Germany, they had to bring Rakia, cigarettes, and other items to trade for fuel and parts along the way.

Sony's turnaround for the PS3 fascinated me. The company started as notoriously arrogant, with beliefs that people would pay any price to own its console and that developers would bend over backward to offer support. Sony took a deserved thrashing for that, but it turned things around such that the PS3 became a success and offered some great exclusives toward the end. The company realized that it should never take its audience for granted.

Frankly, part of why Sony clobbered Microsoft in the PS4/XB1 era was that Microsoft was still a step behind in learning lessons. Microsoft was very much in that Ballmer-era "all humans are biologically pre-programmed to love our products" mindset and thought it could force Kinect and media center features on customers that didn't want them. It's much better about the Series X/S, but its delay in wising up really hurt. In that regard, the PS3 might've been the best thing to happen to Sony.

Yeah it was a pretty miraculous effort. They basically did a relaunch with a new font, slime console, ad campaign, price drop, hard drive increase and spearheaded that with Uncharted 2 which was a blockbuster. They also put a ton of resources into WWS to get weird one off titles like Puppeteer towards the end of its life cycle.

Sonys dedication to first party titles and having a broad variety is what lead me to ultimately get the PS4. The hardware wars were bad here back then but it was mainly hardware focused. Microsoft had 3 titles and Kinect. Thank god they got away from that.

Back