Sony announces VR headset.

I do hope VR doesn't just go through a "fad" again (like it did back in the 90's) or like 3d recently went through.

But back in the 90's they were still seriously compromised devices. Like a neat tech demo, but not something you wanted to use regularly.

I think they've probably improved enough to get some permanent traction.

Which to get then? I have a PS4, and a computer. I guess it depends on if they will both support the PS4 and PC, form factor, and price. I don't think any of us really want two different VR headsets that we have to get used to.

Which to get then? I have a PS4, and a computer. I guess it depends on if they will both support the PS4 and PC, form factor, and price. I don't think any of us really want two different VR headsets that we have to get used to.

Depending on what the final retail unit is like for the Rift and what PS4 support is like for this thing I'd be one of those crazy types of people who would totally be interested in both. I've thought about buying a Rift several times since they first went up for sale.

The Sony one will be more worth it. Why? One word: Move. The Playstation Move controller will also be usable while using the headset. Think of Oblivion with a real sword in your hand. Think of Killzone with a real gun in your hand. Yeah. More interactivity possible with the Sony VR. Also, Sony has a great collection of exclusives for the PS4. Some great games you just can't get on PC. Oculus is going to be great too and if it truly is going to be less than $300 then I'll probably be able to have both sooner or later. Sony better make it affordable though. I remember they had that headmounted cinema display at one point which was selling for like over $1000.

For me it comes down to the fact the version for PS4 will be closed and proprietary and under Sony's total control - ultimatelty designed to sell PS4 consoles first, push innovation second. So it will only be as good as the games that support it, and only work within Sony's walled garden.

The Rift on the other hand will be open and moddable and community driven, and if it doesnt support a particular game natively, modders will find a way, look no further than the already sprawling ecosystem of modding and support for the current prerelease version of the Rift.

The Rift is the killer device with broader and more far reaching potential, wont be held back by a static hardware/gpu configuration set in stone for years like the PS4 (meaning we'll see a 4K 2nd gen rift much sooner than Sony could support one) and Rift has a list of industry veterans on its staff now, not to mention Valve's full backing and co-development as they make their own push into the living room with Steambox. Bottom line: You will be able to do more with the Rift.

That said, I do love what Sony's offering is doing in the war against Xbone: making the latter look like an overpriced, underpowered box with a glorified webcam.

Last edited:
Looks good, I look forward to picking one up eventually. I like that you can use your own headphones, but now I have to buy a Playstation Eye camera with it to actually be able to use it.

44386669.jpg

A lot of developers are saying that the Sony VR set is actually better than Oculus Rift at this point in time. Who knows if that will stand when they both actually release, but just the fact that they are saying that at all is impressive to me. The OR has been getting so much press about how it's "the next big thing," it's got tons of funding, and now has industry bigwigs working on it. If Sony makes it even comparable to what OR is promising, then it is a pretty big win IMO.

The make or break of this thing (and the OR, really), is going to be the price. If they keep it at $300 or less, it will probably sell like crazy. Hell, if they manage that, and OR comes in at it's goal of $300, I'd probably buy both.

Oculus rift took too long to get here, the dev kit has been out for more than a year, they could not polish the product in time and now Sony is going to eat them alive....literally. There will be no Oculus Rift using Ps4 owners, for Xbox, Microsoft will develop their own and PC game manufacturers are more than likely to offer support for a sony product over OC VR anyways.
Crytek on the game side and AudoDesk on the productivity side are already on board with the Sony device.

Good by oculus rift. Good riddance.

Why would you say good riddance? They have been improving the rift and setting in motion the VR mindset and getting people excited for it. Do you think if the rift had not been making waves Sony and others wouldn't be talking about/doing it?

Not to mention, the rift has some very very smart people working on it (IE John Carmack) and Valve has gave them support (not to mention they have some valve people working for them now).

I think it will help if both succeed and drive competition, pushing both to be better.

Oculus rift took too long to get here, the dev kit has been out for more than a year, they could not polish the product in time and now Sony is going to eat them alive....literally. There will be no Oculus Rift using Ps4 owners, for Xbox, Microsoft will develop their own and PC game manufacturers are more than likely to offer support for a sony product over OC VR anyways.
Crytek on the game side and AudoDesk on the productivity side are already on board with the Sony device.

Good by oculus rift. Good riddance.

Now that's a kiddie perspective. You do realize consoles can't possibly render enough FPS in order for this to work as it should, right? They struggle to render 30fps, let alone 120 which (I think) is the bare minimum for a screen taking your entire vision. It will be no better than "3D" on the PS3 - useless crap.

In fairness, how many computers put out 120 FPS too? Not many, and those that do are 3-4 times the cost of the PS4. So, if Sony is able to do it with a $400 console then it's going to be far more popular..

i used to play a crap tons of hese exact vr machines back in the early 90s circa 1992/94

Virtuality.jpg

very advaced machines the controler had an insane motion tracking system for 1992 and it was 360 turn tracking.

you could hold a gun hand to your face and rotate your hand and the in game poly hand would follow in real time. they would also pump out the game play on large screens in the coffeee part of the vr arcade.

vr is an unforgetable thing. i also ot toplay with a rift with out the tracking controlers it is not as cool but the screen is better. i seen in twice at sundance film fest and the xi3 mini pc booth has one.

virtualboy does not compare to either i boughtone in 1996 and still have it.

we will see if sony can track the way these machines did and the promise of having one at home would be filled. those things cost around $10,000 each in 1992

also i am looking to buy one of these things cheep or just get to play one again but have not seen one in 20 years.

0.jpg

1000cs.jpg

Last edited:
More interactivity possible with the Sony VR.
See: Razer Hydra. As an added bonus, the Hydra's latency is quite a lot lower.

Oculus rift took too long to get here, the dev kit has been out for more than a year, they could not polish the product in time and now Sony is going to eat them alive....literally.
I'm not sure you have a firm understanding of what "literally" means.

Now that's a kiddie perspective. You do realize consoles can't possibly render enough FPS in order for this to work as it should, right?
It's definitely going to be a severe stretch to make it work, and there won't be enough power for it to work particularly well in most cases. You can't usually get a sense of presence at 60 Hz, let alone 30. Rendering into two views isn't greatly more demanding than rendering in one, but the PS4 really doesn't have a ton of spare horsepower.

That said, Sony knows how to make HMDs, and the actual hardware should end up being pretty good. But being chained to the PS4 is really going to hurt its potential.

Sony sold over 80million PS3's in it's lifespan, the PS4 is over 6million in 5 months. If it's not going to be useable on the PC it will at least have the potential to sell to every single person with a PS4. Even if they sell half the amount of PS4's as the PS3 that's 40million customers, but I don't see why they wouldn't sell more than that. More people have consoles than gaming computers. I don't see how it would hurt it's potential from sales stand point (tha'ts all that really matters to Sony) other than a PC user wanting it on his PC.

Looks like some PC program companies are with the Sony VR headset, so I'm hoping it will be usable on the PC. I know that the Sony Gold headset I just got works great with both PC/PS4, and the DS4 works as well (needs a little more improvement though).

Last edited:
I just read that Microsoft is working on a VR headset for the XB1 as well. I bet that one will have console/PC compatibility for sure.

probably going to stick with the rift for PC, can't really justify having 2 VR kits for PC and my ps4

I can't imagine it would take long for some clever person/people to get the Sony one going on a PC even if Sony chose not to officially allow it.
Part of me is in the OR camp because I don't like Sony's habit of jumping on the latest trend long after other people have done the ground work, and then pretending it was their innovation all along. But part of me is more interested in which is the superior gaming experience.

I see this as more of a continuation of Sony's work in HMDs, their first released in '97. Palmer Luckey was a toddler when that thing was released.

It's something they've dabbled in for a while, though this is their first foray into VR.

76137_700x760.jpg

image_285550_16x9_620.jpg

microsoft has had the tech filed legal for tons of vr stuff for years and a lot of it never came out.

and if it does it will be horrible like kinect and mis use the tech and miss the point entirely.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/422341/microsoft-patents-xbox-head-mounted-display/
image_307336_620.jpg

image_307337_fit_940.jpg

there was one for the sega genesis and it did not come out either.

Forteleza is not VR, in fact Microsoft's venture is actually AR. AR is much MUCH more difficult to achieve than VR and is basically the better version of if you as me.

Microsoft's best answer to Sonys project Morpheus is to commercialize and announce Forteleza. It wouldn't be a 'me too' VR like Sony is.. AR is the real deal.

How is augmented reality better than virtual reality? They do completely different things. With VR you can stay in your home and play whatever game it works with. The only limit is the designers imagination. You can be in any world, set in any time frame. AR will literally require you to have to go to places to experience new things. There's only so much you can do with it in your living room. Don't get me wrong, I think both are cool and I look forward to both, but I don't think AR is better by any comparison. They both have their application. Maybe when AR can actively convert your surrounding to something different with zero delay they will be more comparable.. but that's so far away..

Back