Sony and Hotz Settle Out of Court

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Sony and George Hotz have settled out of court. So much for all the smack talk (on both sides) about kicking each others ass in court. Sony gets a permanent injunction against Hotz and Hotz can spend his legal defense fund on something other than a trial.

Both parties expressed satisfaction that litigation had been quickly resolved. “Sony is glad to put this litigation behind us,” said Riley Russell, General Counsel for SCEA. “Our motivation for bringing this litigation was to protect our intellectual property and our consumers. We believe this settlement and the permanent injunction achieve this goal.” “It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier,” said Hotz, “I’m happy to have the litigation behind me.” Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

Isn't all the information he had out in the wild already? IE: Sony really gained nothing from this that I can see?

Isn't all the information he had out in the wild already? IE: Sony really gained nothing from this that I can see?

He's probably not going to be able to do any kind of work on hacking Sony products as well. Or at least not make any of that kind of work public.

So Geohot is permanently enjoined from thinking...

I think this guy can work the 7 proxies thing.

Their current interpretation of the DMCA and copyright law is still intact, so they most certainly didn't lose anything...

He's probably not going to be able to do any kind of work on hacking Sony products as well. Or at least not make any of that kind of work public.

Good riddance i say. He was a decent coder and got quite a bit of shit done but he is such a fucking egomaniac im glad he is gone.

When you do shit like this you want to at least try and remain anonymous not make big fucking announcements and set release dates after your work is finished just to drum up hype.

He really should have fought it though. I can just about imagine Jobs seeing this and doing the same to him.

Good riddance i say. He was a decent coder and got quite a bit of shit done but he is such a fucking egomaniac im glad he is gone.

When you do shit like this you want to at least try and remain anonymous not make big fucking announcements and set release dates after your work is finished just to drum up hype.

He really should have fought it though. I can just about imagine Jobs seeing this and doing the same to him.

Jailbreaking is legal, Apple couldn't do anything if they wanted to.

Well, sure, but I thought that the work he released already pretty much was all that needed to be released to enable people to use "backups" to play on the PS3?

I guess what I'm saying is: Cow is already out of the barn, and Sony is trying to close the door after the fact.. What do they get out of this?

This is a huge win for Hotz. He avoids trial and the cost. Sony gains little to nothing. The information is out there.

Settled out of court just means that Geohot got a big payday both from Sony and from the legal defense fund donators. Good for him, I wish more people would go about it that way.

Settled out of court just means that Geohot got a big payday both from Sony and from the legal defense fund donators. Good for him, I wish more people would go about it that way.

Yeah, Sony got a permanent injunction against him and then gave him some kicking around cash. Seriously? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

As far as keeping the excess legal defense money...you can guarantee that.

I am very disappointed that Hotz didn't take Sony to the mat on this, just pussed out and agreed to a permanent injunction against him :(

lame.

Yeah, Sony got a permanent injunction against him and then gave him some kicking around cash. Seriously? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

I am very disappointed that Hotz didn't take Sony to the mat on this, just pussed out and agreed to a permanent injunction against him :(

lame.

Can't really blame him. The judge was giving Sony everything they asked for. Holtz really didn't have much of a chance when the odds were stacked so much against him.

Supposedly this was a done deal 10 days ago, so the whole Anon thing was for nothing. :(

Actually, Anon plans to continue. Though, not all members maybe participating.

demingo said:
This is a huge win for Hotz. He avoids trial and the cost. Sony gains little to nothing. The information is out there.
How could this possibly be a win for Hotz? Sony made him agree to never hack one of their products every again. On top of that, there is no clear definition in how far someone can go to hack a console, before Sony lawyers are upon you.

This could have gone three ways.

#1 Sony wins, and Hotz goes to jail. This would scare any hackers away from jail breaking any console.

#2 Sony loses, and it's a big win for consumers. Now, anyone can hack their console, without fear.

#3 Sony settles with hotz. This depends on what Sony and Hotz demanded. In this situation, it's like Sony won, without pissing off their customers. Which is an even bigger win for Sony. Sony claims Hotz won, but in reality he didn't.

Anyone who's angry at hotz, shouldn't. He's a young man, and any of us would have done what he did. Make sure he didn't end up in jail, getting butt raped by a man called Bubba. You would shit your pants, if you were him. I'm amazed he last this long.

Actually, Anon plans to continue. Though, not all members maybe participating.

How could this possibly be a win for Hotz? Sony made him agree to never hack one of their products every again. On top of that, there is no clear definition in how far someone can go to hack a console, before Sony lawyers are upon you.

This could have gone three ways.

#1 Sony wins, and Hotz goes to jail. This would scare any hackers away from jail breaking any console.

#2 Sony loses, and it's a big win for consumers. Now, anyone can hack their console, without fear.

#3 Sony settles with hotz. This depends on what Sony and Hotz demanded. In this situation, it's like Sony won, without pissing off their customers. Which is an even bigger win for Sony. Sony claims Hotz won, but in reality he didn't.

Anyone who's angry at hotz, shouldn't. He's a young man, and any of us would have done what he did. Make sure he didn't end up in jail, getting butt raped by a man called Bubba. You would shit your pants, if you were him. I'm amazed he last this long.

Why do people keep talking about jail? Private companies can't send people to jail. Sony was SUING Hotz, not having him arrested. So no he never would have gone to jail, but he could have been facing extensive legal fees and a huge settlement.

lame.
It's probably not even worth mentioning at this point, but Geohot's comments on his blog seem to imply he's saving his energy for a much larger and more important case. Not sure what it is, but he said it should be revealed soon. No idea what it might be.

QFT! It's like a bank robber stealing $324,230 and the next day going into that SAME BANK and making a deposit for $324,230.

No wait, there's still a tiny sliver of a chance that the above is just a coincidence, Hotz left no question he was the one that did it!

It's probably not even worth mentioning at this point, but Geohot's comments on his blog seem to imply he's saving his energy for a much larger and more important case. Not sure what it is, but he said it should be revealed soon. No idea what it might be.

The comments on his site are 90% of people pissed about donating money to him and having him wuss out.

Saddest part, one dude was mad because he donated $500 because Hotz said he would fight and all GeoHotz could say to him was "trust me..."

Hotz has the names and addy's of every person that donated to him, he needs to return every single dime not spent. EVERY. SINGLE. DIME. At least refund the people complaining. :(

The comments on his site are 90% of people pissed about donating money to him and having him wuss out.

Saddest part, one dude was mad because he donated $500 because Hotz said he would fight and all GeoHotz could say to him was "trust me..."

Hotz has the names and addy's of every person that donated to him, he needs to return every single dime not spent. EVERY. SINGLE. DIME. At least refund the people complaining. :(

Oh come on, are people really shocked that their internet hero caved?

Plus you just know that in a few days he will post something about how he donated the rest of the money to the EFF or had already spent all of the money donated to him. He needs to keep his fans happy.

QFT! It's like a bank robber stealing $324,230 and the next day going into that SAME BANK and making a deposit for $324,230.

No wait, there's still a tiny sliver of a chance that the above is just a coincidence, Hotz left no question he was the one that did it!

Hotz is an egomaniac. He wanted everyone to know who he was. He expected people to be in awe and give him all the praise in the world. I doubt for a single moment he thought about the ramifications of his stupidity.

good for him for getting off the hook.

hopefully Graf_chokolo ends up with a similar settlement, although I can't imagine him stopping either. It's a little disappointing that this did set a precedent, but on the flip side, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I wonder who caved first... sadly, we'll probably never find out.

Reading the comments on that PS3 blog...I had no idea PS3 fanboys were that naive. "This will end cheating on the PS3 platform". Really?

I have a PS3 that I bought from my brother for $150 and I still feel cheated. I don't play any games on it, so really all it is for me is a glorified media server, and the music streaming sucks. Also, a good number of recent MKVs don't play because of an issue with PS3 Media Server, the Cinavia audio encryption is a pain in the ass, the constant firmware updates that I have to download through Sony's slow ass network just to use Netflix are a huge annoyance, etc.

I'm going to build a media PC and then never touch this thing again.

I have a PS3 that I bought from my brother for $150 and I still feel cheated. I don't play any games on it, so really all it is for me is a glorified media server, and the music streaming sucks. Also, a good number of recent MKVs don't play because of an issue with PS3 Media Server, the Cinavia audio encryption is a pain in the ass, the constant firmware updates that I have to download through Sony's slow ass network just to use Netflix are a huge annoyance, etc.

to make all of this have a point, tl;dr Sony's products are shitty anyways, fuck them.

You mean those numerous firmware updates that you had to download only because people were cracking the PS3 open like eggs hitting the floor? Yeah blame Sony for those, F THEM!!!

to make all of this have a point, tl;dr Sony's products are shitty anyways, fuck them.

makes for a decent BluRay player and updates are hella lot easier than on most BD STBs... though for a real console/MCE I'm much happier with my 360 (hell I'm happy with my mod'd wii+WiiMC over PS3's media center crap)

You mean those numerous firmware updates that you had to download only because people were cracking the PS3 open like eggs hitting the floor? Yeah blame Sony for those, F THEM!!!
Just ban people who have modded the system, trying to patch every single workaround someone comes up with is a losing battle now. They know it. It's just inconveniencing their legitimate customers. And I don't even play games on my console, having to update my firmware all the time to use Netflix is really inconvenient.

Hotz didn't have much of a choice. Had he been willing to fight this to the finish, Sony would have just dropped the case.

Sony backing out is a bitch tactic that a legal bully takes when they're afraid they're going to lose and a precedent they don't want to set might get set.

It's how many people are shitting on him based "No" reall information doled out on a fucking playstation why dont you actually wait until you see some real news on this.

and on the donation shit. quit making up shit please. You have no idea what he's doing with the money. He's done nothing to show he's been anything less than honest about the case. Most likely if he'd continued the case Sony would have managed to get the ban on console modding passed. There's no other reason why he backed out. Hell we don't even know if he backed out.

Sounds like they had him in a corner for wrong doing on publishing code.

Sony in a surprise move said that it had already settled its lawsuit against George Hotz, better known as Geohot, over PS3 jailbreaking. The two had quietly reached an "agreement in principle" on March 31. The deal was mixed and saw Hotz agree to a ban on publishing code but avoid having to admit any wrongdoing.

"It was never my intention to cause any users trouble or to make piracy easier," Hotz said, reiterating what he had said from the beginning. Sony was also keen to exonerate Hotz from the round of Anonymous denial of service attacks.

Hotz's hopes to keep the case in New Jersey rather than Sony's preferred San Francisco was still ongoing, but it wasn't expected to last in the wake of the settlement. Most of the terms of the deal weren't immediately public.

Sony spun the settlement as a win for protecting against cheaters and pirates. The company had been repeatedly criticized, however, for a scorched earth attitude to the lawsuit that had seen it try to collect information on everyone who had even inquired about the jailbreak, whether or not they'd helped create it or even use it. It got permission to track visitiors to Hotz's website and even to get account information on YouTube members who had visited private jailbreak videos.

Sony had also tried to disparage Hotz's character as much as possible and had accused him of fleeing the country when he had been on spring vacation.

Legal action is still underway to settle some of the debate over jailbreaking, which started only after Sony closed off access to the Other OS feature with the PS3 3.21 firmware. An opposing lawsuit has noted that Sony expressly promised it would keep the option to install Linux or other platforms on pre-slim PS3s, only to reneg on that promise later on. The company initially claimed it was only for security, only to change its tone and mention cheating and piracy months later.

What country are you in?

Yeah I poorly worded that one. I was hoping no one would call me on it. What I meant was: Private companies aren't police, them bringing a person to court isn't a legal matter its a civil one.

hypothetically speaking say his big project is the playstation phone he hacks it he breaks the injunction he now has to fight that the injunction was illegal or use some legal loophole... Like abandoning the name geohot... and doing it anonymously under a different name... My guess is his lawyer came up with sony has you by the short and curlies take a deal... When perhaps sony just bought his lawyer. Or perhaps sony bought him and his bigger project is going to official work for sony...

Back