Sony GDM-FW900 - NIB

I wonder if everything will go through for the seller. His notes state:
Ships to:
Local pick-up only

Because it probably would cost prohibitively to ship. But how many rich people won't care and just bid anyway and then give the guy trouble for not shipping it to America or something? lol

Imagine if you bought it for 3 grand, it arrives, you plug it in, and it doesn't work >.<

I grew up using CRTs. They were nice but I prefer LCDs overall I think, especially once LCDs crept above 60hz as standard. I remember the transition period where schools and businesses would have a mix or CRTs and LCDs, and I always liked the picture and of LCDs, and didn't get the flicker eye-strain CRTs gave me.
Would like to see the FW900 in person though to see what the hype is all about!
Crazy to think such a relatively "old" monitor is so much "better" than anything we have today, still.

The listing was updated, if someone is willing to pay $lot$ the seller will ship it.

6.2 EDIT: Due to many questions about the shipping: I can ship worldwide, however the price reserve has to be met. Thanks for bidding.

I hope that reference to a reserve price doesn't mean the seller is offering to ship for no extra charge; because just sending that monster to London never mind New York would be obscene.

Honestly, I was never a fan of CRT. Yes, the motion clarity was nice, but the flicker gave me headaches and made it hard to use for long periods.

When I got my first LCD it looked like garbage (black crush, banding, viewing angles, etc.) but it was a huge win in comfort, I will never go back.

Then once you consider all the innovations in the last 20 years, higher resolution, higher refresh rates, ultrawide, variable refresh rate, HDR and higher bit-depth, motion smoothing and strobing, portrait mode, monitor arms and ergonomics, etc. using a CRT makes zero sense.
High end CRTs like fw900 had fast enough refresh for flicker to be a nonissue

Damn nice monitor, sold mine in 08 when it was giving the ghost on craigslist.

.........motion smoothing and strobing..........etc. using a CRT makes zero sense.

i would love to know a particular modern monitor model you are refering about, if really a modern monitor exists that produces a clear motion quality experience as a crt monitor at any refresh rate including 60hz, with same brightness (luminance) levels as a crt monitor at least (100-115 nits) while on their crt motion quality like strobing mode, with 0 strobe crosstalk (permament double images during motion at the top, botton or whole screen) at any refresh including 60hz, excelent color quality, not increasing input lag due to strobing, same flicker perseption as a crt at least on lower refreshes like 60hz while strobing, (from my personal testing modern monitor strobing flicker is notably worse than crts flicker, comparing both at same frecuency, forcing the user to use really high refresh rates on strobed modern ones to reduce flicker perception and hence requiering too high constant framerate to match refresh rate and produce a strutterless motion crts can at much lower refresh rates and hence much lower constant framerates thanks to their less agressive flicker against strobing flicker)........

those aspects are the main ones among many others that sadly to me eyes even in 2021 makes crt still vastly far superior on the motion handling qualty against any modern monitor i have heard - read - seen, and make me disagree crt monitors have finally zero sense even in 2021 (i truly wish your statement would be true).

Last edited:
If I was going to spend $4,000+ on a display, this is not what I'd buy.
I'm honestly not sure how I'd spend $4k on displays period.

Gaming system:
$1000i-1500sh - One of the upcoming 32" 4k/144 IPS displays for my main machines primary display.
$nothing - Any available option to replace the 20" 1200x1600 side displays on my main machine would be something of a downgrade. 16:10/9 displays would either be significantly taller or narrower than what they're replacing. As much as I'd like to replace my ~15 year old screens here there really aren't any good options.

work from home setup:
$500 x2 - a pair of 27" 4k/60 displays. Different use patterns from my gaming system so a pair of matched screens would work better, and I don't have room for 32s on this desk. Also zero need for high refresh/etc here.

Misc:
$500 - a 32" 4k/60 display for my KVM. This is pure budget burning, in any other circumstances I'd just use the 32" 4k/60 retired from my gaming setup; or buy a cheapo 32" 1080p. This screen's far enough from where I sit that the chunky pixels become a feature not a bug. Currently I'm using an old 2560x1600 screen at 1680x1050: I can't do full res because it needs DL-DVI for that, and for whatever reason Windows won't let me select 1920x1200 without a lot of hoop jumping that doesn't persist across reboots.

TV:
$0 - N/A I haven't owned a TV for somewhere between 10 and 15 years. If I did this would make a good money burn I guess.

Unspent:
$1000-1500 - downpayment on an RTX 4080 next year I guess.

i would love to know a particular modern monitor model you are refering about, if really a modern monitor exists that produces a clear motion quality experience as a crt monitor at any refresh rate including 60hz, with same brightness (luminance) levels as a crt monitor at least (100-115 nits) while on their crt motion quality like strobing mode, with 0 strobe crosstalk (permament double images during motion at the top, botton or whole screen) at any refresh including 60hz, excelent color quality, not increasing input lag due to strobing, same flicker perseption as a crt at least on lower refreshes like 60hz while strobing, (from my personal testing modern monitor strobing flicker is notably worse than crts flicker, comparing both at same frecuency, forcing the user to use really high refresh rates on strobed modern ones to reduce flicker perception and hence requiering too high constant framerate to match refresh rate and produce a strutterless motion crts can at much lower refresh rates and hence much lower constant framerates thanks to their less agressive flicker against strobing flicker)........

those aspects are the main ones among many others that sadly to me eyes even in 2021 makes crt still vastly far superior on the motion handling qualty against any modern monitor i have heard - read - seen, and make me disagree crt monitors have finally zero sense even in 2021 (i truly wish your statement would be true).

Yup, nothing I've tried to this day touches the FW900 for latency or motion. It's pretty much the best screen for gaming competitively but I am not in my early 20s anymore so I don't care haha.

It is more then good enough. All the benefits brought into by newer tech out weights 20 year old tube TVs. There is no comparison.
But the older stuff was actually made to be easily serviced but I'd rather not have a 200+ pound TV or monitor I don't want something like a TV that I can't move myself hell I can't even put my 12K (old one when they could actually do their rated and sometimes more BTU's) window rattler in by myself.

I’ve never owned one, but I was told it takes a few people to move. I would not be surprised if these weigh a couple hundred pounds given the size of the tube. That box has to be gigantic...

Hard to say, these things have long been called the “best display ever made”. You’d have to get a NIB like this or have one expertly refurbed but it would be cool to see a comparison done between a new high-end OLED and it.
I had one and I loved it. However, it's dated tech and you sacrifice a ton of modern features to go this path. In any capacity, it is not worth $5000. I got mine back in 2004 for $120 or so. Anything more than $300 is robbery.

Get an OLED.

Watching this go down makes me wish I never sold any of my decent to great crts.

Most of my CRTs were decent/good, nothing super high-end like FW900, but I looked a few up on ebay to see that they are all worth several hundred dollars or so (excluding shipping even).

It was back around 2010 I couldn't get rid of the 3-4 CRTs I still had in storage. I actually paid a couple bucks each to have them recycled. It kills me because I was so proud of myself for getting rid of some "junk" at the time and now I obviously feel like a jackass. Even more so since I find myself in the position of wanting to buy a good CRT for my retro system :(

Most of my CRTs were decent/good, nothing super high-end like FW900, but I looked a few up on ebay to see that they are all worth several hundred dollars or so (excluding shipping even).

It was back around 2010 I couldn't get rid of the 3-4 CRTs I still had in storage. I actually paid a couple bucks each to have them recycled. It kills me because I was so proud of myself for getting rid of some "junk" at the time and now I obviously feel like a jackass. Even more so since I find myself in the position of wanting to buy a good CRT for my retro system :(

If most people like us hadn't sent our CRTs off to be disposed of (I hesitate to say recycled knowing that the leaded glass making up most of their weight is sitting in warehouses because there's no use for it and no economical way to get the lead out to use the glass for something else), retro-computing nuts wouldn't have been able to bid the handful left in existence up so high.

I at least have no regrets. Mine was the cheapest 17" 1600x1200x60 capable monitor on pricewatch; and was retired when it started to fail. (Until it warmed up it would start drawing the top of the image before finishing its vertical reset leading to images that were "rolled over and down")

A year ago I saw someone put out a old tube tv on the side walk with a free written on it. I was like no one is going to take that shit. Sure enough it was gone when I came home from work.

A year ago I saw someone put out a old tube tv on the side walk with a free written on it. I was like no one is going to take that shit. Sure enough it was gone when I came home from work.
It was probably my friend. HAHA

We have a storage unit filled with CRTs. I have PVM, BVM, JVC D series, Sony Wega 320, and Sony 30 and 34 inch Widescreens 960s. Either free or paid less than $50.

The last CRT I had, which I tossed in the trash in 2008, was an NEC MultiSync. It was pretty top end, one the of the ones with a flat screen.

Definitely had some good times with that, but no way I would consider using a CRT today.

93 lbs I think. I had one and it's definitely possible to move around as a single person. Not easy, but not back-breaking either. In my opinion, as good as these monitors are, they're overrated to hell and back. YES - they're great! YES their blacks are wonderful. Yes, motion clarity is beautiful. But most newer monitors that fall short, don't fall short enough to justify the likely $3000+ price tag. If I had money to just piss away I'd totally get it. Since I don't, I pass.

And before anyone starts getting on to me about not calibrating, blah blah. I wrote a fricking guide to calibrating the thing. And have spent so many hours learning and honing the craft that I wouldn't be surprised if I'm nearing expert-level on knowing how. I calibrated mine so that it was better than from the factory. Anyways...

I will always have fond memories of my FW900 and have regrets of selling mine. But hey, that's life. No, I wouldn't pay anything for a NIB FW900 unless I had plans on recapping the boards. I think the safer buy would be something that has regular use, but not overuse. My opinion.
I think you have a neat perspective about the FW900 vs. new monitors. Everyone who sees the FW900 says the motion clarity is better than any LCD, but I think to myself, is it really true that we can't beat 20 year old technology with the best screens of today? I would love to see a comparison between the FW900 and some of the best LCD and OLED screens to see how big of a difference there is, especially when it comes to motion clarity and black levels. It would be awesome if Rtings or TFTCentral or Techspot would get an FW900 and test it so we could find out.

The listing just crossed $10k. It smells like bullshit bids territory at this point
This! I doubt the winner will actually come through with the funds also know as a Non paying bidder! I had this happen many times so much + the high eBay final value fee BS I don't sell there anymore also due to the fact a buyer can scam a seller and eBay does nothing for me the seller.

This! I doubt the winner will actually come through with the funds also know as a Non paying bidder! I had this happen many times so much + the high eBay final value fee BS I don't sell there anymore also due to the fact a buyer can scam a seller and eBay does nothing for me the seller.
Hard to say, people are nuts.

On the upside, the winner bidder can look forward to this:
Capture.PNG

Though something tells me that consolation gift won't cover the divorce fees when his wife realizes he spent 10k on a CRT...

These days I prefer LCD/Plasma/OLED for modern games and CRTs for retro games. For my retro setup I have a PVM 2950Q and my old consoles look incredible on it. Great colors, motion clarity, and scanlines. When it comes to modern games I like the pin sharp look you get with them on modern displays. As for the Sony FW900, I'd love to one day see it in action but no way I'd pay the prices it goes for.

I just got an RG280V for 16-bit retro titles. Still not CRT quality, but the small screen and lower resolution keeps the games looking authentic.

5k is insane. You cant get a high end crt projector for 1/2 that.

That's part of my day job. I'm so going to show my boss this and the NEC-XM29's current prices.

I think you have a neat perspective about the FW900 vs. new monitors. Everyone who sees the FW900 says the motion clarity is better than any LCD, but I think to myself, is it really true that we can't beat 20 year old technology with the best screens of today? I would love to see a comparison between the FW900 and some of the best LCD and OLED screens to see how big of a difference there is, especially when it comes to motion clarity and black levels. It would be awesome if Rtings or TFTCentral or Techspot would get an FW900 and test it so we could find out.
micro LED should fix motion clarity issues

Back