Sony announcement on 20th

Ive always noticed that PSN is pretty slow compared to many other sites....do they have a stateside server farm? You'd think they would but....this is a corporation we are talking about...anybody happen to know where our PSN downloads come from?

I really DO hope they upgrade their systems to perform better though, especially if they are going to be adding the load of live game streaming and all the social media stuff. Im sure they could compress the live stream to hell and make it a tiny footprint but that would be annoying to watch a 640x480 resolution video (or less) stretched across a 1920x1080 screen.

That's my point. I recently had to re download all my PS+ games and it took 2 full days to download 250 GB worth of games after replacing my hard drive. It took me a few hours to do the same thing on steam. Downloads over wireless on the Wii U are faster. PSN is just slow always had been.

Who the hell needs 250GB of games accessible all at the same time?

Who the hell needs 250GB of games accessible all at the same time?

What's the point of PS+ if you don't have the games available to play?

But the worst part of PSN is how every step is slow and complicated.

Xbox - go to xbox.com, add games to your queue, they are downloaded in background and read to play

PS3 - go to PSN store. Select game, start download, switch to 'background mode' if possible, wait hours. Then pick game, wait for 'installing', another long wait, then it's ready.

Thankfully they finally have this fixed in PS4.

I think it will be slightly weaker, but more versatile in the living room. Probably a DVR/Cable box, media center, game center, all wrapped in one device.

That's the kind of direction I feel Microsoft is headed towards especially after that "leaked" proof-of-concept/smattering of ideas PDF slide. Especially considering that the other rumor going around is a dedicated Xbox Live settop box to compete with Roku, Google Play, and Apple TV. It'd be diskless and everthhing will be streamed or downloaded. So, Microsoft would have two kinds of livingroom boxes-- a settop box and a console.

But, looking at the Digital Foundry rumor article, it might be a lot closer to what you just mentioned-- an all-in-one multimedia box. It'll handle next gen games but should come in slightly more affordable than the PS4 because of the 8GB of DDR3 RAM. That and a highly modified Win 8 OS kernel, Live Tiles, ModernUI-cum-Xbox Live UI is going to be the de facto UI. (in a sense, we already know what the UI will be on the Xbox Next just by looking at the 360 Dashboard and Windows 8 Modern UI.)

250GB is not a lot of games when you figure one game can take up 50GB or more

Most games surprisingly don't exceed 18gb and to those who question that much being downloaded. If I want to play a game why in the hell would I want to wait for it to download. That's the point. Its there I hit start and go. This weeks free game was vanquish really fun game.

What's the point of PS+ if you don't have the games available to play?

But the worst part of PSN is how every step is slow and complicated.

Xbox - go to xbox.com, add games to your queue, they are downloaded in background and read to play

PS3 - go to PSN store. Select game, start download, switch to 'background mode' if possible, wait hours. Then pick game, wait for 'installing', another long wait, then it's ready.

Thankfully they finally have this fixed in PS4.
This is 100% accurate , I really hope they fix that. This is also why I think they will start charging for their service. Parts of live cost is the huge cloud data center that runs all this shit. Not all just p2p boys. BTW Netflix runs part of their service though the same data center.

Sony have announced and specifically said that all PS4 games will be available as digital downloads as well as physical media.

This is 100% accurate , I really hope they fix that. This is also why I think they will start charging for their service. Parts of live cost is the huge cloud data center that runs all this shit. Not all just p2p boys. BTW Netflix runs part of their service though the same data center.

They said online was free. Like PS+ you get extra bonuses if you pay. If you want to use their cloud or streaming service for PS1-3 games, that's extra.

Sony have announced and specifically said that all PS4 games will be available as digital downloads as well as physical media.

I can easily see this. PS3 has been good getting new games on digital if you want. I'm pretty sure games like Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3, Sly 4 and more even had preorders on PSN.

I hope that new DS4 is a little bigger my hands always cramp when playing on the PS3 but never on the Xbox or any Nintendo's systems or my older machines like Dreamcast. I swear the dual shock was designed for little girl hands.

It looks like they made the handle fat like the dreamcast, xbox 360, etc.

I hope that new DS4 is a little bigger my hands always cramp when playing on the PS3 but never on the Xbox or any Nintendo's systems or my older machines like Dreamcast. I swear the dual shock was designed for little girl hands.

I would like it to be bigger, and also a bit heavier. I've always preferred the 360 pad, solely due to its greater size and weight. It's not as if i'm going to get tired holding it, and a little weight just feels better to me.

Though I do like the shift towards digital distribution, i for some reason still prefer discs for my game copies. I'm usually not a day 1 purchase for console games I follow, but if they had a pre-download option like steam with unlocks, I think I would consider downloading more games.

Hmmm, so a bit heavier, but still closer in weight to a DS3 than a 360 pad. Oh well. At least it's bigger, and looks more comfortable. Has it been said anywhere what the material is on the backside of the controller? I can't tell if it's a rubbery grip or just textured plastic.

I hope it's rubbery, either way it should be more grippy than the previous models.

My concern is: I didn't like having to plug my PS3 controller into the PS3 to charge it. It seems this one might be the same way " USB 3.0 host powered". I guess a charging station could eliminate that..?

I hope it's rubbery, either way it should be more grippy than the previous models.

My concern is: I didn't like having to plug my PS3 controller into the PS3 to charge it. It seems this one might be the same way " USB 3.0 host powered". I guess a charging station could eliminate that..?

The PS3 controller is not limited to charging by way of the PS3 console - it could be charged from any USB device. PC, laptop, phone charger, etc. Sony also released a very decent first-party stand-alone charging station, and I would think they'd do the same with the PS4.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The change in PS4 is it will charge the controller even when it's off.

Btw does the DS3 charge last longer than Xbox? The Xbox controllers eat batteries like they are starving.

The change in PS4 is it will charge the controller even when it's off.

Btw does the DS3 charge last longer than Xbox? The Xbox controllers eat batteries like they are starving.

I think the battery life on DS3 is quite good. I've never felt like it was too short, it actually tends to surprise me just how long you do end up getting. and I have a second DS3, so I just rotate them.

DS3 I would say is longer, I sometimes store my ps3 controller (with ps3) for months on end in the closet and it would still have battery life.
My x360 controller I would have to switch battery packs every 4-5 days. Maybe its because the mini keyboard connected to the controller is eating up power.

Over all i think the DS3 has better battery life. I game about 1-2 hours when ever I play either system...

I use my 360 with Eneloops lol. I dont really notice one lasting longer than the other but thats probably because I am using Eneloops while using regular AAs would drain me of some serious $$.

I buy 5 packs at the dollar store for batteries, that I think works out cheaper. I noticed that by default the PS3 controller won't turn off when idle, Xbox will, wonder how this will affect battery life.

I'm pretty happy with PS3 so far, and PSN isn't that slow, I just downloaded a bunch of games and it was fine. Definitely no complaints for a free service.

You can set the ps3 controller to turn off when idle in the system power options.

They don't have a UI.
No, they showed a video that's probably nothing more than a target UI rendering. I don't remember there being any kind of live UI demonstration or run through. Maybe you can link me to that.

What I posted on page 9 is now confirmed as being the UI.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/28/the-playstation-4-interface/

If it performs like the XMB I have no problem with it; I hope it's just a gussied up XMB. Looks like that's generally the idea they're going with.

Here's a really good article on the Ps4 if you missed it: PlayStation 4: The Last of the Game Consoles.

disappointing conference but look forward to launch time. sony will just lie and backtrack till then

I normally don't buy to much into the console vs PC argument, but in regards to the PS4 I think there is an advantage. A lot of gaming PC's have 8 GB of ram but developers cannot make games with that in mind. PS4 has the advantage of 8 GB of ram, with very little going to the OS, unlike with WIndows based games.

So while the PC games may have higher resolution graphics and better textures, I think the PS4 will still have comparable physics and AI for a long time to come. The 8 GB of ram can be used for so many things to improve the experience that PC games don't have the luxury of having.

I normally don't buy to much into the console vs PC argument, but in regards to the PS4 I think there is an advantage. A lot of gaming PC's have 8 GB of ram but developers cannot make games with that in mind. PS4 has the advantage of 8 GB of ram, with very little going to the OS, unlike with WIndows based games.

So while the PC games may have higher resolution graphics and better textures, I think the PS4 will still have comparable physics and AI for a long time to come. The 8 GB of ram can be used for so many things to improve the experience that PC games don't have the luxury of having.

well i wish the devs would do something with 20gbs of ram. Because I have 24GBs right now my next comp this summer will have 64GBs.

well i wish the devs would do something with 20gbs of ram. Because I have 24GBs right now my next comp this summer will have 64GBs.
RAM is super cheap so it's easy to have that much ram, most people still don't, though. PS4, everyone has 8GB, which means every game can be coded to use up every last drop. PC games have to be made for that guy with 2 GB of ram.

That is completely unreasonable and isn't going to happen for a long time. 24GB is beyond overkill for gaming, 64GB is laughable. If you need that much memory for virtual machines or something, great... but you aren't going to see games requiring that much memory for a very long time. Currently, 8GB seems to be the accepted standard for a decent gaming PC, with power users shooting for 16GB, and the budget gamer still trying to get by with 4GB. With the new consoles having 8GB of memory, we'll hopefully start seeing PC games that utilize that much memory also. Once the new consoles are released, it's likely we will see a shift to 8GB being the minimum recommended and 16GB being the ideal configuration... but once that happens its going to remain that way for several years. By the time PC games start asking for 20GB+ of memory, the rest of their requirements are going to be well beyond whatever hardware you're going to be picking up this summer.

If you have a discrete GPU, 4GB of system ram is still enough for any gaming system. Keep in mind almost all games are 32 bit and are limited to how much memory they can use. Even in the event that you have a bloated OS installation, using 2 GB of ram at idle, you still have 2 GB of ram for games (and Windows can page out more if you need it). Games are just now getting to the point of using 2 GB of the primary executable.

Mo Memory Mo Memory Mo Memory! :p

Even the biggest PC fanboy has to admit 8GB... heck even 2 or 4GB for the GPU will help push textures into High/Ultra territory settings for the first time on a console. I would also say imo the PS3 has been only capable of low/medium texture quality.

Seriously though an AMD 8 core should be able to push any single GPU on the PS4 to its full potential. It will be pushing a GPU from 2 or 3 gens behind AMD/Nidia current offerings today I believe. The GDDR5 should also boost the CPU capability/speed a little overall as well... I would think? :confused: What do you guys say?

In the end the PS4 is getting stomped very hard by a fairly high end PC in 2-4 years from its release, but its not like PC games have been mind blowing lately anyway ...BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 3 maybe those r the gems lately if you can run them on Ultra...but not much else imo is pushing hardware/graphics (I don't go for mmo rpgs or console ports or triple screen hype)

If there was a new Half Life 3 and Unreal Tournament I could say PC is still the best for me, but consoles do have a wider overall gaming selection. I'll never play FPS on a DS3/4 only keyboard mouse :) If I gave a shit for grinding I might be into MMO's but it's a life waster imo. PC has lost its reason for me when it comes to games that appeal to me.

The golden era is long over and no its not ever coming back, as far as I can tell.

The last 10 years have sucked pretty hard on PC imho.

Back