Sony Admits Users' Personal Data Was Stolen

pretty ironic considered Amazons cloud was recently down for an extended amount of time...

As has been mentioned already, it did not lose or let anyone's credentials become victim to hackers.

As far as communication went, if you check out the status page, they have logged what they have been working on during the downtime. http://status.aws.amazon.com/

I'd say Amazon did a good job compared to Sony which let these hackers alone with the data for 6 days before notifying everyone (granted they may not have known the extent of the damage)

doesn't matter that it wasn't hacked, doesn't matter that they communicated with their customers. If you had something important on their cloud, you had zero access to it for an extended and indeterminate amount of time. For that reason I do not trust the cloud 100% with my information :)

Since I can't edit. Granted people didn't have access to the cloud, this is a thread focusing on the level of security Sony provided, not uptime.

Amazon wasn't hacked. They had a technical issue that caused an outage in one of their data centers. From what I've read, they were also communicated very well with their customers.

Sony was hacked and didn't tell their customers for a week.

From what I've read they haven't communicated very well at all. They never actually said what went wrong, and at no point did they say anything more than things like 'Well, this part is working, no idea when that part will be.' They may very well have been hacked and just haven't told anybody yet - they certainly haven't said WHAT exactly brought down their network at the same time Sony was being attacked.

i was so close to giving sony my billing info when they had that Netflix 30day promo, so glad i didn't and they never will get me to enter my billing info now.

TODAY, is a good day not to be a sony customer.

This is HUGE news, and will get bigger as details will hopefully be made more clear in the coming days. As well as a good insight into sony's dubious corporate culture & a SHINING example of how they value their customers.

Hmm, hiding a data breach... Wow...

Sony should do the honorable thing... and stab themselves with a samurai sword in the chest. you only got one chance so make sure to do it right and go from left side to the right side of your chest.

Funny... I just put my PS3 online two weeks ago to get it on Netflix. I am thankful I used my spam trap account and I did not put in my full name or any CC info into my PSN profile.

Its about time governments start seriously clamping down on information handling and retention by third parties... some of the info PSN retains is not necessary for the everyday operation of it (ie.. they do not need to know my exact address - my sign-on IP address is good enough for country verification).

an aside: Microsoft has a pretty goof online evovlving security model I think going (-- evolving is the key word)... not often you here of a en-mass data breach from MS - knock on wood. A breach of Microsoft's passport system would make this look like a joke.

Relax guys. Anonymous needs to sell your personal information to fight for freedom for us all. It's okay. It's for a good cause.

Wouldn't it just be cheaper for Sony to have a "disposal team" on standby over every continent? I mean, they're a huge company. I'm sure they can contract out some mercs indefinitely.

Damn, Japan is taking a beating this year. 18,000+ dead. Tsunami's, Earthquakes and after shocks and In the middle of all this Sony has to deal with dip shits who think they are entitled to something because Sony was forced to change something to fight piracy.....
So if the PSN is down for another month I'll understand.

Read this over at cnbc

Sony: PlayStation Breach Involves 70 Million Subscribers

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42769019

Six days after a security breach of its PlayStation Network, Sony said Tuesday that the incursion was much worse than expected and hackers had obtained personal information on 70 million subscribers.

And do not ever think that Sony will come clean. They will do their very best to cover this crap up. I wouldnt expect any news from Sony themselves in this matter, its the corp culture there to cover-up and lie.

Maybe I wasn't clear...

The stealing CC# info isn't what the users deserved, but Sony now has a pissed off user base and another set of users who aren't empathetic in the least. I've never pirated a game but i'm not unable to play previous playstation titles because they deemed it inappropriate.

Sony: Sorry, I understand you paid for your hardware but you can't do that or that because we'd like to pocket more cash by offering something which was brought about by creative users who managed to make their lives easier.

It's the principle that really ticks me off. If I want to put my iphone on vibrate and make repeated calls to my gay boyfriend have his way with it, apple shouldn't have the right to say no, you can't do that (sorry to be so graphic, but i find it brings the point across a little better =P no, i'm not gay ).

Furthermore, Sony opened a can of worms with that decision. First they pissed off a lot of people, then they got hacked and denied that it was a DNS attack and failed to address it, and now they were hacked and maybe had their customers' private info stolen. It's been one thing after another, and though these things happened due to some pissed off hackers, Sony hasn't been up front and truthful since the beginning.

PS - the stealing CC info isn't an act of dissent, it's a way of making money by stealing someone's identity and absolutely stupid and illegal. But the fact that it can happen is a fault of Sony for not being wary and actually protecting their customers' private and important information.

So when is the government going to pass a law making corporations responsible for their servers that are under their care. Do you know how much it costs to get your identity back when its stolen. Will start with the easiest cost to figure. How much does a lawyer charge per hour to help defend you against charges brought up against you because of this id theft. Unless it has happened to you, your in for a big shock if it does. All this info opens up a can of worms, passports, drivers licenses, morgages, credit cards, etc. If your young you'll say no big deal, if your older, it becomes a very big deal.

lol @ all the sony haters. While this is terrible news, anyone with any type of forensic security background knows this is probably the itme it took them, within a day or two at least, to find out that customer data was indeed compromised. You dont announce it potentially was when it might not be. While you would wish a company to err on the side of caution, thats not whats going to happen.

As has been mentioned already, it did not lose or let anyone's credentials become victim to hackers.

As far as communication went, if you check out the status page, they have logged what they have been working on during the downtime. http://status.aws.amazon.com/

I'd say Amazon did a good job compared to Sony which let these hackers alone with the data for 6 days before notifying everyone (granted they may not have known the extent of the damage)

and that Amazon wasnt hacked...it had massive data center failure due to lightning strikes.

Damn, Japan is taking a beating this year. 18,000+ dead. Tsunami's, Earthquakes and after shocks and In the middle of all this Sony has to deal with dip shits who think they are entitled to something because Sony was forced to change something to fight piracy.....
So if the PSN is down for another month I'll understand.

Oh, please. Did you even bother to glance at the article title? People here are pissed about a data breach, not just the network being down. I don't care if they are still recovering from the quake and tsunami in regards to their data security. If they took my data, they damn well need to keep it safe. Don't give Sony a free pass to mishandle information, most of which they had before the disasters and should have secured before the disasters, just 'cause they are having a few problems at home.

Before someone jumps on me for being heartless, I do care about the Japanese people. However, the disaster in Japan has no relation to the disaster at Sony.

Oh, please. Did you even bother to glance at the article title? People here are pissed about a data breach, not just the network being down. I don't care if they are still recovering from the quake and tsunami in regards to their data security. If they took my data, they damn well need to keep it safe. Don't give Sony a free pass to mishandle information, most of which they had before the disasters and should have secured before the disasters, just 'cause they are having a few problems at home.

Before someone jumps on me for being heartless, I do care about the Japanese people. However, the disaster in Japan has no relation to the disaster at Sony.

I'm pissed at the person or people that did this and I'm pissed at Sony for simply not having themselves a lot better setup and prepared than the likes of this.

While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

What else did the hackers go for? They just wanted addresses to send people Pizza Hut flyers?
I never liked PSN becuase it was boring compared to XBOX Live, then I quit consoles all together. Another reason why I'm happy with my decision.

What else did the hackers go for? They just wanted addresses to send people Pizza Hut flyers?
I never liked PSN becuase it was boring compared to XBOX Live, then I quit consoles all together. Another reason why I'm happy with my decision.

70 million accounts of personal information, usernames, and purchase history is pure gold to spammers.

70 million accounts of personal information, usernames, and purchase history is pure gold to spammers.

I know, but I knew the credit card data was compromised from the beginning, they just took their time with the information.
Truthfully, I can't see how they will possibility gain back the "educated" consumers trust.
If I owned a PS3, there would be zero chance I sign back up with them and sell the console on CL/forums.

Relax guys. Anonymous needs to sell your personal information to fight for freedom for us all. It's okay. It's for a good cause.
Anonymous denied any involvement and Sony says it's a single person. If you have information that isn't known to Sony or the authorities, you should probably bring it to them.

REALLY? They get inconvenienced, maybe lose a few users.

This whole problem the hackers/attackers have caused is hurting US, THE GAMERS!

It's the infantile hackers that mess things up for us gamers constantly. It doesn't really hurt Sony's bottom line in the long run.

You're part of the problem if you think what these hackers did was good for gamers.
If you use a PS3 to plays games, then you're not a gamer. Gamers play games on PCs.

You didnt buy the hardware, you bought a license to use it at sony's discretion. It sucks, but you agreed to it.
No, I bought the hardware. There's no agreement when I buy it at the store. I hand them money, it's mine.

I can play that game too. You see, when Sony took my money, they signed a fuck off agreement. It means, I can do whatever I want with this, and you can fuck off.
it isnt the same as ISP banning torrents, it is Sony choosing to stop something that we all know would be used for %99.999999999999 of people to play illegal downloaded games.
I can assure you, as someone who mods consoles, it's never used for piracy.

Modded my Xbox for.... XBMC. Yea, this was before I built my HTPC.
Modded my Xbox 360 for... emulators. Yea, also before my HTPC.
Modded my PSP for... emulators. Before I could do this on my cell phone.

So yea, my Xbox 360 and PSP collect dust, but that's what I used them for. You know how fucking amazed I was to see XBMC running? I never thought something that nice could be done by hackers.

If you use a PS3 to plays games, then you're not a gamer. Gamers play games on PCs.

Oh damn, thanks for clearly that up for me. I thought I was playing games on my PS3 but apparently I was just holding up a controller to exercise my fingers.

Oh damn, thanks for clearly that up for me. I thought I was playing games on my PS3 but apparently I was just holding up a controller to exercise my fingers.

That's a Blu-Ray player remote control in your hands. DVD players have games too, so just think of your PS3 as an advanced DVD player. Someone had to tell ya.

I love you.

Anonymous didn't do this. No DDOS attack? Then they didn't do it.

Ya, I bet you their still fat, chubby little fingers.

Ya, I bet you their still fat, chubby little fingers.

Thankfully my mom lets me get on the computer using a special keyboard where my adolescent grease-covered sausage fingers let me type.

Well isnt this how things are done in Japan. Lie and commit fraud. look no further than the current nuclear crisis going on. Nothing but cover-ups and lies from both the Japan Gov and TEPCO. So I would bet that Japan corps do the same thing,

newsflash this is just about how all governments work. Live in the united states? you're living in the example.

I'm glad I did the right thing and emptied my accounts a day or so after this happened. Now to change my credit card info. I can say I was a plus subscriber, but I may cancel that. No more keeping my info on there either. I'll still use PSN. Once you're down there's only one way to go right? Hopefully, Sony learns from this and we have a safer, more secure PSN. Sony has said they expect to restore some services within a week. Check out the Playstation Blog.

newsflash this is just about how all governments work. Live in the united states? you're living in the example.

It's also how all private companies work as well, private business is the most crooked thing ever.

It's also how governments work as well, governments are the most crooked thing ever.
corrected that for you. we all know some private business is crooked but you can't say it's worse than the government. ;)

corrected that for you. we all know some private business is crooked but you can't say it's worse than the government. ;)

It's `1000x worse, they will kill, polute, poison and rob. If you like private business you hate humans and advocate killing women and children so you can make a buck. It is the worst thing ever and only supported by fools bought off.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous to mankind and freedom. And it's a shame some Americans that want to kill, poison, and rob our own people support them.

Yes, you can. Private corporations are accountable to nothing and no one but the law of capital accumulation - profit over people. Democratic government, on the other hand, may be larded with a bureaucracy that afflicts any large-scale human enterprise, but that problem is tempered by the built-in corrective system of voting.

Crooked bunch of politicians? Vote them out. Crooked bunch of corporations? Eat their shit and enjoy the largest economic recession since 1929.

Unfortunately, there's a large gaggle of dumb fools in America who think their purpose in life is to try (and utterly fail) to get rich while screwing over other Americans, so they never figure out that they're the ones getting screwed with their "hurf durf down with guv'mint" mentality.

Wonder if they were up on their PCI compliancy? Guessing not for this to have happen.

Back