Sony: “awfully close” to selling 27-inch OLED

I really doubt OLED will be on peoples' mind for atleast a year or two because it's still very expensive and 50 inch 1080p LCD TV are dirt cheap, furthermore sony's idea of implementing a network card to their television would cost them a lot of money. I can picture them removing the network card to cut cosr as OLED becomes more mainstream. However with this idea in mind, it's a great feature for early adopters.

A network card? I think something like this costs a few coins :)
Especially considering the 27" OLED will be pretty expensive. And I bet it will be sold only in Japan. I heart about Japanese, that they often buy the best items, because it is the part of their culture - to the the best craftsmanship, the best technology. Even if they actually don't need it. And they can also afford it :)
Maybe I'm mistaken, I'm really no sociologist nor antropologist :)

Sounds like Stan Glasgow was pretty drunk at that dinner and making promises left and right. But then again, Sony people don't have to drink in order to lie like madmen. ;)

Looks good, but I have read that OLED has bad image retention issues and the price will be insame for years to come. It is a drag, because we really do need a better technology.

Dave

Looks good, but I have read that OLED has bad image retention issues and the price will be insame for years to com

I agree. OLED is far from being ready for mainstream. Colors (especially blue) degrades very quickly.
I do not like LCD much (the low contrast ratio is killing me) and I have high expectations for OLED. Let's hope that the engineers will find a way to overcome the current issues and that the price gets reasonable soon enough (5 years???).

Back