Sony Interactive Launches Unit to Adapt Games for Film, TV

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by lostin3d, May 20, 2019.

1. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

2. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Ask Ubisoft and Square Enix how that's working out for them.

lostin3d likes this.
  3. scojer

scojer 2[H]4U

In the article they said that they don't want to do what they're doing. They don't want to retell the story that's already established.

So, if they make a show or movie set in an established universe, this could potentially do well. Some easier to come up with ideas than others.

Example:

The Last of Us. They can literally do anything in that universe, just have some zombies and bandits.
    Uncharted: This one is a bit trickier. Maybe have Nathan Drake's daughter go on some adventures for a show, or, a big adventure for a movie.
    God of War: This one would also be tricky, but it can be a show or film following a hero as they embark on their own quest of vengeance. They try to catch up with Kratos because in Kratos' past he killed their family on one of his many quests of the Gods.

BUT, I know that they'll do poorly and try to reinvent the wheel rather than improve upon it.

lostin3d likes this.
  4. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

The worst part is that Sony higher up's do have a habit of putting too much input into the direction they want a movie to go. Spider-Man 3 anyone. So even if these do a good job of getting something off the ground what are the odds someone else won't intervene and steer it off course. I do agree though, there are some good potential IP's to use.

Armenius likes this.
  5. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

Personally I think this may be a bad thing. I don't want SP, story based games designed with movie profits / other media taken into account and become a determining aspect of what kind of project gets green lighted.

6. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

I don't think it would effect any game development. Sony has been good with their developers and staying pretty hands off. I don't see this being any good. Sony studios movies with huge budgets normally are pretty garbage. I don't see a lot of these shows/movie having huge budgets. I read that twisted metal will be the game they going to do. Could be awesome but will turn out to be some cheesey B movie.