Sony Has Sold 2.1M PS4s

they haven't been released in Asia yet, which is a clinch for Sony.
Looks like PS4 will win the Launch Wars of 2013-2014

Discussing and being a fanboy are two different things. Discussing entitles actually making valid or semi valid statements and being willing to listen to the other person and have a real converstation. Being 100% unwilling to listen to anyone, accept anything that is semi negative about your system or holding onto your views no matter what while repeating the same thing over and over again isn't discussing.

That I'll agree with, where I differ is that his list looked to be an attempt to shut down discussion rather than promote good discussion (given that a number of the points are only half-true or in dispute).

they haven't been released in Asia yet, which is a clinch for Sony.
Looks like PS4 will win the Launch Wars of 2013-2014

China has by several orders of magnitude the most sales potential of any new market this generation, but I don't think it or any other console will make a big splash right off the bat.

Japan is pretty well a lock, but with their very large (and continuing) shift to mobile and handhelds I doubt that you'll see the same sort of console sales there that you have in the past. It will still be good if for no other reason than that it will get the system more Japanese developer support, but I don't think you're going to see the tens of millions of sales that some previous consoles have had there.

3DS owns Japan and I don't see that changing.

If you're not wanting people to discuss things then I'm not sure why you're posting about them Steve.

Let me quote myself:

Steve said:
I have been posting waaayy too much console news lately BUT, in my defense, this shit is hilarious and we only get to witness the fanboy fighting once every 5 - 7 years.

This will no doubt be followed by a whole bunch of random speculation, made up stats and chants of victory. Followed by crying and excuses the following week. Followed by crying and excuses the week after that. Rinse, repeat and so on (from both sides). Etc. etc. etc.

Like I said, it has been fun, but it will be nice not having to witness these threads for another 5 - 7 years.

:D

Japan is pretty well a lock, but with their very large (and continuing) shift to mobile and handhelds I doubt that you'll see the same sort of console sales there that you have in the past. It will still be good if for no other reason than that it will get the system more Japanese developer support, but I don't think you're going to see the tens of millions of sales that some previous consoles have had there.

3DS owns Japan and I don't see that changing.

I wouldn't put money on anything you just said.

Oh and there are already some very interesting editorials out here, dev blogs that are saying, with the PS4 having 50% more power actually might be a bad thing for Sony in regards to 3rd party titles. They are saying in order to maintain continuity between a companies titles from one console to the next, the features, textures, frame rate might be held back on the PS4.

Well, that's a given. What these 3rd party devs are trying to say is they need incentive in order to utilize dat console powah :D

I wouldn't put money on anything you just said.

Thats the great thing, you don't have to.

It's not like I just pulled it out of nowhere though. Japan already saw sales of the DS ((IIRC ~40M) and PSP (~20M?) well outpacing home consoles last generation and while it remains to be seen how things will compare this time around the 3DS managed more than 12 million sales there in less than 18 months.

No console currently comes close and while PS4 may get some share, the Wii U hasn't managed even 1/10th that amount, and it's not a stretch to think that Xbox will remain a non-factor there.

Console news krap is like an enema. You kinda wanna but then...

...where am I going with this.

:(

2.1 million consoles sold and not a single even remotely decent game in sight.

This is why we mock console gamers, this shit right here.

QFT.

Sums it up pretty simply.

Though if graphics cards were only updated once every 5+ years we'd probably see the same thing....Games would probably ugly as fuck like consoles too.

In what is shaping up to be a historic year for gamers, I’m delighted to share an important new milestone with you. There are no games worth playing.

Let me quote myself:

This will no doubt be followed by a whole bunch of random speculation, made up stats and chants of victory. Followed by crying and excuses the following week. Followed by crying and excuses the week after that. Rinse, repeat and so on (from both sides). Etc. etc. etc.

Like I said, it has been fun, but it will be nice not having to witness these threads for another 5 - 7 years.

:D

Why not restart HardConsole? If you do it right, you could corner the Microsoft vs. Sony market like the Ford Vs. Chevy rivalry. You could make a ton of traffic from just the EMO PC elitist crowd alone who will poop anything that is not a hardcore gaming pc. Then you could work the SDF who will dump on anything that does not make Sony appear like God's gift to man.

China has by several orders of magnitude the most sales potential of any new market this generation, but I don't think it or any other console will make a big splash right off the bat.

It should be curious to see what happens in China though. There's a lot of anti-Japanese/Japanese product sentiments in China still with fairly frequent (almost yearly) anti-Japanese themed propaganda(nearly) films like Ip man, Ip Man 2, Fearless, etc.

The films all seem to follow a fairly routine storyline where the first half is about how great life was in China, until one day... about 1/3rd into the film, the evil Japanese, invaded and started killing innocent Chinese hard working, dutiful, nice gentlemen who would never hurt a fly. Till one brave, martial artists Chinese hero stood up and single-handedly manage to fight off an entire arm and/or the hero of the Japanese army therefore in a David vs Goliath fashion thus end the war in that local area/city. While being totally noble about it and never gloating or bragging; a very humble hero who fought to prove the Chinese are better than the Japanese in both spirit/force/skill/any way possible really. *Ahem Propaganda*

I wonder if any of the anti-Japanese sentiment would give any assistance to Microsoft in that region over Sony....

It should be curious to see what happens in China though. There's a lot of anti-Japanese/Japanese product sentiments in China still with fairly frequent (almost yearly) anti-Japanese themed propaganda(nearly) films like Ip man, Ip Man 2, Fearless, etc.

The films all seem to follow a fairly routine storyline where the first half is about how great life was in China, until one day... about 1/3rd into the film, the evil Japanese, invaded and started killing innocent Chinese hard working, dutiful, nice gentlemen who would never hurt a fly. Till one brave, martial artists Chinese hero stood up and single-handedly manage to fight off an entire arm and/or the hero of the Japanese army therefore in a David vs Goliath fashion thus end the war in that local area/city. While being totally noble about it and never gloating or bragging; a very humble hero who fought to prove the Chinese are better than the Japanese in both spirit/force/skill/any way possible really. *Ahem Propaganda*

I wonder if any of the anti-Japanese sentiment would give any assistance to Microsoft in that region over Sony....

To be honest, do you blame them? The Japanese are not innocent in that they have committed their share of atrocities to their neighbors. Much of that hurt is deep rooted and will persist for at least a few more generations. That said, I do not think this really matters in that people will buy what they perceive as being the new thing. Stuff like this is a huge luxury as of right now, but marketing is going to be key.

In Australia PS4 is $639 with camera, Xbox One is $599. So Xbox Ones are cheaper then PS4.

2.1 million boring ass machines with an innovative lol share button and no good games

I find it rather amazing that Microsoft could not capitalize and dominate after 360/Live proved so popular over the last 3 years. Also, quite intriguing how Microsoft & Sony never seem to fully learn and evolve. They always seem to err on the side of bigger profits and not total consumer happiness. Give the people not what they want and then you can drain their pockets, Oh and they will love you for it

I find it rather amazing that Microsoft could not capitalize and dominate after 360/Live proved so popular over the last 3 years. Also, quite intriguing how Microsoft & Sony never seem to fully learn and evolve. They always seem to err on the side of bigger profits and not total consumer happiness. Give the people not what they want and then you can drain their pockets, Oh and they will love you for it

I have to pull you up on that, we the customers said we didn't like the always online for Xbox one.... and they removed it. So in fact they did give what the customer wanted.

Another thing, you will not be able to build a gaming system for $600, you can build a system for $600 but it wont be good or even average for gaming.

Wait till it launches in UAE/Saudi Arabia. Every living human being that has a wee bit of soccer interest will be out in stores grabbing PS4 and a copy of Fifa 14. I don't know if I will be able to get one even on the 13th of December :(.

To be honest, do you blame them? The Japanese are not innocent in that they have committed their share of atrocities to their neighbors. Much of that hurt is deep rooted and will persist for at least a few more generations. That said, I do not think this really matters in that people will buy what they perceive as being the new thing. Stuff like this is a huge luxury as of right now, but marketing is going to be key.

The Chinese really isn't any better to their own people for that matter. Moreover, the KMT was not exactly saintly, nor were the Chinese warlords that were around at the time... but I digress.

No, I don't blame them at all. I'm just curious if that sentiment would affect sales in the event two countries make a very similar product where one is the US and the other is Japan. I do slightly blame some other cultures for continuing grudges on religious basis about events that occurred thousands of years ago. The Japan-China conflicts are quite fresh so I understand why its still a sensitive subject matter. I would be hard pressed to say the same about some conflicts in the middle east where people are waiting for Jesus to come back. But that's really really off topic from PS4 vs Xbox One sales. So back to the subject, now that China is like the #2 or so economy in the world, I wonder if the Japanese-hate might effect sales within China in a pro-Microsoft way despite PS4 having the arguably better hardware and running more games closer to 1080p natively.

http://kotaku.com/why-it-matters-that-ps4-games-are-higher-resolution-th-1475165066

No, I don't blame them at all. I'm just curious if that sentiment would affect sales in the event two countries make a very similar product where one is the US and the other is Japan. I do slightly blame some other cultures for continuing grudges on religious basis about events that occurred thousands of years ago. The Japan-China conflicts are quite fresh so I understand why its still a sensitive subject matter. I would be hard pressed to say the same about some conflicts in the middle east where people are waiting for Jesus to come back. But that's really really off topic from PS4 vs Xbox One sales. So back to the subject, now that China is like the #2 or so economy in the world, I wonder if the Japanese-hate might effect sales within China in a pro-Microsoft way despite PS4 having the arguably better hardware and running more games closer to 1080p natively.

http://kotaku.com/why-it-matters-that-ps4-games-are-higher-resolution-th-1475165066

It could but right now I think it is anyones guess. Most Chinese probably think that the USA is their main rival now. So they would be inclined to not support us. Most Chinese are aware of WW2 atrocities. But the main thing to consider is that gamers are a younger crowd who probably does not have the deep feeling the older generation has about WW2. This same pattern developed in Korea and was discussed at length 5-10 years ago as many Koreans, especially younger ones were purchasing Japanese products and listening to music, watching movies etc... And the older Koreans disapproved.

That said at the end of the day a console has a specific business model and if the older Chinese who run the government want to they can break that business model with just a bit of a tariff. Since the Chinese already have cheap and ubiquitous access to computers the old sell the console cheap trick may not work. So then it just comes down to who is willing to pay more for the features of the console? This could all be good for MS, they could offer the Chinese government the ability to spy through Kinect and Kinect would be a feature that could be enticing to people where as the PS4 offers nothing other than being a run of the mill console.

Actually, as predicted (to the day) Microsoft has announced Xbox One sales topping 2 million.

Sony hit 2M in 16 days
Microsoft hit 2M in 18 days

SEE SONY IS BETTER THEY HIT 2M faster than Microsh!t.HAHAAHHAHA

Thought I would just get that out there before any fan boys came around.

This shows that both consoles are going strong and that this generation should be about the same as last generation. Which is good. That means that games should be pushed to both consoles just like last gen and people can game on which ever one they want (for those that don't want to go the pc route).

Now just need to wait for games to start being released for the consoles.

ironically if you go down to the PC gaming forum and look at the GOTY thread people are having trouble even identifying true PC exclusives

Say what you want, but I got 1000s of hours of 1080p gameplay out of my PS3 that I picked up used for $150. And I got to play on my 51" plasma TV, not some 27" LCD panel. Compared to the $10,000 that some gamers spend on their ridiculous gaming rigs, I think I made out pretty well.

I also was able to re-evaluate my entire life based on those 1000s of hours spent playing video games, and I've now sold all of my PS3 games and reconfigured the rig I am planning to serve me as a dedicated workstation.

All for $150. :p

I'd love to see the sales number of Latin American countries. Don't they have extremely high tariffs against electronic devices that put consoles in the $1000+ price range?

The irony, it hurts.

Irony would have been had I turned around and bashed Sony. I have nothing against Sony. I consider both consoles to be equal in most areas. I don't think one will give you shit experience and the other will make you shit gold bars or anything crazy. It is just like OS choices. If you like Mac OS and it does what you need then great, use it. If you like Unix and it does what you need the great. Same for Linux or windows. Use what you enjoy and like. I own an Xbox One. But that doesn't mean at some point I would buy a PS 4 if there are exclusives that I want. I don't stick to just a single console per generation. I buy which one I want based on games at the time. Still might even pick up a Wii U some day.

I am glad both systems are doing well. Without competition the field doesn't progress.

Back