Sony 43" X800E vs. X830C

HA5

n00b
How does the Sony XBR43X800E compare to the XBR43X830C as a monitor?

Why does Rtings give the X830C a better PC Monitor rating of 7.9 compared to 7.6 for the X800E?

Rtings still lists the X830C as the best PC Monitor. But, it's weird because it says "The winner is Sony XBR43X830C" and then all the text talks about the X800D. I guess that's because the X830C is so old and not available anymore. But, the X800D can't possibly be the next best choice when the X800E has a better rating. Their own PC Monitor rating for the X800D is only 7.2.

The 830C is apparently capable of 120 Hz output, this is the reason why it's considered good for gaming.

Reactions: HA5
like this
the x830c is 3 years old, good luck finding it. I bought a 43X800E as they are current year model and easy to find so far i'm loving it as a PC monitor for all uses, windows, gaming and movies/tv

How does the Sony XBR43X800E compare to the XBR43X830C as a monitor?

Why does Rtings give the X830C a better PC Monitor rating of 7.9 compared to 7.6 for the X800E?

Rtings still lists the X830C as the best PC Monitor. But, it's weird because it says "The winner is Sony XBR43X830C" and then all the text talks about the X800D. I guess that's because the X830C is so old and not available anymore. But, the X800D can't possibly be the next best choice when the X800E has a better rating. Their own PC Monitor rating for the X800D is only 7.2.
Rtings.com is an excellent resource, but it's important to keep in mind that they explicitly acknowledge their preference of IPS over VA for computer monitor use. That's really the only reason they ranked the 800E over the 800D.

From Rtings' X800E Q&A section:

"Which would be a better choice for a PC monitor an X800E or X800D? I'm looking at a 43" and the new models are about $200 more expensive for me right now. Do you think the new model is better?

For a PC monitor, we always recommend using an IPS TV because of the wider viewing angle. So in that case, the 2017 Sony X800E would be a better option over the 2016 X800D."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e

I mean i've used both over the years and have never been happy with VA's drawbacks be it blurring or input lag (its pretty much always seems one or the other with VA) viewing angles do also matter though with large displays up close even on the X800E's IPS panel i can see some viewing angle shifts on it close range at the far edges, its not so much that i find it annoying but if i look for it and or have an all white screen displayed i see it clear as day on it.

Last edited:
I always preferred IPS for monitor and TV use over the years. It wasn't until I got my 49" KS8500 that I found a VA that performed so well as a monitor. My only complaint is its size. Just too big, IMO. I'm now actually quite torn between IPS/VA as I look for a 43" to replace my 49". I was pretty underwhelmed by the new LG 43" IPS monitor. My decision pretty much is down to the 43X800E or 43KU7500, now.

Rtings.com is an excellent resource, but it's important to keep in mind that they explicitly acknowledge their preference of IPS over VA for computer monitor use. That's really the only reason they ranked the 800E over the 800D.

Yeah, I see. I wasn't questioning why they rated the 800E over the 800D. That makes sense to me. I questioned why they list the 800D instead of the 800E on their Best PC Monitor page. Though, my main question, which I think wyqtor answered, is why they rated the 830C higher than the 800E.

Last edited:
what i gathered reading their reviews is someone dropped the ball and never updated certain areas to reflect what is currently available on the market, though they probably leave it up for awhile because often one can find last years sets for sale pretty far into the current years generation but usually around and after summer last years models are all gone due to closeout pricing. also spring is the best time to get a good deal on TV's as when the new models come out last years models get sold off at deep discounts everywhere including brick and mortar stores.

I have an X900E and use it as a monitor (49 incher). Its awesome. I love it.

May I ask what games you play on it? I really only play World of Tanks and occasionally Battlefield 4. I want to get the 49" or 55" but am scared. Thanks for your reply.

What do you think is the better display between the Sony and the Samsung KS7000 43" ?

May I ask what games you play on it? I really only play World of Tanks and occasionally Battlefield 4. I want to get the 49" or 55" but am scared. Thanks for your reply.

I have been playing doom mostly. The colors are amazing.

Rtings now lists the Sony XBR43X800E as the winner.
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor

not surprising, the D is impossible to buy new and the E which is this years model is as far as i could find the best overall at the size class which is really shrinking in what is available outside of low end units which usually have problems hence why i ended up going with it earlier this year.

worth pointing out this current bug with it though

Update 10/18/2017: There is currently a bug on the Sony X720E that causes the the input lag to rise after the TV is restarted. To make use of the low input lag, it is necessary to change picture mode to something other than "Game" or "Graphics" then back to either for them to function properly.

otherwise it looks to be a slightly toned down feature wise version of the 800E. i've been overall very happy with my 800E

egh. 720e meets the standard for pc monitors. It has 300-350nits brightness, so it won't be too dim, and whites will look white.

Will the TV wake up without having to be powered on when being used as a pc monitor.

no it has to be powered on, and not only that, for my computer if i leave it running and step away the display goes away after a while and i have to move the mouse.

But if it's already on, is there a power saving mode that allows it to be waken up by the pc without out having to turn it on again, similar to a monitor?

i m not going to say 900e is a better monitor than 830c, but i will say that , functionaly its been a more "solid" to work with in terms of pc monitor. whereas i had so more issues with the 800e/830c after long useages, the 900e has been prettty solid in terms of performance and updated software and just connecting and disconnecting from pc mode.

Back