Sony Drops Out of E3 2019

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Sony told Game Informer that it is dropping out of E3 next year. The exact reasoning behind the decision was rather nebulous, as many PR statements are, but when asked if Sony would host an event off-site like EA has done in the past, they said "We will not activate or hold a press conference around E3." Sony also canceled their annual Playstation Experience event, and as of now, there's no publicly announced replacement to either event. In a separate press release, the ESA, which is behind the E3 Expo, published quotes of confidence from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Epic Games, and confirmed that Square Enix, Take-Two, Ubisoft and other industry giants will all be attending the event. Why Sony chose to drop out is anyone's guess, but Game Informer speculates that the news will "escalate the feeling among many that E3 has simply lessened in importance in recent years."

"PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can't wait to share our plans with you."

could just flat out be that they don't have anything of value to announce to make the cost of attending worth it.

Probably trying to keep current gen console sales high by not announcing anything until last minute. My guess is the PS5 isn't too far off but they want to keep it quiet until optimal sales time.

I'm not surprised. Sony's E3 show last year was an odd, low budget presentation. It was pretty clear that they had no interest in the traditional E3 spectacle, and this just furthers that mindset. And the reality is, I'm not sure it's bad call. Sony is unquestionably the market leader of this console generation. At this stage of the console life cycle, it's all about revenue from software sales, and being the leading platform they don't need to win anyone over to their side. They know their first party titles will sell themselves, and they can let the major third parties have their own events knowing that they will receive the lions share of sales without putting any effort into it just by having the largest install base.

When Sony has new hardware to push, I'm sure we'll see them back at E3 in full force. But late stage into a cycle that they've already dominated, why waste the cash?

If that is the case then why does MS still go every year? Thru never have anything worth showing.

at the rate they're buying up studio's right now they'll have plenty to show off.. especially the next Halo potentially coming out in 2019.

also agree both babe's were really the only reason for going there, rest of it is half ass marketing people that don't even know the shit they're trying to market.

Sonys mobile division is eating the gaming divisons profits last I heard. Hopefully PS5 announcement inbound as it will drive the whole market forward, Navi's first release?

My guess is they don’t want to repeat the same show they’ve put on the past 2-3 times. They’ve shown the same far off games quite a bit and now some of those games have released annnnd....well what’s next to show? People are real whiny about early teasers these days. They like coming in <1 year announcements. Play upcoming news close to the chest.

I could also see Sony taking a page out of Nintendo’s book and doing their own sort of “Sony Direct” for just small personal announcements and gameplay trailers. Just a couple developers and reporters talking to a camera and showing off the game. Not really low budget but not high budget either, and it gets the relevant information out. Super fucking simple to view on the Switch also, which helps.

Because PS5 in 2020. All their energy is going into that launch and ensuring they also trounce the nextgen. And because Sony won this gen. No juice in yet another victory lap.

Other companies (MS, EA) had been holding their presentations off premises anyway, so now with Sony gone, the E3 hall may seem a little empty without any of the titans.

Last edited:
Is it that we're pinning for video gaming's heydays because they really were better days, or that the fog of time has left us with fond memories? I certainly don't remember all of the corporate garbage we see now, but probably because I was young and naive. Also I didn't have access to all of this information.

Well I hope the PS5 pushes the envelope for better games for the PC. I would never buy one because Deep Down never came out on the PS4.

Current rumors
MSRP: $500
VR: Built in
Hardware: Ryzen 8
4K/60FPS Standard
Dualshock 5: Camera built in for VR
Release Date: 2020
Launch Titles: The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding

Maybe they realized just how inferior consoles are to the PC master race and are admitting defeat.

at the rate they're buying up studio's right now they'll have plenty to show off.. especially the next Halo potentially coming out in 2019.

also agree both babe's were really the only reason for going there, rest of it is half ass marketing people that don't even know the shit they're trying to market.
MS been buying up devs since the original Xbox. They have nothing to show for it. The MO for them been buy a upstart Dev then shut it down after 1 or 2 game releases that don't meet their expectations band shut it down. Halo is not a system seller since bungie broke off.

Current rumors
MSRP: $500
VR: Built in
Hardware: Ryzen 8
4K/60FPS Standard
Dualshock 5: Camera built in for VR
Release Date: 2020
Launch Titles: The Last of Us 2 and Death Stranding
Eh it needs to be $400. Rereleases for launch titles no thanks.

Shame. I always liked the lack of theatrics and marketing assholes on stage at Sony' conference compared to others.

Don't need insider information to know that they're planning a PS5 reveal after this news.

He revealed that they would decline E3 before Sony made their announcement.

Eh it needs to be $400. Rereleases for launch titles no thanks.

I just don't think consoles can survive in this environment at $400, it creates too many hardware limitations. 30 FPS 1080p doesn't cut it these days. Give me a $500 console that will last me the full 6+ years without needing a gap upgrade.

Playstation has been releasing phenomenal single player experience games, I think I'll just have to trust them here. Hopefully that means ps5 in the next few years?

Playstation has been releasing phenomenal single player experience games, I think I'll just have to trust them here. Hopefully that means ps5 in the next few years?
Hopefully it means the platform is bankrupt and they are migrating over to join the PC Master Race. I want those sweet sweet exclusives.

Maybe they where going to make some big mobile announcements and thought better of it?

They will show Age of Empires this year for sure.

MS been buying up devs since the original Xbox. They have nothing to show for it. The MO for them been buy a upstart Dev then shut it down after 1 or 2 game releases that don't meet their expectations band shut it down. Halo is not a system seller since bungie broke off.

This is deadly accurate, though nothing-to-show-for may be a bit harsh. But all their studio acquisitions haven't appeared to translate meaningfully into addressing their still-bleeding firstparty problem. Putting a new set of treads on the Xbox One and calling it the X also didn't vault many gamers over the fascination threshold since MS couldn't be bothered to mark the occasion with a killer new exclusive, and the drip-feed of backward compatibility titles seemed to just become a poor substitute for having a platform when considered in retrospect.

Phil Spencer has been out to sea for his entire tenure, despite the signs of life he shows in interviews and live presentations like he knows better. Maybe Xbone X2 will see a return to critical firstparty exclusives beyond Halo-something-something and Forza-8,9,coma.

Last edited:
Hopefully it means the platform is bankrupt and they are migrating over to join the PC Master Race. I want those sweet sweet exclusives.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I don't think all those wonderful exclusives would exist without PlayStation. I think Sony would rather let SIE die than start investing in PC games again.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I don't think all those wonderful exclusives would exist without PlayStation. I think Sony would rather let SIE die than start investing in PC games again.
Probably. But it is sort of a packaged-deal type of hope. Mostly, I just want access to the exclusives on PC. No real ill-will towards our lesser brethren on console.

Back