Sony And Panasonic Partner To Sell 8K TVs By 2020

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Technically, the article is more about Japan wanting to broadcast the 2020 Olympics in 8K, but it does allude to that year as a potential springboard for 4K’s successor. I feel like 4K just came out yesterday; this may play out similarly to the initial switch to HDTV and the mingling of 720p/1080p sets.

Nikkei reports that Sony plans to start selling its own 8K TVs in 2020, while Panasonic did not disclose a date. The two companies are reportedly happy to work together for the time being to develop the technology, simply because there is no existing market for them to compete over. NHK meanwhile reportedly wants to start full-scale broadcasting of 8K TV in 2018. But even if Japan is ready for 8K by 2020, it's unlikely the rest of the world will be entirely caught up.

heh.. and 4k is almost where it needs to be for price to performance/features.

4k pricing is almost as cheap as 1080 now. You can get a 55" 4k tv at Walmart for 430$, or a 1080p version for 399$. It's just nothing broadcasts in 4k yet, and 4k bluray players are just starting to come out, much like when bluray and hd dvd started out.

Having said all that, 8k is a ways off and not needed anytime soon. Just my little opinion.

Can anyone tell me how a 1080P Blu-Ray looks on a 4K TV?

Saw this 78" SUHD TV in Best Buy it was amazing. Only 10,000 dollars.:rolleyes:

It should look the same as a native 1080P TV. The key here is that every square of 4 4k pixels represents one 1080p pixel. 4k is exactly 2x the horizontal and vertical resolution of 1080P. Problems with different resolutions really come into play when you can't use whole pixels to represent the lower resolution. It's like if you have 4 cupcakes but only 2 people. Each person gets two cupcakes, problem solved. Now imagine if you have 5 cupcakes, but only 2 people. Now you're talking about cutting up cupcakes in order to divide evenly. When you have to start dividing up pixels to accommodate the desired resolution, that creates blur, aliasing issues, etc. Thankfully that is not an issue when it comes to 4k and 1080P.

if you want a step further on info. according to my research sony and Samsung is suppose to have the best upscaling from 480 res and up, supposedly vizio based on the tv series (d, e, m, p, or r,) with the higher end series having better scaling then the lower series, have improved, but still trailing behind sony and Samsung.. I think LG follows somewhere between = to vizio, or inbetween vizio and sony.

rtings.com is a good site for tv reviews... I'm currently looking at sony xbr43x800d. If I can scrap up the money I may go with 2016 vizio p50. I really would love to have the Samsung 49ks8000/8500 tv though. that sony though is probably one of the best bang for the buck, and not that much less PQ than the vizio.

4k pricing is almost as cheap as 1080 now. You can get a 55" 4k tv at Walmart for 430$, or a 1080p version for 399$. It's just nothing broadcasts in 4k yet, and 4k bluray players are just starting to come out, much like when bluray and hd dvd started out.

Having said all that, 8k is a ways off and not needed anytime soon. Just my little opinion.

personally I wouldn't even consider a 4k tv unless it has wide color gamut and hdr. In that aspect, tvs need to come down still.

It should look the same as a native 1080P TV. The key here is that every square of 4 4k pixels represents one 1080p pixel. 4k is exactly 2x the horizontal and vertical resolution of 1080P. Problems with different resolutions really come into play when you can't use whole pixels to represent the lower resolution. It's like if you have 4 cupcakes but only 2 people. Each person gets two cupcakes, problem solved. Now imagine if you have 5 cupcakes, but only 2 people. Now you're talking about cutting up cupcakes in order to divide evenly. When you have to start dividing up pixels to accommodate the desired resolution, that creates blur, aliasing issues, etc. Thankfully that is not an issue when it comes to 4k and 1080P.

Nice explanation...now I'm hungry.

Does a wall mounted TV that is likely mounted 5ft or more away really improve the viewing experience with this increased pixel density? I guess if the size of the screen goes beyond 60 inches maybe, anyway, 8K? Now that's [H]!

Delicious. I don't know whether it is my Samsung up-scaling or my Yamaha receiver, but Blu-Ray looks fantastic on my 4K. Even DVD movies my kids watch hold up decently, better than VHS anyways.

WOW, you guys rock, you made it to where this old dude could understand. I was really worried about my 300+ Blu-Ray collection. Thanks a bunch guys.

I really want an OLED 80" but that will be a little while.

Bluray are still fine. even 4k streaming (Netflix and such) are having a hard time beating the picture and sound quality bluray has. the raw uniterupted bandwidth blu ray provides allows a set picture quality that the internet doesn't. Internet speeds from top to bottom isn't there yet. maybe in another 3 to 5 years..

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
WOW, you guys rock, you made it to where this old dude could understand. I was really worried about my 300+ Blu-Ray collection. Thanks a bunch guys.

I really want an OLED 80" but that will be a little while.
Those BD's are very much still great.

I'm still waiting for an affordable, true 4K projector with HDR. Sony has them, but prices are still a tad high ($10K). The others are pixel-shift pseudo 4K displays... When that happens, I'll upgrade to a 135" screen and be happy.

8K might be out in 2020, but it'll be another 5-7 years before it hits projectors at a decent price...

I think 4K will be the sweet spot in my setup. But, upgrading to a new projector when the old one goes out or lacks features, why not go with the best one at the price point? 4K vs 8K. Even at the viewing distance and screen size, if the cost isn't too much of a difference - why not? You're buying anyway. Upgrading just for the 8K, nah. If you're upgrading anyway, sure.

My Dad saw some of the London Olympics in 8K on a screen owned by the BBC, unfortunately he had to be at the Olympics to see it.
He said it looked real.
(it wasnt a window honest :p)

Unless we are talking 100" screens being in the future, I'm having a hard time seeing how we aren't getting in to the "SACD and DVD-A" realm of video. Sure, by all technical merits it's better, but the perceptible difference isn't there. If anything, this could be the movie industry trying to outpace the practicality of the pirates. 8K video and super duper 10 channel surround sound....good luck downloading that 150GB file over you 24mbps internet.

I think the problem with pixels on flat screens isn't the number of pixels, but the pixels themselves. I can't see the pixels on my DLP because it blurs them due to the nature of a projection. It makes the image soft, but you can't see any pixel borders. 1080p looks great even at 82". But on a flat panel (LCD), you can actually see the pixels because the borders are very defined, and it is distracting. I actually prefer the soft image of DLP and CRT to sterile cleanliness of LCD when watching video. For text though, DLP TV is shit.

My JS9500 will do just fine past 2020. To those on the OLED bandwagon, motion control is awful. Contrast was as good as my panny plasma but even the flagship was a stutter clusterfuck. Quite a few years out still. Samsung has done great with lcd at the top end.

I'm still waiting for an affordable, true 4K projector with HDR. Sony has them, but prices are still a tad high ($10K). The others are pixel-shift pseudo 4K displays... When that happens, I'll upgrade to a 135" screen and be happy.

8K might be out in 2020, but it'll be another 5-7 years before it hits projectors at a decent price...

I think 4K will be the sweet spot in my setup. But, upgrading to a new projector when the old one goes out or lacks features, why not go with the best one at the price point? 4K vs 8K. Even at the viewing distance and screen size, if the cost isn't too much of a difference - why not? You're buying anyway. Upgrading just for the 8K, nah. If you're upgrading anyway, sure.

I'm in the same boat. I have a Panasonic 4000 which I love but when watching 1080p zoomed in to 21:9 it looks good but could be so much better with 4k. It sucks that you can get good 4k TVs for a few grand but it's over $10k for true 4k panel projectors. They need to be under $4,000 for me to switch as I would have to buy a new AVR and run new HDMI (only have 1.4).

For regular TV or even enthusiasts you need are really large TV or be sitting really close for 4k to make a real difference. 8k should be reserved for projectors. You'd need 10 feet or more to make it worth it IMO.

I'm just happy when I can see programs in 1080p instead of 720p.

True, although "HD" through my antenna is pretty good, I'd love to see 1080p OTA if nothing else. If we can't even get 1080p broadcast what is the hope of 4k or 8k? This is excluding UHD BR and whatever an 8k BR equiv would be.

Figures. 4K is finally coming down in price and now let's talk about 8K. You know what no one is talking about though? Source material.

Broadcast HDTV is still 720p or 1080i. Not even 1080p. Bluray 4K just came out, and the players are $400, and the movies are about $5-10 more than 1080p Blurays ($25-30 based on a glance at Amazon new releases).

We still don't get everything broadcast in full 1080p... Quality 4K content is still hard to come by. Ultra HD Blu-rays are compressed to hell to fit on the disc. With streaming services you're better off just streaming the 1080p version. I'm not even going to begin thinking about 8K until the market is fully saturated with 4K. Infrastructure, storage mediums, and content need to catch up first.

Improving for the sake of selling is all this is. I'll stick to my 1080p set. Most TV by satellite/cable is in 720p. In all honesty a 1080 vs 4k 55" at 12 feet look identical to me even given a 4K source.

I'm all for higher res, better blacks and wide gamut; but for my needs of watching movies and various series, my nearly 10 year old 52" 720p Panasonic plasma still looks very good and the larger pixels aren't that bad from across the living room.

Now, a 60" 8K 60hz computer monitor.... that could have value. Of course I'd need SLI Titan X (or whatever the new one is called) just to get 30fps

The prices have dropped on 4k sets. But There's still a $100 premium over the same 1080p screen size.

The big names have simply stopped playing in 1080p lands because they have nothing to compete with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-40FS3800-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00UB9UJFQ

That's a 1080p TV with a surprisingly decent screen plus Roku for a hundred less than an entry-level 4k TV with potentially terrible smart software.

I don't know where you see a 55" 4k set for under $530 anywhere, unless it's refurb.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The prices have dropped on 4k sets. But There's still a $100 premium over the same 1080p screen size.

The big names have simply stopped playing in 1080p lands because they have nothing to compete with this:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-40FS3800-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00UB9UJFQ

That's a 1080p TV with a surprisingly decent screen plus Roku for a hundred less than an entry-level 4k TV with potentially terrible smart software.

I don't know where you see a 55" 4k set for under $530 anywhere, unless it's refurb.

Was at Walmart yesterday, they had https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55US5800...ie=UTF8&qid=1472584067&sr=1-1&keywords=TCL+4K on sale for $480 I believe.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They should focus on OLED instead of this junk.

I'm going to get slammed for this, but OLED is just pure shit beyond small form factor displays, and even there they have way too many problems and shortfalls. Decay, NASTY burn in, price... there are just too many things going against large form factor displays that will last under heavy use and not end up looking like pure burned in washed out asshole.

I'm going to get slammed for this, but OLED is just pure shit beyond small form factor displays, and even there they have way too many problems and shortfalls. Decay, NASTY burn in, price... there are just too many things going against large form factor displays that will last under heavy use and not end up looking like pure burned in washed out asshole.

Eh I've owned a 1080p OLED for almost 2 years and haven't had any issues. No burn in whatsoever. Recently upgraded to one the 4K OLEDs as well.

Whether the tech goes fully mainstream remains to be seen but I am sure as hell never buying another LCD again.

Back