Sony Expects To Hit PS3 Target

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony’s President Ryoji Chubachi told a group of reporters that the company could meet its sales goals of 2 million PS3s by the end of this year.

A slew of bad news for Sony this year including recalls of 9.6 million notebook computer batteries has brought its earnings strength under investor scrutiny, and the outlook for PS3 shipments has been closely watched after a production glitch.

Considering Sony's history, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dew said:
Considering Sony's history, I'll believe it when I see it.
I'll also believe it when I see it. Kind of hard to sell it if it's not available to consumers on store shelves eh...

wouldn't they have to actually release enough units to make their goal? what are they at now like 200k?.....

Hasn't the PS3 sold fewer than even 500K worldwide (worldwide being Japan and US/Canada), which would mean they would need some sort of miracle in the next 2 weeks?

Last i saw the number was around 600,000 and that was about a week or two ago. But i dont think they can meet anywhere near their actual goal.

Shava said:
Last i saw the number was around 600,000 and that was about a week or two ago. But i dont think they can meet anywhere near their actual goal.

I agree, it's very very hard to believe and with the recent PR track record, I would take anything from them with a fat grain of salt.

This would be possible if they actually had the inventory and didn't hype things with limited supply.

Sony EXPECTS a lot of things.

Sony expected UMD to be the media of the future
Sony expected memory sticks to be the preferred method of digital image storage
Sony expects blu-ray to conquer HD-DVD

If I had a nickel for every time I heard about something Sony expects ...well...I'd have a lot of nickels :)

If they bundle in a few free SACD's they'll sell like gang busters. Like John Tesh or something that all the kids listen to these days.

They are shipping 1m+ units in the next two weeks? Suuuuuuure.

So do the other 120+ companies involved with Blu-ray.

Love this new front page news comment forum. Something that was sorely missing. :D

I suppose these are worldwide numbers they are talking about?

Because 2 million units to just US and Japan... well, that would require them to recruit Santa, the Easter bunny, *and* Chuck Norris to get out there.

The Gonz said:
Sony EXPECTS a lot of things.

Sony expected UMD to be the media of the future
Sony expected memory sticks to be the preferred method of digital image storage

If I had a nickel for every time I heard about something Sony expects ...well...I'd have a lot of nickels :)

You missed the original. BetaMax

Sony has roughly 350,000 units on the market as of now. They have 2 and a half weeks to sell 1.7 million to get to the 2 million mark.

Aint gonna happen.

They aren't shipping to Europe until March, so it should just be North America and Japan numbers. I don't think they have shipped more than 500k to Japan yet, and that is probably about what they have sent to NA so far. They are at least consistently shipping consoles out each week, but that number still seems impossible.

But it did evolve into the industry standard for television for 20+ years because the quality was superior.

Plus you can't forget CD's and their part in that.

It's funny that they make these kinds of statements. Do they even think about or look at what has happened in the past? At least they are consistent.

reminds me of when Iraqi military officials were on the news stating there was no invasion of Iraq when you could hear the bombs falling from where he was standing.....

Sony just refuses to embrace reality

tim-bit said:
I'll also believe it when I see it. Kind of hard to sell it if it's not available to consumers on store shelves eh...

There's a couple of intermediary steps from Sony to the store shelf, which in itself makes it almost impossible.

Now on the other hand, if next week all retailers run the rebate deal like microcenter is, the 360 could do it.

Shava said:

Actually, as of *today* they've sold less than 450,000 worldwide (the aforementioned US and Japan).

I think one thing is *crystal* clear: If you can't even sell half a million consoles in almost 4 weeks, you sure as hell can't sell 1.5 million in *2*.

nobody_here said:
reminds me of when Iraqi military officials were on the news stating there was no invasion of Iraq when you could hear the bombs falling from where he was standing.....

Sony just refuses to embrace reality

Oh I LOVED that guy, he was freaking *hilarious*. There were US *Tanks* driving in the background a few hundred yards behind him and he STILL denied the presence of US forces in Baghdad. It was funny though, because he had this shit-eatin' grin on his face the whole time. He knew full well it was horseshit, he was just doing his job. They should give that guy his own talk show, hehe.

Now, as for Sony not embracing reality, you have to be kidding. They're the kings of reality, as evidenced by their above mentioned claim, in addition to the fact that people will ignore the Wii and wait for PS3 (can't you tell, man?! :) ).

If they have 1.7 million available in stores for the MSRP rather than $2177874923847293478328509325809 package with 5 games, I'm sure they would sell.

Well the PS3 is a turd and, nobody wants a turd in their stocking. I doubt the next gen numbers are acurate but, they probably reflect all the love for Sony.

Back