Sony buying Bungie!!!!

Bungie probably has a title or two in the works that caught Sony’s eye.

Could be a pre-emotive shot at Microsoft, but Microsoft made a statement to the regulators that it is their goal to release as much software on as many concurrent platforms as possible. A smidge vague, but if the last 20 years have taught Microsoft’s lawyers anything it’s how to dance around the regulation red tape.

Microsoft doesn’t make enough profits on exclusives to justify their expenditures.

And Sega is Sega. It's hard to emphasize how much impact Sega still has in most places that aren't America - as America just mostly knows Sega commercials and Sonic. But they have a massive foothold in the Arcade market and their properties are very long reaching. The Yakuza series alone would be a coup. And that's discounting things like Valkyria Chronics, Shenmue, Persona, and Virtua Fighter. Sonic X Crash Bandicoot could become a thing. Sega's entire backlog could become available on PS4/PS5 (giving Dreamcast and Saturn games in particular a new chance to shine on virtual console). Possibilities there are endless.

https://games.mxdwn.com/news/sega-h...market-after-more-than-50-years-of-operation/

In case you didn't hear recently.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2022-01-31-sony-buying-bungie-for-usd3-6-billion
Destiny studio will remain multiplatform, able "to self-publish and reach players wherever they choose to play"

This is good news, if Sony can allow one of their devs to continue to release games cross-platform, maybe that means Xbox will as well.
It won't. This is Sony responding to Microsoft buying up studios. Nobody is buying studios to let them do their thing. They're going to make Bungie create exclusives for the Playstation. Microsoft just opened up a huge can of problems by buying up studios and now Sony is doing the same to fight back. We the PC gamers will lose because both will make these if not timed exclusive then exclusive exclusive. Consoles have no value other than exclusives, which both Sony and Microsoft are self aware and are now buying up studios.

We the PC gamers will lose because both will make these if not timed exclusive then exclusive exclusive.
I'm not sure I see your point. Microsoft is releasing thier AAA games on PC at the same time their releasing on Xbox, as was the case with Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Inifinite. Sony is putting their best games on PC as well with recently released God of War, but before Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc. This war of Sony vs Microsoft doesn't really involve us PC folks. IMHO.

I'm not sure I see your point. Microsoft is releasing thier AAA games on PC at the same time their releasing on Xbox, as was the case with Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Inifinite.
Microsoft is doing it because Xbox died during the Xbox One era. Remember when Microsoft stopped reporting their console sales? Yea, it died and they had no choice but to push their games onto PC to stay relevant.
Sony is putting their best games on PC as well with recently released God of War, but before Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.
God of War isn't recently released. Four years ago isn't recent. Most of these games are no longer profitable for Sony so of course they release it on PC.
This war of Sony vs Microsoft doesn't really involve us PC folks. IMHO.
We'll be caught in the crossfire.

Bungie hasn’t been relevant since Halo 1-3. They probably couldn’t afford it but the only other company worth anything is Rockstar. Unless you want to include EA ONLY because of the Madden sports line.
As somebody who hasn't played Halo since Halo 2, I must say Halo Infinite has given me the same sense of enthrallment that the first two in the series had. Definitely recommend if you haven't delved into the series in awhile.

God of War isn't recently released. Four years ago isn't recent. Most of these games are no longer profitable for Sony so of course they release it on PC.
Aren't we talking PC perspective? PC just had God of War released on the 14th.

Playstation and Xbox are competing with themselves for the living room space and using the extra PC money to build up their war coffers. Xbox started the trend and Sony is catching up.

Last edited:
"At present, the studio is working on maintaining Destiny 2, expanding the Destiny franchise, and working on new IP."
--Expanding by removing the content most players loved and creating a p2w atmosphere that directly affected its playerbase? Maybe SONY could educate D2's Dev staff on content creation. All this ca$h grab programming is wack. Put simply....

Probably a natural response to Microsoft's recent acquisition

Going to have to look up Bungies release history. I don't think I've ever played any of their games.
Honestly, bigger entities like Sony, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard and EA have been buying up smaller developers for decades now. What we've seen more recently are bigger acquisitions like the Microsoft buyout of Bethesda and Activision/Blizzard. As for Bungie, they've produced a ton of games over the years. However, the studio is known primarily for Halo and Destiny. Of course, Bungie doesn't have the rights to Halo anymore as they gave that up in order to spin off of Microsoft.
The only game I played in the Halo franchise was Combat Evolved in 2001, and I never got into it. I found it boring as all hell.

I know the name Destiny, I've seen it before, but I can't quite place it. Wikipeida tells me it is online multiplayer only, which explains it. I've mostly stopped playing multiplayer games in the last 8 or so years, so the release of Destiny lines up pretty well with the period I would not have been paying attention. Oh. it's console only. That even further explains it.

All of that said, I think it is difficult to see this as anything but a shot across the bow, that Sony can play the acquisition game too, going out and buying the developer of Microsofts biggest game franchise right after Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard.

Sure, Microsoft could have another developer create the next Halo, but I'd imagine that would just complicate things.
The Wikipedia article is wrong. What a shock. Destiny 2 is online only but it does allow you to be a solo player. It's also CoOp PvE, and a PvP game. There is even an activity that's both. Destiny 1 was console only but Destiny 2 is available on PC. In fact, PC sales outnumber either console platform, but not both combined.
Yea for me with destiny i like the parts where i play by myself. i hate getting forced into groups for some of it. I play casually so its people that just run through and skip as much combat as possible to get to the end. I don't enjoy that one bit. I enjoy the combat of the game, not just get loot as fast as possible.
Honestly, there are only a few times where you are truly forced into it. And if you don't want to run with rando's, you can always hit me up. My clan does a bit of everything but it would enable you to do strikes and things of that nature without having to skip everything and make it through as fast as possible. When hanging out with people I know in Discord, it's fine. When I do queue with randos I skip as much as possible to get away from the paste eaters.
Another developer is creating Halo. 343 Industries has been making Halo since 2008 after Bungie divorced from Microsoft. Their first game was Halo 4, which came out in 2012. The latest game in the series, Halo Infinite, just came out in December, made by 343i.
I'm going to disagree with you there. Halo 5 is by far the worst in the series. Not only did I find the story far less interesting than Halo 4's, I hated the back and forth between Master Chief and Locke. What really annoyed me was basically going through a level as Master Chief and then having to repeat the same damn level as Locke. You came at it from a different angle but it was the same level/area. Basically, anytime I had to repeat an area it was soul sucking. It's the only Halo game I never finished because I got bored of it. I literally Youtube'ed the ending and called it good.
Ive never known a single person that plays Destiny. When I read the first post I was like, "But.... Why".

Seems like a meh deal for Sony.
Well, Destiny 2 may not be popular in your circle of friends. That doesn't change the fact that it is a popular game with a fairly large dedicated player base.
Bungie probably has a title or two in the works that caught Sony’s eye.

Could be a pre-emotive shot at Microsoft, but Microsoft made a statement to the regulators that it is their goal to release as much software on as many concurrent platforms as possible. A smidge vague, but if the last 20 years have taught Microsoft’s lawyers anything it’s how to dance around the regulation red tape.

Microsoft doesn’t make enough profits on exclusives to justify their expenditures.
It's been rumored that Bungie had been working on other things, but at this point we know nothing about them. It's certainly plausible that there were things at least in early production that Sony could have been very interested in.
It won't. This is Sony responding to Microsoft buying up studios. Nobody is buying studios to let them do their thing. They're going to make Bungie create exclusives for the Playstation. Microsoft just opened up a huge can of problems by buying up studios and now Sony is doing the same to fight back. We the PC gamers will lose because both will make these if not timed exclusive then exclusive exclusive. Consoles have no value other than exclusives, which both Sony and Microsoft are self aware and are now buying up studios.
Except that Sony has been putting more stuff on PC and have been for some time. At some point, we might see a transition to pure software from Microsoft and Sony. It's harder and harder to make money on consoles.
As somebody who hasn't played Halo since Halo 2, I must say Halo Infinite has given me the same sense of enthrallment that the first two in the series had. Definitely recommend if you haven't delved into the series in awhile.
This is good to hear.

Microsoft is doing it because Xbox died during the Xbox One era. Remember when Microsoft stopped reporting their console sales? Yea, it died and they had no choice but to push their games onto PC to stay relevant.

We'll be caught in the crossfire.

Unless there’s another leadership shakeup that ends up removing both Spencer and Nadella, and likely several other people, I don’t think there’s much chance of MS reversing course when it comes to PC releases. It’s far too profitable and they’ve baked it into Windows too much at this point.

As for Sony, you can guarantee that they’ll keep doing PC releases. God of War already surpassed a million sales on Steam. There’s too much potential money to be made there for Sony to ever stop.

This has nothing to do with MS buying up studios. This deal couldn't of been in the works for up too a year before this announcement.

This has nothing to do with MS buying up studios. This deal couldn't of been in the works for up too a year before this announcement.
Yep. You don't go buying a company for this kinda cash in response. There are potentially years of lawyers, financial folks, etc , etc , etc auditing making sure i's and t's are dotted and crossed. Making sure there are no legal issues. Not just up and decide to buy a company.

Would somebody please buy Konami? Lots of good IP's that are either criminally abused or flat out forgotten.
Problem is that Konami makes an astronomically large amount of money with PES and their Pachinko machines throughout Asia which use the name recognition of their known IPs. Seeing a Silent Hill Pachinko machine is just soul-crushing.

All that being said Konami in my mind other than Capcom are like the peak in terms of my personal valuation of IP value... namely being Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and Castlevania. MGS in my mind alone is worth over $3B... I have heard rumors that a "well known IP" is under development somewhere in the industry and I assumed it would be from one of the three franchises I mentioned earlier but who knows. If somebody did buy Konami I would be happy no matter who bought them, or if someone bought the IPs themselves... I just hate that those amazing IPs are in stagnation and being used for Pachinko bullshit.

SEGA doesn't do arcades anymore as of like the last month.

Problem is that Konami makes an astronomically large amount of money with PES and their Pachinko machines throughout Asia which use the name recognition of their known IPs. Seeing a Silent Hill Pachinko machine is just soul-crushing.

All that being said Konami in my mind other than Capcom are like the peak in terms of my personal valuation of IP value... namely being Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and Castlevania. MGS in my mind alone is worth over $3B... I have heard rumors that a "well known IP" is under development somewhere in the industry and I assumed it would be from one of the three franchises I mentioned earlier but who knows. If somebody did buy Konami I would be happy no matter who bought them, or if someone bought the IPs themselves... I just hate that those amazing IPs are in stagnation and being used for Pachinko bullshit.
No one is buying Konami. I wish someone would buy all their IPs. Put it in a contract that Konami can still use the IPs for their Pachinko machines. Capcom would be big. but I doubt that will happen. SquareEnix needs new management and be perfect for Sony.

Unless there’s another leadership shakeup that ends up removing both Spencer and Nadella, and likely several other people, I don’t think there’s much chance of MS reversing course when it comes to PC releases. It’s far too profitable and they’ve baked it into Windows too much at this point.
That depends on two things. Firstly that Xbox the console is still doing badly outside of the United States. Xbox is nearly 50% of the console says in the US but for the rest of the world it's a fraction of the Playstation sales. If Xbox does sell well world wide then the next Halo game will be released on PC several years after the Xbox. Secondly the cost of PC hardware is stupid. If this continues for another year then nobody can afford to game on PC and therefore nobody will port their games to PC.
As for Sony, you can guarantee that they’ll keep doing PC releases. God of War already surpassed a million sales on Steam. There’s too much potential money to be made there for Sony to ever stop.
You have to look at it from Sony's perspective. They aren't worried about individual game sales but the revenue they gain from third party game sales. That means people have to buy games on the Playstation platform. Exclusives are what get you to buy the hardware in order to maintain that revenue stream. What this means is that Sony will either release games on PC 3-4 years later or they'll eventually make a store on PC to sell their games. Probably the former.

Last edited:
And that won't happen.
LOL, we thought the same thing about bringing any of them to PC at all.

With the PS5 still being MIA in stores, maybe they are rethinking that as we speak. After all why turn people away who want to give you money?
And the money is in selliing games / licensing fees for them anyway. And they can't collect licensing fees on first party titles, so there is really no material reason to not release them on PC.

You have to look at it from Sony's perspective. They aren't worried about individual game sales but the revenue they game from third party game sales. That means people have to buy games on the Playstation platform. Exclusives are what get you to buy the hardware in order to maintain that revenue stream. What this means is that Sony will either release games on PC 3-4 years later or they'll eventually make a store on PC to sell their games. Probably the former.
The problem is that you can't buy a PS5 even if you want to. So people have money in hand, and SONY either watches them give it to someone else or tries to capitalize on the PC market. As long as they can sell more PS5s than they can make, there is on reason for keeping games exclusives for years and missing out on the PC sales.

The problem is that you can't buy a PS5 even if you want to. So people have money in hand, and SONY either watches them give it to someone else or tries to capitalize on the PC market.
If you have money on hand then you can buy a scalped PS5 for $1,000. Even to build a relatively decent PC the GPU alone will cost you nearly $1k. This isn't 2017 when a GTX 1060 or RX 580 can be had for $100. Right now a Radeon 6500 XT costs $450 on Amazon. They are selling out fast too. The RTX 3050 is $600. At those prices you might as well buy the PS5 scalper edition for $1k. Not that I recommend buying anything at the moment.
As long as they can sell more PS5s than they can make, there is on reason for keeping games exclusives for years and missing out on the PC sales.
Maybe but this also might create a situation where the PC is the best platform to get Destiny 3 as well as Call of Duty Infinite and Fallout 5. Sony would be aware of this and would either have to fight Microsoft on PC or just not release their games on PC. Kinda hard to determine which direction Sony would go but my guess is that they would avoid feeding a system that might work against them in the future. Nintendo could easily profit from releasing their games on PC but are determined not to. To this day people continue to use emulators to play Nintendo games, at the loss of Nintendo, but this is alright so long as Nintendo can get 3rd party developers to bring their games to their platform for a cut of 30% to Nintendo.

Sony are good news for PC gaming and more specifically for Linux / Steam Deck. Who knows we might get to see GT series or Little Big Planet on Steam.

Last edited:
That depends on two things. Firstly that Xbox the console is still doing badly outside of the United States. Xbox is nearly 50% of the console says in the US but for the rest of the world it's a fraction of the Playstation sales. If Xbox does sell well world wide then the next Halo game will be released on PC several years after the Xbox. Secondly the cost of PC hardware is stupid. If this continues for another year then nobody can afford to game on PC and therefore nobody will port their games to PC.

Even if MS could get in a position of console dominance they’re not going to change course on PC gaming. There’s just too much money to be made off PC gamers. Delaying games by years really offers them no value, it would only serve to hurt GamePass and that’s the thing MS really cares about these days.

I wouldn’t worry too much about people buying gaming PCs. Pre-builds haven’t gone too insane with prices during this time and that’s still what the majority of people will buy. If things continue I think you’re going to see more people going that route.

You have to look at it from Sony's perspective. They aren't worried about individual game sales but the revenue they gain from third party game sales. That means people have to buy games on the Playstation platform. Exclusives are what get you to buy the hardware in order to maintain that revenue stream. What this means is that Sony will either release games on PC 3-4 years later or they'll eventually make a store on PC to sell their games. Probably the former.

I don’t expect Sony to do day and date releases, but I do see them stepping up their releases as time goes on. If the rumors of them doing a GamePass style service are true, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them roll PC releases into that down the road. I doubt they’ll ditch EGS and Steam, but I do think you’re right on them making their own store.

If you have money on hand then you can buy a scalped PS5 for $1,000. Even to build a relatively decent PC the GPU alone will cost you nearly $1k. This isn't 2017 when a GTX 1060 or RX 580 can be had for $100. Right now a Radeon 6500 XT costs $450 on Amazon. They are selling out fast too. The RTX 3050 is $600. At those prices you might as well buy the PS5 scalper edition for $1k. Not that I recommend buying anything at the moment.
My bad, I automatically assumed most people have principles. Because I'd not buy from a scalper on principle alone even if it was the last ps5 on earth and I had just won a lottery jackpot. And especially since gaming PCs are so overpriced now they don't threaten the market share of Sony.
Maybe but this also might create a situation where the PC is the best platform to get Destiny 3 as well as Call of Duty Infinite and Fallout 5. Sony would be aware of this and would either have to fight Microsoft on PC or just not release their games on PC. Kinda hard to determine which direction Sony would go but my guess is that they would avoid feeding a system that might work against them in the future. Nintendo could easily profit from releasing their games on PC but are determined not to. To this day people continue to use emulators to play Nintendo games, at the loss of Nintendo, but this is alright so long as Nintendo can get 3rd party developers to bring their games to their platform for a cut of 30% to Nintendo.
Yeah, but 3rd party games are already multi platform for the most part, so the platform share of those would not be affected.

We are yet to see sony releasing exclusives day and date on PC, porting some old exclusives is not the same.

Sony Online Entertainment Presents:
1643767312943.png

Maybe only slightly less relevant than Bungie is now!

Sega is a mess, it's split between various holding companies, and the IP is tangled between them. Nobody's gonna want to touch that with a 10-foot pole, there would be so many after the fact claims to the various IPs that it's just not worth the trouble.
It's pretty much been mismanaged since the late 1990's.

This feels very 'me too' to counter the Microsoft acquisition

You really think a deal like this can happen in a handful of days? Negotiations would take months, if not a year or more.

Still feels like when one volcano movie comes out, and then another volcano movie comes out at the same time

All I'm saying 🤷🏼‍♂️

I managed to get a PS5 on my phone plan. Only company that had any in stock in my whole country for Christmas.

What is happening now is more than just your run of the mill consoledation cycle. I don't know what it is, I haven't read any economists or political scientist who I think are on the money yet. Its going to be interesting though.

You really think a deal like this can happen in a handful of days? Negotiations would take months, if not a year or more.
and you don't think Sony had information that Microsoft was buying someone, probably even who the someone was?

and you don't think Sony had information that Microsoft was buying someone, probably even who the someone was?
Maybe or maybe not. If they did know Sony should of went for some of the bigger hitters and not Bungie..

Back