Sony buying Bungie!!!!

They don't have the budget, and maybe is absolutely. Industry scuttlebutt is alive and well.
Saw an article floating around that Sony has another $10 billion available for more acquisitions. With that kind of money they definitely can't go on a shopping spree the likes of what Microsoft has done. Sony has to carefully pick and choose who to go after.

The most significant brands Sony could buy (money no object) would likely be Square-Enix and Sega. Securing Square-Enix would basically help them keep their strangle hold over Asia as well as people who like Japanese RPG's. Square also has other properties through buying companies like Eidos (Tomb Raider, Deus Ex).
And Sega is Sega. It's hard to emphasize how much impact Sega still has in most places that aren't America - as America just mostly knows Sega commercials and Sonic. But they have a massive foothold in the Arcade market and their properties are very long reaching. The Yakuza series alone would be a coup. And that's discounting things like Valkyria Chronics, Shenmue, Persona, and Virtua Fighter. Sonic X Crash Bandicoot could become a thing. Sega's entire backlog could become available on PS4/PS5 (giving Dreamcast and Saturn games in particular a new chance to shine on virtual console). Possibilities there are endless.

For American centric audiences, obviously it would be EA. And that would give them a new foothold in the American PC market. But I think Sony would have a much harder time leveraging EA's studios in comparison to leveraging Japanese brands.

And I more or less agree with others. Bungie is an underwhelming buy. Especially for this much cash. I realize this will get "hate" and/or "ire", but they have zero titles that I've ever been interested in ever. FPS' have been done better by so many other companies. id Software going to Microsoft was much more significant and interesting than gaining Halo and Destiny.

I personally have had no interest in Bungie titles past Myth II...

* Casualty *

Saw an article floating around that Sony has another $10 billion available for more acquisitions. With that kind of money they definitely can't go on a shopping spree the likes of what Microsoft has done. Sony has to carefully pick and choose who to go after.
Capcom and SE come to mind. Buying all of Konami's IPs would be good. Buying Bungie wasn't a good starting point tho.

Capcom and SE come to mind. Buying all of Konami's IPs would be good. Buying Bungie wasn't a good starting point tho.
SE would be the most logical choice, but I think Capcom would be the better buy. I imagine when most people think of Japanese games these days Capcom are the first to come to mind. $10 billion may be enough to buy both, though, but I'd love to see them pick up Konami.

and you don't think Sony had information that Microsoft was buying someone, probably even who the someone was?
MS is likely in talks with tons of companies and talks don’t always mean deals will happen. Hell, they might not even be allowed to purchase ActiBlizz as there seems to be some pushback from regulators. It’s rather silly to think this purchase is a direct reaction to ActiBlizz. It’s a reaction to the industry as a whole, there’s been a trend of companies buying each other the last few years and Sony would be stupid to not get in on it.

SE would be the most logical choice, but I think Capcom would be the better buy. I imagine when most people think of Japanese games these days Capcom are the first to come to mind. $10 billion may be enough to buy both, though, but I'd love to see them pick up Konami.

$10B would definitely not be enough for both of them. Easily enough for one or the other with money left over to pick up a smaller company though.

I wonder if Konami would even be worth the effort. Their dev division is an utter mess and it would take an immense amount of money and effort to get them back into a state where they can make high quality games again.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sony or MS pick up KoeiTecmo at some point. They’re going to be relatively cheap and have a decent amount of IPs worth grabbing.

MS is likely in talks with tons of companies and talks don’t always mean deals will happen. Hell, they might not even be allowed to purchase ActiBlizz as there seems to be some pushback from regulators. It’s rather silly to think this purchase is a direct reaction to ActiBlizz. It’s a reaction to the industry as a whole, there’s been a trend of companies buying each other the last few years and Sony would be stupid to not get in on it.
Its silly to think this is a reaction to their single largest competitor going on a buying spree... ok there.

Maybe you should try reading what I actually said and not what you pretended I did.

I said its a reaction to Microsoft buying, you said its a reaction to the industry as a whole, I said no its a reaction to Microsoft their direct competitor in the space going on a buying spree. So unless you want to claim that is what you meant by the industry as a whole (which is a bit disingenuous) what exactly am I pretending you said?

I said its a reaction to Microsoft buying, you said its a reaction to the industry as a whole, I said no its a reaction to Microsoft their direct competitor in the space going on a buying spree. So unless you want to claim that is what you meant by the industry as a whole (which is a bit disingenuous) what exactly am I pretending you said?

I specifically said that it’s silly to think it’s a direct reaction to ActiBlizz. Also, Microsoft is part of the industry. They would be part of that “industry as a whole” bit. MS’ studio shopping spree is no way being excluded or discounted by my statement. It is, however, part of that studio buying trend in the industry. Even outside of these two big companies, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a lot more studios and even publishers getting picked up or merging over the next few years.

I specifically said that it’s silly to think it’s a direct reaction to ActiBlizz. Also, Microsoft is part of the industry. They would be part of that “industry as a whole” bit. MS’ studio shopping spree is no way being excluded or discounted by my statement. It is, however, part of that studio buying trend in the industry. Even outside of these two big companies, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a lot more studios and even publishers getting picked up or merging over the next few years.

So I did not pretend to read anything, thanks for confirming that. My disagreement stands.

It's not a reaction to Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard. The deal with Bungie had been in the works for about six months according to Sony. (I can't recall where I read that offhand.) There was also a claim that it was not based around industry consolidation, but I don't know if I buy that personally.

$10B would definitely not be enough for both of them. Easily enough for one or the other with money left over to pick up a smaller company though.

I wonder if Konami would even be worth the effort. Their dev division is an utter mess and it would take an immense amount of money and effort to get them back into a state where they can make high quality games again.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sony or MS pick up KoeiTecmo at some point. They’re going to be relatively cheap and have a decent amount of IPs worth grabbing.

I mean, I would like to see a Gemfire (Royal Blood outside the US) II...

That is why I said Konami's IP. All the talent is gone that made Konami what it is. Sony doesn't want what is left of that dumpster fire. It would be awesome for them to buy the IPs and bring in Kojima's studio to finally do PT (Silent Hill).

It's not a reaction to Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard. The deal with Bungie had been in the works for about six months according to Sony. (I can't recall where I read that offhand.) There was also a claim that it was not based around industry consolidation, but I don't know if I buy that personally.
No one can say that with any degree of certainty, its all speculation, and I see it as a reaction. I know my opinion is just arm chair opinion, do you?

The six month claim means nothing, Microsoft's deals with Zenimax and Activision would have been in the works for as long if not longer, the market would know about it at the very least in rumor form, which would prompt Sony to react.

I keep reading the title as "Stop buying Bungie" and it messes with my head every time I scroll by.

No one can say that with any degree of certainty, its all speculation, and I see it as a reaction. I know my opinion is just arm chair opinion, do you?

The six month claim means nothing, Microsoft's deals with Zenimax and Activision would have been in the works for as long if not longer, the market would know about it at the very least in rumor form, which would prompt Sony to react.
Yes, I read the same thing a few months back that they were interested in Bungie because of the "worlds they have built", it wasn't just for their gaming studios but the rights to the IPs for Movie/TV/Music. So yes there is a lot of stuff in there for gaming but Sony believes that Bungie has access to some solidly built story worlds that they can make back their investment outside of the gaming industry.

Keep in mind Bungie isn’t the first studio Sony has picked up recently. It’s certainly the biggest and the first big third party multiplatform studio, but they’ve also bought Insomniac, Nixxes, Bluepoint, and Housemarque in the last few years (along with a couple other smaller studios).

The six-month claim seems to originate from one of the head of Gameindustry.biz who also states that this is not a direct reaction to ActiBlizz. Either way, given Sony’s statement about making multiple live-service games in the coming years, it’s pretty easy to see why Sony wanted Bungie.

$10 billion may be enough to buy both, though, but I'd love to see them pick up Konami.
I think a smart purchase might have been FromSoftware, They are about to release Elden Ring and their Souls games are super popular among fans (I'm not one of them). They are also a Japanese company, like Sony and Konami, and have a more relevant IP library.

Anyway glad they're making moves also, Just think the Bungie money could have been used better also.

I think a smart purchase might have been FromSoftware, They are about to release Elden Ring and their Souls games are super popular among fans (I'm not one of them). They are also a Japanese company, like Sony and Konami, and have a more relevant IP library.

Anyway glad they're making moves also, Just think the Bungie money could have been used better also.
FromSoftware is a subsidiary of the corporate giant Kadokawa Corporation, of which Sony is one of the majority owners.

Strip20220204a.x93667.png

After contemplating this for a week or so I still don’t understand the reasoning here. Unless they give Bungie their first party FPS liscenses.

After contemplating this for a week or so I still don’t understand the reasoning here. Unless they give Bungie their first party FPS liscenses.
It’s going to make its money back from the Sony Entertainment Division easily, the TV/Movie tie in IP’s are going to be easy cash cows.

It’s going to make its money back from the Sony Entertainment Division easily, the TV/Movie tie in IP’s are going to be easy cash cows.

This, plus they’re going to heavily borrow from Bungie’s experience with live-service games.

Quite a crazy round of acquisitions. Call of Duty becoming an exclusive would be bad for the player base (as would most cross platform MP games).

It is like we're entering another round of the mid 2000s. Instead of individual studios being bought up, "individual publishers" are being bought up.

Sony sucks at making super hero/action films though. They did a terrible job with every marvel property they have had (X-men, Spider-Man, fantastic 4).

Here’s hoping they get better people to develop all of it, or we’re going to have the worst, most generic, master chief movie ever.

Sony sucks at making super hero/action films though. They did a terrible job with every marvel property they have had (X-men, Spider-Man, fantastic 4).

Here’s hoping they get better people to develop all of it, or we’re going to have the worst, most generic, master chief movie ever.
And as shitty as they were they made bank. Not Disney numbers but respectable ones for the time.

Fox was X-men and Fantastic 4.

Rami’s first two Spidy movies are still excellent, I’ll defend the first Amazing movie even with it’s flaws, Spider-Verse was fucking phenomenal. Sony is very much a hit-or-miss studio, they always have been.

I am excited to see what Bungie's new IP was. Destiny while fun I think it's been too long since I played it to get into it anymore.

Also it would be cool and I think is a likelihood if Destiny along with all the expansions past and future are automatically included in PlayStation Plus Extra.

least whatever it is will be on pc now at least with sony's new pc initiative

Until they release details of the new IP, to me it seems like too much $$$. Hope Sony knows what they're doing.

Last edited:
Until they release details of the new IP, to me it seems like a water of $$$. Hope Sony knows what they're doing.
I'm going to guess it is... A shooter where you, a complete badass, have to fight evil aliens in a sci-fi landscape. Just a guess... based on the only thing Bungie ever seems to do :D

Seriously, the MS/Bungie breakup was SO FUNNY to me. So a bunch of the Bungie people went to MS and said "We are sick of just working on Halo, we wanna do something new and you won't let us. Either let us split up, or we are going to quit and Bungie will be a meaningless shell of a company." To MS's credit, they worked out a deal. They kept the Halo IP, of course, but Bungie split off and became an independent company again. Free from their corporate masters they could embark on their vision to produce a totally new IP... Destiny, which for all the world looked like just a slightly different Halo game. I could never figure out what creative impulse it was that they felt MS was dampening.

It seems like Bungie has one game they like to make. That's ok, there are plenty of developers like that. Even some that make them in multiple styles make one game. Bethesda makes the Bethesda game. It can be fantasy (Elder Scrolls) or post-apocalyptic (Fallout) but it is the Bethesda game. I like the Bethesda game very much, so I have no issues with that. It is just funny to me when Bungie keeps making the Bungie game, but for some reason felt that MS was somehow creatively limiting them.

At any rate, I expect their new IP to be another Bungie game, which is good if you like Bungie games, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything groundbreaking.

I'm going to guess it is... A shooter where you, a complete badass, have to fight evil aliens in a sci-fi landscape. Just a guess... based on the only thing Bungie ever seems to do :D

Seriously, the MS/Bungie breakup was SO FUNNY to me. So a bunch of the Bungie people went to MS and said "We are sick of just working on Halo, we wanna do something new and you won't let us. Either let us split up, or we are going to quit and Bungie will be a meaningless shell of a company." To MS's credit, they worked out a deal. They kept the Halo IP, of course, but Bungie split off and became an independent company again. Free from their corporate masters they could embark on their vision to produce a totally new IP... Destiny, which for all the world looked like just a slightly different Halo game. I could never figure out what creative impulse it was that they felt MS was dampening.

It seems like Bungie has one game they like to make. That's ok, there are plenty of developers like that. Even some that make them in multiple styles make one game. Bethesda makes the Bethesda game. It can be fantasy (Elder Scrolls) or post-apocalyptic (Fallout) but it is the Bethesda game. I like the Bethesda game very much, so I have no issues with that. It is just funny to me when Bungie keeps making the Bungie game, but for some reason felt that MS was somehow creatively limiting them.

At any rate, I expect their new IP to be another Bungie game, which is good if you like Bungie games, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything groundbreaking.
Bungie is funny to me like you mentioned they joined MS then left then joined Activision then left now are joining Sony. I'm over here like ... they must like abusive relationships.

Until they release details of the new IP, to me it seems like a water of $$$. Hope Sony knows what they're doing.

Probably will be a multiplayer game. I recall reading an article in which Sony was looking to make some high profile multiplayer games. Most of their in house games are single player. SP games make sense for exclusives because generally for multiplayer, player base matters and you have most potential for that when you sell on all platforms. Of course an MP game on one console and PC can still be successful.

Then again maybe Bungie will do a new single player game.

Back