Sony Confirms 40GB PS3 and 60GB Price Cut

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
*updated...oops only UK stuff

Looks like Sony confirmed rumors of the 40GB model but as of right now it is only going to the UK with the price $299GBP.
(This model only has 2 USB ports, no Memory stick reader and is not backwards compatible with PS2 or PS1 titles.)
I am not sure how not being backwards compatible will effect it, as I know lots of people do like that feature, but I really have no idea how spread out that need really is.

The 60GB model is getting a $50 dollar cut down to $349 GBP right now.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825213p1.html

------------------------

But I guess, to bring up US price cut rumors, this hopefully this is a sign that SCEA will lower costs before the holidays to say $399??
Even though I already own one I think it will be good for competition.

No U.S. price cut according to that article... VERY lame!

I don't know how likely another price cut is here this year. The 40GB version is stripped of features and that helps reduce the production cost of the system. Also, it as the producer of any product, it doesn't make you look good if the price of your product drops like a rock in the face of competition so soon after it releasing.

I think the 40GB version is a scary proposition in the first place. Since PS3s are supposed to be great Blu-Ray players (I don't use mine as one), some people might pick up the just for that and its all the better for them that it was stripped down for a lower price. That drops the attachment rate of the console and scares developers.

Just for you US types, the 40gb PS3 is €399 which is about $550. I wouldn't hold your breath for another price drop.

it won't be a direct conversion to USD.

demand is much higher here in the states

zero backward compatability. Not just software emulation...zero. That's pretty weak :(

No BC is really lame. The 360 requires a HDD for the emulation files and it's not quite as powerful as the PS3 in just raw terms and it has a huge library of BC games thru software emulation. I really don't see how/why they don't have it even just as a software emulation!

I don't know how likely another price cut is here this year. The 40GB version is stripped of features and that helps reduce the production cost of the system. Also, it as the producer of any product, it doesn't make you look good if the price of your product drops like a rock in the face of competition so soon after it releasing.

I think the 40GB version is a scary proposition in the first place. Since PS3s are supposed to be great Blu-Ray players (I don't use mine as one), some people might pick up the just for that and its all the better for them that it was stripped down for a lower price. That drops the attachment rate of the console and scares developers.

Whats funny is Sony is stripping a gaming machine down making it more suitable for people looking to it for non gaming functionality.

Talk about pushing your own format.

I don't think it will, but GOD, I hope blu ray fails just to spite Sony.

Whats funny is Sony is stripping a gaming machine down making it more suitable for people looking to it for non gaming functionality.

Talk about pushing your own format.

I don't think it will, but GOD, I hope blu ray fails just to spite Sony.

It is funny, but Sony has a price floor that they have to play with. If they do, then it becomes an attractive Blu-Ray player again. They are too expensive for Sony to produce to have them sold as just Blu-Ray players. Kind of an odd dynamic thrown in into the equation.

The cheapest Blu-Ray player on Amazon in Germany is €520 (happens to be offered by Sony). Most of Sony's Blu-Ray players are higher, with the next one above their cheapest at €1.032. Now if the PS3 is supposed to be one of the best Blu-Ray players out there, what would you buy if you were looking to buy a Blu-Ray player? Also consider that the PS3 is probably the only Blu-Ray player that you will see that pops up on the used market so soon for a good discount.

Am I off in my numbers at all or is Sony introducing a PS3 at €120 cheaper than their cheapest standalone Blu-Ray player?

Wow, I had pegged the "No BC *AT ALL*" rumor as complete and utter bullshit. I am seriously STUNNED that they've done this.

I guess it just goes to show MS DOES have the better software engineers, as Xbox 360 never had any of the Xbox 1 hardware to begin with and yet still manages a decent, if stunted, level of BC.

*Un*believable.

No backwards capability?

Sony has a bunch of retards running their company. My god.

I think there is a level of thinking there.

Early adopters are gonna be the gamers that love playing all their old PS2 games.
People now, even if it doesn't feel that way on this forum, probably use BC very little if at all really. I mean I use it for maybe 5-6 games and I consider myself a pretty avid gamer.

If Sony said hey either have BC for $120 dollars more or no BC for $120 less I would almost 100% surely go for the $120 less system.
Why??? THIS IS WHY...haha.
But it looks like only a $50 GBP savings...which is what? $102 bucks

That said, I can't see why not have at least software emulation, I don't see how a company would save money removing software emulation....unless I am missing something.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think there is a level of thinking there.

Early adopters are gonna be the gamers that love playing all their old PS2 games.
People now, even if it doesn't feel that way on this forum, probably use BC very little if at all really. I mean I use it for maybe 5-6 games and I consider myself a pretty avid gamer.

If Sony said hey either have BC for $120 dollars more or no BC for $120 less I would almost 100% surely go for the $120 less system.
Why??? THIS IS WHY...haha.
But it looks like only a $50 GBP savings...which is what? $102 bucks

That said, I can't see why not have at least software emulation, I don't see how a company would save money removing software emulation....unless I am missing something.

I agree, but when Sony was raving about the importance of 100% BC and saying that Playstation would always be backward compatible (Ken Kutaragi said in no uncertain terms, "the format will continue forever"), and slamming Microsoft for their limited BC, neither you nor others on this and many other forums would let go of the BC issue whatsoever. When others pointed out that it's a pointless or at least only moderately important feature, the fanboys raved about how great Playstation was with its alleged 100% BC (which was never really the case of course) and how gimped the Xbox 360 was because it only had limited BC.

Now comes PS3 Gimped Edition, with *zero* BC...and suddenly you're all on the "well, it wasn't that important anyway" bandwagon. I smell two things here, hypocrisy on the part of the fanboys, and *Desperation* on the part of Sony.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree, but when Sony was raving about the importance of 100% BC and saying that Playstation would always be backward compatible (Ken Kutaragi said in no uncertain terms, "the format will continue forever"), and slamming Microsoft for their limited BC, neither you nor others on this and many other forums would let go of the BC issue whatsoever. When others pointed out that it's a pointless or at least only moderately important feature, the fanboys raved about how great Playstation was with its alleged 100% BC (which was never really the case of course) and how gimped the Xbox 360 was because it only had limited BC.

Now comes PS3 Gimped Edition, with *zero* BC...and suddenly you're all on the "well, it wasn't that important anyway" bandwagon. I smell two things here, hypocrisy on the part of the fanboys, and *Desperation* on the part of Sony.

Dont forget trolling by the DMA!!! Way to keep your rep going.

They give people the option who dont care about BC a cheap alternative. I see no problem with that. Only PS2 game ive played on my ps3 is GT4. I personally could care less about BC and im sure many others would either.
Its a very cheap BD player now that plays games.

The backwards compatibility for the PS1 and PS2 wasn't that big of a deal. The great benefit of BC on the PS3 was you got to play all your old game with upconversion (which actually works fairly well to improve quality).

Sucks that Sony makes you pay so much extra for that feature.

And I was one of the people who blew off the rumor of no BC in the 40GB :(

No U.S. price cut according to that article... VERY lame!

There is already information on an FCC filing for a new PS3 SKU for the N. American market. The 40gb is coming over here also, it's just not officially announced yet. I'll bet anyone $100 via paypal, there will be a price cut before Christmas, most likely before Black Friday. As for the BC, it's not an important feature. Market research shows less than 10% ever make use of it. If it's that important to someone, they can buy a 60gb model.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-holiday-makeover-399-ps3-rumor-has-legs.html

http://realdealgaming.blogspot.com/2007/09/399-40gb-ps3-to-be-released-on-oct-30th.html

Dont forget trolling by the DMA!!! Way to keep your rep going.

They give people the option who dont care about BC a cheap alternative. I see no problem with that. Only PS2 game ive played on my ps3 is GT4. I personally could care less about BC and im sure many others would either.
Its a very cheap BD player now that plays games.

Ah yes, because observing something that happened for real--Sony and their fanboys ripping 360 six ways 'til Sunday over their limited backward compatibility--and noticing that now they're OK with even MORE gimped BC now that the shoe is on the other foot--is clearly trolling.

You're a disgrace to anyplace where people hold intelligent discussions, and clearly the KING of the PS3 fanboy trolls here and on god knows how many other forums.

There is already information on an FCC filing for a new PS3 SKU for the N. American market. The 40gb is coming over here also, it's just not officially announced yet. I'll bet anyone $100 via paypal, there will be a price cut before Christmas, most likely before Black Friday. As for the BC, it's not an important feature. Market research shows less than 10% ever make use of it. If it's that important to someone, they can buy a 60gb model.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/pos...-holiday-makeover-399-ps3-rumor-has-legs.html

http://realdealgaming.blogspot.com/2007/09/399-40gb-ps3-to-be-released-on-oct-30th.html

And as I pointed out before, when MS and the Xbots said BC was no big deal, Sony and all their trolls (you and 4Saken, with 4saken revealing it was in fact *reason* that has forsaken him) jeered, cajoled and raised 6 kinds of hell to the effect that 360 was gimped, BC was critical, blah, blah, blah. Take a look through the forum history and you can see it for yourself, we all know it's the truth.

My point and comment: It's HILARIOUS that both Sony and the fanboy trolls are now doing a complete 180 on the BC issue as Sony scrambles in *stinky desperation* to move a few more units.

Watch as they confuse and piss off the average consumer--and pay the price in units unsold.

And as I pointed out before, when MS and the Xbots said BC was no big deal, Sony and all their trolls (you and 4Saken, with 4saken revealing it was in fact *reason* that has forsaken him) jeered, cajoled and raised 6 kinds of hell to the effect that 360 was gimped, BC was critical, blah, blah, blah. Take a look through the forum history and you can see it for yourself, we all know it's the truth.

You're full of it. I never said anything to the effect that BC is "critical" or that is was a major con against the X360. You sound like a bigot.

Obfuscate and deflect all you want. BC doesn't matter a hill of beans to the mass consumer market.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031382719&postcount=15

:rolleyes:

Ah yes, because observing something that happened for real--Sony and their fanboys ripping 360 six ways 'til Sunday over their limited backward compatibility--and noticing that now they're OK with even MORE gimped BC now that the shoe is on the other foot--is clearly trolling.

Just like the Xbox fanboys ripping Nintendo about no HD and the such then going back and agreeing it was about the gameplay when it was discovered that Halo 3 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for HD and supports no AA.

You're a disgrace to anyplace where people hold intelligent discussions, and clearly the KING of the PS3 fanboy trolls here and on god knows how many other forums.

It's apparent to me why you got banned from the Anandtech forums, keep it up

Did you guys catch the other part of this news?

After the 60GB models run out in Europe, the 40GB is going to be the only SKU there. So, there will be no option for BC at all in Europe.

Still, I think the biggest problem for the PS3 is that it will again be below the price of the cheapest Blu-Ray player there. This will cause their already low attachment rate to take another hit.

Maybe. But there's 120 million people out there with PS2s that might have liked to have dumped their console and played upscaled PS2 games on the PS3. Sony have always said BC is critical so it seems odd to go back on this now.

There's no denying BC is better than no BC. Who wants less features ? But I think you're overestimating the importance. Especially if dropping it on the "value" SKU lets them sell at retail for cheaper. As for their prior comments, I have to laugh when people try to deconstruct corporate PR talk. Of course they're going to play up any advantage they have against a competitor, and when that advantage is lost, downplay its significance. It's just business.

Any large company has such inconsistencies. Just a month before MS announced the $1 billion dollar RROD write off, they were claiming there were no abnormal failure rates and denied any problems. MS talked about how vista was going to change PC gaming and be much more efficient etc etc. Here we are almost a year later and most games still run better on XP. I'm not touching vista until it's had at least one service pack. But if I listened to MS, I should have jumped on it from day #1. Remember every corporation's primary goal is to make money. You have to take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

You're full of it. I never said anything to the effect that BC is "critical" or that is was a major con against the X360. You sound like a bigot.

Obfuscate and deflect all you want. BC doesn't matter a hill of beans to the mass consumer market.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031382719&postcount=15

:rolleyes:

LOL, yet another example of how poorly educated you are. A bigot? Please. The only peeps "obfuscating and deflecting" here are you Sony fanboys. You're exactly like Xbox 360 and Nintendo fanboys: a sad joke.

I've said COUNTLESS times that BC is a negligible feature, as did the 360 fanboys back when the whole issue came out about 360's limited BC as compared to PS3's alleged "100% BC", but the PS fanboys were NEVER on the "BC doesn't matter" side of the argument--not until today, that is.

Look up the word HYPOCRITE sometime, you might find a picture of yourself and others like you.

Just like the Xbox fanboys ripping Nintendo about no HD and the such then going back and agreeing it was about the gameplay when it was discovered that Halo 3 doesn't even meet the minimum requirements for HD and supports no AA.

Yep, that's exactly right. Fanboys of any flavor are ALL the same.

While I am a diehard 360 fanboy myself, and I strongly agree with you Alex, I don't think not liking what someone has to say warrants personal attacks. Even if 4saken started attacking you personally first.

Wow, just wow Sony... What am i gonna do with my PS2 games???

Look up the word HYPOCRITE sometime, you might find a picture of yourself and others like you.

Call me a PS3 fanboy...whatever, but I never said BC was critical or that X360 sucked because it didn't have it. You told a big fat lie and got called on it. :D

Sony makes me laugh. Why didn't they just keep the 20 GB edition? Oh right, customers didn't want them.

This is stupid for one reason...
I will never get a PS3 without having the option to "upgrade".

They took away my power to trade-in my PS2.
Which means, a PS3 costs me more than I was counting on.

With over 30 PS2 games, I want them to work on the PS3, if I am to ever get one in the future.

$399, with still nothing that interests me enough....
No sale.

LeviathanZERO said:
They took away my power to trade-in my PS2.
Which means, a PS3 costs me more than I was counting on.

How much is a used PS2 system even worth, $40 ? That's going to make or break you ?
If you want to play all your old games that badly, just keep it around. Also, used 20gb systems with full HW BC are pretty cheap.

How much is a used PS2 system even worth, $40 ? That's going to make or break you ?
If you want to play all your old games that badly, just keep it around. Also, used 20gb systems with full HW BC are pretty cheap.

I really want to play my old games. I like some of them. My Ps2 is on its last legs, my controllers are shot, and i need to go buy a memory card because i lost mine. If I were to even think about getting another Ps2, i'd just get a ps3 for the lower price.

Backwards Capability won't make or break my purchasing the Ps3, but it would make the purchasing date a lot sooner at a lower price point with BC. To not have it in the system is a terrible mistake.

Although, Sony may just add software emulation in a future update and could have delayed it because it's not 100% yet.

Call me a PS3 fanboy...whatever, but I never said BC was critical or that X360 sucked because it didn't have it. You told a big fat lie and got called on it. :D

No, I didn't tell a lie at all. I said that SONY and PS3 FANBOYS such as yourself ranted and raved that BC was critical and that 360 sucked for its limited BC. As another poster said in another thread, "reading is fundamental".

Back