Sony is killing me (Only 2 HDMI 2.1 on the A95L)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Sony is just killing me here. The A95L QD-OLED will clearly be one of the best , if not the best, TV of 2023. However, STILL, only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports.

Can I get around this with some kind of a HDMI 2.1 switcher so I can make one HDMI 2.1 input into like 4? I know I'm going to have more than 2 devices that need the bandwidth eventually. I really want this 77 incher for my family room this year, but the port thing is a problem. Meh.

yup, you can use a switcher or a receiver.
ps: this is normal, its usually 2x2.1 and 2x2.0

What really sucks is one of them is the ARC port as well, so you basically only have one 2.1 port if you use ARC for audio. But yes, either buy an HDMI switch or get a receiver that has the inputs you need.
Brilliant idea to use second HDMI 2.1 port for ARC
eARC definitely could not be passed through any other port like HDMI 2.0. Too little bandwidth for sending audio 🤪

Anyone knows if MediaTek Pentonic 1000 SoC in A95L capable of outputting 4K 144Hz Dolby Vision HDR Gaming?
2023's 55" QD-OLED 2.0 panel from SD is 4K 144Hz, perhaps this new SoC can get the most out of it.

Maybe you guys could help me understand. If you have that one 2.1 port, which would, in my case be used for the ps5. Could I use let's say a zidoo on one of the 2.0 ports and have it passthrough dolby vision to the tv and dolby atmos to the soundbar via eArc? Or does the 2.0 HDMI port not allow Dolby Atmos passthrough.

I appreciate all the help, in advance. It just seems the more I read the more confused I get about these ports and uses for them.

Sony is just killing me here. The A95L QD-OLED will clearly be one of the best , if not the best, TV of 2023. However, STILL, only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports.

Can I get around this with some kind of a HDMI 2.1 switcher so I can make one HDMI 2.1 input into like 4? I know I'm going to have more than 2 devices that need the bandwidth eventually. I really want this 77 incher for my family room this year, but the port thing is a problem. Meh.
Here you go

https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/vs3003

Maybe you guys could help me understand. If you have that one 2.1 port, which would, in my case be used for the ps5. Could I use let's say a zidoo on one of the 2.0 ports and have it passthrough dolby vision to the tv and dolby atmos to the soundbar via eArc? Or does the 2.0 HDMI port not allow Dolby Atmos passthrough.

I appreciate all the help, in advance. It just seems the more I read the more confused I get about these ports and uses for them.

Dolby Vision works on all the ports of my A80J, I don't see why the A95L would be any different. Atmos passthrough works to my Sonos Arc as well. PS5 is in port 4 and the Arc is in port 3. I use the latest Apple TV 4k in port 2 for all my streaming though and not a zidoo but looking on their site, they're only HDMI 2.0 anyway.

Dolby Vision works on all the ports of my A80J, I don't see why the A95L would be any different. Atmos passthrough works to my Sonos Arc as well. PS5 is in port 4 and the Arc is in port 3. I use the latest Apple TV 4k in port 2 for all my streaming though and not a zidoo but looking on their site, they're only HDMI 2.0 anyway.
Thank you so much for breaking that down for me. For the last few months, all I have been doing is reading and trying to understand everything, and things started to meld together. So, as yourself, ps5 in port 4 eARC to soundbar or receiver, then zidoo or appletv4k on HDMI 1 or Hdmi 2; and with that I'll have no problem with Dolby Vision and Atmos going to the soundbar, perfect.

Again thanks. Now all that's left is for it to come out and look at the reviews.

Thank you so much for breaking that down for me. For the last few months, all I have been doing is reading and trying to understand everything, and things started to meld together. So, as yourself, ps5 in port 4 eARC to soundbar or receiver, then zidoo or appletv4k on HDMI 1 or Hdmi 2; and with that I'll have no problem with Dolby Vision and Atmos going to the soundbar, perfect.

Again thanks. Now all that's left is for it to come out and look at the reviews.

Yeah, avsforum has a huge about the A80J but there are specific settings for the HDMI modes to get things working as expected.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...cussion-thread.3208007/page-129#post-61255975

I let the TV and PS5 negotiate their own settings and that seems to have worked but you can manually set them as well if the TV doesn't do it automatically.

Yeah, avsforum has a huge about the A80J but there are specific settings for the HDMI modes to get things working as expected.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/20...cussion-thread.3208007/page-129#post-61255975

I let the TV and PS5 negotiate their own settings and that seems to have worked but you can manually set them as well if the TV doesn't do it automatically.
Yeah I've been following AVS Forums particularly the S95C, G3 and A95L threads. So much information I think it can be overwhelming for an ole timer like me that only had a 13" black and white tv. LOL

Brilliant idea to use second HDMI 2.1 port for ARC
eARC definitely could not be passed through any other port like HDMI 2.0. Too little bandwidth for sending audio 🤪
It's because that's how you'd want it for a receiver setup, which is usually where you'd use ARC: TV has one cable going back to receiver, receiver has everything else hooked to it. In that case it would be desirable to have it be both HDMI 2.1 and eARC on that port.

Not much better on the receiver front either, plenty of 2022 models are still nickel and diming us with limited 40gbps hdmi ports...

A95K, S95B, G2, C2 all featured Full 2.1 48Gbps though.
I think he's commenting that receivers are also doing the thing some TVs are doing and having less speed on their ports. My TX-RZ50 is like that. Ports 1-3 are FRL5 which means 40gbps/sec. Ports 4-6 are only FRL3 which means 24gbps. The front panel port isn't HDMI 2.1 and only does 9gbps TDMS. They did it to save money, of course, since higher speed switching and processing does cost more.

This TV seems to be intended to use with a receiver.

Not a smart move given how much popularity soundbars and other stereo equipment gained.

Not a smart move given how much popularity soundbars and other stereo equipment gained.
nope, it will work with either.
soundbars also use earc and have limited ports.

I think it is more that it is enough for most people. While there are plenty of us on [H] complaining how many HDMI ports does a normal user really need, particularly one that isn't willing to buy a receiver or HDMI switch? Plenty of people need just one, or even none. My parents use 1 port: For their cable box. All their media is either from cable, or Netflix and Netflix is a smart TV app. My sister uses none, she just uses the TV's streaming feature. My friend uses 2, one for his Roku, one for his PS5.

Your average "the speakers in the TV are good enough for me" person just doesn't need a lot of HDMI inputs. Even many people who buy receivers don't. I'm kinda an oddball using 6: Desktop, Laptop, Xbox, Blu-ray, Roku, and Switch. Realistically I could easily eliminate most of those, we basically never use the Xbox since the computer is better for gaming, the laptop hardly gets used, it was for streaming music but the receiver itself does that well and while I do use the Blu-ray occasionally, it is real occasional.

That's also why having things not all be high speed ports doesn't matter. Even people like me don't have a use for them. The Switch, Roku, and Blu-ray player only support HDMI 2.0b TDMS and they have no need for anything else. The switch doesn't do 4k, much less 4k60, the Blu-ray and Roku do though they don't need to they could work fine at 4k30, and most things play at 4k24, and they are 4:2:2 on the output which is fine since all their material is 4:2:0, there no need for 4:4:4 so 18gbps HDMI 2.0b is fine for 4k60 10-bit 4:2:2.

So realistically it's 3 FRL5 ports are plenty. The PC uses it, of course, that is what I bought the receiver for. The Xbox doesn't as it is older (Xbox One X not Series X) but would if I replaced it, and then if I were going hard I could dump the laptop and get a PS5 which would, but that's all I can realistically come up with and that fits in the 3 ports. The ports are fast enough for that too, really, the PS5 is FRL4 (32gbps) and the Xox Series X is FRL5 (40gbps) so the FRL5 ports are fine for them. The only thing technically being limited is the PC, it can do FRL6... but has no need to. That could do 12-bit 4k120 4:4:4 but there's no reason to do 12-bit, the TV is 10-bit. As a practical matter the FRL5 limit just makes cabling easier (I had some issues with my 25m fiber optic cable straight in to the TV).

Thus their "3 FRL5, 3 FRL3" design is actually totally fine when you really get down to it, even for a fairly high end user. I can see why they do shit like that to save money.

I'm leaning towards upgrading my home theater TV from my older LG C7 OLED to the Sony A95L QD-OLED...the only thing holding me back is it has some issues with Dolby Vision tracking in dark scenes...I'm hoping a firmware update can fix this

*I won't be using it with my PC as I have a dedicated PC monitor

yup, you can use a switcher or a receiver.
ps: this is normal, its usually 2x2.1 and 2x2.0
All 4 of the HDMI inputs on LG's and Samsung's OLED TVs are 2.1 with full bandwidth. It seems that Sony is the only manufacturer in the high end TV market that is limiting the number of 2.1 inputs, for some reason.

If you don't have the space I can understand, but to spend good money on the top of the line TV and not use a AV receiver and good speakers seems just wrong. In places where I can't have good sound I don't bother with good picture, or in this case the best possible picture and size costing thousands. I just can't wrap my head around it. Heck you could even buy used AV gear and still have great sound and picture.

All 4 of the HDMI inputs on LG's and Samsung's OLED TVs are 2.1 with full bandwidth. It seems that Sony is the only manufacturer in the high end TV market that is limiting the number of 2.1 inputs, for some reason.
It also funny that Sony TVs are like twice as expensive as LG and Samsung TVs. They really trying to get people to buy their recivers.

Bit of a necrobump but yeah, I do get the grievance. Two HDMI 2.1 ports may technically be enough for most people but problems do arise if one of the ports is also your eARC port. Maybe things are better these days but because of the very loose HDMI 2.1 standard there used to be a lot of soundbars and receivers with "fake" HDMI 2.1 passthrough. My LG dolby atmos bar is one. I have PS5 and a gaming grade HTPC below my Panasonic oled but depending on which I want to use I have to switch cables because my soundbar cannot passthrough 120hz nor VRR. I basically have only one HDMI 2.1 and three 2.0 ports because the soundbar is limiting the other 2.1 port.

TCL C805 that I have as a PC monitor got this right. It also has only two HDMI 2.1 ports but eARC is on the other ports, leaving the two 2.1 ports free to be used for anything you want to. Too bad this is just a monitor to me so none of them wont be used for anything except for single 2.1 port, but when I found out how they were configured I was stunned. THIS IS SO OBVIOUS AND HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE and should have been done from the start. People upgrade their TV's much more often than they do their sound systems, making them the limiting factor if they have to be used for anything else other than pure audio.

I could buy a switcher box but really, I shouldn't have to.

Bit of a necrobump but yeah, I do get the grievance. Two HDMI 2.1 ports may technically be enough for most people but problems do arise if one of the ports is also your eARC port.

Sony uses a mediatek chip for their SOC and they've been using the same one since 2020, so all of their TVs have had this limitation since then. They have the eARC port as one of the 2.1 ports so that if you're using an AVR you can still get sound from the TV's built in apps and other devices plugged directly into the TV back into AVR. But if you have a 2.1 capable AVR, you don't want to plug it into an eARC port that isn't 2.1 compatible.

sure, but that post was almost a year ago...

for me two is enough as the only thing I would connect to the HDMI 2.1 ports are my main TV (eARC) and a possible PlayStation console...plus I haven't upgraded my receiver in over 10 years so I would most like buy a fully HDMI 2.1 one...you can also get a switcher

taht's why I don't mind paying the 'Sony tax' to buy the best QD-OLED as I don't like to upgrade my home theater display all the time and want to use it for 5+ years

Sony uses a mediatek chip for their SOC and they've been using the same one since 2020, so all of their TVs have had this limitation since then. They have the eARC port as one of the 2.1 ports so that if you're using an AVR you can still get sound from the TV's built in apps and other devices plugged directly into the TV back into AVR. But if you have a 2.1 capable AVR, you don't want to plug it into an eARC port that isn't 2.1 compatible.

TCL also uses Mediatek processor and doesn't have this issue. And why wouldn't you want to plug your 2.1 capable AVR to eARC? Lag? As long as you enable Passthrough mode (as in take it away from Auto setting that defaults to TV handling your audio) in your TV settings then eARC does not introduce any lag worth mentioning so that is not a particularly good reason. Otherwise HDMI 2.1 did not introduce anything meaningful that is audio related, they are basically identical with HDMI 2.0.
The only real downside of eARC is it can be buggy with some hardware configurations. Nvidia is notoriously bad with it and RTX3000 serie is still not fully fixed (and probably ever) even if they claim it is. Worst of the audio skips can be remedied by using High Performance mode, but not fully and only true fix is to also disable Gsync.

TCL also uses Mediatek processor and doesn't have this issue.

I've never looked at a TCL TV and don't know what specific Mediatek processor they are using, are you stating they are using the exact same one as Sony is?

And why wouldn't you want to plug your 2.1 capable AVR to eARC? Lag? As long as you enable Passthrough mode (as in take it away from Auto setting that defaults to TV handling your audio) in your TV settings then eARC does not introduce any lag worth mentioning so that is not a particularly good reason. Otherwise HDMI 2.1 did not introduce anything meaningful that is audio related, they are basically identical with HDMI 2.0.

You want to plug your HDMI 2.1 AVR into a HDMI 2.1 eARC port on the TV so that the TV can fully support any HDMI 2.1 devices that are plugged into your AVR.

I've never looked at a TCL TV and don't know what specific Mediatek processor they are using, are you stating they are using the exact same one as Sony is?

You want to plug your HDMI 2.1 AVR into a HDMI 2.1 eARC port on the TV so that the TV can fully support any HDMI 2.1 devices that are plugged into your AVR.

Unsure if they are the same. My TCL uses MediaTek MT9653 chip.

Yes I get that but if you use Passthrough mode on your TV then why would you want to route everything through your AVR?

Unsure if they are the same. My TCL uses MediaTek MT9653 chip.

Sony uses the S900 which only has 2 HDMI 2.1 outputs.

Yes I get that but if you use Passthrough mode on your TV then why would you want to route everything through your AVR?

Because you have more than 3 devices you want to hook up to your TV? That also negates one of the pros of using an the AVR, to handle all of the inputs for every device and you only need a single connection to the TV with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back