Sony is FINALLY working on bringing Discord to Playstation

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
This is huge for anyone who cross plays with their buddies on consoles.

And to be honest, it's about time.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/3/22417586/sony-discord-playstation-consoles-investment-partnership

"PlayStation is now partnering with Discord, the popular online communication service, with a promise to “bring the Discord and PlayStation experiences closer together on console and mobile starting early next year.”

Details on what that would actually entail are slim, and Sony’s announcement just says that the two companies are “hard at work connecting Discord with your social and gaming experience on PlayStation Network.” Whether that means a full-fledged Discord app coming to PlayStation consoles or a more limited integration (like connecting PSN and Discord accounts to more easily chat with friends off platform) has yet to be announced."

Wasn't Microsoft about to buy Discord? Do we want consoles to become more PC like? First x86 hardware, now Discord? We need the console equivalent of the Tower of Babel to prevent them from reaching PC godhood. The peasants are evolving.

4334.png

Wasn't Microsoft about to buy Discord? Do we want consoles to become more PC like? First x86 hardware, now Discord? We need the console equivalent of the Tower of Babel to prevent them from reaching PC godhood. The peasants are evolving.
Console are already PCs and have been , as you said, using x86 hardware and been internet connected, except they put a purdy GUI on it and charge you a monthly fee to use anything..

What i love is the word going around Sony will charge you for cross platform play?

Console are already PCs and have been , as you said, using x86 hardware and been internet connected, except they put a purdy GUI on it and charge you a monthly fee to use anything..
They have similar PC features but not PC's. They're not open like PC's are. I don't need Sony or Microsoft to implement Discord when I can just download the program and run it. Consoles are using PC hardware with an OS that's extremely walled garden.
What i love is the word going around Sony will charge you for cross platform play?
You don't see that on PC either. Cross Play would be hilarious if as a mouse and keyboard users I can go against gamepad users, and Sony users are paying for it. Actually they would be double dipping since you already pay a monthly fee to play games and another fee for Cross Play.

They have similar PC features but not PC's. They're not open like PC's are. I don't need Sony or Microsoft to implement Discord when I can just download the program and run it. Consoles are using PC hardware with an OS that's extremely walled garden.

You don't see that on PC either. Cross Play would be hilarious if as a mouse and keyboard users I can go against gamepad users, and Sony users are paying for it. Actually they would be double dipping since you already pay a monthly fee to play games and another fee for Cross Play.
They have the aim assist with controller on console dialed through the roof most of the time. Some games now have top players using controllers on PC, but we are seeing aim assist for controller + PC being reduced below console levels. Depending on the game and play style mouse and keyboard can be a disadvantage at this point. Console players make up way more market share and they don't want them to stop playing because PC players are railing them.

They have the aim assist with controller on console dialed through the roof most of the time. Some games now have top players using controllers on PC, but we are seeing aim assist for controller + PC being reduced below console levels. Depending on the game and play style mouse and keyboard can be a disadvantage at this point. Console players make up way more market share and they don't want them to stop playing because PC players are railing them.

This. I was a huge pc gamer mouse keyboard guy but with apex coming out I tried controller. At first hated it. Now. It's really nice and doesn't hurt compared to keyboard and mouse long term for me. Guess I'm getting old but using a keyboard and mouse leaves my pinkies on both hands feeling really cramped and my shoulders tense. The golden spot has been using a ps5 controller on a pc running apex at 1440 at a constant 165hz. Nothing over the top, just really great frame rate and a great controller polling rate. Been super happy with it.

Most games don't let keyboard and mouse go against gamepad users. Countless tests were done and the worst keyboard and mouse user always had the edge over gamepad. Unless new games dialed the aim assist to become aimbot then gamepad users are always at a disadvantage. If games are turning aim assist into aimbot then that's a big mistake. Because there are gamepad emulators that turn keyboard and mouse into a fake gamepad. Thus you can give keyboard and mouse aimbot and that just breaks the entire game. At that point everyone has aimbot.

How do you guys have problems with your hands?
We getting old! I can't twist my left wrist all the way since I broke it during my teens. It becomes very discomforting if I use a KB too long gaming. It is why I prefer to use a controller.

How do you guys have problems with your hands?
What Vegeta535 said, but it's not just that. RSI injuries can be caused by just being in a slightly-off position, such that it takes months before you realize that you're in pain all day, starting about an hour after your get into work, because your chair is an inch too low. A lot of people don't realize what's happening until they've caused permanent nerve damage.

Personally, I use a custom mechanical keyboard because I bottom out the keys and hurt my fingertips. Mechanical keyboards with tactile switches helped me learn not to press the keys all the way down.

What Vegeta535 said, but it's not just that. RSI injuries can be caused by just being in a slightly-off position, such that it takes months before you realize that you're in pain all day, starting about an hour after your get into work, because your chair is an inch too low. A lot of people don't realize what's happening until they've caused permanent nerve damage.

Personally, I use a custom mechanical keyboard because I bottom out the keys and hurt my fingertips. Mechanical keyboards with tactile switches helped me learn not to press the keys all the way down.
Must suck to be mortal.

Most games don't let keyboard and mouse go against gamepad users. Countless tests were done and the worst keyboard and mouse user always had the edge over gamepad. Unless new games dialed the aim assist to become aimbot then gamepad users are always at a disadvantage. If games are turning aim assist into aimbot then that's a big mistake. Because there are gamepad emulators that turn keyboard and mouse into a fake gamepad. Thus you can give keyboard and mouse aimbot and that just breaks the entire game. At that point everyone has aimbot.

The solution, of course, is to just force every game on consoles to have both gamepad and keyboard & mouse input support.

I must be the minority, but i find Discord to be bloated crap.
Aye, it can definitely seem that way...

But as one fellow gamer to another, this can be tweeked just like anything else we tinker with and it can be an absolutely sweet software for communication.

Back