Sony Announces Limited Release For 'The Interview'

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Sony has finally grown a pair and decided that it should determine when its films are released, not the hackers.

"We have never given up on releasing The Interview and we're excited our movie will be in a number of theaters on Christmas Day," said Michael Lynton, chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment, in a statement on Tuesday. "At the same time, we are continuing our efforts to secure more platforms and more theaters so that this movie reaches the largest possible audience."

Sony mentioned that there will be some VOD for this movie. I'd love to watch this at home. Plus the nearest theater is in NJ and it's over 1 hour away.

It looks as though Sony has finally grown a pair

Sony is a private owned company which has for sole purpose to make money.
For growing stuff, I would say that the farming industry is much better equipped.

Sony mentioned that there will be some VOD for this movie. I'd love to watch this at home. Plus the nearest theater is in NJ and it's over 1 hour away.

Yeah the closest Alamo Drafthouse to me is 2.5 hours.

Why is it always that Sony is growing a pair with the release when in reality the pulling of the movie by them was due to NO theaters wanting to show it and not Sony. Theaters also wanted to show Team America in lieu of The Interview and Paramount said they cannot show it so if anything Paramount is a bigger pushover than Sony in all of this nonsense.

57449475.jpg

I don't care. Then why did I post this. I don't know. I don't care.

Time magazine had a link yesterday to theaters showing it. And a channel on Vaughnlive (Chark Movies) was showing it yesterday on repeat. LOLOLOL

It's a fairly good movie. :)

Why is it always that Sony is growing a pair with the release when in reality the pulling of the movie by them was due to NO theaters wanting to show it and not Sony. Theaters also wanted to show Team America in lieu of The Interview and Paramount said they cannot show it so if anything Paramount is a bigger pushover than Sony in all of this nonsense.

Problem is that is bullshit. The big guys might have started to back out, however places like the Alamo Drafthouse and other chains stood strong the entire time claiming they would still show the movie. They even started up a petition trying to get Sony to let them show the film after it was decided it wouldn't be shown. Now that they put it back out there you see these places showing the movie. They have always had theaters still willing to show it, only a few of the larger chains pulled out. That is like saying that Walmart, Best Buy and Target won't sell some game or movie and thus that means that nobody out there will sell it. You are ignoring everyone that isn't those 3 stores. Same here, only a few of the big guys said no. Sure it only opened at about 300 or so theaters, but that is still 300 that are wanting to show it. And they have had no problem filling the seats with people that now are going to see it, just like I will tomorrow, in order to show their support of freedom of speech.

My guess is that after they see how much they are losing in sells due to not having it the bigger guys will quickly change their mind here in the next week and add it to their line up also.

Today people turned out in large numbers with screening being sold out, and not a single thing happen other than people going to see a movie.

Sadly I couldn't go today to see the movie, so I will have to wait till tomorrow as it is playing at a theater close to me. I will go that route instead of the rental as I want to help add to the movie ticket sales.

I watched it last night, a bit cheesy but it was nice to see a new release at home for $7 versus a babysitter to look after my son, scheduling sleep around my newborn daughter, and spending >$50 at the cinema.

This movie is available for rent/purchase on Google/Youtube/Xbox in Canada and for rental at www.seetheinterview.com for those in the US:

For those not in Canada/US, get on a VPN then rent it. Of note, if you are going the YouTube route, it is limited to 480P on a x86 HTPC - Android/Chromecast devices are allowed 1080p and are recommended for viewing. Normally my HTPC has no issues with YouTube, but their rentals have some extra DRM that bogged it down (accidentally left my Apache httpd server running, updated flash, AMD Radeon drivers required an update).

Back