Sony Has Been Hacked Again (Twice)

He means, the way Sony goes about making money, the same way as other companies.

exactly, it is all about profit, i do enjoy people who think that X company actually gives a rats butt about them and their money... :rolleyes:

Hacker's stay togather, they are a big group, more then anybody will know. they could being anybody down they wanted to. any company or government piss's them off, they will be in sony's shoe's it's that simple.

But Sony Wanted to go after them, and start a war with them, we'll sony got there war, and now they are paying for it big time, and belive me hacker's dont just give up. they will fight until they feel they have won.

Fuck them, they are little better than trash. The continued attacks prove it. They are doing to do it. It's not about protecting pansy ass Geohotz, it's about showing how powerful they are. They are no better than vandals at this point. I say this, while at the same time knowing Sony is a pile of shit as well

Keep going until they think they have won? BS, they can't win, they can only fuck it up for everyone else. I don't care how you see it, the government, and average people will see this as terrorism. They are going to be the excuse needed by the politicians to get the people to allow them full control of the internet. We will end up with a locked down, censored, internet that gets shut down every time some one makes a foul remark regarding some mega corp or political leader.

I can't stand when people try to romanticize these craptards. These people are not Robin Hoods.

If Sony wouldn't have went after people resoring services they were sold (OtherOS), I'd definately be against the hackers. I feel taking away other OS is criminal, no matter how few people use it. It's a consumer rights issue. I couldn't just go and take a good/service back after the fact because I didn't want people to have it anymore. It would be a tough break for me, I already sold them the goods.

Mess with the bull, get the horns. I hope they keep hacking them over and over until either A) Sony restores Other OS, or B) Sony goes out of business. There can be no compromise.

People wishing a company to go out of business have issues.

I don't want them to go out of business. I want them to stop bing pricks and disabling features people paid for.

If you can't follow through on delivering the product you sold, you have no right being in business.

sony can get fucked they earned it after all

What makes any gaming company any different? I'm sure if the hackers really wanted to, they'd hack the 360 as well. But since the 360 seems to be everybody's love child, and probably the hackers too, they aren't going to do it lawl.

I hope they prove me wrong.. I'd like to have my fun in bashing as well! Microsoft deserves it just as much as Sony.

What makes any gaming company any different? I'm sure if the hackers really wanted to, they'd hack the 360 as well. But since the 360 seems to be everybody's love child, and probably the hackers too, they aren't going to do it lawl.

I hope they prove me wrong.. I'd like to have my fun in bashing as well! Microsoft deserves it just as much as Sony.

Microsoft never sold me anything and then at a later point in time tried to take it away.

What's there to elaborate? A console is a closed system and you hack it at your own risk. Unlike PC's, consoles are still the manufacturers responsibility and they still dictate what software goes in it. When your action catches up to you, your reaction is to hurt everyone else?

Sony will not go out of business, they have other product divisions, the people making the policies will still be there and the reasoning behind their policies will still hold, and if the gaming division were to shut down, the only ones hurt will be the millions of customers and the employees that had nothing to do with it.

There's nothing robinhood about this. Rather than steal from the Sheriffs coffers, they attack the sherrifs bank, and steal citizens gold instead.

If it had been an attack on the Sony executives and/or Sony itself, i'd have a different opinion on it, it'll still be limited to a corporate/private issue. But millions of people as collateral damage, for the sake of stroking a few dozen egos? There's absolutely nothing justifying that.

At worst, the hackers will actually be taken seriously and the politicians will take them as a threat. Up to this point, they've just been nuisances, but when you have potentially millions of american dollars about to be moved out of the system in the form of stolen credit cards, they will take notice. If Bill Gates suddenly had his billions disappear, you can bet uncle sam will take a healthy interest in getting all that potential tax dollars back (Especially in a capitalism based economy like the US). This issue will just be another nail in the coffin of free internet.

I love all these people that act like they could be doing so much better of a job at fixing these security issues than Sony is. If you're so great, why aren't you working on fixing things rather than bashing them on a forum?

As people have been saying, this could have happened to anybody. If these attacks were directed towards Microsoft/Xbox Live, there's no way to say it'd be any different.

Someone is upset they can't log into PSN. :p

What's there to elaborate? A console is a closed system and you hack it at your own risk. Unlike PC's, consoles are still the manufacturers responsibility and they still dictate what software goes in it. When your action catches up to you, your reaction is to hurt everyone else?

I'd agree with you, except Sony disabled Other OS. Some people bought the console for that reason, or it was the deciding factor between a PS3 and an X360. It was part of the product they purchased. I realize piracy hurts Sony, but it's up to them to secure themselves against pirated software *without* disabling features people paid for.

What Sony should have done, is just stop selling the OtherOS feature altogether, however those that purchased it before it stopped being sold to be "grandfathered" in.

Here's an example for you: Hardware store ABC sells crowbars (PS3 with other OS). Later on, hardware store ABC gets broken into (piracy of Sony PS3 games). Hardware store ABC can't jsut come to your house and take the crowbar you purchased away (disabling OtherOS), just because someone ,somewhere used a crowbar to break into their store. They have no right to modify or otherwise inhibit the crow bars operation. They can stop sellign crowbars (don't sell any new PS3s with OtherOS), but as for the crowbars you've already sold, it's too late for that one, the deals ahve been done At this point it's up to hardware store ABC to secure their stores from crowbar attacks (other methods of game authenticity) *without* doing anything to the actual owners crowbars (your PS3).

To me what Sony did with OtherOS is theft, and criminal. If peopel ahve to hack and break the Sony console to regain functionality they alreay paid for, so be it. If it screws Sony along the way, tough break for them. If they were't so pompous to begin with, this wouldn't have happend. They made their bed, now they can sleep in it.

Fuck them, they are little better than trash. The continued attacks prove it. They are doing to do it. It's not about protecting pansy ass Geohotz, it's about showing how powerful they are. They are no better than vandals at this point. I say this, while at the same time knowing Sony is a pile of shit as well

Keep going until they think they have won? BS, they can't win, they can only fuck it up for everyone else. I don't care how you see it, the government, and average people will see this as terrorism. They are going to be the excuse needed by the politicians to get the people to allow them full control of the internet. We will end up with a locked down, censored, internet that gets shut down every time some one makes a foul remark regarding some mega corp or political leader.

I can't stand when people try to romanticize these craptards. These people are not Robin Hoods.

so it's ok for a company, to say, we'll you can put different O.S on there, and then go back on there word? and say we'll changed our mind, you cant put a different O.S on there now? after you paid for a product. that was allowing you to put a different O.S., that is not right.

Sony made alot of people unhappy because of that, so people wanna stand up to a company for that? and they are looked down on?

So i guess if the government take's our right's away? ,And we stand up to them. WE will be looked down on? thats just bullshit. wake up and open your eyes. stop being scared of the government. you just think the government can do what ever they want because you allow them to. :rolleyes:

This is really an ideological war between consumers (average people) and corporations. In today's world large corporations are, and I use this term loosely, quasi-governments. I say this because they have an inappropriate amount of influence and control over the policies that affect our lives.

Until recently the worst you could do was do strip down naked, paint on some chicken blood and protest at corporate headquarters. Now, people of the same bent have a tool that allows much greater mayhem. There will always be a mentality that wants to 'stick it to the man', and in some cases it is a healthy thing for our society. As others have said though,there is likely to be some blow back from the powers that be if this goes on too long.

Either way, this is a fight that will not end, just change in tactics. Its all about privilege, power, ego and control ... from Mega corporations to Mom's basement.

To all you folks who keep crying about how if the hackers really wanted to make a point, they'd hit Sony personally (employees, etc) instead of the consumer....

Get out of your fantasy world.

These chain of events have hurt Sony so much worse then if someone had kidnapped some random employees family member or murdered a Sony CEO. This is a very public company, who's (nearly) entire business revolves around customer trust and brand loyalty. Both which have become very rare commodities to Sony...

If you still want to stand by their products... then do so like the blind zealot that you are.

Same can be said for people who hate their products, you're not special. You're not unique in your "purchases". Hahaha.

I'm getting pretty tired of all of this. I just want to be able to get on and play games. Instead of stickin' it to "the man", these hackers are stickin' it to us. Enough already. This is Sony right now, and everyone is acting like it could only happen to Sony. What happens when they get bored of Sony or wants another challenge and goes for XBOX Live? I'd imagine you can get a lot more users' info from there then PSN users.

lol, this isn't like some console fanboy war hackers are having. You need to give most hackers a strong motivation in order to waste their time doing something like this- this isn't something that they just do a few hours and "boom" they hacked them.

So whats stopping hackers from doing this to other companies? Motivation.

This is similar to when HBGary tried to go after anon- it didn't end well.

exactly, it is all about profit, i do enjoy people who think that X company actually gives a rats butt about them and their money... :rolleyes:

This is the same lame argument that I hear ever day. Ok, quick lesson in business 101. Customers are good for your business. Every business is motivated to keeping and growing its customer base. The "care" that a company shows to maintain and grow said customer base is how much they give a "RATS ASS" about them. Whether it's PR, good business sense, or whatever you want to call it, the motivation is the same but the care shown towards its customer base is what sets them apart. The reason why Sony is getting hammered right now by its customers (not its fanbois) is because they have the same attitude as their fanbois about what constitutes good customer service. You slap fanbois around they will come back and suck Sony's ****, CUSTOMERS won't and don't. Just because people are ok with being in abusive relationships, doesn't make it right.

Whether its PR? Seriously? PR means jack, most businesses don't care about the consumer. If any other large company gets targeted, you're in for a rude awakening.

Whether its PR? Seriously? PR means jack, most businesses don't care about the consumer. If any other large company gets targeted, you're in for a rude awakening.

Sadly it's you who is in for a rude awakening. You are having a hard time grasping the most important rule of business that customers are good for business. I have worked for companies large and small, have had 60 employees of my own business, and now am happy to be self-employed without any employees but the one thing that true with every single one of these businesses is that customers are good to have, mkay?

No shit customers are good to have, money is still the bottom line for large companies and share holders. And if a company can nickel and dime you (Microsoft) they'll do it.

Rude rude awakening indeed. I'm done, have fun grasping at straws.

No shit customers are good to have, money is still the bottom line for large companies and share holders. And if a company can nickel and dime you (Microsoft) they'll do it.

Rude rude awakening indeed. I'm done, have fun grasping at straws.

LOL, have a good day and please don't forget take your meds. /ignored

so it's ok for a company, to say, we'll you can put different O.S on there, and then go back on there word? and say we'll changed our mind, you cant put a different O.S on there now? after you paid for a product. that was allowing you to put a different O.S., that is not right.

Sony made alot of people unhappy because of that, so people wanna stand up to a company for that? and they are looked down on?

So i guess if the government take's our right's away? ,And we stand up to them. WE will be looked down on? thats just bullshit. wake up and open your eyes. stop being scared of the government. you just think the government can do what ever they want because you allow them to. :rolleyes:

My eyes are open, and pie in the sky, fight the man, stupidity will not change what is going on here. Besides, I am not defending Sony's actions when it comes to the virtually unused other OS feature, or the Gehotz case, or their stupid DRM, or attempting to force the Blueray standard, or any number of things Sony has done, that I consider, wrong. I am merely condemning the actions of hactivists/terrorists/script kiddies, and other basement dwellers that somehow believe they have the right to destroy, and muck up whatever they please, and act like it is some kind of justice, because they are butt hurt. Jailbreak your personal console all you want, help others that want to jailbreak theirs all you want, I can defend that, but leave the other people that just want to use PSN alone. The people that use PSN are the ones suffering here.

Besides, there are legal remedies to the other OS problem. Ever hear of class action? Odoriferous, I know, but it is available, and while it may do less to punish Sony than this, at least those harmed receive some recompense. As it is, Sony's victims are now just being further victimized by other parties. If you want to pretend that is not happening then I believe you might have the reality distortion capacity to white wash a turd pie.

Stick it to the man my ass, more like sticking it to their fellow man.

My eyes are open, and pie in the sky, fight the man, stupidity will not change what is going on here. Besides, I am not defending Sony's actions when it comes to the virtually unused other OS feature, or the Gehotz case, or their stupid DRM, or attempting to force the Blueray standard, or any number of things Sony has done, that I consider, wrong. I am merely condemning the actions of hactivists/terrorists/script kiddies, and other basement dwellers that somehow believe they have the right to destroy, and muck up whatever they please, and act like it is some kind of justice, because they are butt hurt. Jailbreak your personal console all you want, help others that want to jailbreak theirs all you want, I can defend that, but leave the other people that just want to use PSN alone. The people that use PSN are the ones suffering here.

Besides, there are legal remedies to the other OS problem. Ever hear of class action? Odoriferous, I know, but it is available, and while it may do less to punish Sony than this, at least those harmed receive some recompense. As it is, Sony's victims are now just being further victimized by other parties. If you want to pretend that is not happening then I believe you might have the reality distortion capacity to white wash a turd pie.

Stick it to the man my ass, more like sticking it to their fellow man.

Fair enough explanation of where you're coming from. Sony isn't the victim in this as you put it nicely, the fellow man is. There is some glee to be had at the trouble that this is causing Sony, but the ends do not justify the means in this case.

go robin hood!

There is nothing Robin Hood about this, they charged some guy a crap load of Yen on his account, sure as hell ain't going to the poor (maybe some students, that blew their grant loan on crap), it's beyond trying to prove a point, it's now just malicious.

Thanks Anon, your truly proving your wankers of the World Wide Web, go play around with MS, we'll see how long people praise your antics when you bring down XBL for a month.

this has nothing to do with PSN people get over it. I'm sure there were another hyundred or so websites hacked too, just like there are everyday, including government sites with real sensitive data, nothing on the internet will ever be safe. As long as there are criminals out there they will breal any security given time. Microsoft products are hacked everyday why do you think thetrelease so many security patches as soon as one is released its broken. it took 5 years before the ps3 was hacked xbox live had a major break in , in2 007 yet every one seems to have forgotten that one. Its not just Sony its any company that has a web presence I think hard ocp wa s e ven violated before .

the Sony terms of use which we al agreed to when we used the PS# state that Sony may modify or discontinue any service or feature at its disgression , so they are entirely with in there rights to do as they please with thier products and people do not have a right to launch criminal attacks just because they disagree.I don't know anyone who bought a ps3 to use linux a cheap pc is a better choice always for that,it wasa nice to have feature that Sony realized left them open to pirating so they eliminated it which is both legal and a smart thing to do, it really only pissed the criminal element who wanted to exploit it off. the ps3 is a game and entertainment console for Petes sake which it does very well. these hackers are plain and simply criminals who deserve the maximum punishment when caught which will happen, most every major hacker has been caught sooner or later . I doubt theres any loyalty among these people and for the right reward someone will talk. a nice 20 or so years in a federal pen suits them.

To all you folks who keep crying about how if the hackers really wanted to make a point, they'd hit Sony personally (employees, etc) instead of the consumer....

Get out of your fantasy world.

These chain of events have hurt Sony so much worse then if someone had kidnapped some random employees family member or murdered a Sony CEO. This is a very public company, who's (nearly) entire business revolves around customer trust and brand loyalty. Both which have become very rare commodities to Sony...

If you still want to stand by their products... then do so like the blind zealot that you are.

I don't care about Sony, i don't care about OSes, i don't care about console games. What i do care about is how this affects the rest of us.

Your fantasy is typical of the cowboy mentality. Ride into town, shoot the preceived bad guys, f*ck the girl, and ride off into the sunset. Skipping over the fact that half the town is destroyed, livestocks are gone, and leaving a previously 'nice' girl with a bastard child.

So trampling over millions of innocents, that have no beef, just to get at a handful of people, is your idea of justice? Not in the real world.

If you're unhappy with the service, go ahead and slug it out, but don't involve the rest of us.

So trampling over millions of innocents, that have no beef, just to get at a handful of people, is your idea of justice? Not in the real world.

If you're unhappy with the service, go ahead and slug it out, but don't involve the rest of us.

You're already involved. By having no reaction, and in some cases supporting Sony abusing consumer rights (I'm referring to the who cares if Sony turns off the OtherOS feature you paid for, it doesn't effect me crowd), you are joining with them.

You're either part of the problem, or you're part of the solution. If you won't stand up/support other peoples rights, don't cry when yours get bowled over.

You're already involved. By having no reaction, and in some cases supporting Sony abusing consumer rights (I'm referring to the who cares if Sony turns off the OtherOS feature you paid for, it doesn't effect me crowd), you are joining with them.

You're either part of the problem, or you're part of the solution. If you won't stand up/support other peoples rights, don't cry when yours get bowled over.

The typical 'if you're not with us, you're against us' argument too? Dude! They screwed over several million people that are perfectly happy with their consoles! Why do you keep glossing over that fact?

The typical 'if you're not with us, you're against us' argument too? Dude! They screwed over several million people that are perfectly happy with their consoles! Why do you keep glossing over that fact?

yes and those people are going to "keep getting screwed over" as a result of Sonys reaction.

the xbox 360 was hacked enough to play pirated games (for the most part not counting jtag) and thats where alot of people who were trying to hack it stopped as that was the "end game" so to speak. when Sony removed otheros they pissed off alot of linux junkies and this is what happens when you do that.

if you dont like it there is really nobody to blame but Sony. They were the ones with gimpy protections in place that didnt protect their customers and their service. Getting mad at someones "cowboy mentality" isnt going to change the fact that Sony are the ones who stuck the stick into the hornets nest and stirred it up. Now as you mention there are millions getting stung as a result. Yet you blame the hornets and not Sony?

Its a classic people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones situation. Just replace glass house with terrible security, and swap thrown stones with remove linux compatibility. If millions of people are unhappy with Sonys obvious inability to secure their networks they should use another product. Or whine on forums about how upset they are... I myself sold all my PS3's and moved on. If you dont want to thats your call, but dont be surprised when these type of attacks continue on for some time.

Oh wait. Your statement pretty much means 50 million satisfied customers are the problem instead of the few dozen that hacked it.

yes and those people are going to "keep getting screwed over" as a result of Sonys reaction.

the xbox 360 was hacked enough to play pirated games (for the most part not counting jtag) and thats where alot of people who were trying to hack it stopped as that was the "end game" so to speak. when Sony removed otheros they pissed off alot of linux junkies and this is what happens when you do that.

if you dont like it there is really nobody to blame but Sony. They were the ones with gimpy protections in place that didnt protect their customers and their service. Getting mad at someones "cowboy mentality" isnt going to change the fact that Sony are the ones who stuck the stick into the hornets nest and stirred it up. Now as you mention there are millions getting stung as a result. Yet you blame the hornets and not Sony?

Its a classic people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones situation. Just replace glass house with terrible security, and swap thrown stones with remove linux compatibility. If millions of people are unhappy with Sonys obvious inability to secure their networks they should use another product. Or whine on forums about how upset they are... I myself sold all my PS3's and moved on. If you dont want to thats your call, but dont be surprised when these type of attacks continue on for some time.

Actually, if you get a hornet infestation, you call in the exterminator.

Oh wait. Your statement pretty much means 50 million satisfied customers are the problem instead of the few dozen that hacked it.

if a few dozen could hack it that shows Sony is in error for having weak security. Why are those same dozen not hacking Xbox Live? It comes down to they are either unable to or do not want to do so. Either way its clear Sony are the ones who have singled themselves out with their buisness practices be it lame security or just pissing people off. We cannot expect everyone in the world to be moral upright citizens and these types of attacks are hardly new or unexpected. Any way you try to state what happend at the end of the day Sony was shown to be wholy unprepared for this in any way shape or form. IE not deserving of my buisness. Like I say if you like this kind of service carry on I wont stop you from using it... but theres a "few dozen" people who might.

Actually, if you get a hornet infestation, you call in the exterminator.

yes you do but Sony is so fucking clueless in this regard they dont know whats even stinging them. The exterminators they have called in havent dont alot of eradication either. As evidenced by these recent hacks.

Keep them coming. No matter what you choose to say the fact remains that Sony has failed on multiple levels at this point in time.

Back