Sony Announces the PS4 Release Date

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Following on the heels of Microsoft’s rollout of the Xbox One, Sony gave the Xbox a few days to bask in its announcement glory before resuming the competition. On Friday Sony announced it is confirming prior rumors that the PS4 will be on store shelves in time for Christmas shopping season.

A full page advert in UK newspaper the Metro reveals that the PS4 will be coming to the UK this year, and hints that the games console will see a full worldwide release before 2013 is up.

If I buy a next gen console it will the PS4. My whole Microsoft experience these last handful of years has been meh. Xbox One doesn't do anything for me

I'm so intrigued to see what the reaction will be from all the folks saying they are 'switching to PS4' when Sony actually release some concrete details about their as yet unseen console which will probably not be too dissimilar to Microsoft's.

Sony is the one company that cannot afford to let any revenue opportunity slip considering they made about $48 last year.

All MS has to do is push Sony hard in a war of financial attrition. If Sony has to release a more powerful box (because it has to be seen to beat MS) then it either has to sell it for a larger amount (which will hurt) or it will have to sell it for the same or slightly less (which will hurt it more).

I'm wondering if we'll ever see a PS5.

I used to buy and play the hell out of some consoles up to PS2. I played Xbox 360 for about a year or two, but after that just lost interest in console gaming (gaming in general really). I have two 360's (one rrod) and the other hasn't been played in a year. I only keep it for when my nephew and nieces come over. I loved football games, but EA's monopoly over NFL games ruined it for me.

didn't mean to post that yet :-/

If I do decide to buy one of the system it'll probably be Xbox One, but I want to see what the PS4 has to offer. I missed out on a lot of games for the PS3 that I wanted to play, but never did because I never bought one.

Hardware doesnt always sell consoles. Sony can "win" by simply doing the right things. Things that MS chose not to do or to enforce with no user choice etc. e.g. pay to play ala LIVE/ not feeding ads down your throat on the operating system which you pay for and then subscribe to / force you to buy Kinect with the console. and other things.

I would have to see something great on any of these systems before I would purchase another console. Right now, I am unimpressed with the MS offering. Sony would really have to hit it out of the park to make me consider a PS4, but I suspect they are all moving in the same direction.

As of right now, I'll continue to play games on my PC.

GRRR, I hate the PS4 and it just sucks.; Everything about it just is... bad. They will NOT get my money. Grrrrr. <GEEKRAGE>

There, I just balanced the universe. But yea we already knew* that it would be coming out this year. Let's see if developing for it is any easier now with a more familiar architecture. I won't be buying one, but I'm still interested in seeing what it has in store based on a pure technical appreciation of new toys.

Kinect alone is the reason xbox is not getting a purchase before ps4.

Why? It's not like you have to use it.

I'd be more worried about how much that extra/replacement PS4 controller is going to cost you with all the crap they crammed in there.

For me, it will come down to which console has an exclusive that is not released on PC, that I really want bad enough to spend the money.

I'm going to let the early adopters sort this out for me.

*thinking about hoarding a new current gen system if the prices drop enough.

I'd be more worried about how much that extra/replacement PS4 controller is going to cost you with all the crap they crammed in there.

For me, it will come down to which console has an exclusive that is not released on PC, that I really want bad enough to spend the money.

not everyone willingly welcomes corporate spying into their home with open arms.

Hardware doesnt always sell consoles. Sony can "win" by simply doing the right things. Things that MS chose not to do or to enforce with no user choice etc. e.g. pay to play ala LIVE/ not feeding ads down your throat on the operating system which you pay for and then subscribe to / force you to buy Kinect with the console. and other things.

Yep.

I've been an Xbox fan since the original. Except this generation, I will probably switch to Sony. If Sony does the right things.

I'm going to let the early adopters sort this out for me.

^^^ This.

I'm also disturbed at the recent rumblings in the game publisher circles that they are pushing the "Free To Play - Pay To Win" concept in the next generation of games. Both consoles are looking like giant micro-transaction pay sinks.

I expect both consoles to be released before Christmas. Sony gambled waiting for Blu-Ray to be ready before releasing the PS3; it won the format war by doing so, but lost the battle in the console war. Sony won't be doing that this time around.

Following on the heels of Microsoft’s rollout of the Xbox One, Sony gave the Xbox a few days to bask in its announcement glory before resuming the competition. On Friday Sony announced it is confirming prior rumors that the PS4 will be on store shelves in time for Christmas shopping season.

Terrible title. They didnt give a date, they gave a season.

Kinect mandatory to use the Xbox One, and always on Mic and camera... that is why. If that doesn't bother you, then you need to do some serious reevaluation of why not.

The kinect HAS to be connected for he Xbox to function. IM sorry, but im not installing a black box camera and mic in my living room.

Kinect mandatory to use the Xbox One, and always on Mic and camera... that is why. If that doesn't bother you, then you need to do some serious reevaluation of why not.

Will taping/obscuring the camera and mic prevent it from working?

Just wow. A company basically says"to use our product, you have to allow us to install a proprietary camera and microphone system that never turns off and the government can backdoor at anytime."

Your response is to try and stop it with tape?

If I buy a next gen console it will the PS4. My whole Microsoft experience these last handful of years has been meh. Xbox One doesn't do anything for me

What do you mean it doesn't do anything. Bro it changes channels

LMAO. I can see it now, all kinds of plastic kinect accessories springing up from our friends in hong Kong: Kinect Privacy Protect Guard™ - a $24.99 slip on cover

Here's what I know: No device with an always-on camera and microphone and a requirement to be connected to the internet has a place in my home. Sorry Microsoft

Just wow. A company basically says"to use our product, you have to allow us to install a proprietary camera and microphone system that never turns off and the government can backdoor at anytime."

Your response is to try and stop it with tape?

Yes. That way I can both have cake and eat it. The way I see it, just because some jerk-off licked his finger and touched one part of the cake doesn't mean you have to throw out the entire cake. Just take off the portion perceived to be contaminated.

I think Xbox One is probably going to be the winner here. Microsoft appears to be taking a note from Apple's playbook and that is "dont listen to what the customer wants, tell them what they want". Apple pushes new technology down their customers throats and quite frankly, people seem to like it like that. The avg person doesnt want to think much, they just want to be sold on something. All these "options" and "things" you can do with/to your console is simply too much to worry about. People want something with a big "GO" button on it that starts entertaining them in one way or another. Xbox seems to be driving this home. Microsoft has always wanted to dominate the living room with their own branded "PC" and the first Xbox finally began their foray. Now Microsoft is blatantly telling everyone that this is their goal, now that they have secured 2 successful system launches and made everyone comfortable with a MS branded product in their living rooms. MS already has established a pretty positive image for themselves and have secured numerous lucrative exclusives and finally secured rights to titles that were previously exclusive to other consoles.

The ONLY thing that is helping PS4 is their exclusive titles. There's nothing else anybody really cares about that a PS4 can do. However Xbox can basically do everything the PS4 can, and more. Im not fanboy and the last console I played was a PS2 at a buddies house. I spend most of my time grinding TF2 on Steam. But it's pretty obvious who is winning this battle overall.

Yes. That way I can both have cake and eat it. The way I see it, just because some jerk-off licked his finger and touched one part of the cake doesn't mean you have to throw out the entire cake. Just take off the portion perceived to be contaminated.

You're free to enjoy your turd cake.

I will not buy a system I h ave to connect one a day. I do have broad band but I don't care.

I don't normally play consoles but when I do, I prefer the Xbox controller. The Sony one is too small for my large hands, it feels like it was designed for small Asian hands.

I don't normally play consoles but when I do, I prefer the Xbox controller. The Sony one is too small for my large hands, it feels like it was designed for small Asian hands.

Racist much, wow

Or woman hands? Japan thinks we're all little girls over here since pussification of America.

Finally.
Someone else noticed.

Not to mention this specifically says IN THE UK. It was already known it would release in the US by Christmas this year, that's just confirmation UK will get it too and not have a delay.

What is with these terrible news titles lately?

i don't really find a reason to buy a console any time soon considering mostly all games are now made for online pvp, and what has left for single player does not have long enough game play and to add more to that it just sucks in innovation unlike old school games.

Back