Sony A7R II with Internal 4K(non-crop), S-LOG, Native 800 ISO, Global Shutter, 42MP

erek

[H]F Junkie
Reports are that Sony's got Canon lenses working well with their own autofocus adapter...if it's actually true, then it's official: Sony makes a better Canon camera than Canon does. ;)

Very nice! Good days ahead for camera bodies. Nikon better do some catching up too. Looking forward to the options that are available next time I'm ready to upgrade in a few years.

Some companies are really forward thinking, some of them used to be.

Canon unfortunately has a lot of slow non-progressive people at the top. In the 80's and through most of the 90's, Canon was pushing like crazy. These guys've forgotten what that is and what that looks like.

Canon has more money (literally) and a bigger R&D division than Nikon or Sony. They could throw out some crazy 16DR, 500 zone, dual pixel AF, internally stabilized, 4K monster, but they've been pulling punches.

This gives the 5DIV an opportunity to "make the corrections". I finally got my hands on a 5DIII (just a few months now before the end of the cycle) and I'm extremely pleased with it as a system. I will say this: Sony definitely has every check box on the spec war, but the real question I have is does it win at the usability war?

Despite Canon's "spec slowness" they made a quantum leap from the 5D2=>5D3 in terms of ease of use to create a picture. I've had the 5D3 a week and this thing blows my mind with how well the controls work. I was quick with a 5D2, the 5D3's autofocus alone makes quick work of most subjects. Switching between AF patterns is quick, and with the customizable controls I can shoot in full manual almost as quickly as I can in Aperture Priority. I've played around for a short period of time with some Fuji's and Sony's RX system. I haven't had a chance to play with the Sony's. I have no doubt they take great pictures (as everyone has a chance to see their raws through various review sites), but is it as great in the hands to work with? I almost feel like all of the advantages of the Sony will be met with penalty of, if not ease of use, then working speed.

For what it's worth though (and being on balance), I think that several other manufacturers have missed the mark in terms of pulling punches.

Phase One released the new XF, and it still only has one AF point. I hear it's a really great AF point, but would it have killed them to even have 3? It's crazy to me that 3 AF points could be a killer feature in the Medium Format world. The XF will likely be Phase's only camera for the next 4-5 years... and it only has one AF point. If Hasselblad counters with a new body with a better AF system then that's a huge problem.

Pentax needs to make Leaf Shutter Lenses for the 645z and subsequent systems. If they do they will essentially be making an MF system for 1/4 the cost of Phase and Hasselblad with no penalty (other than not having access to Capture One).

So there is still tons of opportunities in the market. Canon will learn their lesson after getting spanked and these other companies will eventually learn that they can't pull punches either. It's strange to me how they are a country that reads "Go Rin no Sho" as part of their curriculum, know that: "business is war" and still play the game conservatively.

Reports are that Sony's got Canon lenses working well with their own autofocus adapter...if it's actually true, then it's official: Sony makes a better Canon camera than Canon does. ;)

Hmm, thanks for bringing this up ... I was actually wondering about Canon EF Adapters for the Sony because I have this Zeiss Otus Distagon 55mm F/1.4 and the aperture control is electronic. Would be pretty interesting if the Otus (Canon EF mount) is adaptable to the Sony A7R II

I finally got my hands on a 5DIII (just a few months now before the end of the cycle) and I'm extremely pleased with it as a system. I will say this: Sony definitely has every check box on the spec war, but the real question I have is does it win at the usability war?

Despite Canon's "spec slowness" they made a quantum leap from the 5D2=>5D3 in terms of ease of use to create a picture. I've had the 5D3 a week and this thing blows my mind with how well the controls work.

Have you looked into Magic Lantern "firmware" for Auto ETTR (Expose To The Right of the Histogram for a better Signal to Noise Ratio) module and also their 14-bit RAW Uncompressed Continuous 1080p Video / RAW Audio support?

I finally got my hands on a 5DIII (just a few months now before the end of the cycle) and I'm extremely pleased with it as a system. I will say this: Sony definitely has every check box on the spec war, but the real question I have is does it win at the usability war?

Despite Canon's "spec slowness" they made a quantum leap from the 5D2=>5D3 in terms of ease of use to create a picture. I've had the 5D3 a week and this thing blows my mind with how well the controls work.

Have you looked into Magic Lantern "firmware" for Auto ETTR (Expose To The Right of the Histogram for a better Signal to Noise Ratio) module and also their 14-bit RAW Uncompressed Continuous 1080p Video / RAW Audio support?

Also there is a "silent full resolution picture" module that will allow you to take pictures without wasting shutter cycles and prolonging the life of your shutter mechanism.

I don't do much video work (yet). So I don't have a use for video raw (and I wouldn't use audio raw, because I'd use an H4N with appropriate mics to record audio).

If I'm in the studio I have "exposed to the right" and then of course brought down the exposure level in post. I don't need magic lantern to do that for me as at the point I'm doing it all in manual anyway. And of course I have the time to take test shots and play with things in Capture One.

Magic Lantern as far as I can tell does amazing things for video, but doesn't do anything all that special for stills. I looked into it briefly, but until I get to a point where I want to record more video I probably won't end up using it.

Magic Lantern as far as I can tell does amazing things for video, but doesn't do anything all that special for stills. I looked into it briefly, but until I get to a point where I want to record more video I probably won't end up using it.

The "silent full resolution picture" can really save a lot of wear and tear on the shutter mechanism though and is for photography use specifically. Essentially it allows you to take a full resolution sampling of the sensor (a still) without the need for a shutter actuation.

Back