Sony Buys OnLive - Shutdown Planned

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Sony is buying OnLive for its patents and shutting the company down. I guess that's one way to get rid of competition for its PlayStation Now platform.

Sony has purchased OnLive with the intention of closing it, reports CNET, saying OnLive cloud gaming will end on April 30th. In addition to its disinterest in serving games to desktop computers, Sony has also announced it does not intend to continue offering the OnLive Desktop cloud, and advises users to retrieve any files they need before the shutdown.

Wonder what patents they hold that could be used against Nvidia with their streaming service?

Wonder what patents they hold that could be used against Nvidia with their streaming service?

Probably going to fight MS toe to toe with XBL. XBL is vastly superior to PSN in ease of use and services. This could be a start to get a leg up with more games being playable on the PSN.

The Dick known as Sony just grows bigger and bigger.

Symantec used to be famous for this shit.

I thought OnLive went out of business years ago, never knew they actually make that into a working and sustainable business.

OnLive was actually very revolutionary in pushing forward a new technology in game streaming service. Being able to stream any game from their network straight to your phone/tablet or PC was completely unheard of at the time. Now every company is trying to jump onboard with their own service. I tried OnLive once and it wasn't bad at all, the gameplay was actually rather smooth. But Nvidia definitely did it right by allowing you to do it from home for free using your own hardware.

I am happy OnLive existed for this reason.

OnLive was actually very revolutionary in pushing forward a new technology in game streaming service. Being able to stream any game from their network straight to your phone/tablet or PC was completely unheard of at the time. Now every company is trying to jump onboard with their own service. I tried OnLive once and it wasn't bad at all, the gameplay was actually rather smooth. But Nvidia definitely did it right by allowing you to do it from home for free using your own hardware.

I am happy OnLive existed for this reason.

It wasnt unheard of. We all knew streaming gaming was coming. They were the first to package it all up with a nice little bow, but it was evolutionary, not revolutionary.

It wasnt unheard of. We all knew streaming gaming was coming. They were the first to package it all up with a nice little bow, but it was evolutionary, not revolutionary.

people like to confuse those two terms.

Really? What service came before them? What streaming service where you using that came before them?

The order of the actions is actually inverse.

OnLive was shutting down and selling down their assets, Sony bought them.

Seriously look up the history of the company, it was already dead and the standard action is to sell off the tech to recoup some of the losses.

That clickbait title... and the usual posters who don't RTFA :rolleyes:

Really? What service came before them? What streaming service where you using that came before them?

2000 - G-Cluster showed off this technology at E3 and their first version used Wifi to steam to hand held devices.

2005 Crytek started testing this for Crysis and stopped two years later because they didn't feel that enough people had fast enough speeds for the service to really work well yet.

mid 2010 OnLive went live

fall 2010 SFR launched a service on IPTV in France using G-Cluster's technology

OnLive wasn't starting to be shown off till 2009. I can give them having been working on it a little bit. But in the end there were working system either out there that people were using or ones that had been shown off then put on hold. So either way they didn't create this area, others were there before them, they just helped show you could do it now with real pc games. So like he said it was evolutionary in that it was old technology finally evolving to pc games which Crytek already knew was possible just not viable years before due to the limited number of people on decent speeds. Not revolutionary as they didn't create a new area they jumped into an existing on.

The technology is obvious and simple. It's just MP4 + controller, yeah the combination is novel but it's not exactly the sort of thing that you can sue over.

Why did Sony buy OnLive? Sony isn't exactly in the best financial shape and OnLive was about to go under. The only thing I can think of is to prevent them being bought by Microsoft to compete with Sony's streaming system.

The technology is obvious and simple. It's just MP4 + controller, yeah the combination is novel but it's not exactly the sort of thing that you can sue over.

Why did Sony buy OnLive? Sony isn't exactly in the best financial shape and OnLive was about to go under. The only thing I can think of is to prevent them being bought by Microsoft to compete with Sony's streaming system.

My guess there is a few things that OnLive did different / better so they just wanted the technology from them.

Back