Sony Is Struggling With PlayStation 5 Price Due to Costly Parts

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
i'm drunk, so mods might delete, but this type of shit is so fucking lame. There is 100% bots hammering every pre-order site buying up all the stock to scalp. I'm over it. This shit is infuriating. The amount of loyalty i've shown to Sony over the last 25 years is insane, and i can't even get that gratification of opening a ps5 on launch day. What kind of loyalty is this. I've spent over 20k just on projectors for my theater room, not to mention every sony console, (even that turd playstation tv) televisions, receivers, speakers. Hell i even have a sony effin credit card. No ps5 though.

Lame
What's lame is crying over not being able to purchase something on release day.

Reactions: T4rd
like this

Meeho

Supreme [H]ardness
The funny thing is that it's not really PlayStation versus Xbox, it's people trying to argue that a $2,000 gaming PC which needs upgrades every 2-3 years (not to mention considerably more software hassles) is somehow a better value for everyday gamers than a $500 console that might never need to be touched for 5-7 years.

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
Will they be after they have a bunch of people that can't purchase disc games?

For the same reason Nintendo Game Store has to mostly match Steam Sales. With so many Steam ports driving the platform, they have to keep pace (while offering smaller discounts on first-party games).

PS Store tends to follow those same sales periods, because the last thing you want to do is look like you only care about maxing your profits; the purpose of an online community+store like Steam is to provide you with the occasional unexpected bit of wonder, NOT just managing your AAA game library

If you can't begin to compete with Steam, then folks will forget you-even exist (see Windows Store). PS Store has the advantage of being a closed platform, but they still have to PRETEND to play the Steam Game if the want folks to buy into this long-term,

People who buy the system later in life will almost certainly get a better deal from going Discless (launch games will be cheap by then), but I agree that Early Adopters will have to run the numbers to decide.

Marees

Gawd
at least in this early batch of pre-orders, it absolutely seems like Sony has made way, way more of the higher priced disc stock available, meaning that those lucky enough to snag a pre-order are often doing so for an extra $100, even if they have no interest in the disc one.

https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/1306626379526664195

While I don’t believe that’s the true ratio of disc to digital Sony has made available, it is not anywhere close to 50/50, and I would not be surprised if it was in fact something like 10:1. I’ve seen digital models sellout before the link was even fully live for a page at numerous storefronts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-to-sell-out-nightmarishly-fast/#7a068df216a5

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Same thing every time a new generation of hardware is released, whether console or PC component. I gave up on launch days long ago because you cannot beat the Chinese bots and scummy resellers. Even preorder windows are a fucking joke now since they are bought out instantly because there are morons who will pay for the preorder slot.
My opinion to add to this is: there isn't really any launch titles that I want to play anyway. The closest/biggest one is CP2077, but I can choose to play that basically on any platform I want (although I don't have a card that supports RTX handly - and it's likely that RDNA is going to have the same sold out problems as both 3080 and PS5).

Anyway, that aside, buying a launch console is just buying into a hype train. The PS5 library (or XBSX for that matter) won't really have a ton of titles worth having until the end of 2021 anyway. Sure Ratchet and Clank looks cool. People <3 Demon Soul's remake. But absolute "must plays"? Even if I cared about playing this titles ASAP, buying this console 6 months from now after all this hoopla is over makes way more sense rather than going crazy over it. Let other people fight for these resources. I'll just walk in the store and buy something off the shelf or order it from Amazon like a normal person when it comes time.

Until then, I have plenty of other games I haven't played that I can work on. And the only game again that I care to play with any immediacy that's coming out soon is CP2077. So, I don't have much to worry about.

EDIT: People have no patience. If you have no patience, especially for launch items, at this point you're going to pay for it. The chances you're going to beat a scalper is slim. It's better to just think that every launch device "actually comes out" 3 months later. Otherwise, enjoy playing 2x-3x the price for 3-6 months worth of "extra" enjoyment.

deruberhanyok

[H]ard|Gawd
Preorders worked fine when you had to walk into a shop and out down cash to do it. Now that it’s all online and no cost up front at a lot of places it’s just scalper/bot territory.

nice way to double your money though.

better to just wait it out. It’s not like Sony is only going to make one batch of systems and that’s it.

bizzmeister

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven’t had a PlayStation since I bought the PS4 Pro on launch day ( also got the Xbox 1 X on launch day )

but I always preferred the Xbox for the controller.
Preorders worked fine when you had to walk into a shop and out down cash to do it. Now that it’s all online and no cost up front at a lot of places it’s just scalper/bot territory.

nice way to double your money though.

better to just wait it out. It’s not like Sony is only going to make one batch of systems and that’s it.

Yes that’s true, there will be millions more PS5’s to buy.

problem is, gamers want it NOW. Like yesterday. Being the nerd tech junkie I am, I have absolutely no need for it with my 2 setups now but I still secured a pre-order just because I want one.
I’m just curious how the expanded m2 is going to work. They haven’t talked about it at all. Snap in a new one and your good?

Aurelius

2[H]4U

At least Sony was candid about it. I really wish the company had been firm about pre-order timing like Microsoft was, when it said "it's on this day at this time." Saying "hey, orders open as soon as tomorrow!" and not making things patently clear to retailers? That's a surefire recipe for a mess. Sony should be thankful the PS5 itself looks like a good machine and will have lots of demand regardless.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this

Derangel

Fully [H]
At least Sony was candid about it. I really wish the company had been firm about pre-order timing like Microsoft was, when it said "it's on this day at this time." Saying "hey, orders open as soon as tomorrow!" and not making things patently clear to retailers? That's a surefire recipe for a mess. Sony should be thankful the PS5 itself looks like a good machine and will have lots of demand regardless.

They probably were firm and clear. Reports are that Walmart decided to jump the gun and put up pre-orders hours early. At that point, Sony just let everyone else go as soon as they were ready.

like this

Aurelius

2[H]4U
They probably were firm and clear. Reports are that Walmart decided to jump the gun and put up pre-orders hours early. At that point, Sony just let everyone else go as soon as they were ready.

Quite possible -- it just feels like it was a less coordinated effort.

like this

Marees

Gawd
at least in this early batch of pre-orders, it absolutely seems like Sony has made way, way more of the higher priced disc stock available, meaning that those lucky enough to snag a pre-order are often doing so for an extra $100, even if they have no interest in the disc one.

https://twitter.com/CheapyD/status/1306626379526664195

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-to-sell-out-nightmarishly-fast/#7a068df216a5

Eurogamer has talked to a few retail sources in the UK, and they claim their allotments for digital were 25% versus 75% for disc models. Another source said it was 20% to 80% instead.

This tracks with a similar investigation Ars Technica did over the weekend with GameStops in the US, where availability ranged from 33% digital to just 13% digital, with an average of 25% digital, 75% disc PS5s overall.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...ailers-confirm/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Now that I have both the xbox X and ps5 pre-orders I need to decide which one im keeping lol, I may cancel/sell my ps5 and wait a bit till I can get the cheap digital only version down the road. Till then I still haven't played any of the ps4 exclusives outside of 10 hours into spiderman so i can continue using that for now. All the PS games seem great but I'm more of an FPS fan and I'm honestly super excited for halo when it does launch lol

Sickb0y

[H]ard|Gawd
Amazon must have lasted about a minute before they sold out :eek:

Last edited:

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
Amazon must had last about a minute before they sold out :eek:
ya they all sold out fast from every retailer, the biggest issue as usual was retailer websites not being designed to handle that flood of traffic lol. I had every Canadian retailer's website open, signed in and ready to go and the only one that worked when pre-orders went live was Walmart.