Sony Has Been Hacked Again (Twice)

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is getting harder and harder to keep up with all these security breaches at Sony. The worst part is, you know the attacks are just going to continue.

As reported by the security firm F-Secure today, the official homepage of Sony Thailand is being used to host a phishing site for an Italian credit card company. "Basically this means that Sony has been hacked," writes F-Secure. The other attack is more malicious. About 100,000 yen ($1,225) was stolen from Sony customer accounts in Japan, reports Reuters. An intruder reportedly penetrated Sony's online infrastructure and stole virtual points from account holders.

Heh...wow...seriously not sure what to say about this anymore.

This could snowball into something larger. More restrictive internet access. Governments becoming much more active in the monitoring of the net etc. I know NOTHING of the technical aspects of these attacks. However, I know human nature and how large corporations and governments will react if they feel threatened.

Pretty sad and not to defend Sony and its lame security but once you become a target .. you stay a target for a while.

Glad I never used my personal info on PSN, hell my PS3 has been unplugged for 3 months now...

I say took them long enough lol I figured they would be hacked day one they were back up. Like other people said once you have been hacked once and every one knows its easy picking its going to happen again. They will probably have to end up rebuilding there network from scratch. You would think a company that old and do nothing but tech products would know enough not to get hacked.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Steve, instead of reporting all the Sony hacks report only on the days when Sony was not hacked. Less work for you then :D.

I'm guessing that the Sony networks aren't any more unsecured than any other corporate network is and all these attacks are just because it has become the "cool" thing to do to target them.

Am I wrong, or are they seriously incompetent?

Heh, try being me...I'm a "Sony hater" now because I post the news about Sony being hacked. :(

Well you do post the negative ones a lot faster than the positive ones. Albeit there hasn't been much positive lately, lol.

I'm guessing that the Sony networks aren't any more unsecured than any other corporate network is and all these attacks are just because it has become the "cool" thing to do to target them.

I'd say you're mostly correct. A lot of the times it really has nothing to do w/ securing or patching vulnerable servers. Disgruntled employees, ex-employees, or social engineering current employees is probably the easiest way to gain access to something you aren't supposed to have access to. Gotta go after the weakest link.

Your not wrong, as much as the sony haters want people to believe otherwise.
If it wasn't sony, they'd be targetting someone else... it's the "in" thing to target them right now after the geohot case, and I bet there's not a company in the world who would not have the same happen if they were targetted in the same way, there is no such thing as security on the internet.

Your not wrong, as much as the sony haters want people to believe otherwise.
If it wasn't sony, they'd be targetting someone else... it's the "in" thing to target them right now after the geohot case, and I bet there's not a company in the world who would not have the same happen if they were targetted in the same way, there is no such thing as security on the internet.

so you think all of this following the geohot case is just a coincidence, and now its just "cool" to hack sony?

Sony poked the bee's nest, and is now being stun.

Heh, try being me...I'm a "Sony hater" now because I post the news about Sony being hacked. :(
I get that all the time. I get retards accusing me of going to xbox fanboy sites and getting my news there. I'm like, "First, I'm a PC gamer. Second, I get my news from a PC hardware site so how the fuck can you accuse me of bias? Retards...

What positive news?
I was thinking the same thing...

Sony brought this on themselves by being so agressive in going after GeoHot and other hackers. They shouldnt have gone overboard with it. Now they are paying the price for being such a big ass about their beloved PS3.

It wont stop me buying a new PS3 in a few weeks , but I will hack it with custom Firmware to play my Retail (not pirated) copy of GT5 that broke my phat 60GB PS3 two months ago from the PS3's HDD , because the game runs a lot smoother when its not playing from the BlueRay drive.

Also before the dead PS3 gets blamed on Custom Firmware. My ps3 was on official Firmware 3.60 when it died. I did have custom Firmware on my PS3 for a month until firmware 3.6 was released. I was an hour into a four hour B-Spec endurance when my PS3 died.

Given Sony's idiocy, I'm rather glad to have sold my PS3. Now I can return to the land of PC gaming.

Given Sony's idiocy, I'm rather glad to have sold my PS3. Now I can return to the land of PC gaming.
The only reason I want a PS3 is because GT5 isnt on the PC. I bought the Limited Edition of GT5 and I loved playing it until my four and a half PS3 died on me. If Gran Turismo was released on PC I would never buy a PS3.

Sony who?

Oh, that company. The one that shut down a month or two ago due to getting hacked and can't get anything right since. O.k. I had to refresh my memory.

All Sony brand products in my house have either been sold or in the process of being sold. PS3 was the first that went.

I love all these people that act like they could be doing so much better of a job at fixing these security issues than Sony is. If you're so great, why aren't you working on fixing things rather than bashing them on a forum?

As people have been saying, this could have happened to anybody. If these attacks were directed towards Microsoft/Xbox Live, there's no way to say it'd be any different.

I am thinking this too.

Does sony host their own site? are they using a 3rd party? how was it hacked, script injections, getting past firewalls?

any company can get taken down if enough people focus on them.

At this rate, it'd be news for each day Sony DOESN'T get hacked.

I'm getting pretty tired of all of this. I just want to be able to get on and play games. Instead of stickin' it to "the man", these hackers are stickin' it to us. Enough already. This is Sony right now, and everyone is acting like it could only happen to Sony. What happens when they get bored of Sony or wants another challenge and goes for XBOX Live? I'd imagine you can get a lot more users' info from there then PSN users.

While I think these hackers are pretty scummy myself, I can't argue that they're not being effective. I'm betting that lots of companies out there are hoping they don't piss them off. Granted Sony made it easy by having absolutely shit security, but still.

This is beyond the joke now, Sony should have just let the whole Geohotz thing go, if a minority of customers want to use an alternative on "their personal property", they can go ahead, I don't give a rats arse what they do with the system, as it's not bothering me.

Although Anon are beginning to piss me off, their not so much the Robin Hood of the Interwebz, but a bunch of tossers fecking it up for everyone else. I liked them more, when they were screwing with the insane baptist church group (that was excommunicated from the baptist church movement), at least that was a semi worthwhile cause.

Hacker's stay togather, they are a big group, more then anybody will know. they could being anybody down they wanted to. any company or government piss's them off, they will be in sony's shoe's it's that simple.

But Sony Wanted to go after them, and start a war with them, we'll sony got there war, and now they are paying for it big time, and belive me hacker's dont just give up. they will fight until they feel they have won.

I'm getting pretty tired of all of this. I just want to be able to get on and play games. Instead of stickin' it to "the man", these hackers are stickin' it to us. Enough already. This is Sony right now, and everyone is acting like it could only happen to Sony. What happens when they get bored of Sony or wants another challenge and goes for XBOX Live? I'd imagine you can get a lot more users' info from there then PSN users.

Trust me if Microsoft gets hacked, you will see a lot more people pissed off at the hackers. Sad but true.

all this bullshit is going to make the whole psn more strict were inevitably going to see a pay to pay service. darn sony and there big egos. Hackers would of left you alone if you weren't so easy to penetrate and hate. I bet Geohot has had his share of LOL moments from this all.

Hacker's stay togather, they are a big group, more then anybody will know. they could being anybody down they wanted to. any company or government piss's them off, they will be in sony's shoe's it's that simple.

How long before the government pushes through with locking down the net if they keep this up? Piracy is a corporate matter, but stealing private citizens info would be on Federal.

And as I said this has gone far beyond getting at Sony. They are screwing over a lot of users as well. If it's just hacking to make a point to Sony, then point made...now let people play. Sony is not the only company that wants to make money; they are not the only company that doesn't want you to modify their stuff.

And as I said this has gone far beyond getting at Sony. They are screwing over a lot of users as well. If it's just hacking to make a point to Sony, then point made...now let people play. Sony is not the only company that wants to make money; they are not the only company that doesn't want you to modify their stuff.

It sure would be nice if all those PS3 exclusive titles looked at this as a reason to start developing on multiple platforms.

But Sony Wanted to go after them, and start a war with them, we'll sony got there war, and now they are paying for it big time, and belive me hacker's dont just give up. they will fight until they feel they have won.

If I translate this into English, it still does not make sense.

Its how sony goes about making that money that pisses people off and they have every reason to.

Back