Sony buys Ghostbusters Game from Atari

Just read this on Bit-Tech. Apparently as of right now Sony is making it a PS3/PS2 exclusive game. :mad:

Wonder if/when we will ever see the PC version, I was very much looking forward to it. The timing certainly isn't great by Sony with this only being one month out from release.

Also, hopefully this is just for publishing and Sony doesn't make changes to the game. Though if it still ships next month there really isn't any time to make changes.

I hope the wait isn't too long for the PC version. :(

This is a real disappointment. I don't think they will be in any rush to get it out on PC. But you never know they may spend this time optimizing it to the max so it blazes on pc hardware.

I hope this game is good.

I'm thinking Sony wouldn't have done it if it was a turd. Don't they own Ghostbusters to begin with ? I thought they owned the movie studio that has the rights ? Did Sony originally contract to have the game made multi-platform ? It's probably only a 6 month exclusivity deal.

I hope this game is good.

I'm thinking Sony wouldn't have done it if it was a turd. Don't they own Ghostbusters to begin with ? I thought they owned the movie studio that has the rights ?

Movie rights != game rights. You're comparing apples and oranges.

I have no problem scooping up the IP for their systems, but I think it's a little silly that Atari agreed not to release the title on other platforms until "later in the year." I have both a PS3 and 360, but its still a shame that they chose to capitulate.

Do you have direct knowledge or are you guessing ?

Atari already owned the publishing rights or an outside party contracted with them to make the game ? edit: To answer my question, Atari bought the rights. Okie doke. So I wonder what Sony offered for exclusivity ?

Last edited:
Microsoft has pissed me off countless times because there was something I wanted to play but because it has exclusivity it was never even considered for the PS3. Mass Effect series are Fallout 3 expansion content just a few examples that come to mind. Even though I own only a ps3 and am unaffected by this particular exclusivity deal. I hate them. All this does is frustrate Xbox 360 and PC users.

Im confused. Is this a different Ghostbusters game? Because I was sure that it was completely cross platform. The wii version even has its own "stylized" graphics and the CG intro has been floating around for a while. Did I miss something?

Cocksucking motherfuckers. Sony can seriously die in a fire. What about the PC version?

Way to go Sony! Keep pissing everybody off and making the wrong decisions. :mad:

Pissing off the consumer helps profit. :rolleyes:

Fuckers, they wait till its literally a month or 2 from release on all formats then do this. Funny how low theyre going to get exclusives for that pos brick of theirs.

Except PAL is the Europe standard not America, so unless I'm missing something it's a Europe only thing? I didn't see anything about NTSC versions of the game not being released to the relevant systems. I mean I don't know how many euro [H]'ers we have here but over reaction much or I have weak googlefu?

I find it interesting that the article only mentions Sony getting the rights to publish the game in PAL regions for the PS3/PS2. So what about NTSC regions? Is it just assumed Sony will also publish there as well? I just hope the PC version doesn't get canned or that we have to wait forever for it either.

^ Ah beat me to it.

Just read this on Bit-Tech. Apparently as of right now Sony is making it a PS3/PS2 exclusive game. :mad:

Wonder if/when we will ever see the PC version, I was very much looking forward to it. The timing certainly isn't great by Sony with this only being one month out from release.

Also, hopefully this is just for publishing and Sony doesn't make changes to the game. Though if it still ships next month there really isn't any time to make changes.

I hope the wait isn't too long for the PC version. :(

SCEA boss Jack Tretton has criticised what he described as the "different approach" of rival platform holders, stating that Sony won't "bribe" developers to make PS3 exclusives. "We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

lol. I'm sure all of the M$ haters will now be out in force to protest this moneyhatting greedy attempt to stop gamers from playing the games they want by evil $ony!!!1

Frag! Didn't they already have this slated for a PC release?

guess ill have some money for a couple extra cases of beer now, im sure Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will fill the time until a pc release comes along

MS does the same thing but even more.

Show me an example of microsoft buying up rights to a game around 30 days before it launched multi format.

Who cares if its done 30 days before or 300 days before the projected street date? It's still exclusive, it still fragments the gaming market and damonposey is correct MS has done this many times in the past.

Gamer's should not be angry at the fact that this was done 30 days before the projected street date. They should be angry that this is being done period. ...both Sony and MS are doing it now and it's only going to get worse.

I don't see anything that states that they're stopping it from coming to the 360 or PC, just that their publishing it for the Playstation exclusively (unless I read it wrong). Atari still has the rights to release it on the PC, 360 and Wii. Besides, thats got to be a ton of $$$ thrown out the window that they'll never recoup if they don't release it for the other systems

If not, I can see M$ taking off the gloves over this one. I wasn't real excited about the game or anything but this is certainly a pretty shady move by sony and will piss a ton of people off.

Who cares if its done 30 days before or 300 days before the projected street date? It's still exclusive, it still fragments the gaming market and damonposey is correct MS has done this many times in the past.

Gamer's should not be angry at the fact that this was done 30 days before the projected street date. They should be angry that this is being done period. ...both Sony and MS are doing it now and it's only going to get worse.

I don't think anyone cares that it's exclusive, it's that it was announced as multi-platform and canned at the last second (if any of this is even true)

Pretty sure Sony would update the website in a hurry to say PS3/PS2 only, right?

http://www.ghostbustersgame.com/us/index.html

Xbox, Xbox Live, Wii, PC gaming; All the little "logos" are still there.

Pretty sure it'll still hit Xbox, Wii and PC. If not, guess I won't be buying a PS3, Katamari Forever or not.

MS does the same thing but even more.

Exactly. I don't expect Sony to do anything for Windows customers.

MS on the other hand... buys rights to games being made on the PC and converts them to Xbox, and nixes or delays a PC version. Buys PC game developers and converts them to Xbox developers so no more PC games from them. MS has also shut down or converted all their PC game studios to Xbox gaming developers. MS Flight Sim was their longest running software title, even older than Windows, but they shut it down since they couldn't convert it to Xbox.

As a Microsoft Window's customer I expect nothing from Sony. On the other hand I expected not to be stabbed in the back multiple times by MS. So as far as I'm concerned MS is a thousand times worse than Sony.

So basically they are going to take the game and cut it's sales by 75%. lol If they don't release it on every platform they are morons.

So basically they are going to take the game and cut it's sales by 75%. lol If they don't release it on every platform they are morons.

Does Nintendo release their games on every platform? Does MS release their games on every platform?

Fuckers, they wait till its literally a month or 2 from release on all formats then do this. Funny how low theyre going to get exclusives for that pos brick of theirs.

Hahahah, sigh.

Microsoft has done this countless times, its about time Sony does something about it.

Also, PS3 has games, and the PS3 Exclusives more often than not are better than 360 Exclusives. And whatever 360 has, PS3 usually has as well.. so it has games.

PS3 has no games is a tired fanboy meme from 2007.

PS3 actually has the most AAA exclusives in 2009/2010.

Back