Sony Announces Pricing and Availability of 2018 OLED TVs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sony has announced that their A8F BRAVIA OLED displays will start at $2,800. While that is still a premium price, it is a significant discount from last year’s iteration, which launched at $4,000. A 65” version will also be available for $3,800.

Sony’s OLED TV is like nothing you’ve ever seen before with truly exceptional black, shadow and color. Over 8 million self-illuminating pixels are precisely and individually controlled by the X1 Extreme processor creating exquisite, unprecedented contrast. The X1 Extreme processor precisely controls the tremendous number of pixels and extends the capability of OLED to deliver an exquisite 4K HDR picture.

I have the 65" A1E which I got near the end of last year during holiday sales. It's a pretty thin television and I'm pretty happy with it.

Sorry kids! You're college education is toast. Daddy's gonna buy a TV....

But, I'm sure it's gonna last forever... I'll save up for the next 7 years...

Sony and OLED in the same product description? How long have they done this for?

How well do oled TVs hold up after 3 to 5 years?

And do they make oled TVs in 30 inch?

Last edited:
when you start looking at OLEDs they are almost all around the same price, then you review rtings.com on many tvs and see what is lacking on each.
Yeah and the b7 is one of the highest rated sets ever on rtings. I have one and it's very nice - I also have a js9500 and ended up moving that to the bedroom the b7 performed so well...

Once you do OLED you can't go back. I just wish someone other than LG made the panels...competition is good.

Edit:
I meant in addition too LG, but it looks like my poor wording was understood anyway :).

Last edited:
I wonder how well it does for gaming. The whole reason I skipped out on Sony a couple years back and got a Samsung. Maybe they'll have sorted out the input lag, but I feel it'll be not much change.

If anyone made a 49/50" OLED panel I'd consider it for my Office/Gaming/Theatre rig but alas us plebeians with only enough room for a 50" are out in the cold. Even with the image retention issues, man those black are so nice...

50" is the sweet spot for a 4K multi-use TV I think. Would love to get one when my KS8000 checks out some day I just don't hold out hope we'll have anything in that size range. :(

The video processor is the biggest difference. Sony is one of the best at it.

Is it really that much of a difference though? Still, it is a fair point. It would be interesting seeing a Sony and LG side by side playing something like The Fifth Element.

Is it really that much of a difference though? Still, it is a fair point. It would be interesting seeing a Sony and LG side by side playing something like The Fifth Element.

Think of it like the differences between DACs for playing music. It can be a big difference or can be virtually no difference. Course Sony TVs are usually placed above LGs in picture quality in reviews, even when both TVs will be using LG panels.

Now with these OLED TVs from Sony or LG probably don't have a big enough picture quality difference to warrant a big price gap. What the individual wants out of the tv and the features of the tv will be what determines if the price difference is worth it.

It shines in converting 1080 signals to 4k, which for most of us is still 98% of content. You probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference with The Fifth Element blu ray or ultra 4k.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Back