Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

This is a system only an enthusiasts whose cutting corners could build and yet its still over 500 and using dubious key seller for OS. Would anyone be happy using this at 4k res?

Also what people are missing is this is NOT about what you can build for an equal price, NOT about how much money people have, etc. It is all about what people are willing to pay for a console. That is where the companies are worried about a price at $500 or above. Doesn't matter if people could afford it, or if it is worth it, what matters is that history shows that people probably won't want to pay. They need to price it at a point that draws people in. If not, doesn't matter how amazing the console is, if people don't buy it, companies won't make games for it and they won't make money. Never mind the competition with each other, they also compete with their older consoles. If everyone just keeps their current gen, well that's what the games will be made for. Companies go where the money is.

Challenge detected! Here is your Windows 10 Pro license key for $3.50. This unit will cost you $540. Assembly is required.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sony Optiarc 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: HEC HX210 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $536.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-19 14:48 EST-0500
And that system would be nowhere close to the graphics on a PS5.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

On top of the labor of having to build it. Time is worth something too.

He also forgot to add in gamecontrollers or mouse/kb into the price. As a ps5 will come with one.

As well as that motherboard does not have wireless, that is going to need to be added as well.

Oh gee, you are comparing something that is already old, rare, no longer produced, or something that is just straight up disgustingly expensive with shoes ... are you buying PS4 games hoping they appreciate in value? Got that 2020 Toyota Corolla just waiting for the day "classic" gets slapped on it? how about a Casio watch? something a little less up front investment, but boy howdy it'll sure appreciate in value!

I simply do not get how a pair of sneakers became something that was an "investment", it's not that I don't like them, I wear them all the time. No need to fucking coming down on me so much and sound like such a jerk.
How is my Rolex Daytona already old and dated? I bought it like 8 weeks ago. Don't tell my watch guy. It's already worth about 60% more than I paid for it because of rarity.

Sneakers start out as rare and expensive, don't blame me because you used a shitty example of sneakers.

Your sneakers are a 2020 Corolla, the dude walking down the street with limited edition new J's already has his GTR on his feet in his opinion. They're still new and produced, but they're rare.

Also some Casio's depending on the model are valuable now.

Your argument was fucking retarded deal with it, or say less retarded shit. Stick to your wheelhouse cause you outta your element retarded Donnie.

On top of the labor of having to build it. Time is worth something too.

He also forgot to add in gamecontrollers or mouse/kb into the price. As a ps5 will come with one.

As well as that motherboard does not have wireless, that is going to need to be added as well.
Plus it does not come with controllers And a sketchy os.
tack another 200 (for legal os and controller) + $200 labor (if you had me build it) and you still wouldn’t have a computer that anyone would want and It would not play games as well as the console.

tack another 200 (for legal os and controller) + $200 labor (if you had me build it) and you still wouldn’t have a computer that anyone would want and It would not play games as well as the console.

Don't forget to add the most obvious omission, a bluray player/drive.

Challenge detected! Here is your Windows 10 Pro license key for $3.50. This unit will cost you $540. Assembly is required.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: OLOy 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sony Optiarc 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: HEC HX210 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $536.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-19 14:48 EST-0500

Oh great, here we go again. :confused::rolleyes:

Now, if you bought used parts, it would be better but, still not the equivalent of what will be in the new generation consoles.

To be honest, I love PC gaming and the freedom / open nature of building your own machine, but I feel like the heyday of PC gaming has past.

I mean, there are games on PS4 that look great and just as good as anything on PC (like Until Dawn or Detroit before it came to PC). Sure, at 30fps or not full resolution, but it's playable.

Most of the games I play on PC now are not the big multi-platform blockbusters but weird indie games that never make it to console.

So I will probably always have a PC, especially for development, but it's just not what it used to be.

And with the cost of GPUs now, it doesn't make sense financially unless you just like the building/modding/tinkering part. That's the fun part for me. If I wanted to play a game a console is just less hassle.

How is my Rolex Daytona already old and dated?
I guess the word 'or' has too many syllables for you to comprehend... but whatever man, you obviously couldn't grasp what I was saying in my original post, so lets just call it a wash and let it go.

I guess the word 'or' has too many syllables for you to comprehend... but whatever man, you obviously couldn't grasp what I was saying in my original post, so lets just call it a wash and let it go.
Your whole point of sneakers missed that all sneakers that you spoke of were limited edition. Maybe bump on that and come back.

your point didn’t make sense from the get because the sneakers that you compared draw value from limited availability.

I laugh at the future where you google supreme clothing. Best of luck. Maybe stick to whatever it is you do because you don’t seem to understand this subject.

PS5 will be faster than an RX580 unfortunately. So they still failed.
Keep in mind two things. One, we don't know the final price of the PS5. Two, AMD, Nvidia, and Intel will release new GPU's sometime this year. Also this wasn't meant to show that I can build the equivalent of a PS5, but that an adequate PC can be built today for $500. If I wanted to build the equivalent of a PS5 today then I'd need at least $700.

Many people I know and myself have bought these keys and nothing is wrong. Also a keyboard and mouse can be had for cheap, like this one I found with RGB lighting for $30. It was the first thing I found off Amazon. You don't need a gamepad on PC unless you plan to run emulators and even then it's not required. Also I'm pretty sure this PC would destroy a PS4 and Xbox One. If we want to talk about the PS5 and Xbox Series X then we'll need to talk next year when the consoles are released as PC hardware will have also changed by then.

Don't forget to add the most obvious omission, a bluray player/drive.
Yes because a PC today obviously needs a Blu-Ray drive for... movies?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The reason why the PS5 and new Xbox will appear to be more powerful than an equivalent PC with similar specs (since we can do that easier now than before) is because developers will be able to work with the bare metal of the hardware. Since they wont have to accommodate for multiple configurations and running through an API like a PC does. Granted, the PS4 does have an API to use if the developer wants, but they can optimize that so much more than a common PC due to the hardware being exactly the same they can bypass a lot of the API stuff and go directly to the bare metal.

The reason why the PS5 and new Xbox will appear to be more powerful than an equivalent PC with similar specs (since we can do that easier now than before) is because developers will be able to work with the bare metal of the hardware. Since they wont have to accommodate for multiple configurations and running through an API like a PC does. Granted, the PS4 does have an API to use if the developer wants, but they can optimize that so much more than a common PC due to the hardware being exactly the same they can bypass a lot of the API stuff and go directly to the bare metal.
This is generally a myth nowadays, especially since consoles also now have multiple configurations like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Also we have Vulkan and DX12 now, so that's much closer to the bare metal. The reality is when the PS4 and Xbox One were released they were around a R7 260X, which is weaker than the specs of the consoles. How does a R7 260X handle a game like Red Dead Redemption 2? This guy gets 30-40 fps at medium settings at 720P. If consoles have anything over PC it's the lack of Denuvo since that's proven to slow down games performance on PC, especially loading time.

This is generally a myth nowadays, especially since consoles also now have multiple configurations like the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Also we have Vulkan and DX12 now, so that's much closer to the bare metal. The reality is when the PS4 and Xbox One were released they were around a R7 260X, which is weaker than the specs of the consoles. How does a R7 260X handle a game like Red Dead Redemption 2? This guy gets 30-40 fps at medium settings at 720P. If consoles have anything over PC it's the lack of Denuvo since that's proven to slow down games performance on PC, especially loading time.

Ok so they have 4 hardware configurations now, instead of two....

Its no myth, having a fixed set of hardware presents numerous advantages, especially when coupled with custom APIs. Vulkan is great. But it would always lose relative to fixed hardware with a custom API.

Also, 260x didn't exist when PS4 and Xbone launched. The PS4 is based off Pitcairn (HD78** series) and the Xbone was based on Cape Verde (HD77** series) both GCN 1.0.

260x is Bonaire, GCN 2.0 and came out well after.

I posted specifics awhile back, which I may not totally remember.....But the PS4 GPU is something like the 7970 compute architecture with a shader count between the 7850 and 7870. And core clocks a bit under 7850. Overall performance on paper being theoretically the same as 7850 (Pitcairn is very sensitive to clocks. While the core clock may not seem like a large difference, it actually kind of is. However, the extra shaders equal out overall performance). Albeit with stronger capability in compute. GDDR5 for the RAM pool. And an extra data bus which allowed the ram to be used independently by system and GPU and with less wait states and redundancy.

Xbone has shaders between a 7770 and a 7790. Quite a bit less core clock than 7770. And it uses 32Mb of eSRAM and then DDR3 system ram, for the remaining pool. It was never clear if Xbone had the extra data bus or not. I think probably not. Its kind of amazing that Xbone games look as good as they do.

Last edited:
Ok so they have 4 hardware configurations now, instead of two....
And soon 6 because Sony and Microsoft aren't going to dump their older consoles just yet. It could be 8 if there's a cheaper Xbox and a PS5 Pro.
Its no myth, having a fixed set of hardware presents numerous advantages, especially when coupled with custom APIs. Vulkan is great. But it would always lose relative to fixed hardware with a custom API.
You have any proof of that? I just showed you Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a R7 260X which is weaker than the GPU's found in the PS4 and XB1.
Also, 260x didn't exist when PS4 and Xbone launched. The PS4 is based off Pitcairn (HD78** series) and the Xbone was based on Cape Verde (HD77** series) both GCN 1.0.

260x is Bonaire, GCN 2.0 and came out well after.
The R7 260X was released in September 25, 2013. Which doesn't matter because if you know your AMD GPU's you know that it was based on the Radeon HD 7790 which was released March 22, 2013. Both released before the PS4 and Xb1. It's GCN 1.1, and not 2.0.
I posted specifics awhile back, which I may not totally remember.....But the PS4 GPU is something like the 7970 compute architecture with a shader count between the 7850 and 7870. And core clocks a bit under 7850. Overall performance on paper being theoretically the same as 7850 (Pitcairn is very sensitive to clocks. While the core clock may not seem like a large difference, it actually kind of is. However, the extra shaders equal out overall performance). Albeit with stronger capability in compute. GDDR5 for the RAM pool. And an extra data bus which allowed the ram to be used independently by system and GPU and with less wait states and redundancy.

Xbone has shaders between a 7770 and a 7790. Quite a bit less core clock than 7770. And it uses 32Mb of eSRAM and then DDR3 system ram, for the remaining pool. It was never clear if Xbone had the extra data bus or not. I think probably not. Its kind of amazing that Xbone games look as good as they do.
Either way the consoles should be theoretically faster than a PC equipped with a R7 260X but it isn't. Not that PC ports aren't done shit sometimes, which at that point you could say that consoles do get optimizations. That one Batman game comes to mind. But there is no magic performance boost to be found on consoles. This was more of a thing on the PS2 and PS3, since the hardware in those consoles were so convoluted that developers had a hard time working with the hardware to begin with. Over time the tools got better and more optimizations can be done, but this meant that games early on were unable to take full advantage of the hardware. Since consoles are now using x86 hardware, this is no longer a problem.

The PS5 comes with one. :rolleyes:
The cost savings of not needing one on PC is passed onto consumers. :rolleyes:

what purpose does that have in a computer?

do you still buy blurays?

I personally do, also get them as gifts. Still even have a decent collection of dvds as well.

The cost savings of not needing one on PC is passed onto consumers. :rolleyes:

Actually now I wonder how the xbox one S is selling with no physical disc drive. I remember the internet rage about it, not that that has a whole lot of value.

When you have a great sound system/home theater, a bluray is always going to be superior to streamed content.

Nothing ruins a movie experience more than a stream hiccup and pixelation. PC upstairs decides to steam update at the wrong time lol.

I think people will be willing to pay $500 for upcoming PS5 and Xbox with the performance increase and graphic quality. Throw a new game in or two to sweeten the deal. Or give out a year free pass, or something. Just my 2 cents, no expert opinion. 😬

Hard to tell, but based on GPU TFLOPs the high end xbox is equal to an rx580 no?
Yes the Xbox One X has a GPU equivalent to that of a RX 580, but the CPU is so weak that a i5 2500K from 2011 would still destroy it in gaming performance. A Ryzen 2600 would turn it into a paste. Not to forget the SDD compared to the HDD in the Xbox One X.

When you have a great sound system/home theater, a bluray is always going to be superior to streamed content.
If you have a great sound system then the cost of hardware isn't going to be much of a concern. Also, Blu-Ray is legacy bullshit technology that failed a long time ago because it was prohibitively expensive. You know what else is better than streamed content? Torrents, which goes to show that piracy today still offers more than legitimacy. The only reason consoles have them is because it's cheaper than putting the games onto a USB thumb drive, which is what they should be doing.

Actually now I wonder how the xbox one S is selling with no physical disc drive. I remember the internet rage about it, not that that has a whole lot of value.
That's because digital ownership is still a grey area. Instead of Microsoft migrating over to a USB Thumb drive, they just omitted the idea of physical media ownership entirely. Again, a lot of people don't have money to burn so while you'd save money on a Xbox One S without a blu-ray drive, you're now dependent on buying games online at a more likely higher cost. You can't buy used games.

Yes the Xbox One X has a GPU equivalent to that of a RX 580, but the CPU is so weak that a i5 2500K from 2011 would still destroy it in gaming performance. A Ryzen 2600 would turn it into a paste. Not to forget the SDD as well compared to the HDD in the Xbox One X.

If you have a great sound system then the cost of hardware isn't going to be much of a concern. Also, Blu-Ray is legacy bullshit technology that failed a long time ago because it was prohibitively expensive. You know what else is better than streamed content? Torrents, which goes to show that piracy today still offers more than legitimacy. The only reason consoles have them is because it's cheaper than putting the games onto a USB thumb drive, which is what they should be doing.

That's because digital ownership is still a grey area. Instead of Microsoft migrating over to a USB Thumb drive, they just omitted the idea of physical media ownership entirely. Again, a lot of people don't have money to burn so while you'd save money on a Xbox One S without a blu-ray drive, you're now dependent on buying games online at a more likely higher cost. You can't buy used games.

I like james, but that video is garbage. I watched it the other day and had to seriously check the date, it seemed like a 10 year old video. Many of his legitimate complains are irrelevant.

She he doesn't even understand how streaming works, "better integration to search across streaming services"... dude every media player has had this for 5 years now. WTF is he even talking about.

I like james, but that video is garbage. I watched it the other day and had to seriously check the date, it seemed like a 10 year old video. Many of his legitimate complains are irrelevant.
No really, as these complaints are the reason I gave up on DVD and never touched Blu-Ray. I have a HTPC that runs Jellyfin all day because I don't have time for bullshit. For me it was the commercials just before you start the movie, which still continues today on Blu-Ray. Also the idea of putting something into my PC to watch feels like I'm back in the 90's. Blu-Ray does offer better image quality over streaming but it's prohibitively expensive, and a worse experience overall.
Pretty sure James is a "he".
doesn't even understand how streaming works, "better integration to search across streaming services"... dude every media player has had this for 5 years now. WTF is he even talking about.
I think he means he wants a search engine that intergrates with all the streaming services he subscribes to so he can quickly find the movie or show he wants. Pretty much like Plex or Jellyfin, except they don't work with Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and etc.

I think he means he wants a search engine that intergrates with all the streaming services he subscribes to so he can quickly find the movie or show he wants. Pretty much like Plex or Jellyfin, except they don't work with Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and etc.

Apple tv, shield tv, or heck even a 29 dollar firestick will do this... all from your voice.

No really, as these complaints are the reason I gave up on DVD and never touched Blu-Ray. I have a HTPC that runs Jellyfin all day because I don't have time for bullshit. For me it was the commercials just before you start the movie, which still continues today on Blu-Ray. Also the idea of putting something into my PC to watch feels like I'm back in the 90's. Blu-Ray does offer better image quality over streaming but it's prohibitively expensive, and a worse experience overall.

Pretty sure James is a "he".

BD's problems have mostly been solved over the years. BD now is nowhere near launch BD. Hell, I threw in Joker's UHD BD over the weekend and there were no ads, just the typical warning thing and right to the main menu. Even if BD now was as annoying as the early days I'd still prefer it over streaming, I couldn't disagree more on it being a "worse experience overall". Especially since I'm someone that actually likes special features, which you never get on streaming.

Roku's interface is great for finding stuff. Not sure if it works with Disney+ yet, but on my TV I can search for something and it will pull from most available streaming services. As Verge said, Apple TV and others do that as well. It's been a thing for years.

Apple tv, shield tv, or heck even a 29 dollar firestick will do this... all from your voice.
Pretty clear he's not into technology. JustWatch does this as well. The biggest nail in Blu-Ray is the need to update your encryption key, which I agree is really stupid. It isn't physical media if you need to go onto the internet.

I personally do, also get them as gifts. Still even have a decent collection of dvds as well.

Nothing ruins a movie experience more than a stream hiccup and pixelation. PC upstairs decides to steam update at the wrong time lol.

so make or break is a bluray drive ok here

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-3-0-Slim...243922?hash=item1f05bcc6d2:g:2pIAAOSwy4Jdzi~f

16 dollars.

And soon 6 because Sony and Microsoft aren't going to dump their older consoles just yet. It could be 8 if there's a cheaper Xbox and a PS5 Pro.

You have any proof of that? I just showed you Red Dead Redemption 2 running on a R7 260X which is weaker than the GPU's found in the PS4 and XB1.

The R7 260X was released in September 25, 2013. Which doesn't matter because if you know your AMD GPU's you know that it was based on the Radeon HD 7790 which was released March 22, 2013. Both released before the PS4 and Xb1. It's GCN 1.1, and not 2.0.

Either way the consoles should be theoretically faster than a PC equipped with a R7 260X but it isn't. Not that PC ports aren't done shit sometimes, which at that point you could say that consoles do get optimizations. That one Batman game comes to mind. But there is no magic performance boost to be found on consoles. :rolleyes:
A. Indeed, I got mixed up on the PS4 release date. 260x came out a little bit before
B. 260x is GCN 2.0. Bonaire.
C. I see now I wasn't very clear. But I said that Vulkan PC would lose "relative" to a console custom API. Meaning, if hardware were equal. In the case of RDR2, we are also talking about a multi-platform game. Which very well may not have much PS4 specific customization. Sometimes multi-plat games get some of that extra specific TLC in development, sometimes they don't.
D. By all accounts, the big issue with PS4 performance is CPU. Games shouldn't necessarily perform relatively better on PS4 (compared to PC) because of this. GPU performance will be relatively better. But CPU is a big issue in PS4. If the PS4 had a CPU architecture more equivalent to the stuff we can get in even a budget PC, games would perform a lot better. And performance comparisons would be easier to dissect.
E. 260x performance on paper, is actually a little higher than the PS4 GPU. Also, it should have probably often have more relative real world performance despite less shader units, because it has twice the amount of ROPs. And there are also situations where the much higher core speed/less shading units is actually going to beat much less core speed/more shading units (in general, but also considering that those early GCN cards are very sensitive to clock increases). There could also be some slight efficiency gains in the shader units, from GCN 1.0 to 2.0.
F. I have never seen any quotes supporting this, but I bet that much of the custom API access helps developers balance and alleviate performance issues from lower core clocks and lower ROPs-----in first party games and/or games where a lot of specific work is done.

Last edited:

Oh good, external. The point is the price comparison is a farce because it costs more than the $500 and is missing features that would be included. And buying non-name crap off ebay is not an equivalent to sourcing lg or sony for the drive.

And I through in controller, wifi, bluetooth as well. Yes a pc that could surpass it in all areas could be done, but not at retail prices. You need to cut out the middle man and source them which you cant do when you are buying 1 and not MOQ's of 100-500k

Blu-Ray does offer better image quality over streaming but it's prohibitively expensive, and a worse experience overall.
Blu-ray players were expensive-----at first. Blu-rays have actually always been affordable. I was really into buying Blu-rays for the first few years and it was rarely an issue to get them for the same price as DVD or maybe slightly more. Players have been very affordable for a decade. And PC drives have been affordable for not much less time (although 4K blu-ray drives probably aren't exactly cheap). and if you check prices, Blu-rays are usually cheaper than buying on streaming. Same with 4K blu-ray Vs. buying 4K streaming. And 4K blu-rays basically always also come with a 1080p blu-ray disc, as well. So there is some big value there.

Last edited:
Blu-ray players were expensive-----at first. Blu-rays have actually always been affordable. I was really into buying Blu-rays for the first few years and it was rarely an issue to get them for the same price as DVD or maybe slightly more. Players have been very affordable for a decade. And PC drives have been affordable for not much less time. and if you check prices, Blu-rays are usually cheaper than buying on streaming. Same with 4K blu-ray Vs. buying 4K streaming. And 4K blu-rays basically always also come with a 1080p blu-ray disc, as well. So there is some big value there.

I bought a high end refurbished one a few years ago for cheap, put a BR disk in and play. Full1080P movie, what's not to like?

Oh good, external. The point is the price comparison is a farce because it costs more than the $500 and is missing features that would be included. And buying non-name crap off ebay is not an equivalent to sourcing lg or sony for the drive.

And I through in controller, wifi, bluetooth as well. Yes a pc that could surpass it in all areas could be done, but not at retail prices. You need to cut out the middle man and source them which you cant do when you are buying 1 and not MOQ's of 100-500k
BluRay drives have one use in a PC, to fulfill a bullet point when prattling on about features.

So because of that one little use they remain high in price.

You are the minority when it comes to watching BluRay movies on a PC.

I bought a high end refurbished one a few years ago for cheap, put a BR disk in and play. Full1080P movie, what's not to like?

I got a broken PS3 that needed a power supply.

Perfect BluRay player that had never had one on it.

I got a broken PS3 that needed a power supply.

Perfect BluRay player that had never had one on it.

So we come full circle. The best device in an entertainment setup is a playstation. Bluray player, video streaming and gaming all in one at an affordable price. Seems like pc can't really compete in this role affordably

Nope it's because free is better than paying
Pure coincidence that it was a PS3
So we come full circle. The best device in an entertainment setup is a playstation. Bluray player, video streaming and gaming all in one at an affordable price. Seems like pc can't really compete in this role affordably

Back