Sony GDM-F520 convergance issue

saintdev

n00b
I have a very strange convergance issue on my Sony GDM-F520 Trinitron monitor. It's almost like the cathode guns parallel are off.

Just testing using a black desktop, and my mouse cursor, I notice the following. In the upper left corner there's red shadow about 2px to the left of the cursor. In the lower left the blue is about 1px to the right of the cursor. In the upper right, the blue is about 1px to the left. And the lower right the red is about 2px to the left of the cursor. I've never seen anything like it before. Like I said it's almost like the red and blue guns have different parallel from the green gun. Any ideas on how I could fix this, or should I contact Sony?

Check the FW900 thread on how to get windas up and running. It will let you access all the hidden factory settings which includes a ton of convergence adjustments. My G520P had terrible convergence but with windas i was able to make it almost perfect.

Well the monitor is still under warranty, so I'd rather not open it up (and possibly void my warranty) if I can help it. Do you think that Sony will be able to fix this, or is it a common enough problem that even with them 'fixing' it I will still have problems?

Yes they could fix it, but they would also use windas and i've heard sometimes the technicians don't do a very good job. If you did it yourself you could spend more time on it than they would so your chances of acheiving perfect convergence would be higher. Plus wouldn't you have to pay to ship to them? Shipping isn't cheap for a 70 pound monitor and it could also get damaged.

It really is a good idea for anyone who owns a Sony CRT to get windas going since many problems can crop up over time and its very handy being able to fix them yourself. Your warranty won't last forever..

Back