Sony Gives In To Hackers

You think such a large company as Sony has the funds to increase their security over their network but yet again their network gets comprised.... again.

Really pissed off about The Interview not going to be released, so Sony decides to bow down to North Korea... North Korea is all tough with their idle threats and yet they can't do shit.

I think they're in a loose loose situation. People jump on them for not releasing the movie. If they go on and release the movie and there was an attack. They would be blasted for years to come.

Sony should release the movie in theaters worldwide except in the US :) where they should release it as VOD on PSN.

I'm bought an xbox one for christmas even though I was a big ps3 fan. Do not give in to these horrible people that continue to torture, massacre and do unimaginable things to their own people. What a sham. Dennis Rodman had his chance and he blew it.

going to need to update that anthem soon from land of the free and home of the brave to something else.

The worst part about this (besides the giving in) is that it shows we have no strong response for digital attacks. Be it that Sony is so sloppy that there is not much to trace or something else out of the FBI's control, they should say so instead of letting it appear as if this is going on and we can't do anything about it.

I read somewhere that what we need to fear is a hack attack coming from NK vs any other attack. I always thought that these guys were just not advanced enough to have the equipment to even pull this off. I guess I was wrong.

I think from a legal stand point they have a gun to their head.

If they release the movie and there is an attack, multi-million dollar lawsuits would surely follow.

If they don't release the movie, then people will bash them for their cowardliness.

However, there is a really opportunity here. EVERYONE is talking about this. You can't buy this kind of publicity. They need to release is straight to home for buy/rent at an inflated price.

I'll have to find the article again, but the FBI and the Cyber forensic team that Sony hired to investigate the attack has said that the malware used could easily circumvent about 90% of the security software/countermeasures in place today and was so aggressive it could likely even put certain world governments at risk. Also they said there was nothing Sony or anyone else (if the victim had not been sony) could have done to prevent this. I think that in it self is a much higher cause for concern rather than Sony not releasing the film.

My brother had said the same thing. The malware was quite advanced. Again, I found it hard to believe that NK has the know how to even do this.

I'll have to find the article again, but the FBI and the Cyber forensic team that Sony hired to investigate the attack has said that the malware used could easily circumvent about 90% of the security software/countermeasures in place today and was so aggressive it could likely even put certain world governments at risk. Also they said there was nothing Sony or anyone else (if the victim had not been sony) could have done to prevent this. I think that in it self is a much higher cause for concern rather than Sony not releasing the film.

What did everyone think would happen? Literally the movie is about assassinating the dictator of another country.

Whoever let James Franco and Seth Rogen have free reign is stupid.

I wonder since this is generating such a buzz, why not just release it out into the internet for free? Try stopping the internet.

So, Sony exposed it's tiny Balls and cancelled the release, which now also took away our ability to determine what Theater chains also have tiny Balls.

What has happened to this once neat frickin' company is a damn shame I tell ya.

My brother had said the same thing. The malware was quite advanced. Again, I found it hard to believe that NK has the know how to even do this.

Same, probly had help from the Chinese or someone else. If it was even NK at all.

So, Sony exposed it's tiny Balls and cancelled the release, which now also took away our ability to determine what Theater chains also have tiny Balls.

What has happened to this once neat frickin' company is a damn shame I tell ya.

What on earth does this have to do with reproduction?

This thread is full of sensible, pleasant to engage in conversation. However, it is sorely lacking in Dear Leader funnies.

Not sure if joking or serious. But I do think that 1) this movie would have done much better in the theater due to all the attention and 2) pulling it's plug will actually make people pirate it and yes, this is probably one of the rare cases where they WILL lose a lot of money to piracy.

Doesn't happen often, but there it is.

What they SHOULD do is offer a DRM free download of the movie for $5. I bet people would buy it and check it out.

They pulled it so there is no more money to lose then what was lost when they pulled it. You can't claim loses to piracy when you don't release the product to begin with. The lose was Sony's own decision.

This thread is full of sensible, pleasant to engage in conversation. However, it is sorely lacking in Dear Leader funnies.

Keeping that on the low low, don't want them to hack HardOCP Forums lol..

It sucks that the "terrorists have won", but the theaters and Sony are businesses - I don't expect them to stand up to anything that could open up a big-ass can of liabilities if something went down.

Something can always go wrong. It only takes one determine person to cause a great deal of damage and harm, only one. It only took the Two Tsarnaev Brothers to hurt a lot of people in Boston.

The motivation is the same, it always comes down to hate, religious, racial, sexual orientation, all just different flavors of intolerance and hate. So the risk is there in almost anything Hollywood releases. Every movie has the potential to motivate a Nazi or a Jew, an inbred Redneck or a Rump Ranger, the risk is always present and as long as Hollywood continues it's want to push people to examine the fringe and the status-quo the risk will remain.

What was different was this seems to have been initiated by a Nation State and the reply should have been offered by a Nation State. The White House should have called Japan and Sony and told them we got their back. The Bombers should have been fueled up and the Carriers should have been standing by. There should have been no doubt left in Kim's mind that should something happen and be traced back to North Korea that the response would be beyond anything they could endure.

We are still at war with North Korea. This is undisputed fact. The President doesn't even have to ask Congress in order to get things rolling again. In fact, an attack on South Korea or Japan would be all the provocation needed. The Korean War was actually a UN War so an attack on any UN Nation would work.

The crazy thing is that North Korea is also a member of the UN, so they are in fact at war with themselves :D

Something can always go wrong. It only takes one determine person to cause a great deal of damage and harm, only one. It only took the Two Tsarnaev Brothers to hurt a lot of people in Boston.

The motivation is the same, it always comes down to hate, religious, racial, sexual orientation, all just different flavors of intolerance and hate. So the risk is there in almost anything Hollywood releases. Every movie has the potential to motivate a Nazi or a Jew, an inbred Redneck or a Rump Ranger, the risk is always present and as long as Hollywood continues it's want to push people to examine the fringe and the status-quo the risk will remain.

What was different was this seems to have been initiated by a Nation State and the reply should have been offered by a Nation State. The White House should have called Japan and Sony and told them we got their back. The Bombers should have been fueled up and the Carriers should have been standing by. There should have been no doubt left in Kim's mind that should something happen and be traced back to North Korea that the response would be beyond anything they could endure.

We are still at war with North Korea. This is undisputed fact. The President doesn't even have to ask Congress in order to get things rolling again. In fact, an attack on South Korea or Japan would be all the provocation needed. The Korean War was actually a UN War so an attack on any UN Nation would work.

The crazy thing is that North Korea is also a member of the UN, so they are in fact at war with themselves :D

I was wondering why we didn't respond this way :confused:

Well, it sure does look like they are looking for it;

After a new wave of UN sanctions, on 11 March 2013, North Korea claimed that it had invalidated the 1953 armistice. On 13 March 2013, North Korea confirmed it ended the 1953 Armistice and declared North Korea "is not restrained by the North-South declaration on non-aggression". On 30 March 2013, North Korea stated that it had entered a "state of war" with South Korea and declared that "The long-standing situation of the Korean peninsula being neither at peace nor at war is finally over". Speaking on 4 April 2013, the U.S. Secretary of Defense, Chuck Hagel, informed the press that Pyongyang had "formally informed" the Pentagon that it had "ratified" the potential usage of a nuclear weapon against South Korea, Japan and the United States of America, including Guam and Hawaii. Hagel also stated that the United States would deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense anti-ballistic missile system to Guam, due to a credible and realistic nuclear threat from North Korea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War#United_Nations_response_.28July_.E2.80.93_August_1950.29

I think the UN should declare active war against North Korea, and then order UN Member State North Korea to assist with the invasion of itself :D

This is how Sony should have responded to the Korean hackers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEBL-k_vF0E

tom-cruise-thunder_l.jpg

Wow, great reading comprehension buddy

''late night'' = ''early morning'' really?
Way to go bro.

It sounds like you need to check this out, I think you'd do grrrrrrreat!

I should have changed the words so people outside of my line of work could understand, early mornings at my work, 10PM-6AM or 11PM-7AM.

And I'm not your "Bro"...Don't even know you :) Let's stay on topic

.. And the fourth option. Not out of possibility with Sony. They reedit the film. Remove North Korea and put in a fake country. Actors would rerecord audio dialogue, flags would be digitally altered. Some scenes reshot.

There's been a few movies that have done that type of post filming complete reworking.

They could eventually give us the "real" film in the form of a Director's Cut too...

Back