Sony 900f/900e as a computer monitor

Bigjohns97

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone tried this, looking to get a new computer monitor and everything good 32-42 is like 800 bucks and if i am going to spend that kind of money i want some real HDR monitor with some real size.

I noticed the 900e/900f have 1080p@120hz which would be great for fps and also can switch over to 4k for slower paced games.

Looking to hear from anyone who has done the same with these Sony's.

I used a x900e as my main display for a few months and think it's a great TV.

I never bothered with 1080p/120hs because Sony did something funky with scaling that is corrected on the x900f since it uses the newer chipset.

Yeah there is also the main fact that i could run the RVU setup on this and watch directv directly on the tv without the need for a box which is very interesting for me. I really think this is going to be the best option for me as a large computing and gaming monitor as the YT videos of 1080p@120hz look really sharp and I am not really a big fan of 4k with windows scaling.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
This is an intruiging option. A lot of value for basically a grand on something that does well to very well as an "all arounder."

Let me ask some dumb questions:

If you use the 1080p 120hz mode from what I gather... duh, there's no 4k (Not sure why they had to say that)...and HDR and so forth doesn't work, either. What are people using this mode for?

Obviously if you had the hardware you could theoretically game at 4k 60 fps, yes?

Will be watching this thread for more feedback.

I used a x900e as my main display for a few months and think it's a great TV.

What did you move on to?

Last edited:
I wish I could get used to a 49" TV for monitor purposes. I used a 48" Samsung for a few months, but constantly looking up at the screen gave me a lot of neck pain. 40"/43" is as big as I can go for a monitor.

like this
I switched to a B7 OLED and now use a x930e.

Are you using both or did you go from this TV the OLED and then replace the OLED with the x930e? It's just interesting to see what people do and why they do it. :)

People use the 120hz/1080p for competitive shooters or games their hardware struggles to run @ 4K.

Also if you go into the "Professional Mode" service menu on these Sony's, you can set it to PC mode and it wakes up and sleeps like a PC monitor.

Now if Sony added Adaptive Sync to PS4 and I turn updated all their TVs to support it, I would never have to bother with a traditional monitor again.

I can see the appeal here. Gradually I do see some better convergence showing up between "monitors" and "TVs."

I wish this set came in the lower 40s or even high 30s. 49 would be really pushing it in my existing setup.

Last edited:
Its va and does not have local dimming. And 43 is still crazy for a monitor

Slight side tangent:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x800e-series

I'm assuming this is the most current top 43 incher from Sony unless a "850e" or some such is around the corner.

Besides size, I'm assuming I also lose the 1080p 120Hz capability... what else would I would be giving up with something like this vs the 900e?
Sony released a 2018 43" 850F that has a 100hz panel and would be an outstanding monitor. Only one problem: no U.S. release. We're only getting the bigger TVs. :mad:

like this
Sony released a 2018 43" 850F that has a 100hz panel and would be an outstanding monitor. Only one problem: no U.S. release. We're only getting the bigger TVs. :mad:

Aw man... That's a strange decision on their part that I hope they reconsider.

I wish I could get used to a 49" TV for monitor purposes. I used a 48" Samsung for a few months, but constantly looking up at the screen gave me a lot of neck pain. 40"/43" is as big as I can go for a monitor.

This is what worrys me, i just came across a AOC 40" monitor today that was really nice and now it has me thinking since it's right around 500$

Are you using both or did you go from this TV the OLED and then replace the OLED with the x930e? It's just interesting to see what people do and why they do it. :)

I can see the appeal here. Gradually I do see some better convergence showing up between "monitors" and "TVs."

I wish this set came in the lower 40s or even high 30s. 49 would be really pushing it in my existing setup.
A 900f 40" @ 800 would dominate!

like this
Back