Sony has the WORST support policies ever

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
I buy a ps3, it's DOA. It takes about 2 weeks for them to allow me to send it back and send me a REFURBISHED model back. I bought this brand new and could not return it to store and sony would not give me another new unit. The refurbished unit arrived today. This time I actually got video, but I think they left a disc stuck in the drive.... I CANNOT put a disc into this one. 2 PS3s going to be a month of my life before I get might finally get a working ps3. Burn in hell sony.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1183032

that shows when they originally sent me the dead one.

I had the EXACT opposite experience in January.
My PS3's HDMI stopped working. They sent me a shipping box airborne express, I shipped mine back, and I had a new one in the box in less than 5 days.
Were you wishy washy in telling them about the problem you had?

How can you be wishy washy about telling them you had a doa system? I'm not saying Sony has bad cs or a good one since I've never talked to them but... I can't imagine you messing up on telling them that the system is brand new dead..

BB has bad cs...

definately not wishy washy. My last one would not even turn on... this is NOT the same problem at all. Hell, maybe they sent me back the same system I sent them and this one was just plagued by multiple problems...

Their ps3 support phone number is closed until the morning so I can't even contact them to scream at whoever the unfortunate person is who takes my call.

there is not a disk stuck in the drive, there is no tray u just insert the disk. I thought there was a tray and was flipping out lollolol

there is not a disk stuck in the drive, there is no tray u just insert the disk. I thought there was a tray and was flipping out lollolol

umm, i try to push the disc in and it wont go all the way in....
and its making a very loud noise everytime i try to insert a disc

If there's a disc in the drive, there will be a blue light lit right next to the green light. You knew that right ?

Oh and I don't think this has to do with their support policies ... just incompetent people.

I'm calling bullshit on this thread. First of all if yoru system is DOA any authorized reseller will exchange it no questions asked!

Second of all if you made sure and told sony that it was DOA brand new they WILL send you a brand new one.

I had mine die on me not DOA and I had a new PS3 within 3 days from Sony.

I'm calling bullshit on this thread. First of all if yoru system is DOA any authorized reseller will exchange it no questions asked!

Second of all if you made sure and told sony that it was DOA brand new they WILL send you a brand new one.

I had mine die on me not DOA and I had a new PS3 within 3 days from Sony.

very blatant lies there. Assuming you are a sony fanboy. Call them and tell them that your system is dead. They refuse to cross ship even if you offer to let them put a hold on your credit card account for the amount the system costs until you ship back the dead system. They have to receive and process your system before they will send one back to you and you can read the playstation forums. Try googling playstation forums and anyone there will tell you that you will not receive a new system.

And any authorized reseller? Try buying from sony themselves at sonystyle.com. They transfer you to the playstation rma department and refuse to take back the system and send you a new one. If you are simply going to be an ass and add nothing to the thread please stay out of it.

95% of sony customer support stories I've seen regarding the ps3 have been extremely positive. But hey, no need for facts when you're talking about the ps3, eh?
So wait... because he ran into a shitty customer service rep that makes him a liar?

You, sir, are an asshole. (See what I did there?)

So wait... because he ran into a shitty customer service rep that makes him a liar?

Please read the posts you respond to. I responded to some smartass remark saying that sony had no customer service whatsoever (an incorrect opinion he formulated based on one instance), not to the op's testimonial. Also note my use of "95%" (which is less than "100%"), clearly stating that not all cases are handled perfectly.

Nice try.

Yeah....Sony fixed my launch PS2 for me last year or so...that's pretty good for a product that was about 4 years out of warranty. No complaints from me here on their CS for Playstation or Trinitron products.

From my experience on the phone with Sony, if you can't give them any solid diagnosis yourself, they're going to go in circles giving you the same "make sure it's plugged in all the way" type advice.
I told them my exact issue, told them what I'd done, what wasn't working, etc. and they made me re-do 2-3 major things (like formatting the system) and then they conceded that I had a broken PS3. Having worked in customer service when I was younger, when people call up and go on and on about how mad they are and they can't give a good explanation of what's wrong, it's easy to stick it to those people. It's not good, but most customer issues at companies that are known for good service tend to fall into this area.
I'm not calling him a liar, but an exception. There are a lot more good stories about PS3 support than bad ones. I'm a proud 360 owner, but MS's is 100x more spotty.
Oh yeah - why not take it back? What if he got it on Amazon? Good luck getting them (and whomever they order them through) to take it back. That's why I RMA'd mine.
Pretty much any online retailer is going to be a pain to return to. RMA'ing is free and a weeklong process.

From my experience on the phone with Sony, if you can't give them any solid diagnosis yourself, they're going to go in circles giving you the same "make sure it's plugged in all the way" type advice.
I told them my exact issue, told them what I'd done, what wasn't working, etc. and they made me re-do 2-3 major things (like formatting the system) and then they conceded that I had a broken PS3. Having worked in customer service when I was younger, when people call up and go on and on about how mad they are and they can't give a good explanation of what's wrong, it's easy to stick it to those people. It's not good, but most customer issues at companies that are known for good service tend to fall into this area.
I'm not calling him a liar, but an exception. There are a lot more good stories about PS3 support than bad ones. I'm a proud 360 owner, but MS's is 100x more spotty.
Oh yeah - why not take it back? What if he got it on Amazon? Good luck getting them (and whomever they order them through) to take it back. That's why I RMA'd mine.
Pretty much any online retailer is going to be a pain to return to. RMA'ing is free and a weeklong process.

Yea.. that’s just how Customer Service works.... Working at Cingular CC for about a year... customers calling in all pissed off "demanding" a free phone because they dropped theirs in the ::toilet, cup of mountain due/tea/pepsi/beer/ ran over by a car:: was easier for me to deny the request than to someone who was polite, patient and explained their concerns in a civil matter.

Most of the time... with any Customer Service... if you are polite but stern, you will almost always get what you want. You have to know how to talk to people, line up questions so that they can't go back on their word, and if all else fails... feel free to escalate the situation. If the first rep can't do what you want, and their team manager can't... I'm sure an area manager or a site director will be more than happy to give you what you want :p

If you come onto the phone raging and cussing... the rep will automatically go into defensive mode. Sometimes they take what you personal which means less effort their going to put out for you. If you have something evil to say... say something like "I know your working for them, and I'm not directing anything I say towards you, but you are my only channel by means to communicate to the company".

This doesn't mean you become their bitch. If you play nice at first and they don't give you what you want... that’s when its time to begin escalating the situation :D

Good LUCK!

Nice try.
I think you missed my point... but no matter.

Can someone tell me why this thread has to turn into a fanboy flamefest? Who mentioned MS... Nintendo... whoever? This guy has an issue with Sony support so someone has to come along as say that MS's support sucks more? How sad are we FFS?

I can't imagine going to a mountain biking site (another hobby of mine) and saying "Kona support screwed me. My frame was buckled when it came to me but they sent me a used one in return".... to have loads of people suddenly reply "You're full of it, Kona have perfect support - much better than those idiots at Felt".

Seriously, [H] used to be the best place on the net for adult discussions without a fanboy in sight. What the hell happened?

Sony's customer service for their computer products used to have a really bad reputation (as of a couple years ago, I don't know what it is now). Customer service over all seems to have degraded over the last few years as competition has heated up. I think its BS to send people back refurb systems when the system was recently purchased new.

... Customer service over all seems to have degraded over the last few years as competition has heated up.
aint that the truth! altho I feel for ya op, I'd never buy from a place that won't accept the return. futureshop has a great return policy. live and learn!

Psychotext breath in and out man. calm the fuck down. :rolleyes:

Can someone tell me why this thread has to turn into a fanboy flamefest? Who mentioned MS... Nintendo... whoever? This guy has an issue with Sony support so someone has to come along as say that MS's support sucks more? How sad are we FFS?

I can't imagine going to a mountain biking site (another hobby of mine) and saying "Kona support screwed me. My frame was buckled when it came to me but they sent me a used one in return".... to have loads of people suddenly reply "You're full of it, Kona have perfect support - much better than those idiots at Felt".

Seriously, [H] used to be the best place on the net for adult discussions without a fanboy in sight. What the hell happened?

I know what your saying... but look at the thread title... "Sony has the WORST support policies ever" By making a thread with lingo like "worst" is going to create a debate.

If I made a thread titled "Microsoft has the WORST support polices ever"... you think a few people that didn't go through a bad experience will step up and say they had no problems? Are they fan boys for doing so? If I were to create a thread like that... if someone came in and said "I had no problems with Microsoft but couldn’t get any help from Nintendo". Because they are explaining what they have experienced doesn't make them a fan boy, does it?.

It would be different if he said "Had bad experience with Sony support policies"... then explain his/her problems or event(s) they had gone through....

But what ever... we just all need to relax... :D

The issue is that what he's saying is contrary to what's been posted and experienced by many others.
We're just mentioning that this isn't normal. Sony's policy is to send a new boxed replacement PS3 in most cases. I experienced that myself and so have other posters.
Are you implying that we should all just assume that his one bad experience is what happens to everyone and that Sony's support must suck?
That's the issue. If someone starts a thread titled "Psychotext is a big 'ol dummy head" when most have had a totally different experience, should we just sit by and just accept that as truth?
The guy had a bad experience, but it's not normal to the point that I'd almost suspect there's another side to the story. For them to send you a refurb is NOT normal.
They airmail you a box to ship your own, you send it back, a new one is sent to you (in the retail box) the next day.

We're just mentioning that this isn't normal. Sony's policy is to send a new boxed replacement PS3 in most cases. I experienced that myself and so have other posters.
Your point is valid, but two people stating that he's a liar on the first page of the thread isn't exactly what I'd called a reasoned response.

Companies only beef up support if they get bad press about it. It doesn't matter if its Sony, Microsoft, or whoever. Most people get normal service and some people get screwed. The only thing you can do is take care of the equipment the best you can, and hope you don't have to use support. If you do have to, put on your game face and be "the customer that they don't want to call back". The best service I have recieved so far has been from hard drive companies. You say its broken, they say "OK". You send them back the old one, they send you back another (possibly refurb, but I haven't had a bad second drive yet from WD, Seagate, or IBM.)

I know what your saying... but look at the thread title... "Sony has the WORST support policies ever" By making a thread with lingo like "worst" is going to create a debate.

If I made a thread titled "Microsoft has the WORST support polices ever"... you think a few people that didn't go through a bad experience will step up and say they had no problems? Are they fan boys for doing so? If I were to create a thread like that... if someone came in and said "I had no problems with Microsoft but couldn’t get any help from Nintendo". Because they are explaining what they have experienced doesn't make them a fan boy, does it?.

It would be different if he said "Had bad experience with Sony support policies"... then explain his/her problems or event(s) they had gone through....

But what ever... we just all need to relax... :D

Exactly. He didn't say "terrible" support, he said "worst." That word is inherently a comparison..."worst" means that other companies are better. How is it fanboy to bring other companies into a thread that is in and of itself a comparison?

PsychoText said:

I was referring to your name calling, without stooping to that level. I got your point, it was just misdirected.

I hold true to my original statement that this thread is stupid and pointless. Yes Sony does not crossship but who cares? They process "most" RMAs within a day and ship overnight. I personally had to get a replacement PS3 and had one 3 days after I shipped mine out.

And as I originally said, if you recieved a DOA PS3 Sony WILL replace it with a BRAND NEW PS3. It may be that they made a mistake and sent you a refurb becuase that is there policy for non DOA failures but if you call them and explain they will be more than happy to make another swap and I am sure they will apologise.

When you originally called did you even tell them it was DOA or did you just say it was broken? Did you ask them if the replacement would be a refurb or brand new unit? I still call bullshit since these details were left out of the OP.

generally, when i call customer service about a serious issue, i ask for a superior right away. i dont waste my time with people that dont have authority to do anything.

People on these threads always attack each other instead of what the actual thread is about. It becomes a "hes said she said" bullshit thread.

So, I have had a (single) event with sony, I ordered some headphones, they were chipped. I sent them back, they got them back to me in 3 days, they were still chipped. This went on for 3 weeks, for a total of 3 mails back and forth until they gave in and gave me a new pair. So, i got a new pair, i didn't pay shipping, but it was annoying to deal with.

It would have been one thing if he had said "I just had the WORST customer support experience ever".

But he included all of Sony and decided that was their "policy". That clearly is a lie.

I don't think it was right to jump all over him but getting the facts straight isn't wrong.

If you buy something new from an authorized dealer and it's DOA you're entitled to a new sealed unit or refund. It's the law.

There's cycles when the fanboyism declines and it's right now it's still declining. You know how many PS3 bashing posts I see only to see a 360 praise below it? It's really disgusting. If you don't have a 360 a Wii, x-fi or an Intel Dual Core you're a fucking idiot on these forums. I'm so sick of the bashing.

wait, why didnt you just return it to the store you bought it from?

bought it from sonystyle.com
When you contact them for another system saying its defective they simply transfer you to the ps3 warranty center b/c it is a part of sony itself. short answer, they will not let you return it

bought it from sonystyle.com
When you contact them for another system saying its defective they simply transfer you to the ps3 warranty center b/c it is a part of sony itself. short answer, they will not let you return it
wow, yea thats pretty stupid. well im guessing you wont be buying anything from sonystyle again rofl.

Back