Sony Ends Production of Physical Vita Games

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While digital distribution will continue, Sony’s American and European branches have decided to cease production of Vita GameCards by the end of the year. Physical cartridges will still be produced in Japan, however: it is the one place where the handheld managed to find success.

It’s been a long, strange life for the PlayStation Vita, a system that launched here in 2012 with the slogan “console gaming on the go” but quickly lost ground to mobile and tablet gaming, along with the surge of Nintendo’s 3DS. Sony’s baffling decision to only support its expensive proprietary memory cards made the system pricier than it needed to be, and big studios quickly dropped support.

today i learned that they still make games for the vita and that they sell them as physical. Thought that sinking ship went under years ago.

Meh, I keep mine around for long flight when I want to jump into an old psx or ps2 game. Jailbroken Vita ain't so bad :)

Hm? Blu ray worked out great for them.

think you missed the point there. They were saying Sony should learn to stop making up new standards as they normally don't work out for them, however blu-ray did work out so as a result they won't learn to stop making up new media types.

Vita is nice for old psx/ps2 and jrpg games, i didn't buy too many physical games. Would be better if they expanded their library of legacy games (there are many that were released in japan but not over here), but they probably wont do that because they don't see it as profitable and they're pushing their streaming service.

People can dog the Vita all they way, but it was a fabulous piece of hardware. It sucked buying their memory cards, but everything else was fantastic.

Back